• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
To me, 3 reps doesn't sound right for DK, Kirby, and Star Fox. All 3 of those series should have at least 4 or 5 reps.
Ehh I'd argue Star Fox is probably fine with 3, they haven't really had a great showing since the 64 days with most games after doing pretty mediocre. Plus like C. Falcon they come from a game that doesn't exactly lend itself to moveset potential so it's not like there are tons of characters they could even draw from.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ehh I'd argue Star Fox is probably fine with 3, they haven't really had a great showing since the 64 days with most games after doing pretty mediocre. Plus like C. Falcon they come from a game that doesn't exactly lend itself to moveset potential so it's not like there are tons of characters they could even draw from.
That is true that Star Fox doesn't have a lot characters that wouldn't work in Smash. But Krystal though would be perfect for Smash. The majority of people that want a Star Fox newcomer only want Krystal and that is very acceptable in my opinion.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lol! I totally forgot about him.

To me, 3 reps doesn't sound right for DK, Kirby, and Star Fox. All 3 of those series should have at least 4 or 5 reps.
Yeah. Perhaps a little more for DK, seeing the Mario-like seniority it has compared to the others.

Well, the cast is pretty small to begin with, though Krystal and Slippy do have some things going for them. A handful of Echoes would be okay.

But outright removing a character in 4 just because the series does poorly is...yikes.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
That is true that Star Fox doesn't have a lot characters that wouldn't work in Smash. But Krystal though would be perfect for Smash. The majority of people that want a Star Fox newcomer only want Krystal and that is very acceptable in my opinion.
Well, the cast is pretty small to begin with, though Krystal and Slippy do have some things going for them. A handful of Echoes would be okay.

But outright removing a character in 4 just because the series does poorly is...yikes.
I'd agree Krystal would work and I'd be fine with her getting in but if Star Fox didn't already have 3 vets using derivative movesets I'd say Star Fox would be fine with 3 having Krystal being one of them and then Falco or Wolf being a semi-clone of Fox. I know Fox/Falco/Wolf all play differently but I just really feel like its such a waste when we have 3+ characters all derived from the same moveset.

MagnoliaMidna

Smash Rookie
Hey! Just wanted to say I support Bandana Dee too^^
I don't see how people DON'T want him in, he's so cute and he'd be so unique!!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
So after recently purchasing Kirby Star Allies, my interest in Bandana Waddle Dee surged once more (he used to be my #1 pick for a newcomer). I want to bring up an interesting question for you guys: is Kirby deserving of a new rep? (This has probably been talked about before and if it has, my bad).

When it comes to franchises in Smash, I view their reps in two ways:
  1. Core characters - The main stars of the show (usually takes priority)
  2. Peripheral characters - Less important notable characters/side characters (usually added after core characters)
I'll use Mario as an example. With this series, I'd say that Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. are core characters, while Daisy, Dr. Mario, Rosalina, and Piranha Plant are peripheral characters.

As for the Kirby series, I'd say they covered the core characters perfectly. Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight are vital to the series, iconic, and have appeared many, many times in the series. So where does this leave BWD? Well, he's been around since Kirby Super Star (1996), but didn't really hold a lot of significance until Kirby's Return to Dream Land (2011) so I don't think he has that iconic factor going for him that Kirby and the others have, who have been prominent in the series from the start. However, it can't be denied that since Return to Dream Land, BWD has played an important role in the Kirby series. He's essentially established himself as the fourth main character, and is still relevant today with Kirby Star Allies. It's hard for me to decide how to rank BWD, but I'm just going to conclude that he is a very deserving peripheral character. Kirby touched all the bases when it comes to villains so I personally think characters like Marx and Dark Matter are less likely, and BWD is one of those characters that, like Banjo-Kazooie, pretty much already have a moveset made for them. Finally, if Nintendo wants to capitalize on relevant franchises for DLC, then BWD would be perfect thanks to Star Allies.

Looking back on this post, it's more just me compiling my thoughts and getting everything down. But anyway, do you guys think Kirby is deserving of a new rep?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So after recently purchasing Kirby Star Allies, my interest in Bandana Waddle Dee surged once more (he used to be my #1 pick for a newcomer). I want to bring up an interesting question for you guys: is Kirby deserving of a new rep? (This has probably been talked about before and if it has, my bad).

2. Peripheral characters - Less important notable characters/side characters (usually added after core characters)
I'll use Mario as an example. With this series, I'd say that Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. are core characters, while Daisy, Dr. Mario, Rosalina, and Piranha Plant are peripheral characters.

As for the Kirby series, I'd say they covered the core characters perfectly. Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight are vital to the series, iconic, and have appeared many, many times in the series. So where does this leave BWD? Well, he's been around since Kirby Super Star (1996), but didn't really hold a lot of significance until Kirby's Return to Dream Land (2011) so I don't think he has that iconic factor going for him that Kirby and the others have, who have been prominent in the series from the start. However, it can't be denied that since Return to Dream Land, BWD has played an important role in the Kirby series. He's essentially established himself as the fourth main character, and is still relevant today with Kirby Star Allies. It's hard for me to decide how to rank BWD, but I'm just going to conclude that he is a very deserving peripheral character. Kirby touched all the bases when it comes to villains so I personally think characters like Marx and Dark Matter are less likely, and BWD is one of those characters that, like Banjo-Kazooie, pretty much already have a moveset made for them. Finally, if Nintendo wants to capitalize on relevant franchises for DLC, then BWD would be perfect thanks to Star Allies.

Looking back on this post, it's more just me compiling my thoughts and getting everything down. But anyway, do you guys think Kirby is deserving of a new rep?
oh course we do thats the point of the whole thread

also who's a "core" character is subjective i would say bandana has become a core character having evolved into kirby's side kick and i would also say that toad is a core character in the mario series and yet so many as you call them "peripheral" characters have gotten in first

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

Bandana Dee started to hold more significance after 2008 in SSU when he had dialogue and was a boss fight. But even if he's not a "core" character, I think we can all agree that he's very important to Kirby, will most likely always be an important character, will have a creative moveset and lots of people want him. He has those merits, at the very least.

Although I really like your analysis! Great job!

Edit: To answer your question, yes. I do think Kirby deserves a lot more reps.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

As great as having a ton of Kirby characters would be, I agree with a lot of your thinking. Kirby is pretty well represented, and while Kirby characters could be very unique, a lot of them just aren't that important to the series. In most Kirby games they fight a new villain and have the help of a new companion. Characters like Adeline, Marx, and Gooey, while well loved, didn't ever really do much past their first game. There are two characters that break that trend though: Bandana Dee and Magalor.
Bandana Dee, after his introduction in rtdl, has went on to become the fourth main character of the series, appearing in prominently in both the spinoffs and main series games. He's extremely close to being a core character, but just needs a bit more to really solidify him in the cast, and to convince people he is not just a hat goomba once and for all.
Magalor has had reappearances on a much smaller scale. He hosted a mode in Dream Collection and set up the shoppe in clash. He might end up going down the path all the other villains have though. He just sticks out as the most prominent outside of Dee.
The problem with Kirby is that with every game only the main four are usually still prominently featured. If it had a more stable cast, then maybe smash representation would be better.

Not having Bandana Dee yet is stupid though.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I get it when people say that some characters "aren't as important" to their respective series, which makes sense. But at the end of the day we have plenty of small characters, side characters, etc. who aren't that important to their series. I think, when pitching a newcomer, importance is crucial, but we do need to look beyond it a bit.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

Bandana Dee has evolved into a main character, so while he's still a higher-end peripheral character at worst (as in it's arguable if he's a core or not), more time in Kirby games will definitely make him one of the undisputed core characters. It seems that Kumazaki is tiring to make Bandana Dee Kirby's sidekick, but it might take a few more games for that to become apparent to everyone besides Modern Kirby fans.

Kirby is pretty well represented,
I have to disagree there. It has been releasing game after game while other, more dormant franchises and less popular ones have been getting reps, like Metroid (dormant [which, in turn, lowers popularity]), Fire Emblem (less popular [and only is where it is due to Smash]) and to a lesser extent, DK. It might have a good amount of Stages, Items and Assist Trophies, but those things all have one thing in common: being from Sakurai-directed games. A reason a lot of us want Bandana Dee in Smash is because we want some meaningful Modern Kirby representation and to help fill the gap between Kirby and the other series, and Bandana Dee is, as you said, the only one that is prominent enough in the series to truly be justified. If there was no one on Bandana Dee's level in the series, I don't think there would be much talk of a Kirby rep #4.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Bandana Dee has evolved into a main character, so while he's still a higher-end peripheral character at worst (as in it's arguable if he's a core or not), more time in Kirby games will definitely make him one of the undisputed core characters. It seems that Kumazaki is tiring to make Bandana Dee Kirby's sidekick, but it might take a few more games for that to become apparent to everyone besides Modern Kirby fans.

I have to disagree there. It has been releasing game after game while other, more dormant franchises and less popular ones have been getting reps, like Metroid (dormant [which, in turn, lowers popularity]), Fire Emblem (less popular [and only is where it is due to Smash]) and to a lesser extent, DK. It might have a good amount of Stages, Items and Assist Trophies, but those things all have one thing in common: being from Sakurai-directed games. A reason a lot of us want Bandana Dee in Smash is because we want some meaningful Modern Kirby representation and to help fill the gap between Kirby and the other series, and Bandana Dee is, as you said, the only one that is prominent enough in the series to truly be justified. If there was no one on Bandana Dee's level in the series, I don't think there would be much talk of a Kirby rep #4.
Uh, the Metroid franchise definitely isn't dormant. Samus Returns released in 2017, (and heck, Federation Force was in 2016 if you wanna count that) and Metroid Prime 4 is set to release this year, and is in fact, one of the more anticipated games of this year (Though it looks likely to be delayed till next year). And I know you said DK "to a lesser extent", but I don't think we can discount how DK at least deserved to have three reps for how wildly popular it was and still is, but was snubbed for so long until now.
Much as I want Dee and think that Kirby deserves a fourth rep, I don't think its fair to knock DK and Metroid for getting new reps in this game when for one: K. Rool and Ridely were two of the most wanted characters in Smash history (And Dark Samus is not only a prominent and popular character in the Metroid fanbase, but also only an Echo, and thus didn't take much time), and two: those franchises were woefully underrepped in Smash 4 considering their popularity, with both only having two (and in Metroid's case, both reps were the same character). Fire Emblem is more debatable, but I'd rather not open up that can of worms when that topic ended pretty civilly last time it came up on this thread.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Uh, the Metroid franchise definitely isn't dormant. Samus Returns released in 2017, (and heck, Federation Force was in 2016 if you wanna count that) and Metroid Prime 4 is set to release this year, and is in fact, one of the more anticipated games of this year (Though it looks likely to be delayed till next year). And I know you said DK "to a lesser extent", but I don't think we can discount how DK at least deserved to have three reps for how wildly popular it was and still is, but was snubbed for so long until now.
Much as I want Dee and think that Kirby deserves a fourth rep, I don't think its fair to knock DK and Metroid for getting new reps in this game when for one: K. Rool and Ridely were two of the most wanted characters in Smash history (And Dark Samus is not only a prominent and popular character in the Metroid fanbase, but also only an Echo, and thus didn't take much time), and two: those franchises were woefully underrepped in Smash 4 considering their popularity, with both only having two (and in Metroid's case, both reps were the same character). Fire Emblem is more debatable, but I'd rather not open up that can of worms when that topic ended pretty civilly last time it came up on this thread.
I wouldn't really boast about Federation Force and I'm not so sure about the MP4 release date either, but just about everything you said is correct. The thing is, Metroid has mainly Samus and Ridley for recurring characters and doesn't star many other characters that way (Dark Samus being a semi-exception). Although yeah I wouldn't bash either Metroid or DK.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah, as someone who adores Metroid, as far as characters go it's pretty much perfect. Ridley was all it really needed and Dark Samus was the cherry on top. I'd much rather future games focus on adding unique locals and songs.

Somewhere with limited technology and no lava/acid.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah, as someone who adores Metroid, as far as characters go it's pretty much perfect. Ridley was all it really needed and Dark Samus was the cherry on top. I'd much rather future games focus on adding unique locals and songs.

Somewhere with limited technology and no lava/acid.
I'd like a Metroid stage that isn't all "depths of Hell and lava or whatever" style that we have.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Fair enough. DK does deserve King K. Rool and arguably Dixie or Funky. I was more so going on about how DK is less seen as a DK character and more as a Mario character. As for Metroid, I was talking about 1: how it was dormant for 6 years between Other M and Federation Force/Samus Returns and 2: how in spite of said 6-year dormancy, ended up getting more reps than Kirby while Kirby only missed one of those years (counting spin-offs, but not VC releases) and managed to be a bigger seller than both Metroid and Star Fox combined.

Sorry if i've been coming off as rude towards the DK and Metroid fans, it just makes me angry that all of the other major Nintendo franchises get fighters (new or returning) and new stages while Kirby gets nothing.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Not to mention the several times where it just broke, and the times it was locked outright. It's been through a lot.
Personally I'd like it because I'd get to have all four members of the BitF quartet in Smash. :p
what's BitF
It's a beloved comic called Brawl in the Family. If I'm remembering it correctly, the main characters were Kirby, Dedede, Adeleine, and Meta Knight.
Fun fact: the creator of the comic is on Smashboards under the handle TriforceBun TriforceBun .

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I gotta say, if the SNES online datamine is true, I'm rather humbled by the fact that both of my childhood Kirby games are in there.

(Except Kirby's Avalanche, but it's really just Puyo Puyo wearing Kirby's skin and, frankly, as fun as the game is, smart-alecky Kirby isn't really something that needs to be reminded of.)

Personally I'd like it because I'd get to have all four members of the BitF quartet in Smash. :p
I would not be mad at all, since I like Kirby characters equally.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I gotta say, if the SNES online datamine is true, I'm rather humbled by the fact that both of my childhood Kirby games are in there.

(Except Kirby's Avalanche, but it's really just Puyo Puyo wearing Kirby's skin and, frankly, as fun as the game is, smart-alecky Kirby isn't really something that needs to be reminded of.)

I would not be mad at all, since I like Kirby characters equally.
I'm not up to date: What Kirby games are supposedly in the datamine?

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I think BWD is going to be pushed as "Kirby's Luigi" as more games are made mainly because he is already portrayed as his sidekick in Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale (and arguably Star Allies, since he is the first Dream Friend you get, at least in base game). It makes sense though. BWD's main purpose is to be the representive of the Waddle Dees and the Waddle Dee main character of the games. May I remind you that Waddle Dees are the secondary mascot of Kirby, so why wouldn't you have the characterized, prominent Waddle Dee as your 2nd main character? Those are my thoughts.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I think BWD is going to be pushed as "Kirby's Luigi" as more games are made mainly because he is already portrayed as his sidekick in Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale (and arguably Star Allies, since he is the first Dream Friend you get, at least in base game). It makes sense though. BWD's main purpose is to be the representive of the Waddle Dees and the Waddle Dee main character of the games. May I remind you that Waddle Dees are the secondary mascot of Kirby, so why wouldn't you have the characterized, prominent Waddle Dee as your 2nd main character? Those are my thoughts.
I hope so, since they would guarantee Bandana Dee getting in (well, besides the impassible obstacle that is Sakurai bias)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Those are thoughtful thoughts, my thoughtful ally.

I feel like it all boild down to what the developers meant by the "next phase" of the Kirby series. If it means we'll start to see emphasis on more characters via spinoffs and such, a BWD spinoff should solidify every reason for his inclusion.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I feel like it all boild down to what the developers meant by the "next phase" of the Kirby series. If it means we'll start to see emphasis on more characters via spinoffs and such, a BWD spinoff should solidify every reason for his inclusion.
That'd be fair. Kumazaki's been getting rusty lately, so they'll need to change things up a bit.

Also, there is one thing I've been wondering about; all the traditional platformers with abilities and swallowing can currently be undeniably counted as part of the "main" series, right? Given that Prince Fluff and Elline weren't even considered to be added as Dream Friends.

I hope so, since they would guarantee Bandana Dee getting in (well, besides the impassible obstacle that is Sakurai bias)
At that point, the only thing to do is sneak in Kumazaki as an assistant director.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Also, there is one thing I've been wondering about; all the traditional platformers with abilities and swallowing can currently be undeniably counted as part of the "main" series, right? Given that Prince Fluff and Elline weren't even considered to be added as Dream Friends.
I guess? Epic Yarn was still a multiplayer platformer but yeah it had it's differences. Rainbow Curse (and Canvas Curse for that matter) were definately spinoff-based.

Edit: I wonder if Prince Fluff would have been a dream friend if we got that Epic Yarn stage instead of Wooly World....

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman

I think the "next phase of Kirby" thing was taken out of context.
https://www.hallab.co.jp/company/blog/detail/003271/
When translating the page to English, it's clear that Kuzamaki was referring to Star Allies when he said "next phase".

Top Bottom