• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BADAZZ is way too small a word

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Also, you could say Romantic as in the Romans...as in empires and killing everything and enslaving everything. :) That's definitely up Ganon's aisle.

Dread Lance or Nightmare Ballista for me.

Dark Lord Ganon
:034:

WolfReflection

Smash Cadet
I don't like the names of his B-up move. Here are just a few ideas, feel free to brainstorm with me...

Shadow Talons
Gerudo Cannon
Flying Torpedo

Ehh, those were a few things I thought of. Anyone else?

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I was thinking in school today...

Isn't Ballista just enough?
Ganon himself is as much powerful and catastrophically destructive as the polearm of a Ballista. DownB would be the mere act of "launching" himself, thus activating the Ballista and bringing carnage to the battlefield.

Ballista or Nightmare Ballista for my final opinion.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
How 'bout commin' up with sumthin' that's the opposite of Zelda's LIGHT ARROW?
- I'm thinking... DARK ARROW; or DARK BALLISTA.

You just got Ballista Spiked, Punk ~

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace

We have good names now, it seems...

Dark Ballista seems to be suitable.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
yeah, i agree with Zigma and Force, it seems to be the most suitable, and also it goes along with spike, "Ballista Spike" like wizkick spike etc.

im all for Dark Ballista :)

Raikou_Cypher

Smash Cadet
Also, you could say Romantic as in the Romans...as in empires and killing everything and enslaving everything. :) That's definitely up Ganon's aisle.

Dread Lance or Nightmare Ballista for me.

Dark Lord Ganon
Speaking of the Romans...

Stygian Ballista

...Or Stygian **insert relevant badass word here**

Latin "Stygius" -> "Stygian" which has to do with anything dark or forbidding, i.e. the River Styx (the word "styx" comes from the greek meaning "hate," by the way)

Anything that has to do with plunging your foe into the depths of the River Styx is badass, and totally fits the 'Dorf. But then "Ballista" wouldn't make as much sense, so a more appropriate word would do "Stygian" good. *looks at pk-ow!* (Now go into your corner and think up something brilliant.)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord

Again, remember, remember, Ganon wielded the powers of Shadow in TP, which had the property that if he combined it with Light, he could create Darkness.

The opposite of Light is apparently Shadow.

. . .

Umbrallista? o_0

• Shadow Spear, .... Shadow Spike... Shadow Lance
  • Something with the word 'bore'...
  • Death Stroke... and I seem to recall the word 'night' being able to be used as a verb for 'to knock out'.

.... OOOOOooooooooOOOHHHhhh...

Thesaurus.reference.com tells me the word arrow is like the word 'cursor' for "pointed weapon or symbol."
That reminds me of the word courser, which is something that follows or hunts.

There's also this list of words for armaments:

ammunition, anlace, arbalest, archery, arrow, assegai, atlatl, ax, axe, backsword, ballista, banderilla, barong, bat, baton, battle-ax, bayonet, bazooka, billy club, blackjack, blade, blowgun, bludgeon, bomb, boomerang, bow and arrow, bowie knife, brass knuckles, cannon, catapult, cleaver, club, crossbow, cudgel, cutlass, dagger, dart, dirk, firearm, flamethrower, gun, harpoon, hatchet, howitzer, hunting knife, knife, lance, machete, machine gun, missile, musket, nerve gas, nuclear bomb, nunchaku, pistol, revolver, rifle, saber, scythe, shotgun, slingshot, spear, spike, stiletto, switchblade, sword, tear gas

And with Up-B: what, does no one love my Resurgent Wraith anymore? :crying:

bookman

Smash Rookie
oohhh going along with this shadow idea, what about ecliptic spear? Also @ PK-ow! i love the idea of a battle-ax somewhere in Ganon's moveset, sounds pretty awesome.

Raikou_Cypher

Smash Cadet
battle-axes are fine and good, but I don't think any of Ganny's moves are anything like a battle-axe.

I was throwing around the idea of using "Shadow" in the name of a new suggestion, but never really got around to thinking of anything. Thought your post, being epic, makes it easier to select something. That is, if we go with the whole "weapon" thing. There is a problem, though, with weapons. The Dark Lord has no weapons. He pummels people into the ground with his manly gauntlets. Names should liken his attacks to badass things like weapons. It seems hard to find a good balance, though. But I can't make a post without suggesting at least a few names.

-Shadow Gore (verb form of "gore" of course, but I don't like the way this name sounds at all)
-Shadow Bore (it doesn't get simpler than this. When I was typing this post my instinct was to go with "bore," but I typed both because "gore" is obscure :x)
-Stygian Lance ("Shadow Lance" -> "Stygian Lance" Stygian sounds awesome, but you can check my 2nd post on page 30 for more information)
-Spectral Ballista ("Umbrallista" = "Ghost Ballista" , "Ghost" = "Spectre" , "Spectre" -> "Spectral" . I realize that "Spectre" is the British spelling, but honestly it looks better than "Specter")

@ pk-ow! - While I remember having a couple small gripes about "Resurgent Wraith," (if you recall XD) I think it's better than all the names in the OP, so yes, I still like it :D

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I'm sticking with Ballista 'till the end! It is very badass as it is! xDD

BTW... UpB names... have finished their discussion? <=/

Raikou_Cypher

Smash Cadet
I think we we postponed the upB discussion and decided to continue later, if I remember correctly.

As for ballista, I don't think that it fits the move very well, since Ganon doesn't actually "pierce" anyone. He just sends them flying vertically (<- lol), but it's more like a bludgeon.

bookman

Smash Rookie
I got it! ecliptic ballistic it rhymes, has to do with ballistas and shadows. A ballistic is basically anything that is thrown, and Ganon just throws himself at his enemies. Also it's kinda fun to say.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
so something along the lines of a Catapult maybe? since that's a bludgeoning siege weapon, along with battering ram and a Trebuchet i think it is
The concept is okay, but the sounding is horrible!
Catapult... IMO it sounds like something big, slow and useless with a good range, even if it images the move (except for useless). In fact I'm saying it 'coz I hate catapults... D:

I was thinking about Trident as well as Polearm, Arbalest, Halberd and Harpoon.

And... do you think Terror would be too much fpor DownB, like Terror Halberd?

BTW, loved the Styx concept! =DD

Raikou_Cypher

Smash Cadet
so something along the lines of a Catapult maybe? since that's a bludgeoning siege weapon, along with battering ram and a Trebuchet i think it is
Yes. But like bahamut said, it's kind of hard to find a name that implements the concept and sounds good doing it. Trebuchet and Arbalest are a couple of ok words, better than something like "catapult." I think the battering ram concept is more fitting, and there are more options for a name. Here are a few words that could apply to a ram that I liked the sound of:

- break
- lambaste / baste
- maul
- ruin
- shatter
- wreck

Raikou_Cypher

Smash Cadet
Since we're at the lines of polearms, tridents, harpoons and stuff...

The Ship wrecker
"Wreck" was also my favorite word. I also like "ruin" and "break" though. So I'll just tack "Stygian" onto the front of each:

- Stygian Wrecker
- Stygian Ruin
- Stygian Break(er)

"Ruin" may not sound quite right, but you can justify it by thinking that the "ruin" part is what you get after getting hit by this attack. Alternatively, when I think of ruins and wizkicking, I think of some sort of unexplainable connection. It's like one of those I'll-say-a-word-and-you-say-the-first-thing-that-comes-to-mind sort of thing.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
The ship wrecker has that first impression that most of the other names just don't have. I like it. Although, it doesn't really have anything to do with evil or darkness, etc. And the move itself doesn't look like something that would wreck ships. But still, the name is cool.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'd pick Spear over Ballista, even though a Ballista is heavier.

Spear Kick.
Or: Spear Kick Spike (when spiking).

Also... "Wizkick" is still a good name, imo.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I think we are overusing the "Kick" word. :O

I do think Wizkick is good as a referee to the move, but not as it's name.

LordofDarkness

Smash Cadet
What is Ganondorf actually doing when you press down+b?
In my eyes, he swarms himself with dark energy and, unlike a mortal who would just be engulfed in flames of the abyss, he tames the very element of darkness to do his bidding. So, since he's literally riding an untamable force of the universe, the first thing that comes to mind is surfing. From this connection, we can pull a lot of cool words into the mix:

Tide, Swell, Wave, and my favorite "Surge"

The definition of surge I'll be using is:
4. A sudden onrush

And to spice it up with a bit of darkness...

Nightmare Surge
Dark Surge
Ecliptic Surge
Stygian Surge (Close second, I like the consonance)
and finally, the name I'm pulling for... "Abyssal Surge" for his grounded and "Abyssal Comet" for his aerial version. (The aerial version does really look like a comet, doesn't it?)
Ideas for a nickname for the spike are: Surge Spike (my favorite), Abysspike, Comet Spike.

Since this attack produces the most purple awesomeness of all his attacks, surge's alternate definition of "overloading" fits snugly. Whether he's making a headlong charge towards his opponent, chasing a hapless victim with a well spaced WKC, or crushing a pursuer in air, Ganon's sudden onrush of abyssal hellfire is a force to be reckoned with. And Abyssal is just too badass of a word to not be in Ganon's dictionary.

Please let me know what you think. I'm open to criticism, suggestions, and compliments(especially compliments :p). In the creative process, an open mind is essential.

P.S. Now's my chance to be offtopic! (I try my hardest not to troll, but it's so easy to fall into for me) Sorry I missed the discussion on Up+B. I <3 this thread, I <3 this forum, and I <3 the King of Evil.
<Block of text crits this thread for 1337! This thread dies.>

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
This is horribly, stupidly, simple, but Ganon's down-b just makes me think of a great big... lunky... CANNONBALL.

Edit (after reading some of the posts):
Hmm...
"Shadow Cannonball"?
"Wrecking Ball"?

And sporadically, "Drop of Doom" for the aerial one?

Raikou_Cypher

Smash Cadet
What is Ganondorf actually doing when you press down+b?
In my eyes, he swarms himself with dark energy and, unlike a mortal who would just be engulfed in flames of the abyss, he tames the very element of darkness to do his bidding. So, since he's literally riding an untamable force of the universe, the first thing that comes to mind is surfing. From this connection, we can pull a lot of cool words into the mix:

Tide, Swell, Wave, and my favorite "Surge"

The definition of surge I'll be using is:
4. A sudden onrush

And to spice it up with a bit of darkness...

Nightmare Surge
Dark Surge
Ecliptic Surge
Stygian Surge (Close second, I like the consonance)
and finally, the name I'm pulling for... "Abyssal Surge" for his grounded and "Abyssal Comet" for his aerial version. (The aerial version does really look like a comet, doesn't it?)
Ideas for a nickname for the spike are: Surge Spike (my favorite), Abysspike, Comet Spike.

Since this attack produces the most purple awesomeness of all his attacks, surge's alternate definition of "overloading" fits snugly. Whether he's making a headlong charge towards his opponent, chasing a hapless victim with a well spaced WKC, or crushing a pursuer in air, Ganon's sudden onrush of abyssal hellfire is a force to be reckoned with. And Abyssal is just too badass of a word to not be in Ganon's dictionary.

Please let me know what you think. I'm open to criticism, suggestions, and compliments(especially compliments :p). In the creative process, an open mind is essential.

P.S. Now's my chance to be offtopic! (I try my hardest not to troll, but it's so easy to fall into for me) Sorry I missed the discussion on Up+B. I <3 this thread, I <3 this forum, and I <3 the King of Evil.
<Block of text crits this thread for 1337! This thread dies.>
Stygian Comet for the aerial version, hands down.
"Abyssal" sounds really good :D Tide/swell/wave are all associated with the ocean, usually, so I wouldn't think to use them for a name. But as for the best part of your post...

"Comet" is the most amazing name for the aerial version.

"Stygian Comet" is made of win

10wins

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I just don't feel anything when someone says Stygian, or something with too many syllables like Ballista.

Cannon is the most badass thing I've seen. The best thing about it is that 'cannon' is also a word that can describe the substance also known as "shot". You fire "shot"; "shot" is something you lob at someone with a gun, you cover someone with shot.

Ganon Cannon is a playful name I thought could go with uptilt, but scrap that.

Cannon Cloud

Shadow Cannon

Coursing Inferno :psycho:

Tyrant Heel

• Coma Spell
  • Murder Kick
  • Murder Wave
  • Torpor Cannon
  • Strangle Shot
Shadow Fugue

Quietus Comet
  • Murder Tide
  • Endurance Break
  • Bravura Halt
  • Havoc Tide
  • Death Stroke

Somber Sound

Extinguishing Edict

gaah, I keep coming back to something starting with 'S'.... but I can't think of what the rest of the word is at all.

... I get the impression it is an adjective formed by the composition of a noun with an appropriate N -> Adj suffix. The noun itself names a quality or a state, though. :dizzy:

Murder

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
I just don't feel anything when someone says Stygian, or something with too many syllables like Ballista.

Cannon is the most badass thing I've seen. The best thing about it is that 'cannon' is also a word that can describe the substance also known as "shot". You fire "shot"; "shot" is something you lob at someone with a gun, you cover someone with shot.
Agreed.

Shadow Cannon is Awesome !

We are in the right way now ! ;)

bookman

Smash Rookie
ppssshh i think anything with the name Stygian in it is amazing because i still love saying Stygian Spiked. I'm all for Stygian Comet personally. Also i think there's a lot to say about spear kick spiking someone. sounds so cool.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Grounded down B - Murder Cruise.

Aerial down B - Dark Impact.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Woah! I REALLY like Dark Impact and Nightmare Plunge.

I think we've had a bunch of good suggestions in the last page. Maybe we should wrap up dB?

Top Bottom