• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So here's a little thought. What would the Smash series be like if Kumazaki took Sakurai's place as the director for the next Smash game? I think it would potentially be better since Kumazaki likely doesn't have the annoying criteria barriers Sakurai is infamous for setting up (Ridley=too big) and he also wouldn't show bias for certain portions of franchises (Classic Kirby over Modern Kirby) as he has been shown to acknowledge every nook and cranny from the Kirby series, including the games he didn't direct. I'm just worried he would have a slight bias for the Kirby series and end up oversaturating it, but I don't think he would ever do that.
I honestly think that's one of if not the only way Bandana Dee stands a chance. Also, if it means we get a lot of fan-favorites given his fan service in Robobot and Star Allies, I'm for it.

I hope Sakurai takes a break but not for that reason. The man has worked on Smash for 20 years, he should get some rest. But yeah that sounds awesome!
TBH, I want a new Smash Director for both reasons, provided they don't go corporate (like Pokemon LGPE). He clearly hates his job, and there are some things others can/would do that Sakurai can't/wouldn't, like with Modern Kirby. At the same time, I hate seeing him suffer like this. I really think a new director that doesn't go corporate would be a win-win.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
im curious why you think that
He keeps mentioning how "he might quit game development" due to the long hours and tough conditions and how he won't "ever get a break". He even mentioned it during a direct, which is worse than just saying it during interviews.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
He keeps mentioning how "he might quit game development" due to the long hours and tough conditions and how he won't "ever get a break". He even mentioned it during a direct, which is worse than just saying it during interviews.
Pretty sure he only says that to get people off of his back for five minutes. If he truly hated his job he would have quit a long time ago.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Pretty sure he only says that to get people off of his back for five minutes. If he truly hated his job he would have quit a long time ago.
I'm not sure about that. I remember Sakurai saying that the only time he makes Smash games is when Nintendo contacts him and tells him to do so. I wouldn't be surprised if he does it because 1: he has no other choice for whatever reason or 2: he can't find it in himself to say no.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm not sure about that. I remember Sakurai saying that the only time he makes Smash games is when Nintendo contacts him and tells him to do so. I wouldn't be surprised if he does it because 1: he has no other choice for whatever reason or 2: he can't find it in himself to say no.
thats a very pessimistic view (pot and kettle coming from me) i think if sakurai really didnt like making smash games it would start to show in his work which i do not get a sense of

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
OK guys, let's assume the worst case scenario: "Brave" isn't BDee and we're left to speculate who the next three newcomers are. What should we do?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
OK guys, let's assume the worst case scenario: "Brave" isn't BDee and we're left to speculate who the next three newcomers are. What should we do?
Why would we even assume Brave is him to begin with? He's already a spirit, so that alone deconfirms him (yes spirits do deconfirm). Also, TBH, I'm extremely pessimistic about the DLC, and I think Joker is gonna be the best we get out of all 6 DLC fighters, so expecting (one of) my most wanted is a no-go.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think BWD fans are in a weird place because we don't really have any cause to rally behind other than getting him into Smash. Isaac fans are trying to get Golden Sun back, Geno fans are trying to get Geno into other games, Elma fans can focus on XCX getting a remake or sequel. With BWD he is already showing up in almost every game and we're still getting tons of Kirby games, Smash really is about the last hurdle for us and all we can do for that now is wait.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
We keep hoping for Bandana Waddle Dee.
Like you said, we have 3 more DLC newcomers (at least).
And we don't know anything about them.
So we continue on like we've done before.

And although I would've loved for it to be the case, I wasn't really expecting BWD to be Brave anyway.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

It seems worth noting that Delzethin Delzethin considers Bandanna Waddle Dee to be a front-runner for DLC (one of the only two first party characters that rank so highly). It seems like his points would help to make the case for the character - his videos are very thorough and informative.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

It seems worth noting that Delzethin Delzethin considers Bandanna Waddle Dee to be a front-runner for DLC (one of the only two first party characters that rank so highly). It seems like his points would help to make the case for the character - his videos are very thorough and informative.
It's heartwarming to see so many youtubers saying Dee is still very liekyly.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Is that Elma's silhouette in the thumbnail too?! YES.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is that Elma's silhouette in the thumbnail too?! YES.
Yeah; she's talked about around the 22 minute mark. Basically, with Rex being considered too recent to be included, it depends on whether or not Sakurai's willing to go back to the previous game in the series from a few years ago, and nobody knows whether or not that would be the case since it's a rather unique/unusual situation. He does say that she has a lot of upsides, though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah; she's talked about around the 22 minute mark. Basically, with Rex being considered too recent to be included, it depends on whether or not Sakurai's willing to go back to the previous game in the series from a few years ago, and nobody knows whether or not that would be the case since it's a rather unique/unusual situation. He does say that she has a lot of upsides, though.
I mean, if Rex was made a Mii Costume off the bat and Sakurai himself said it was too soon, Elma may be a prime choice.

Another Xenoblade candidate from the first game, Mecha-Fiora, was added to Shulk's Final Smash, but given Chrom's well...everything, and how detailed Fiora's model is, she could be another choice if FS cameos are truly no longer deconfirmations. ideally I want both her and Elma, but if it came down to it, I'd take Elma as priority.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I mean, if Rex was made a Mii Costume off the bat and Sakurai himself said it was too soon, Elma may be a prime choice.

Another Xenoblade candidate from the first game, Mecha-Fiora, was added to Shulk's Final Smash, but given Chrom's well...everything, and how detailed Fiora's model is, she could be another choice if FS cameos are truly no longer deconfirmations. ideally I want both her and Elma, but if it came down to it, I'd take Elma as priority.
The only other thing we have to keep in mind: Is there another more qualified Xenoblade character in the running?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm sure the only thing Sakurai has grievances with is the "sequelization" of the game industry, but even then he's still willing to go back to Smash time and again to try to make as many people happy as possible.

Compare to Camelot progressively running out of steam making Mario sports games, until the reaction to the barebones Ultra Smash gave them a slap in the face.

it's very deelightful.
I would say even more that it's deelicious.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm sure the only thing Sakurai has grievances with is the "sequelization" of the game industry, but even then he's still willing to go back to Smash time and again to try to make as many people happy as possible.

Compare to Camelot progressively running out of steam making Mario sports games, until the reaction to the barebones Ultra Smash gave them a slap in the face.
F.

Speaking of which, seeing as Camelot seems to love (or hate, whatever) sequelizing Mario Sports games, with a little oomph from the fanbase is it possible to have a shred of hope for them to make another Golden Sun game? No?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
F.

Speaking of which, seeing as Camelot seems to love (or hate, whatever) sequelizing Mario Sports games, with a little oomph from the fanbase is it possible to have a shred of hope for them to make another Golden Sun game? No?
Theoretically. In fact, the Isaac fans are deadset on doing just that. The main issue is whether Camelot will remain stuck with a few dozen employees for the foreseeable future, so a lot of budget would be needed.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Theoretically. In fact, the Isaac fans are deadset on doing just that. The main issue is whether Camelot will remain stuck with a few dozen employees for the foreseeable future, so a lot of budget would be needed.
That's one of Nintendo's biggest problems. They're in charge of so many different departments yet they refuse to capitalize on it. If they actually devoted resources and manpower toward Camelot we might actually see something happen.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Why would we even assume Brave is him to begin with? He's already a spirit, so that alone deconfirms him (yes spirits do deconfirm). Also, TBH, I'm extremely pessimistic about the DLC, and I think Joker is gonna be the best we get out of all 6 DLC fighters, so expecting (one of) my most wanted is a no-go.
We keep hoping for Bandana Waddle Dee.
Like you said, we have 3 more DLC newcomers (at least).
And we don't know anything about them.
So we continue on like we've done before.

And although I would've loved for it to be the case, I wasn't really expecting BWD to be Brave anyway.
It is not confirmed yet that there will just be one Season Pass. We could get more and if we do, Bandana Dee has a solid chance.

Yes! My gal Elma, Bandana Dee, and Paper Mario are in the thumbnail. :)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Aww. That feels nice.
Just found this online....though I'd drop it here (it was made before Incineroar was revealed btw)
View attachment 188926
Wart and Tatanga would be very cool retro characters to get into Smash someday. I think Wart would deserve it because of how much Doki Doki Panic changed the Mario series by including Bob-Ombs, Shy Guys, and Birdo. Think about it, could you imagine how different Super Mario 64 would be without the iconic Bob-Omb Battlefield and King Bob-Omb? I don't.

Tatanga would deserve it because of him being the main antagonist of the first portable Mario game and Super Mario Land being one of the best selling Mario games of all time having over 19 million copies sold worldwide. Daisy debut in this game and Wario debut in the sequel, so why didn't this guy return? He should in the future.

I think people overlook Wart and Tatanga as possible unique retro reps and don't look into their games importance to the Mario series. I think after Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Piranha Plant, they could be very likely contenders for the next retro rep if we are going by their games importance and perhaps a pattern on who in Nintendo history after those characters would be next in line. I know Piranha Plant isn't technically a retro character, but look at the timeline for when the retros debut:

Game & Watch 1980.

R.O.B. 1985.

Duck Hunt 1985.

Piranha Plant 1985.

So as you can see, the retro characters and Piranha Plant debut in that order which, is the same order when they were included in Smash. If we are going by this pattern, than the next possible retro rep probably has to be a black box character like the Ice Climbers or somebody from Doki Doki Panic. I know the Ice Climbers are retro as well, but I'm just going off by the pattern of the main retro characters in Smash.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Aww. That feels nice.
Just found this online....though I'd drop it here (it was made before Incineroar was revealed btw)
View attachment 188926
Ah, I remember this from the 4 speculation period. That sure aged well.

Wart and Tatanga would be very cool retro characters to get into Smash someday. I think Wart would deserve it because of how much Doki Doki Panic changed the Mario series by including Bob-Ombs, Shy Guys, and Birdo. Think about it, could you imagine how different Super Mario 64 would be without the iconic Bob-Omb Battlefield and King Bob-Omb? I don't.

Tatanga would deserve it because of him being the main antagonist of the first portable Mario game and Super Mario Land being one of the best selling Mario games of all time having over 19 million copies sold worldwide. Daisy debut in this game and Wario debut in the sequel, so why didn't this guy return? He should in the future.

I think people overlook Wart and Tatanga as possible unique retro reps and don't look into their games importance to the Mario series. I think after Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Piranha Plant, they could be very likely contenders for the next retro rep if we are going by their games importance and perhaps a pattern on who in Nintendo history after those characters would be next in line.
I could understand why no one wants to use Tatanga (out of respect for Yokoi?), but I'm not sure why for Wart. It can't be rights issues, since only Doki Doki Panic's main characters never got reused (alongside a few enemies like Pidgit and Phanto). They probably don't know what to do with him at all, seeing as the last thing he got (besides Super Mario Advance) was a cameo in Link's Awakening and its GBC version, and Bowser is the usual go-to major villain out of tradition. At least both of them got spirits.

Although I did always love the idea of Wart's minions functioning as "henchmen for hire" to various evildoers in the Marioverse.

As for other retro characters, I could see them go after Mach Rider (stated Sakurai interest), Pro Wrestling's Star Man (cult classic game, plus a "face" to balance out Incineroar's "heel") and maybe Bubbles (for being so dang unusual in character design and game mechanics).

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I mean, if it came to choosing a boss from Subcon, Wart's not really the one I'd go with. I'd go with someone far more popular...
1548818544060.jpeg

Though I admit, it'd be very easy to make Birdo a Yoshi echo or semi-clone.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, if it came to choosing a boss from Subcon, Wart's not really the one I'd go with. I'd go with someone far more popular...
View attachment 189315
Though I admit, it'd be very easy to make Birdo a Yoshi echo or semi-clone.
I'm a Birdo fan myself, for the record. Besides, as one of the prospective next Mario newcomers in the future, that's very possible.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm a Birdo fan myself, for the record. Besides, as one of the prospective next Mario newcomers in the future, that's very possible.
Ah, nice to see someone else who would appreciate Birdo on the roster. :laugh:

I see Birdo in a similar situation to Waluigi, where he could be a Mario character, but I'd prefer him as a Wario character. For Birdo, I could see 'em as a Yoshi character, despite having no real appearances in the Yoshi series.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Hey y'all, Piranha Plant is now available! You better be trying him out while I'm gone. It came along with the recent update! (surprised?)
To me, this is the best thing from the update not gonna lie...

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hey y'all, Piranha Plant is now available! You better be trying him out while I'm gone. It came along with the recent update! (surprised?)
To me, this is the best thing from the update not gonna lie...
Hmm, well I registered for the points with the My Nintendo points and it's not giving it to me. All as well, I haven't warmed to the plant anyways.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
That's a bummer FancySmash FancySmash , you still have time to redeem it until January 31st. Maybe it's emailed through your spam folder or promotions tab (that's where I found my code). If it still doesn't work try calling Nintendo Support. I've seen a lot of people with this issue on twitter and were able to redeem their code the next day thanks to Nintendo Support. Give it a try when you get the chance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom