• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced brawl Falcon

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
anyone try the balanced brawl falcon yet? doesnt seem like much of a difference except of the down tilt tripping and being a bit more laggy and his grab pummle has an eletric effect(which looks awsome)

discuss?

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I'm not interested at all. People will think I'm crazy, but I think Brawl is balanced just fine. I'm not saying there aren't tiers, I'm just saying that the way the game is balanced right now, I'm fine with.

Besides, I'd only really accept and want to play a game changed by the developers who made the game.

Mit

Smash Ace
I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet, but I heard they made changes to Raptor Boost and Falcon Kick so that it never works to our disadvantage when we hit people with them. Raptor Boost hits people higher with better hitstun or something, and the angle and distance that Falcon Kick hits people is increased. I think those two changes as well as the dtilt tripping and general increases to hit damage/knockback will make him a lot better.

I still wouldn't say they've made him at the level of Fox, like they said they wanted all the characters to be, but that's mostly because of Falcon's tendency to get camped pretty hard, and do poorly against disjointed hitboxes.

Also, I think I'd rather have a flame effect to his pummels :p

Acedude55

Smash Ace
I haven't tryed him yet, though I WOULD love to....see the slight changes that have been added and all.

And doesn't his grab pummel already have an electric effect? (If you look closely it seems so)

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
lol the knee of justice is stronger than its melee counterpart

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
I´m going to try it as soon as PAL version is out, not only because of falcon but also because of other characters.. The knee now kills silly early , his pummel is stronger and seem overall more balanced.. And no more chaingrabs, infinites, and some footstool combos (like our infinite on ROB doesnt work, but it seems like DKs ground footstool -> SideB does).

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I'm not interested at all. People will think I'm crazy, but I think Brawl is balanced just fine. I'm not saying there aren't tiers, I'm just saying that the way the game is balanced right now, I'm fine with.

Besides, I'd only really accept and want to play a game changed by the developers who made the game.
I actually agree with you. I mean, I know it's for fun and all, but that's what most Brawl players are dissed about. Having fun instead of being competitive, when in the slogan of B+ I find, "I want fun speed, activate now!" or something along that line.

If the developers didn't do it, then I'm not for it. Playing with Captain Falcon as he is is a true test to competitive brawlers. I love the challenges of trying to outwit an opponent with a disjointed hitbox. Just my opinion though.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Brawl+ is awesome

i **** mks so hard in that game

my friends gonna upload a video of my sandbagging agaisnt his mk and still winning

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Brawl+ is awesome

i **** mks so hard in that game

my friends gonna upload a video of my sandbagging agaisnt his mk and still winning
Why MK? So much unnecessary hate towards him. He's number one, no matter how much people dislike it, and if/when the fourth installment of SSB comes out, he'll either still be the best or you're going to hate the next best person.

Player-3

Smash Hero
LOL seraphim i wasnt hating on him
i was just saying i was ****** my friends mk out the *******, along with any other character he played

except for IC for some reason, NANA WAS ACTUALLY INTELLIGENT FOR ONCE

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
lol, fine. I've seen some BBrawl videos, and it looks pretty amazing. Ike being able to QD back and forth without going into fall state is awesome. Cpt. Falcon's electric knee pummel is beautiful, and the fact that he doesn't go into fall state after successful hits from air Side B is nice.

Ahem... I'm still for the original, though.

<_< I can't wait until they get codes for non-hacked Wiis.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I don't have all the necessary stuff to do it.

I'm also currently unemployed, making it hard to get the stuff required to do it. On top of all that, I have to downgrade hack my Wii and then hack it for the balanced brawl and brawl+.

All that being said, it'll take a while.

Player-3

Smash Hero
yeah you dont need twilight princess anymore theres some super hax wii bomb or something that nukes your wii so you can hax it

Mit

Smash Ace
I hacked my Wii a couple days ago. I had earlier firmware so it wasn't too hard (I don't think it's that hard anymore with new firmware either though). I did texture hacks as well, pretty cool.

I love what I've played of BBrawl though. The game feels almost the same as before, except all the little changes already make just about every single character viable for competitive play, even Link, Puff, Ganon, and Falcon (Puff could probably use a bit of work still though). Falcon plays pretty much the same, although you'll notice the increase in power overall right away, from all the minor buffs to just about all of his moves. Falcon Kick is an amazing move, because it hurts, it knocks people back far (far enough to kill at high percents too), and they always get knocked back far enough so that they can't punish you for hitting them. Same for raptor boost, although raptor boost is infinitely less useful to me, and much more dangerous to use due to the ending lag if you miss. Oh and, falcon dive is just as much of a kill move as any of falcon's smashes, or a knee now.

Didn't land many knees, although they apparently nerfed their initial buff to it by about half. I'm okay with a super buffed knee though. It's way harder to hit than the knee in Melee, and I think should offer maximum reward for pulling it off (if you get hit by a knee in competitive play, you deserve it). Didn't mess with the new dtilt very much either.

If you play the same Falcon you've been playing, he'll just work, a lot better. Mainly because it's easier to kill, you don't get punished for stupid things like hitting your opponent with a move (*cough* falcon kick low percents *cough*), and the few hits we get off throughout a stock are more effective, and ultimately make it easier for us to keep up with our opponents in racking up damage and killing.

Link is an absolute blast to play (he's basically a heavyweight now), so is Jigglypuff, Ganon is a beast, Mario is great, and all the top tier characters don't have their broken tricks to rely on. I really hope BBrawl catches on. It's a lot easier to get into than Brawl+ because it plays just like vanilla Brawl, except more characters (read: all characters) and stages are viable for competitive play. The biggest barrier will be having to hack your Wii to play it (which everyone can do, they just have to put forth the effort).

JOE!

Smash Hero
5. :falcon: Captain Falcon
GAME CHANGER: Down tilt trips (+0/1/2% damage)

The trip out of down tilt is very easy for Captain Falcon to tech chase with grabs, smashes for opponents that stay close, or Raptor Boost/Falcon Kick for opponents who roll away. A little smart play and a simple down tilt will get enemies where you want them! Observant players will notice five extra frames of ending lag on down tilt; let's just say those are very necessary to avoid some very ugly infinites and don't really inhibit Captain Falcon's newfound trip chase game. Now for some smaller changes:

-Slightly more knockback on forward smash up (85/20) -> (90/20)
-Improved angle on forward smash down (40) -> (35)
-Slightly increased knockback on down smash (80/20) -> (80/25)
-Slightly more damage on forward tilt (+1%)
-Slightly more knockback on forward tilt (100/~) -> (110/~)
-Improved angle on lower forward tilt hitboxes (set to 25)
-Improved angle on up tilt (set to 20)
-More damage on pummel and awesome electric effect (2%) -> (3%)
-More damage on forward aerial knee sweetspot (19%) -> (24%)
-More damage on neutral aerial second kick (6%) -> (7%)
-More damage on Raptor Boost: ground (7%) -> (8%), aerial (7%) -> (10%)
-Superior knockback for followup on Raptor Boost: ground (52/100) -> (45/100), aerial (80/60) -> (50/75)
-Aerial Raptor Boost no longer puts Captain Falcon in a helpless falling state on hit (still does on miss)
-More damage on Falcon Dive explosion (5%) -> (10%)
-Slightly more damage on Falcon Kick (+1% to all hitboxes)
-Vastly improved Falcon Kick knockback angles (45) -> (65), (85) -> (80), (50) -> (95), aerial (set to 80)

These changes add up to make Captain Falcon's overall game a bit more rewarding. The pummel change supplements his solid grab game, and the Falcon Dive buff makes Falcon Dive out of shield more rewarding, although it's still just as risky. Knee is a bit better, but the buff to aerial Raptor Boost and grounded Falcon Kick are so good they should almost count as "Game Changers"! Falcon can recover more safely with aerial Raptor Boost and can even approach some characters with it now... And Falcon Kick is a fantastic approach move now that it sets opponents up for aerial followup instead of being "unsafe on HIT"... Captain Douglas J. Falcon is suddenly looking a lot better.

:falcon: *CAPTAIN FALCON*

-3% on knee
...so that's +3% total. Still deadly.

+1% to second hit of nair
...so that's +2% total. Not a big change, but more Falcon matchup data is needed.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
It was a small typo. It should really say -2%. It used to be 24% and kill at like 53% from the middle of FD. Now it does 22% and kills at 60 something.

AsuraPhoenix

Smash Rookie
in any case not anyone can do it effectively, but captain falcon is awesome on brawl+ and brawl+ is INSANELY balanced. My friends who i couldn't destroy how i want in regular brawl doesn't stand a HELL of a chance, because he cant depend on his peoples leeway anymore. no matter what the match up everyone stands a decent chance towards each other. they just about gimped MK, but i'm still good with him xD.

legion598

Smash Ace
falcon is virtually the same as he was in melee except for some hit box changes (specifically Dair and knee). The main reason falcon is so much worse is because of brawls physiques not allowing him to combo and tech chase

Player-3

Smash Hero
falcon punch was horrible in melee it actually got improved in brawl imo

rofl

except for the momentum stuff, that was awesome

also **** you legion you combo breaker

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Sup dudes. Taking a break from work and thought I'd swing by.

For those who don't know, me and Ampharos are the guys behind this thing. Random facts about my Falcon credentials:

-Last fall, I played ~15 Falcon dittos with my roommate every night.
-At tourneys I will Falcon Ditto money-match anyone, anytime, anywhere. I have not lost to anyone yet, though I have a dead even record with Vash.
-No, I have not ditto'd Ally. I'd be glad to MM him though!
-I once went Falcon in grand finals at a area tourney of about 40 people. I won.
-The first time I played Ampharos's main (G&W) in Balanced Brawl, first stock I zero-to-death'd him with Falcon.

I think you guys will have fun playing around with the final version of Falcon soon. D-tilt has been made into a better version of the original, rather than the tripping effect. Falcon benefited more from throw changes than anyone else, due to how often he gets grabs and how beneficial their setups can be now. The only matchup I have any real trouble with in BBrawl is Olimar, and it is more of a problem with my personal grab-happy Falcon.

Later.

Top Bottom