• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelaurion

Smash Rookie
OK maybe I'm not done with you guys yet xD I've gotten Gecko up and running now, but when I load Brawl from it (with all the Balanced Brawl folders and files in the right places on the SD) it says "No SD codes found" and nothing happens when I open the Stage Builder. Do I need to play with the config in the Gecko menu?

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
OK maybe I'm not done with you guys yet xD I've gotten Gecko up and running now, but when I load Brawl from it (with all the Balanced Brawl folders and files in the right places on the SD) it says "No SD codes found" and nothing happens when I open the Stage Builder. Do I need to play with the config in the Gecko menu?
Unsure what to do here, but I know that if you load via Homebrew you don't need to run stack smash. As a matter of fact having it can make the game lock on the stage select screen. Or at least does in brawl+, they may have fixed it for Balanced. :p

Zelaurion

Smash Rookie
Well I tried removing smash stack from the private folder, and that didn't work, and then I tried removing the private folder altogether, and that didn't work either. What I really need is someone who has BBrawl working on their PAL Wii to post the exact setup of the the files on their SD card, so I can see what I'm doing wrong. Either that, or maybe Thinkaman or AA can help me out =D

Zelaurion

Smash Rookie
OK I've just read up a little on Smash Stack, and it seems it only works for NTSC Wiis, so I'm assuming because of this that if BBrawl has been seen to work on PAL Wiis, that Gecko must be able to load the codes, rather than loading them from the Stage Builder. Where do I need to put the rsbpo1.gct file in my SD card for Gecko to find it and load it when I run Brawl?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Well I tried removing smash stack from the private folder, and that didn't work, and then I tried removing the private folder altogether, and that didn't work either. What I really need is someone who has BBrawl working on their PAL Wii to post the exact setup of the the files on their SD card, so I can see what I'm doing wrong. Either that, or maybe Thinkaman or AA can help me out =D
From the root of the SD card, do you have a folder called "codes" and a file inside called "rsbp01.gct"? If the answer is "no", that's your problem. The rsbp01.gct file is something you should have downloaded from the links in the first post.

Zelaurion

Smash Rookie
The file I have is called RSBE01.gct - E instead of P. O_o not sure how that happened.
I think I'll redownload it and try again lol, I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Editing again, I just found an individual file called RSBP01.gct on the downloads page, I'll try downloading that and replacing the other file in the codes folder with it.

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
The file I have is called RSBE01.gct - E instead of P. O_o not sure how that happened.
I think I'll redownload it and try again lol, I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Editing again, I just found an individual file called RSBP01.gct on the downloads page, I'll try downloading that and replacing the other file in the codes folder with it.
Sounds like you may have the wrong codeset for Pal. :)

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
I still have to ask: Would Bowser Bomb going through stuff like say Diddy bananas... or an air filled puffball lazily reaching its arm in the air REALLY break game balance? The move is hard enough to hit with as it is.

Super armour to Bowser Bomb JUST SOMETHING TO CONSIDER.

:(

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yes, it actually does. It would give you something way too safe to return to the ground with. Not every character can have that. Plus his d-air is so much better for saying GTFO when someones trying to juggle. It's like links now in how good it is

Zelaurion

Smash Rookie
Sounds like you may have the wrong codeset for Pal. :)
Yeah I did lol, it's working now. Unfortunately, until the PAL version of Smash Stack is released, I can't access any of the edited stages, or the Wifi Waiting Room map =/
But still, I've checked all of the character edits, and they're all working. Ganondorf's UpB is a beastly edgeguard now :O and Yoshi's recovery is so much better now! Anyway, if it hasn't been confirmed already, I can confirm it now; Balanced Brawl is working with PAL Wii consoles.
It might be wise to add to the main page that PAL users have to download the RSBP.gct file along with the main zip folder, and replace the RSBE.gct file in the codes folder with it, before they can successfully run BBrawl through Gecko and the Homebrew channel.
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm off to bed now, and tomorrow I'm going to get a load of friends to come to my house after school and have a BBrawl tourney ^^

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm off to bed now, and tomorrow I'm going to get a load of friends to come to my house after school and have a BBrawl tourney ^^
If any of them play as Meta Knight, give them the PAWNCH! :D

Also, show them just how awesome yoshi is. :)

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I found another glitch.
This one has to Samus's Z air.
When used in boss battles on a boss it sends Samus flying to her death.
Not always but most of the time it does.

o_o
When you do this in SSE it does the same thing but it also ****es up the camera unless Samus is the last character (then its just game over).
At least you get to see a part of the stage that was unavailable.
This also works in the boss battle healing room, though it's impossible to die there, Samus just get's sent flying and you hear the audience make the sound when someone dies but I'm guessing she just flew past the teleporter in the middle and took me to the next boss, everything was so fast I couldn't tell.

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it actually does. It would give you something way too safe to return to the ground with. Not every character can have that. Plus his d-air is so much better for saying GTFO when someones trying to juggle. It's like links now in how good it is
Ah well, I can dream.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I still have to ask: Would Bowser Bomb going through stuff like say Diddy bananas... or an air filled puffball lazily reaching its arm in the air REALLY break game balance? The move is hard enough to hit with as it is.

Super armour to Bowser Bomb JUST SOMETHING TO CONSIDER.

:(
Well, the only thing I can see being kinda lame about this is edgestalling with it. And then now that I think about it, grabbing the ledge from above with super armor is pretty gay. Meaning that the only way to punish Bowser's high recovery would be to time a grab with insane precision.

Not really matchup breaking, but it does sound kinda stupid. Although Bowser does in fact need a buff to his recovery...

Oh and lol, Mario's U-tilt beats Bowser's Down-B.

JOE!

Smash Hero
the start-up is essentially punished by accident, it is very hard to see it coming in time to attack him on the way up.

as for when he falls, some SA wouldnt hurt...is it possible to give maybe say, 10% worth or such?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
You can make damage dependent SA in PSA so it would make sense that you should be able to hex edit it to do so.

JOE!

Smash Hero
yeah, i wouldnt see an issue with him having just enough SA to plow though most Uairs or Utilts or whatnot...

Maybe like 12% needed to break?

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
the start-up is essentially punished by accident, it is very hard to see it coming in time to attack him on the way up.

as for when he falls, some SA wouldnt hurt...is it possible to give maybe say, 10% worth or such?
I like this. :)

Not that Yoshi needs it but something similar would be awesome. :D

Of course i ahve a better idea. If bowser lands his Bowser Bomb on the gorund, all grounded targets trip.
Tactically effective, not really, but funny as hell. :)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
The point of this is to help balance MU's. If you can find some instances where this would improve a MU then put it on here to make it legit.

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
The point of this is to help balance MU's. If you can find some instances where this would improve a MU then put it on here to make it legit.
The tripping would improve Bowser in FFA or team games I suppose. Namely because it would give him the ability to be an annoyance, an ability Bowser severely lacks. And when you think about it, Yoshi's bomb is a bit safer due to the stars. Bowser's should at least have a trip box with similar range(or larger due to it having much more landing lag).

Also, a change to Yoshi that'd be absolutely lovely, the ability to tether with his Neutral B. However I doubt this as I'm unsure if that'd be significantly better a change than I realise, would certainly provide for easier edge hogging with Yoshi.

On that note, can yoshi's d-tilt trip? I don't recall. If not, the tip of his tail being able to trip would be excellent.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'm looking for how it helps his bad MU's specifically, because if it were to **** someone such as Ganondorf then it doesn't contribute to the balance. You see, the point of all of the changes that AA and Thinkaman made are to help a characters bad MU's and not improve good MU's. Lets take for example Bowser's down-b landing, Metaknight could easily hop over the tripping range and attack you, or Snake could just throw a grenade. However Ganondorf would be punished by the trip box and Bowser would gain an advantage in his already bad MU. This is why we need evidence before a suggestion. Take for example my desire for a Lucas U-air buff. Lucas' bad MU Marth has a weak spot below him, however Lucas has little to nothing to exploit it, however Ganondorf has a strong d-air that will stop Lucas from abusing it. A buff is only good when it doesn't make people worse off.

JOE!

Smash Hero
yoshi's bomb is fine

Bowser's however would honestly be a bit of an anti-annoyance tool...seeing as its kinda odd taht the biggest baddest character rocketting towards you from above gets beating by like...Mario's utilt.

just SA on the plummet...as allways, just test it first, see if anything bad happens

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
yoshi's bomb is fine

Bowser's however would honestly be a bit of an anti-annoyance tool...seeing as its kinda odd taht the biggest baddest character rocketting towards you from above gets beating by like...Mario's utilt.

just SA on the plummet...as allways, just test it first, see if anything bad happens
I agree with this. :)

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Oh man.

That Samus zAir is completely broken.

It locked the ****ing blastzones.

By the way, it only happens on stages that are on the second layer of the disc. (Yep, stage dependant, and you don't have to hit anything with it!)

bBrawl Emissary is sooooooo fun.

Going through all the stages with Ganondorf/Bowser/Falcon/Link. It's. EPIC. I shielded Mario throwing my partner (Bowser) and there was soooo much hitlag XD I also pulled a decent techchase off on Peach.

Which led me to an interesting proposition.

Increasing the damage on Charizard's get-up attack.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
interesting idea linkshot. but unless it's enough to make it so snake/ddd/falco can't shieldgrab it or it has a good chance at poking their shield, it probably won't do much for him.

bobson

Smash Lord
Also, a change to Yoshi that'd be absolutely lovely, the ability to tether with his Neutral B. However I doubt this as I'm unsure if that'd be significantly better a change than I realise, would certainly provide for easier edge hogging with Yoshi.
Given that Yoshi has no tether animation, I doubt this is possible without really hefty modifications.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What Bowser needs is like reduced landing lag on Up-B. The hard landing lag on his Up-B is BULL****.

Bowser has the worst "decent" recovery in the entire game. Thanks to his high top air speed, he has viable distance. In terms of everything else, it's pretty much bottom tier. His recovery is mad predictable for multiple reasons. He has next to no safe options to throw out while recovering that have respectable priority, and his Up-B is one of the easiest in the game to punish due to its lack of vertical distance, not to mention bad landing lag if he chooses to land on stage and rather low priority. As I recall, his air dodge (not to mention Bowser's dodges in general) is one of the laggier ones in the game, which doesn't help much either when you need to get lower. Oh right, and as for trying to get lower, keep in mind he's never going that low since his vertical distance on recovery sucks.

Aside from rather underwhelming safety on attacks in general (I personally think Bowser's U-tilt in particular is unnecessarily laggy), Bowser from what I can tell really suffers against people who have gimp tools that can punish his recovery. It doesn't really take a brain to be able to hit Bowser when he's offstage, so if you can hit him with a move that gimps (or kills), he's basically a goner once he's offstage, and it's not terribly hard to rack on massive damage on Bowser offstage if your character has a good offstage chase game. Mario for example beats Bowser in vBrawl because of the Cape getting pretty close to guaranteeing gimps offstage, and Ganondorf similarly finds Bowser to be one of his better matchups due to how easily he can spike Bowser out of recovery or otherwise punish it hard (although Ganondorf lacks fundamentally reliable pokes or approaches that would otherwise secure a solid advantage against Bowser).

tl;dr: Bowser's recovery sucks too much. Take away some of the bull**** landing lag on it at least since that is easily one of his more fundamentally significant problems, limiting his already pretty terrible options for getting back on stage safely when the stage is not battlefield.

And off-topic, but I recently spiked Nezumi's Pit to death with Bowser's D-air in vBrawl lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom