• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aurora, Colorado: 12 Dead in Shooting Rampage at Midnight Showing of The Dark Knight

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I know I'm late into this discussion, but based on what I've read, the shooter (Holmes) must seriously be a very disturbed individual. I mean, I could be wrong, and he could play the "insane" act to get a lighter sentence, but as it looks, I'd say he has more than just a few screws loose. It wouldn't surprise me if the victims' families decide to seek the death penalty, all things considered.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
There's really no bright side to this, but a report I read yesterday was that the guy's Semi-Auto Rifle jammed. Had it not, I can't imagine how many more people would have gotten hurt.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/us/colorado-shooting-investigation/index.html

It's so crazy to think "what would I do" if I was in that situation. You really had no place to hide due to the tear gas. The moment you show your face, you have to run the risk of avoiding bullets being sprayed everywhere.

However I do commend the people who stayed with the injured. We can all say "Yeah, I'd do that too", but you never know until you're put into that situation.

I also shake my head at those parents who took babies and really young kids to this showing. I might give a bit of leeway to a 4 year old showing up (though I'd never bring him or her), but what the heck were babies doing at that premiere?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
@Sol:

1) The insanity plea is incredibly incredibly hard to get on. The sheer amount of planning that Holmes put into this massacre is going to make it quite difficult to convince the jury that he was out of touch with reality when he entered the theater.

If Richard Chase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Chase) couldn't get the insanity plea, I really doubt Holmes will be successful.

2.) Getting off on insanity is not "a lighter sentence" by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, if there is anything that is more terrifying and inhumane to me than the US Prison System, it's the US Mental Health System. He is never going to be let out into public regardless of the outcome of the trial, period.

3.) My opinion on the video of Holmes in the courtroom is that he probably hasn't slept since Friday, is probably dosed up to the eyeballs on anti-psychotics, and is probably just starting to come to terms with what his life is going to entail. It's possible he was mugging and playing up what he thinks a crazy person would look like but I really think he's just on a bunch of Seroquel and trying not to fall asleep in those videos.

also here's an interview with a survivor who got shot with all three of the weapons that details the whole event quite well

http://www2.alice1059.com/listen/slacker-and-steve-interview-pierce-ofarrill-723

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
There's really no bright side to this, but a report I read yesterday was that the guy's Semi-Auto Rifle jammed. Had it not, I can't imagine how many more people would have gotten hurt.

It's so crazy to think "what would I do" if I was in that situation. You really had no place to hide due to the tear gas. The moment you show your face, you have to run the risk of avoiding bullets being sprayed everywhere.

However I do commend the people who stayed with the injured. We can all say "Yeah, I'd do that too", but you never know until you're put into that situation.

I also shake my head at those parents who took babies and really young kids to this showing. I might give a bit of leeway to a 4 year old showing up (though I'd never bring him or her), but what the heck were babies doing at that premiere?
Are you trying to say that its the parents fault for not having psychic powers that would allow them to know there would be a shooting ahead of time? Sure its not a great idea to take a baby to a premiere of a pg-13 movie, but a baby probably wouldn't remember anything about it anyway. And no one could have known there would have been a shooting at that specific premiere.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Are you trying to say that its the parents fault for not having psychic powers that would allow them to know there would be a shooting ahead of time? Sure its not a great idea to take a baby to a premiere of a pg-13 movie, but a baby probably wouldn't remember anything about it anyway. And no one could have known there would have been a shooting at that specific premiere.
I think he's saying that, irrespective of this shooting, that parents who bring their 3 month old babies to a loud movie theater with many other people are being pretty bad parents.

I'm not speaking for boredone, but it is in no shape or form the parent's fault that the baby almost got shot by a maniac regardless of how stupid and rude it is to bring a baby to a movie in the first place. I think it's a dumb and insensitive thing to bring up in the context of a massacre, but it is a valid point i suppose.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I think he's saying that, irrespective of this shooting, that parents who bring their 3 month old babies to a loud movie theater with many other people are being pretty bad parents.

I'm not speaking for boredone, but it is in no shape or form the parent's fault that the baby almost got shot by a maniac regardless of how stupid and rude it is to bring a baby to a movie in the first place. I think it's a dumb and insensitive thing to bring up in the context of a massacre, but it is a valid point i suppose.
I won't deny that bringing a baby to loud movie theater is rude and a bad decision (especially since the movie is pg-13 I think). But it sounds like boredone is also partially blaming the parents for one of the babies being shot, which sounds downright ridiculous.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
@Sol:

1) The insanity plea is incredibly incredibly hard to get on. The sheer amount of planning that Holmes put into this massacre is going to make it quite difficult to convince the jury that he was out of touch with reality when he entered the theater.

If Richard Chase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Chase) couldn't get the insanity plea, I really doubt Holmes will be successful.

2.) Getting off on insanity is not "a lighter sentence" by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, if there is anything that is more terrifying and inhumane to me than the US Prison System, it's the US Mental Health System. He is never going to be let out into public regardless of the outcome of the trial, period.

3.) My opinion on the video of Holmes in the courtroom is that he probably hasn't slept since Friday, is probably dosed up to the eyeballs on anti-psychotics, and is probably just starting to come to terms with what his life is going to entail. It's possible he was mugging and playing up what he thinks a crazy person would look like but I really think he's just on a bunch of Seroquel and trying not to fall asleep in those videos.

also here's an interview with a survivor who got shot with all three of the weapons that details the whole event quite well

http://www2.alice1059.com/listen/slacker-and-steve-interview-pierce-ofarrill-723
You do have a very good point. Could it be possible that even the insane can show premeditation and planning? I wouldn't know, seeing as I've been out of touch with the news for quite a few years since before about a year or two ago. As for the lighter sentence thing, I was thinking along the lines of dodging the death penalty, although, if I have to think about it now, I'd say being in a mental asylum would be a worse fate than even death.

Honestly, it's impossible to put ourselves in that situation in our minds and think "this is how I'd do things", so with that, I agree with you.
I hope you're not blaming the parents for the fact that they put their babies in harm's way, because that would be completely out of their control. I do agree that they shouldn't bring their babies to a movie theater for the sake of courtesy to other movie-goers, but a shooting rampage would be the last reason that comes to my head as to why a parent should hire a sitter.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I won't deny that bringing a baby to loud movie theater is rude and a bad decision (especially since the movie is pg-13 I think). But it sounds like boredone is also partially blaming the parents for one of the babies being shot, which sounds downright ridiculous.
I'll take blame for not being 100% clear, however...

You're reading too much into it. At no point did I criticize the parents for not having psychic powers or whatever. I did not criticize them being responsible for some other person's actions. If anything, were this topic NOT about the shooting, you'd probably read it as me complaining about parents bringing children to a midnight showing, which is after all what I was getting at.

"I might give a bit of leeway to a 4 year old showing up, but what the heck were babies doing at that premiere?"

So where am I explicitly stating that parents needed to know that there was a shooting about to happen?

And you know what? We can't see the future into anything on if anything like this will happen, but you'd be kidding me for all those young kids who have been injured or traumatized, could have been prevented if parents were being responsible. Little children had no business being there, shooting or not. A lot of people are going to need counseling or therapy, but I find it terrible to think children will have to go through this as well.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
He must've been mad that all the tickets were sold out.
I think what's most ridiculous about this post is the fact that I still cant call you terrible names over it. Seriously? That's the best you could do while trying to joke about a tragedy like this? I hope you realize you deserve every ****ing terrible thing that ever happens to you just because you're the kind of person who would post this kind of ****.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Let's try not to let this devolve into personal attacks.

Also that goes both ways, try not to make insensitive jokes because they will not elicit anything but bad reactions. There are places for things like that on the internet, they are known as anonymous imageboards.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Well it seems Christian Bale visited the victims of the shooting which is a nice gesture looking at things. I don't know how well it was received but still.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Almost cried at work yesterday
Not because of the senselessness of all of this (oh am I angry and saddened by this!)
But, the fact that there were people who would so easily give up their lives for other people in all of this.
Those brave people....I was just so impressed and saddened. Confusing emotions.

Those people are true heroes.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hm, you know, one thing I did not see coming was the trauma and emotional investment the Cops, Doctors, and Firemen had. I remember watching the speech from the Chief of Police, and the dude was tearing up at times. I think it was mainly for his own men, but he did mention how it was hard on them too.

So yeah, it definitely hit a lot of people hard...

theeboredone

Smash Legend

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Torrence Brown Jr. should be ****ing ashamed.

Not even one of the physically hurt during the event in any way, and still going the legal route. Appalling.

"Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today," Karpel told TMZ.

I HAVE A FEELING THAT WE MAY KNOW WHO

Photo courtesy of why FB is bad.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's the whole "emotional damage" route he is going with. With that being said, if he is going to sue WB, he might as well sue the WWE for inducing violence in some kids.

It's more shooter than movie obviously, and I think he fails to see that. Otherwise, the movie's influence would breed several more shooters. Hell, the shooting started 20 minutes into the movie, and he cites the DKR as the shooter's primary influence (according to this article). Hard to link that together if you ask me.

I'm not gonna blame him for that, cause given the fact he just went through a rather troubling event, with his friend dying...he's not in the right place of mind to think things through. At the same time, given how many stupid lawsuits people win (People suing cause McDonalds made them fat?!), I would expect this to reach a settlement.

Jasou

Smash Ace
Almost cried at work yesterday
Not because of the senselessness of all of this (oh am I angry and saddened by this!)
But, the fact that there were people who would so easily give up their lives for other people in all of this.
Those brave people....I was just so impressed and saddened. Confusing emotions.

Those people are true heroes.
I definitely agree there. It's so amazing that one could do that for another. I heard some stories about it too in this incident and it really was touching. It gives me hope for people these days.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
When something manages to cut through the layers of people's bull**** (like a shooting), you'll find that most are inherently quite brave and decent.

Shame it takes the worst to bring out the best.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Hope all guns ever are banned so people just start chucking bombs out of a bag or some ****. Then we'll ban everything.

Also, I like how his argument is that if your kids died, then you'd be more buttmad and make different laws, laws fueled by emotion rather than logic and rational thought. Then he brings up health care in Canada.

Yeah no **** Michael Moore and anyone else already making this a goddamn political thing. **** no. I don't have a problem for a desire for a more universal way of managing guns but really? Michael Moore? No one else could have been picked who wouldn't say **** like "when one person suffers, everyone suffers" which is in fact, not how humans really operate or will ever operate. He's clearly appealing to emotion over logic which is kinda the worst ****ing thing you can do for policy.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Regular citizens don't need machine guns though.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I think what's most ridiculous about this post is the fact that I still cant call you terrible names over it. Seriously? That's the best you could do while trying to joke about a tragedy like this? I hope you realize you deserve every ****ing terrible thing that ever happens to you just because you're the kind of person who would post this kind of ****.
Glad I didn't use my killstreak joke.

Slim_X

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4425-1928-1952
It was only one shooter, californian, 15 dead, 50 injured. Very tragic.... My hearts and prayers go out to all affected...

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I wonder if Micheal Moore is familiar with the Second Amendment. Banning guns won't do anything to change gun violence anyway.
If we're just going off that clip I posted, then we can't assume Moore wants to ban guns altogether. Gun Control does not mean no guns allowed. Personally, I just question how one man can get an Assault Rifle along with over 6000 rounds of ammo. That's just freaking ridiculous and pathetic.

I think Moore made an interesting point. Would it hinder a politician's rational if their own child was involved in something like this? Of course. However, if there has ever been a criticism towards a lot of issues in life, it's that politicians talk more and do less.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Regular citizens don't need machine guns though.
How many regular citizens OWN a machine gun?

Automatic weapons require high standards to get through, and even after that are VERY expensive.

Not to mention they are outright banned in some states more or less

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
How many regular citizens OWN a machine gun?

Automatic weapons require high standards to get through, and even after that are VERY expensive.

Not to mention they are outright banned in some states more or less
Holmes didn't have an automatic weapon though.

I realize that might be nitpicking but I think it's kinda relevant.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Holmes didn't have an automatic weapon though.

I realize that might be nitpicking but I think it's kinda relevant.
They were brought up, I just assumed that was the case.

The person I quoted said "Machine gun"

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, the best he had was a Semi-Auto, but it's also important to note that the guy somehow also obtained body armor, a gas mask, tear gas, and well...he was pretty much decked out and ready for war or something.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I dont know much about guns or the laws following them, but I think it would
just be the same situation as with banned drugs. Still easy to get and criminal organizations formed around the market for the want/need for the unnecessarily illegal material. To make things worse, guns become unregistered.

Currently they are decently difficult to get for people that don't meet the proper qualifications to own a gun, but it would become much easier if guns were made illegal.

I can see the banning of guns policy working in a country more or less already devoid of guns or just less ridiculous than America.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah, the best he had was a Semi-Auto, but it's also important to note that the guy somehow also obtained body armor, a gas mask, tear gas, and well...he was pretty much decked out and ready for war or something.
Kevlar and gas masks are available at any army surplus, **** even here where guns are illegal for civilians and only a few police get to carry guns, we can obtain body armour and gas masks.

Tear gas isn't so hard to find on the black market. Tbh it's America, nothing is hard to find, you just have to know where to look.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Allowing guns is incredibly stupid, though making it illegal, the way things are now, would also be stupid. You've managed to get yourself into an unsolvable situation really.

Tighter guns control might help a bit maybe? But then again the US is renowned for being catastrophically paranoid so that'll never happen.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
It bothers me that a bunch of people can die anyday simply because one mentally unfit person has a gun. I agree we need stronger gun laws. In fact, I'd love if it there was like a long waiting period(a year maybe) for which you would have to go through before you're licensed to carry a civilian firearm.

Top Bottom