• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Version 2 Release

DSP

Smash Apprentice
Downloaded it, put it on an empty SD card. Tried with the FINAL_PAL folder on the otherwise empty SD root, didn't work. Extracted the content of the FINAL_PAL, so that only the boot.elf and the other folders were on the SD root, still no luck when entering the Stage Builder. SD card is 1GB. Where could be my problem?

DSP

Smash Apprentice
Never mind. The way to do it in PAL was kinda hidden (involves riivolution), but worked out. Having a blast with a buddy playing Ganny dittos right now. Thank you hackers!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Random question.

I'm skimming the changelists, and I noticed that there's a lot of data on D-smashes where the hitbox is listed as initiating a few frames earlier than conventional frame data states.

Mario's D-smash is frame 5, yet on the BBRawl site the changes describe a frame 3 hitbox.

Ganon's D-smash is frame 15, but is described as having a change on a frame 11 hitbox.

There's a few more I don't care to site, but any explanation as to how that works?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
For all smash attacks, you'll notice that (not just dsmashes). Internally, doing a smash actually moves you through three subactions. Initiating, charging, and releasing. The frame numbers indicate on what frame of releasing it hits. This was a much easier method to use to document since it's what the game uses internally, and it doesn't make the common mistake of assuming smashes are minimally charged. Also, the documentation is meant to act as our sort of equivalent of "source code" for our .pac files so information is presented in a way to make anyone following along with PSA have as easy of a time as possible seeing what we did (we fudged a bit on Jigglypuff's Mystery Gift, which has a fairly lengthy chunk of original code, and for the Kirby hats which were all done with hex editing and thus fairly undocumentable).

I'm honestly surprised no one has asked earlier. I guess not many people read over the technical changelists.

Further, to answer your next question, knockback growth is used as the primary knockback factor on fixed knockback moves. Weight knockback is a value only used on fix knockback moves. So if you wonder why moves with fixed knockback had knockback growth or why weight knockback only appeared in a few moves, that's why. Granted, we did make some moves fixed knockback using 0 knockback growth and some base knockback (which the game itself never does) so you'll just have to watch for that.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm going to get a more clear PAL upload and instructions tonight, kinda busy around here.

Laos Oman

Smash Cadet
The PAL version doesn't work.

And I don't mean it works improperly, it just doesn't launch at all. I go to Stage Builder, no custom stages, SD card inserted, and nothing happens.

Apparently a poster before me had the same problem, and the solution is something with gecko OS, but I don't know what that means. So yeah, I'd be thankful for a clearer instruction.

FinalDoomGuy

Smash Cadet
Laos, just go to the SD card in the Wii menu and a pop up will tell you boot up something. Say yes. Riivoulution should come up. On it, go to launch.

That's the way I do it.

G_Man

Smash Rookie
Can anyone tell me which codes are involved in the BB2-gtc.File? Is there already an infinity-replay-hack? Is there a list?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Doesn't look like that project is ever going to get anywhere. Would certainly be nice, though.
This times two really. I'm extremely skeptical they are going to be able to do the only thing that would actually improve Brawl WiFi, and that's reworking the netcode. The amount of work doing that would entail is really very hard to even express; it would make all Brawl hacking up to this point done by anyone look easy.

G_Man

Smash Rookie
Another Question: If i played with the gtc.File online, it comes always to desynchs. Without the gtc.file always works well. Both players had the same code-set, but nevertheless it causes desynchs. What could that be? Has anyone the same problem? Playing BB2 without the gtc.File is not that bad, but without this code-set you haven't any replay-hack and gameplay-changes like planking-limit etc.

Shade²

Smash Rookie
Hi. I'm new to the community and would like to enjoy playing Balanced Brawl to its fullest.
But I have some troubles:
-I own an original PAL copy of SSBB but my lens is out of use.
-I have downloaded it to a hard drive to be able to play it, however I get some issues (videos...), meaning the dump is not that good in the beggining, but I can play it in Brawl mode without problems.
-One of the most important issue is that I can't get your PAL gct to work... I get a green screen at launch due to your File replacement code (I already had this screen while I was trying to get the texture hack to work).

However I have a File replacement code that works fine and loads the files from Balanced Brawl (and other textures) correctly (I get the characters changes, like Ganondorf's Dark dive burrying the enemy in the ground, or the "Balanced brawl" picture at the title screen) but I miss the other codes you put in your PAL gct file... Could you post the PAL codes you filled your gct file with somewhere please? Thank you!

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
There is no file replacement code for PAL; PAL users must boot through Riivolution.

Shade²

Smash Rookie
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32197/t1496304-guide-to-texture-hacking/
Look at "Spoiler: PAL code"

There is ^^ Maybe it is out-of-date, but it works fine for me for the time being.
And as I said, I can't use my DVD reader at all... and Riivolution tries to load a disc from it. Also I have some of the changes from the files by applying only the File replacement code above (Cancelable Peach Bomber, Zelda's sliding neutral B attack,... I even noticed that in Hyrule Castle from SSBM, the Smash Ball doesn't go through wall anymore, that means the stage is loaded from the SD).

(fooling around... maybe this code could make the PAL project go a little further... who knows... but it makes me wonder... how come no one found this code before me here? (I assume, as you said there wasn't a code for PAL, that no one found it) I just had to google "file replacement PAL wii" and got this very code in the results...)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
That PAL code is outdated and not as good as the NTSC code. We don't trust it, but of course we know it exists.

Riivolution works fine for all users of real discs. I'm not sure it's reasonable for us to have to support USB loaders.

Shade²

Smash Rookie
I understand your point of view, it works for me like any of the pre-made PAL File Replacement gct... My problem is not about the use of USB Loader or not, it is about the others codes used in your GCT file. If there isn't a File replacement code in it, there is a code that makes my Wii go green screen... I would like to add and test the codes one after another to pinpoint the culprit code(s) please.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I have a problem. I have BBrawl and all the files on the SD card are in the correct places (my SD isn't empty btw) but whenever I load BBrawl and play in any mode the game freezes at the end of a match (for the exception of Wifi where I just lose connection 80% the time). Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
At the end of the match as opposed to the beginning? That one is new to me, but doubtless there should be a diagnosis possible. You could have some corrupt file so you may want to re-download Balanced Brawl. You also might want to check replays on both your Wii and SD card to see if you have a corrupt one somewhere that's causing issues (I've never heard of this happening, but it would be logical).

Otherwise, describe conditions. Does the crash happen using any characters and on any stage? When exactly does the crash happen; is it while "GAME" is on the screen, during the results screen, or when you are going back to the character select screen? Is it a hard crash (with buzzing) or a soft crash (the game just stops doing anything)? Are you using NTSC or PAL?

The .txt version of the codes should have been included in the Bbrawl download, for Shade squared. Having crashing pre-boot is unusual though; we've had other PAL users able to use our .gct with no issue (it should be noted that we have some "off by default" codes in the .txt; are you claiming one of those when enabled causes issues?).

Ike_Turner

Smash Rookie
I got it working with USB Loader GX using the old double GCT method. I believe USB Loader still uses some old Gecko version to load codes, so you can't have more than 256 lines.

The double GCT method loads a small code file, that activates when the game boots. The codes in turn load codes from another, larger file, elsewhere on the SD card, and give you everything you need.

If you google search Smashboards for the "double gct method" you'll find information on it. I believe it's considered an old method now, but hey, an old method for an old Ocarina version :p

EDIT: here it is: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7025153&postcount=197 You'll have to make your own code file for this method using Code Manager, though. It's all quite simple.
could u kindly up the files you use for usb loader gx plz

Mit

Smash Ace
could u kindly up the files you use for usb loader gx plz
Unfortunately I did it for a friend's Wii and do not have the files myself. All I did was use the newest version of Code Manager (google it), put the codes from the thread into a .txt file, open the text file in Code Manager, and export it as a new .gct. Then you just put the BBrawl .gct in the directory listed in the thread I linked to. Then you should be good to go.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Basically, it crashes when:
1) You try to exit training mode after playing
2) You try to exit Subspace Emissary after playing
3) At the results screen after you've played a Brawl and everyone has pressed "ready for the next fight".

Though I will try what you've said. I have a lot of replays on my Wii so I may just have to delete most of them.

Shade²

Smash Rookie
The .txt version of the codes should have been included in the Bbrawl download, for Shade squared. Having crashing pre-boot is unusual though; we've had other PAL users able to use our .gct with no issue (it should be noted that we have some "off by default" codes in the .txt; are you claiming one of those when enabled causes issues?).
Well... there is no such txt file in the PAL pack, nor in the Download section on the website. I didn't enable/disable any code nor temper the gct... just took it "as is".

I think my Brawl is quite buggy though. I'll try to find a clean one and give you the results.
But my problem with the other codes remains: I just would like to create my custom gct file, including the File replacement code by myself, in order to fully be able to play BBrawl as I can't use my Wii DVD reader. All I need is the code list in plain text please.

I played the partial BBrawl I have with only the files on the SD card with friends, they felt the difference and enjoyed it! Keep up the good work :)

@SiLeNtDoOm: I had once the same type of crash after everyone has pressed "ready for the next battle": my save was corrupted... Does it do it again if you don't use BBrawl?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Needz moar
"For more details, visit our official web, www.balancedbrawl.net"

Shade²

Smash Rookie
No, as long as you have Bannerbomb (see SD:\private\wii\app\aktn\), and Riivolution's boot.elf at the root of your SD card. When you go to the SD channels management from the Wii desktop panel, it will automaticly make pop a "Load boot.dol/boot.elf? If you paid for this, you've been scammed" (something like that), and then load Riivolution.

Lethe Albion

Smash Rookie
Umm, I have a major problem with this. How in the WORLD are you supposed to get it to work? I did everything imaginable. I know nothing about homebrew or hacking so don't even try explaining them. I did however try the following: Went to the website, downloaded the American version, unzipped it (on a mac) found the unzipped folder with the 4 items inside it and moved it to an SD card. I just plopped it in right next the folder named "private". I also moved all of the custom stages I made onto the SD card and moved them off the SD card and onto my computer so there's nothing on there except the BalancedBrawl2 folder. IT STILL WON'T WORK. I went to vault, stage builder, press A, nothing. I tried using a different SD card. Nothing. I tried moving the folder all the way into the folders and sitting it next to "st" "al" and "rp". STILL NOTHING. What on earth am I doing wrong here?

King Luigi 128

Smash Cadet
I did however try the following: Went to the website, downloaded the American version, unzipped it (on a mac) found the unzipped folder with the 4 items inside it and moved it to an SD card.
I just plopped it in right next the folder named "private".
[...] so there's nothing on there except the BalancedBrawl2 folder.
[...] I tried moving the folder all the way into the folders and sitting it next to "st" "al" and "rp".
What on earth am I doing wrong here?
You need to take those 4 items inside the unzipped folder & put them on the root of your SD Card.
The "root" meaning they aren't inside any folders, those 4 items should be the 1st you see when you look at your SD Card.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Did you removed all the Stages in the SD card? including the one on the Download?

King Luigi 128

Smash Cadet
Well you must have missed something, so let's go through the steps again...
Now let's assume that the SD Card you're using is completely empty & move on from there:

1. Delete (or move) all of the Brawl Custom Stages off your Wii.
  2. Download the correct BBrawl files for your region (in this case that's the NTSC-U set).
    Unzip those files & copy the 4 items you find to the root of your SD Card (like I said in my earlier post).
  3. Put your SD Card in your Wii then start Brawl & immediately go to the Stage Builder in the Vault section.
  4. The loader should be ready after a few seconds, then just press A and enjoy!
Your SD Card is only 2GB so that shouldn't cause any issues, so it must be 1 of these steps where things are going wrong.

Top Bottom