• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aurora, Colorado: 12 Dead in Shooting Rampage at Midnight Showing of The Dark Knight

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
It bothers me that a bunch of people can die anyday simply because one mentally unfit person has a gun. I agree we need stronger gun laws. In fact, I'd love if it there was like a long waiting period(a year maybe) for which you would have to go through before you're licensed to carry a civilian firearm.
I don't see how waiting a year to get your gun license is going to prevent a shooting. If people want to commit a crime with a gun, they'll probably get it faster illegally. The only thing an idea like that would punish would be the people that just want a gun so they can defend themselves.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I don't see how waiting a year to get your gun license is going to prevent a shooting. If people want to commit a crime with a gun, they'll probably get it faster illegally. The only thing an idea like that would punish would be the people that just want a gun so they can defend themselves.
In most of these mass shooting cases, they are able to trackback where the killer purchased their guns legally. I think you overestimate how many people to know where to find guns. I'd bet most psychologically deranged people do not.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
In most of these mass shooting cases, they are able to trackback where the killer purchased their guns legally. I think you overestimate how many people to know where to find guns. I'd bet most psychologically deranged people do not.
The guy in this situation had apparently planned through this;
Lots of guns, buckets of ammunition in a booby-trapped apartment, etc. I doubt he acquired a lot of that legally. Especially the explosives and tripwires in his apartment.

He may be insane, but it seemed like he knew what he was doing anyway. Just giving people another reason to be paranoid in public.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The guy in this situation had apparently planned through this;
Lots of guns, buckets of ammunition in a booby-trapped apartment, etc. I doubt he acquired a lot of that legally. Especially the explosives and tripwires in his apartment.

He may be insane, but it seemed like he knew what he was doing anyway. Just giving people another reason to be paranoid in public.
He bought everything legally. This was a big talking point when this first happened. It's why people are talking so much about gun legislation.

I believe the explosives were mixes of otherwise mundane and legal chemicals made to be explosive.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So, due to the recent events of this shooting and the one at the Sikh Temple, we had a Police Officer that runs the Homeland Security aspect of our city stop by our Mosque prior to the nightly prayers (which I'm about to go too.) Basically, he went over things about what we should do if heaven forbid, an event like that were to happen at the Mosque or anywhere else for that matter. Thought I'd share what he said if heaven forbid, you guys were in this situation.

In order of priority...

1. Evacuate the room/building. Usually done if you know for sure you can get away from the shooter or if he has his attention somewhere else.

2. Hide. If the shooter is in the same room as you, all you can really do is try to conceal yourself.

3. Don't be a sitting duck. You're better off trying to neutralize him by either throwing things at him or trying to take him down. You will get shot at if you just stand there or turn your back to him. If you make an effort to stop him, you can save another life.

Some other things he mentioned.

A. Once outside, do not "point" with your finger at the Cops or anywhere else. In a tense situation, a cop might see a "point" and register instantly as a gun. Keep your fingers wide open.

B. Do not talk to the Officers unless it is to tell them information on the shooter. The paramedics will take care of the injured. An officer's job is to take down the suspect, so that he does not hurt anyone else.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
He bought everything legally. This was a big talking point when this first happened. It's why people are talking so much about gun legislation.

I believe the explosives were mixes of otherwise mundane and legal chemicals made to be explosive.
Oh. Well, I stand corrected.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
WTF do people not know the difference between muslims and Sikhs for?

Not saying Muslims would be any better/ worse. Just that this guys vendetta was against the wrong people

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's why Americans get hated/joked on for being so uneducated. Really though, it's just the fundamentalists and bigots that see "brown" people in the same light. See a brown man with a turban, and they instantly think Muslim Terrorist.

Honestly, when are people gonna get the idea that if, hypothetically speaking, a Muslim were to commit a terrorist act, he wouldn't walk around with a turban, beard, and cultural clothing screaming various Arabic words? Talk about taking a stereotype way too seriously.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Not saying Muslims would be any better/ worse. Just that this guys vendetta was against the wrong people
actually, by saying "he attacked the wrong people" you very much are implying this. I'm sure that's not your intent, but you should be careful with your wording. Especially when it hasn't even been confirmed that this attack was specifically meant to target Muslims, and beyond that if it was politically charged at all (beyond the typical 14 words neonazi crap of course). I'm pretty sure the guy didn't give two ****s what religion those people followed. He's a neo-nazi, they are brown people practicing their brown people religion. Do you honestly think if he realized as he was entering the church that it wasn't Muslim that he would just go "oh **** this isn't right" and turn around?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Actually, I thought psycho was saying something along the lines of "He aimed his misguided hatred at the wrong group because he didn't know the difference". *shrug*

:phone:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Actually, I thought psycho was saying something along the lines of "He aimed his misguided hatred at the wrong group because he didn't know the difference". *shrug*

Yes. That alone implies that the "right group" to antagonize would be Islamic people at a mosque.

anyways, no use in going on about it, I know what he meant I just thought the wording was a little reckless

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Or that "the group he WANTED to attack" would be them.

But yeah, no big deal.

Top Bottom