• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So I figured this is the best place to ask. What's the best Doom game to jump into the series for someone who doesn't play shooters?
I haven't played a shooter since Goldeneye. Yes, the N64 one.

Been getting interested in the idea of the Slayer in Smash and I'd like to get more familiar with the series.
Well, actually I just heard At Doom's Gate and it sounded like some grade A Power Rangers **** and now I kinda want him in for the music alone.
any game would due, though i recommend the first game if you really want to start from the beginning.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Hot damn, 90 pages. Quite the long-lived thread indeed.

What are our Doom Eternal plans? I can't play it due to having mountains of Uni work to grind through, but I'm planning to preorder it anyways.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So I figured this is the best place to ask. What's the best Doom game to jump into the series for someone who doesn't play shooters?
I haven't played a shooter since Goldeneye. Yes, the N64 one.

Been getting interested in the idea of the Slayer in Smash and I'd like to get more familiar with the series.
Well, actually I just heard At Doom's Gate and it sounded like some grade A Power Rangers **** and now I kinda want him in for the music alone.
I'd say either Doom 1 or the 2016 game. Either game works as a starting point - the 2016 game has some references to past games, but story-wise (for what little story there is), it's stand-alone, and it's incredibly satisfying to play.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Hot damn, 90 pages. Quite the long-lived thread indeed.

What are our Doom Eternal plans? I can't play it due to having mountains of Uni work to grind through, but I'm planning to preorder it anyways.
I put in for a vacation day like two months ago so I can play Doom and Animal Crossing all weekend. I am READY.

chemo

Smash Apprentice

Hah, what do ya know.
Another interesting bit of trivia; this game (and by extension, DOOM 2016 previously from what I've read) is being released completely uncensored in Japan (albeit with the highest rating), which seems to be quite the rarity considering other similarly violent games need to be censored even with said highest rating (REmake 2), or can't get a release at all (MK11).

Last edited:

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
The first game is a good place to start: Piece of gaming history, aged well, still fun, short and fast etc.
On PC, due to source ports, you have either options to make it more faithfull (To the point GOG or Steam may have DOS versions that even kept the red crosses on medikits, sshhhhhhh don't tell anyone) or options to alter the game and costumize it in a lot of ways, along with mods, wads and a never ending supply of content and support from a fanbase that kept a series alive, thanks to dedicated fans and id for releasing the source codes of some of their games.
In fact, from what i heard, the source code being open source may be why the new console ports are the way they are, because of a GPL related law with consoles.
So, of course the console ports can't compete with experiences on PC but as long as they update them to make them better, it's not that bad.

I'm glad that the Icon of Sin returned and was turned into a literal giant.
That's one of the things that should happen in a modern Doom game and something that not even mods could pull off unless some GZDoom update allows it.
If the IOS were to be in Smash, he could be like how he is in Eternal where tries to smash the stage with his fists but still able to spit out spawn cubes from his forehead.
In Doom 2 RPG, the hole in his head looked more "natural" and less like a literal wound.
He also seems to have some armor that suggests a different phase.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Imma leave this here:

Another interesting bit of trivia; this game (and by extension, DOOM 2016 previously from what I've read) is being released completely uncensored in Japan (albeit with the highest rating), which seems to be quite the rarity considering other similarly violent games need to be censored even with said highest rating (REmake 2), or can't get a release at all (MK11).
Even if nothing comes of Doom getting in Smash this time, this is a really helpful point for us.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Looks like it's been a while since I posted my moveset for the Doom Slayer, but after some pondering and some tweaks, I think I got a better one than I did before.

Unique Mechanic: Glory Kills:
As the Doom Slayer damages his enemy, a Slayer's Mark will start forming over the opponent's model. When the Slayer's Mark completely encompasses the opponent, they will be prone to a Glory Kill, a brutal attack that instantly KOs the opponent with a red-colored KO explosion. However, this requires a lot of dedication, as the Doom Slayer must deal 100% damage to a single opponent to complete the Slayer's Mark, and even then it's for a mere eight-second period for the Glory Kill. After the period ends, the Slayer must deal another 100% damage before they are prone. But besides that, Glory Killing can provide more than just a free kill. It can boost his Specials, and heal for .5x of all excess damage above 100%. Each Glory Kill is unique to each character and causes a unique "Glory Zoom", which turns the screen red on black on the final hit of the Glory Kill.

Jab: The Doom Slayer will do two hook punches before bashing them over the head with the flashlight from Doom 3. In dark rooms, you can even see a little light emanating from it. For his rapid jab, the Doom Slayer will lunge the chainsaw forwards, hacking them up.

F-tilt: The Doom Slayer will fire his pistol in front of himself. This is a very disjointed hurtbox, much like Bullets Arts, but is much less spammable.

U-tilt: The Doom Slayer swipes his chainsaw over himself. This has some good range but doesn't really have that much kill power, as the chainsaw is meant to be a sustained-damage weapon.

D-tilt: Same as F-tilt, but crouching.

Dash Attack: The Doom Slayer will lunge out with a straight punch, Blade of Doom extended. The Blade itself does some decent damage by itself but does even more damage at the fist.

Side Smash: After some long wind-up, the Doom Slayer will viciously swing the chainsaw in front of himself, dealing 8 hits of damage total. This doesn't have a charging hitbox like Corrin's Side Smash, but is great at whittling down your opponent.

Up Smash: Aiming his new toy, the Ballista, upwards, the Doom Slayer will fire a shot from it, reaching extra high into the top of the screen. This has the highest range for an Up-Smash ever, beating even Palutena's Up Smash, but it's as thin as the Belmonts' Up Smash, making it difficult to hit with.

Down Smash: After loading two shells into the Super Shotgun, the Doom Slayer will fire it at both sides of himself, referencing the Super Shotgun Mastery from Doom 2016. Each blast is dismal in terms of damage and knockback from far away, but the sweet spot at the muzzle of the gun makes it even more of a kill move than a majority of his moves.
Grab and Pummel: Lifting them into the air by the neck like the unfortunate Deag Nilox, the Doom Slayer will squeeze the opponent's neck (Or where their neck should be) for his pummel. The pummel itself has very average speed and damage.

F-throw: A brutal one-two punch that knocks the opponent forwards. This throw does some decent damage for an F-throw, but isn't generally useful for killing.

D-throw: The Doom Slayer will drop the opponent to the floor facefirst before stomping on their head. This has some fairly decent damage and knockback, but is a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none throw.

B-throw: The Doom Slayer dashes behind the opponent, then thrust kicks them in the back, knocking them farther away. This has some good damage and great knockback, making this the go-to for throw kills.

U-throw: Sweeping his foot in front of himself, the Doom Slayer will trip the opponent up before bringing his fist down upon them, making them bounce off the floor with exceptional force to propel them upwards.
N-air: Swiping the Blade of Doom around himself, the Doom Slayer will attack in this way to deal damage to all sides of himself.

F-air: The Doom Slayer will dash forwards and land a meaty punch in front of himself.

B-air: The Doom Slayer will dash forwards and land a meaty punch in front of himself.

(PROTIP: F-air and B-air can be used twice in succession with themselves or each other, like F-air + F-air or B-air + F-air. Doing so, however, will leave you in a helpless state.)

D-air: The Doom Slayer will thrust his feet downwards, using the force of his Lateral Thrusters to blast opponents downwards in a meteor strike.

U-air: The Doom Slayer will wind up, then raise his knee upwards, striking opponents with enough force to knock them upwards.
Neutral Special: Slayer's Arsenal:
The Doom Slayer will take out a gun, then enter a state where he can shoot while moving, similarly to Banjo and Kazooie's Breegull Blaster. You can dodge or shield to cancel out of this state. You can fire your gun by tapping B, and tilt the Joystick to aim while firing. In this state, you can also hold A to open the Weapon Wheel, where you can swap between guns similarly to how you choose Monado Arts with Shulk. The guns the Doom Slayer can use are as follows:
  • Shotgun: A short-ranged burst that's more powerful the closer it is. This is the gun you are automatically equipped with at the start of every game.
  • Heavy Cannon: A heavy weapon that fires projectiles similar to Bayonetta's Bullet Climax. This fires 8 shots per second.
  • Chaingun: A rapid-fire weapon that fires weak shots at 15 shots per second and has the same hitbox properties as Bayonetta's Bullet Arts.
  • Plasma Gun: A rapid-fire energy weapon that shoots bolts of plasma at 12 bolts per second, and has the same properties as Fox's Blaster.
  • Ballista: A heavy precision weapon that has far reach that fires 1 shot per second and has the same hitbox properties as Byleth's fully-charged Failnaught, making it an amazing kill move. This can kick him back in the opposite direction he fires it, making it an unconventional means for recovery.
  • Rocket Launcher: An explosive weapon that fires 2 explosive projectiles per second. This deals high splash damage and has as much knockback as Snake's Nikita.
If Doom Slayer has performed a Glory Kill, the weapon he has equipped when it happened will access its Weapon Mod that gives the gun different properties:
  • Sticky Bomb: Exactly what you think it does.
  • Micro Missiles: The Heavy Cannon will fire up to six tiny rockets that rack up damage and has some very low knockback.
  • Mobile Turret: The Chaingun will split into four smaller barrels and automatically shoot for 8 seconds at quadruple the normal fire rate. After 8 seconds, the gun will overheat, leaving him unable to do anything for 3 seconds.
  • Microwave Beam: The Doom Slayer will lock onto an opponent within Grab distance, and start slowly incinerating him with a continuous stream of energy. When you deal 25% damage in a single go, the opponent will explode, damaging all nearby opponents and knocking the opponent back a good distance.
  • Destroyer Blade: The Ballista will charge for a bit, then fire a large blade of fire that travels a set distance before disappearing, piercing through all opponents in its path.
  • Lock-On Burst: The Rocket Launcher will take 4 seconds to lock onto an opponent that it is aimed at, then fire a burst of three rockets that hone in on the opponent's position at the moment it was fired.
Side Special: Blood Punch:
The Doom Slayer will dash forwards and perform a brutal haymaker to an opponent. This is a good kill move at 120% damage, and a great means to deal damage. When Glory Boosted, the Blood Punch will create an explosion that damages multiple opponents. When Doom Slayer hits an opponent with a Glory Boosted Blood Punch, he must perform another Glory Kill before he can use that kind of Blood Punch again.

Up Special: Meat Hook:
The Doom Slayer will take out his Super Shotgun and shoot its new Meat Hook in the direction of the joystick. As a tether recovery, it isn't as far-reaching as Joker's or Byleth's Up Special, but it can grab an opponent either on the ground or in the air. Upon grabbing an opponent, he can reel himself towards the opponent, like a slower Byleth Up Special. The opponent can mash out of Meat Hook. While reeling towards the opponent, he can do one of two things: press A to blast the opponent with the Super Shotgun at the cost of your momentum, or press B to release the opponent without losing momentum at the risk of being punished. When Glory Boosted, the Meat Hook can deal damage over time to grappled opponents during the whole time. After grappling an opponent once, he must perform another Glory Kill before he can burn opponents of Meat Hook again.

Down Special: Equipment Launcher:
The Doom Slayer will activate his shoulder-mounted cannon and fire one of three kinds of grenades: Frag Grenade, Siphon Grenade, or Ice Bomb. Frag Grenades are like Snake's Grenades. Siphon Grenades heal the Doom Slayer for a portion of the damage dealt. Ice Bombs freeze opponents caught in the blast. When Glory Boosted, the Equipment Launcher will instead use the Flame Belcher, which reaches out about 1/8 the range of Byleth's Failnaught, and all opponents caught will get damaged over time. After one use, he must perform another Glory Kill before he can use the Flame Belcher again.

FINAL SMASH: BFG-9000/UNMAYKR:
With the Smash Ball in his veins like Argent Energy, the Doom Slayer will take out the BFG-9000 and fire a single projectile in front of himself. The shot itself releases tendrils that stun and damage opponents over time, and it hits an opponent or the edge of the screen, the BFG shot will explode and inflict immense damage to all opponents. When Glory Boosted, he will instead break out the Unmaykr and fire a massive barrage of lasers that auto-target opponents and instantly KO opponents the moment they reach 100% or higher. This barrage lasts for 8 seconds before it is over.
In short, the Doom Slayer is a mobile powerhouse whose damage output and KO potential are unparalleled in the roster. Having combined the swift movements and brutal attacks of a rushdown character with the far range and smart projectile playstyle of a zoner character, the Slayer blurs the line between both archetypes, giving him one of the most versatile offensive gameplans of any character. However, he is very easy to kill if he's not moving, has a size comparable to the average heavyweight, and his greatest asset requires immense dedication to make use of.

So there. My piece de resistance! The BFG/Unmaykr talk I had with you guys was the main inspiration for how the Final Smash works. Hope you guys like it! :)

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Looks like it's been a while since I posted my moveset for the Doom Slayer, but after some pondering and some tweaks, I think I got a better one than I did before.

As the Doom Slayer damages his enemy, a Slayer's Mark will start forming over the opponent's model. When the Slayer's Mark completely encompasses the opponent, they will be prone to a Glory Kill, a brutal attack that instantly KOs the opponent with a red-colored KO explosion. However, this requires a lot of dedication, as the Doom Slayer must deal 100% damage to a single opponent to complete the Slayer's Mark, and even then it's for a mere eight-second period for the Glory Kill. After the period ends, the Slayer must deal another 100% damage before they are prone. But besides that, Glory Killing can provide more than just a free kill. It can boost his Specials, and heal for .5x of all excess damage above 100%. Each Glory Kill is unique to each character and causes a unique "Glory Zoom", which turns the screen red on black on the final hit of the Glory Kill.

Jab: The Doom Slayer will do two hook punches before bashing them over the head with the flashlight from Doom 3. In dark rooms, you can even see a little light emanating from it. For his rapid jab, the Doom Slayer will lunge the chainsaw forwards, hacking them up.

F-tilt: The Doom Slayer will fire his pistol in front of himself. This is a very disjointed hurtbox, much like Bullets Arts, but is much less spammable.

U-tilt: The Doom Slayer swipes his chainsaw over himself. This has some good range but doesn't really have that much kill power, as the chainsaw is meant to be a sustained-damage weapon.

Dash Attack: The Doom Slayer will lunge out with a straight punch, Blade of Doom extended. The Blade itself does some decent damage by itself but does even more damage at the fist.

Side Smash: After some long wind-up, the Doom Slayer will viciously swing the chainsaw in front of himself, dealing 8 hits of damage total. This doesn't have a charging hitbox like Corrin's Side Smash, but is great at whittling down your opponent.

Up Smash: Aiming his new toy, the Ballista, upwards, the Doom Slayer will fire a shot from it, reaching extra high into the top of the screen. This has the highest range for an Up-Smash ever, beating even Palutena's Up Smash, but it's as thin as the Belmonts' Up Smash, making it difficult to hit with.

Down Smash: After loading two shells into the Super Shotgun, the Doom Slayer will fire it at both sides of himself, referencing the Super Shotgun Mastery from Doom 2016. Each blast is dismal in terms of damage and knockback from far away, but the sweet spot at the muzzle of the gun makes it even more of a kill move than a majority of his moves.
Grab and Pummel: Lifting them into the air by the neck like the unfortunate Deag Nilox, the Doom Slayer will squeeze the opponent's neck (Or where their neck should be) for his pummel. The pummel itself has very average speed and damage.

F-throw: A brutal one-two punch that knocks the opponent forwards. This throw does some decent damage for an F-throw, but isn't generally useful for killing.

D-throw: The Doom Slayer will drop the opponent to the floor facefirst before stomping on their head. This has some fairly decent damage and knockback, but is a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none throw.

B-throw: The Doom Slayer dashes behind the opponent, then thrust kicks them in the back, knocking them farther away. This has some good damage and great knockback, making this the go-to for throw kills.

U-throw: Sweeping his foot in front of himself, the Doom Slayer will trip the opponent up before bringing his fist down upon them, making them bounce off the floor with exceptional force to propel them upwards.
N-air: Swiping the Blade of Doom around himself, the Doom Slayer will attack in this way to deal damage to all sides of himself.

F-air: The Doom Slayer will dash forwards and land a meaty punch in front of himself.

B-air: The Doom Slayer will dash forwards and land a meaty punch in front of himself.

(PROTIP: F-air and B-air can be used twice in succession with themselves or each other, like F-air + F-air or B-air + F-air. Doing so, however, will leave you in a helpless state.)

D-air: The Doom Slayer will thrust his feet downwards, using the force of his Lateral Thrusters to blast opponents downwards in a meteor strike.

U-air: The Doom Slayer will wind up, then raise his knee upwards, striking opponents with enough force to knock them upwards.
The Doom Slayer will take out a gun, then enter a state where he can shoot while moving, similarly to Banjo and Kazooie's Breegull Blaster. You can dodge or shield to cancel out of this state. You can fire your gun by tapping B, and tilt the Joystick to aim while firing. In this state, you can also hold A to open the Weapon Wheel, where you can swap between guns similarly to how you choose Monado Arts with Shulk. The guns the Doom Slayer can use are as follows:
  • Shotgun: A short-ranged burst that's more powerful the closer it is. This is the gun you are automatically equipped with at the start of every game.
  • Heavy Cannon: A heavy weapon that fires projectiles similar to Bayonetta's Bullet Climax. This fires 8 shots per second.
  • Chaingun: A rapid-fire weapon that fires weak shots at 15 shots per second and has the same hitbox properties as Bayonetta's Bullet Arts.
  • Plasma Gun: A rapid-fire energy weapon that shoots bolts of plasma at 12 bolts per second, and has the same properties as Fox's Blaster.
  • Ballista: A heavy precision weapon that has far reach that fires 1 shot per second and has the same hitbox properties as Byleth's fully-charged Failnaught, making it an amazing kill move. This can kick him back in the opposite direction he fires it, making it an unconventional means for recovery.
  • Rocket Launcher: An explosive weapon that fires 2 explosive projectiles per second. This deals high splash damage and has as much knockback as Snake's Nikita.
If Doom Slayer has performed a Glory Kill, the weapon he has equipped when it happened will access its Weapon Mod that gives the gun different properties:
  • Micro Missiles: The Heavy Cannon will fire up to six tiny rockets that rack up damage and has some very low knockback.
  • Mobile Turret: The Chaingun will split into four smaller barrels and automatically shoot for 8 seconds at quadruple the normal fire rate. After 8 seconds, the gun will overheat, leaving him unable to do anything for 3 seconds.
  • Microwave Beam: The Doom Slayer will lock onto an opponent within Grab distance, and start slowly incinerating him with a continuous stream of energy. When you deal 25% damage in a single go, the opponent will explode, damaging all nearby opponents and knocking the opponent back a good distance.
  • Destroyer Blade: The Ballista will charge for a bit, then fire a large blade of fire that travels a set distance before disappearing, piercing through all opponents in its path.
  • Lock-On Burst: The Rocket Launcher will take 4 seconds to lock onto an opponent that it is aimed at, then fire a burst of three rockets that hone in on the opponent's position at the moment it was fired.
The Doom Slayer will dash forwards and perform a brutal haymaker to an opponent. This is a good kill move at 120% damage, and a great means to deal damage. When Glory Boosted, the Blood Punch will create an explosion that damages multiple opponents. When Doom Slayer hits an opponent with a Glory Boosted Blood Punch, he must perform another Glory Kill before he can use that kind of Blood Punch again.

The Doom Slayer will take out his Super Shotgun and shoot its new Meat Hook in the direction of the joystick. As a tether recovery, it isn't as far-reaching as Joker's or Byleth's Up Special, but it can grab an opponent either on the ground or in the air. Upon grabbing an opponent, he can reel himself towards the opponent, like a slower Byleth Up Special. The opponent can mash out of Meat Hook. While reeling towards the opponent, he can do one of two things: press A to blast the opponent with the Super Shotgun at the cost of your momentum, or press B to release the opponent without losing momentum at the risk of being punished. When Glory Boosted, the Meat Hook can deal damage over time to grappled opponents during the whole time. After grappling an opponent once, he must perform another Glory Kill before he can burn opponents of Meat Hook again.

The Doom Slayer will activate his shoulder-mounted cannon and fire one of three kinds of grenades: Frag Grenade, Siphon Grenade, or Ice Bomb. Frag Grenades are like Snake's Grenades. Siphon Grenades heal the Doom Slayer for a portion of the damage dealt. Ice Bombs freeze opponents caught in the blast. When Glory Boosted, the Equipment Launcher will instead use the Flame Belcher, which reaches out about 1/8 the range of Byleth's Failnaught, and all opponents caught will get damaged over time. After one use, he must perform another Glory Kill before he can use the Flame Belcher again.

With the Smash Ball in his veins like Argent Energy, the Doom Slayer will take out the BFG-9000 and fire a single projectile in front of himself. The shot itself releases tendrils that stun and damage opponents over time, and it hits an opponent or the edge of the screen, the BFG shot will explode and inflict immense damage to all opponents. When Glory Boosted, he will instead break out the Unmaykr and fire a massive barrage of lasers that auto-target opponents and instantly KO opponents the moment they reach 100% or higher. This barrage lasts for 8 seconds before it is over.
In short, the Doom Slayer is a mobile powerhouse whose damage output and KO potential are unparalleled in the roster. Having combined the swift movements and brutal attacks of a rushdown character with the far range and smart projectile playstyle of a zoner character, the Slayer blurs the line between both archetypes, giving him one of the most versatile offensive gameplans of any character. However, he is very easy to kill if he's not moving, has a size comparable to the average heavyweight, and his greatest asset requires immense dedication to make use of.

So there. My piece de resistance! The BFG/Unmaykr talk I had with you guys was the main inspiration for how the Final Smash works. Hope you guys like it! :)
I mean, aside from being able to Glory KO after dealing only 100 damage (which, considering how quickly the Slayer looks capable of racking up damage with this moveset, might be a too low a threshold), his Grab not being the Meathook and the Up-B not being a Rocket Jump, this moveset is very well thought-out good job.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I've played through all of Doom 1 (Minus Thy Flesh Consumed because screw that episode), and a third of the way through Doom II. It's...oddly easier on my second playthrough. I feel like once I know which demon is coming around which corner on what map, it feels much easier. I've been gathering more secrets as well, and I'm completely decked out with all the weapons. My pre-64 Doom crusade has been making some good progress, and I can't wait for it to be released.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

I like the moveset, but I'm confused about one thing -- is the 'Blade of Doom' his wristblade or the Sword?

If it's not the sword, it should totally be the Sword.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I like the moveset, but I'm confused about one thing -- is the 'Blade of Doom' his wristblade or the Sword?

If it's not the sword, it should totally be the Sword.
Yeah, I'm talking about the wristblade. The Crucible Sword, meanwhile, I didn't know how to implement it while making it balanced. At one point, I had it temporarily replace Blood Punch when you score a Glory Kill, but that was a time before I knew how it worked in Doom Eternal. Also, the way Blood Punch functions here seems more faithful.

Also, I think I saw the wristblade being called the "Blade of Doom" in the Codex.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Yeah, I'm talking about the wristblade. The Crucible Sword, meanwhile, I didn't know how to implement it while making it balanced. At one point, I had it temporarily replace Blood Punch when you score a Glory Kill, but that was a time before I knew how it worked in Doom Eternal. Also, the way Blood Punch functions here seems more faithful.

Also, I think I saw the wristblade being called the "Blade of Doom" in the Codex.
Pretty sure it was the 'Doomblade'.

The Icon Of Smash

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I am a new account here, but I have been checking out this thread for quite a few months now, despite just creating this account. I've been interested in creating a Smashboards account for quite awhile, just to post on this thread, as like many of you, I very much am a massive Doom fan, and Doomguy/Doom Slayer is my number 1 most wanted newcomer for Smash Ultimate. I wrote a bit of a mini essay about month or two ago regarding a certain leak that I'm certain most of you guys are aware of. I'm posting this now to give you guys a bit of a different perspective of the "Cacomallow leak", as well as to spread a bit of optimism for those who are still a bit down, after the Marty interview. Sit back and relax, as you're in for quite a read.

Welcome, my fellow Doombros.Today I will be discussing the most fascinating leak from the last few months or so: the Cacomallow video and image leak! A leak that so far has not been debunked, and one which still remains a total mystery (for now). It is similar to the Grinch leak in that it not only includes hints for highly requested playable characters, but also a scary amount of evidence going for it. One major difference between the two leaks however is that the Grinch leak was debunked almost the minute we saw those accursed furry eyes in the (lets be honest lads) extremely disappointing "final" Smash direct from November 2018, yet Cacomallow still survives, despite neither of the two Smash presentations since it leaked helping it's credibility (on surface level at least). Now this mini essay isn't going to discuss the credibility of the leak (if you want the quick version, I think it's still real), but rather a certain part of the leak, that being the Cacodemon hat/helmet itself. While most people would naturally jump the gun and assume this confirms that Doom Slayer is playable (which is very understandable), some people remained skeptical, and came to the conclusion that either A: Doom Slayer would also be a Mii costume in addition to the Cacodemon, or B: the Cacodemon is the only piece of DOOM content that we'll be getting. I'm here to tell you that options A and B are (most likely) not the case AT ALL. I say most likely because you can never truly know for sure, but I feel extremely confident in this, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this. To debunk option A, we have never gotten two BRAND NEW 3rd party Mii costumes from an unrepresented series in Smash, with two minor exceptions, those being the two Monster Hunter Mii costumes from Smash 4, as well as the Virtua Fighter costumes from Smash 4 whch have also returned in Ultimate. I say those are minor exceptions because those costumes were from companies ALREADY WORKING ON/WORKING WITH SMASH, meaning negotiations for them were almsot nonexistent, and were likely already decided before the base game. Before I get to my next point, I would like to bring up something that doesn't get talked about too much anymore, and that is the fact that the Cacodemon Mii hat in the leak is 100% ORIGINAL AND UNIQUE to any Cacodemon model we have seen before. This specific model hasn't been in any DOOM, Bethesda, or Id Software project before. Keep this in mind as we move into the second point, which is that some people assume that the Cacodemon Mii hat (if it is indeed real) will be the only piece of DOOM content coming to Smash. Watch as I destroy this silly little argument. Picture this: you're Sakurai himself, or a representative of Nintendo (the ladder being more likely since Nintendo is calling the shots for Vol. 2, like with Vol. 1) who is going to negotiate with Bethesda/Id Software/Zenimax. You go to someone like Pete Hines and you say something along the lines of: "Hello there Mr. Bethesda man! We here at Nintendo would like to add content from your comapny in Smash. However despite having to travel all this way from Japan just to have this meeting, we do not want to add a character, but we just want to add a Cacodemon from Doom with a COMPLETELY ORIGINAL 3D MODEL. Not even the main protagonist of the game that people actually want as a playable character, but just a demon as a Mii helmet with (presumably) no music, and on top of all of that, it's not even a full costume, it's just a helmet". I don't know about you, but that scenario sounds COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS! I know Sakurai and Nintendo may seem a bit tone deaf at times (especially with Byleth's inclusion), but they still do listen to the fans quite often, and they know that a lot of fans want Doom Slayer, as he has been one of the most requested and talked about characters over the last two years, and support for him, as well as continued talk for him, along with the how the DOOM series has been growing to such a massive extent. Even if by some insane turn of events he did only add one DOOM Mii costume, it would be Doom Slayer himself, as that is the character that people want to play as, not the demon. But even then, I highly doubt that will happen. We know that Sakurai has respect and is aware of DOOM's, as he literally mentioned John Carmack (DOOM series co-creator), and how said how he's the father of the FPS genre, and Sakurai himself is even into PC gaming, so the chances that he has played DOOM and is a fan of it are EXTREMELY HIGH. Even if Sakurai has no say in the process of choosing the characters at all, Nintendo would still recognize how big, and how important DOOM is, especially with the upcoming, and highly anticipated release of DOOM Eternal, arguably the biggest 3rd party game Nintendo has coming out this year, and surely Nintendo would want to capitalize on the game, and there's no better incentive for people to buy the game on Switch, other than adding Doom Slayer himself to Smash as part of the Fighters Pass Vol. 2! So for that reason, and with the high requests as well as being one of the most talked about characters, the only logical option for Nintendo and Sakurai is to add Doom Slayer as a playable character with a stage, music, Spirits, and a FULL set of Mii costumes, which is also what Bethesda would want, as they would make far more profit from a full fledged challenger pack, as well as an inevitable Doom Slayer Amiibo. They would also definitely choose Doom Slayer as their rep in my opinion, since he is by far the most requested, has a new game coming out this year, as well having every DOOM game on Switch, which they would certainly want to capitalize on all that hype. They also would want something big to advertise DOOM Eternal on Switch, since it is coming out at a later date this year, and having Doom Slayer playable in Smash would certainly be an insensitive for Switch players and Nintendo fans. So in conclusion, I strongly believe that the Cacodemon Mii hat (and by extension the Mallow Mii hat) is most likely real, and is basically a dead giveaway that Doom Slayer will be a playable (possibly along with Geno) in one of the upcoming challenger packs, due to the reasons stated above. Thank for taking the time to read this Doombros, I really appreciate it.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Finely done with Plutonia, and man I ****ing hate the Icon of Sin fights, never doing them again unless I can aim up and down.

Its going to be really cool to see what these things are going to be like in Eternal. Bet one of them being the Betrayers son gets brought up at some point.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hello everyone, I am a new account here, but I have been checking out this thread for quite a few months now, despite just creating this account. I've been interested in creating a Smashboards account for quite awhile, just to post on this thread, as like many of you, I very much am a massive Doom fan, and Doomguy/Doom Slayer is my number 1 most wanted newcomer for Smash Ultimate. I wrote a bit of a mini essay about month or two ago regarding a certain leak that I'm certain most of you guys are aware of. I'm posting this now to give you guys a bit of a different perspective of the "Cacomallow leak", as well as to spread a bit of optimism for those who are still a bit down, after the Marty interview. Sit back and relax, as you're in for quite a read.

Welcome, my fellow Doombros.Today I will be discussing the most fascinating leak from the last few months or so: the Cacomallow video and image leak! A leak that so far has not been debunked, and one which still remains a total mystery (for now). It is similar to the Grinch leak in that it not only includes hints for highly requested playable characters, but also a scary amount of evidence going for it. One major difference between the two leaks however is that the Grinch leak was debunked almost the minute we saw those accursed furry eyes in the (lets be honest lads) extremely disappointing "final" Smash direct from November 2018, yet Cacomallow still survives, despite neither of the two Smash presentations since it leaked helping it's credibility (on surface level at least). Now this mini essay isn't going to discuss the credibility of the leak (if you want the quick version, I think it's still real), but rather a certain part of the leak, that being the Cacodemon hat/helmet itself. While most people would naturally jump the gun and assume this confirms that Doom Slayer is playable (which is very understandable), some people remained skeptical, and came to the conclusion that either A: Doom Slayer would also be a Mii costume in addition to the Cacodemon, or B: the Cacodemon is the only piece of DOOM content that we'll be getting. I'm here to tell you that options A and B are (most likely) not the case AT ALL. I say most likely because you can never truly know for sure, but I feel extremely confident in this, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this. To debunk option A, we have never gotten two BRAND NEW 3rd party Mii costumes from an unrepresented series in Smash, with two minor exceptions, those being the two Monster Hunter Mii costumes from Smash 4, as well as the Virtua Fighter costumes from Smash 4 whch have also returned in Ultimate. I say those are minor exceptions because those costumes were from companies ALREADY WORKING ON/WORKING WITH SMASH, meaning negotiations for them were almsot nonexistent, and were likely already decided before the base game. Before I get to my next point, I would like to bring up something that doesn't get talked about too much anymore, and that is the fact that the Cacodemon Mii hat in the leak is 100% ORIGINAL AND UNIQUE to any Cacodemon model we have seen before. This specific model hasn't been in any DOOM, Bethesda, or Id Software project before. Keep this in mind as we move into the second point, which is that some people assume that the Cacodemon Mii hat (if it is indeed real) will be the only piece of DOOM content coming to Smash. Watch as I destroy this silly little argument. Picture this: you're Sakurai himself, or a representative of Nintendo (the ladder being more likely since Nintendo is calling the shots for Vol. 2, like with Vol. 1) who is going to negotiate with Bethesda/Id Software/Zenimax. You go to someone like Pete Hines and you say something along the lines of: "Hello there Mr. Bethesda man! We here at Nintendo would like to add content from your comapny in Smash. However despite having to travel all this way from Japan just to have this meeting, we do not want to add a character, but we just want to add a Cacodemon from Doom with a COMPLETELY ORIGINAL 3D MODEL. Not even the main protagonist of the game that people actually want as a playable character, but just a demon as a Mii helmet with (presumably) no music, and on top of all of that, it's not even a full costume, it's just a helmet". I don't know about you, but that scenario sounds COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS! I know Sakurai and Nintendo may seem a bit tone deaf at times (especially with Byleth's inclusion), but they still do listen to the fans quite often, and they know that a lot of fans want Doom Slayer, as he has been one of the most requested and talked about characters over the last two years, and support for him, as well as continued talk for him, along with the how the DOOM series has been growing to such a massive extent. Even if by some insane turn of events he did only add one DOOM Mii costume, it would be Doom Slayer himself, as that is the character that people want to play as, not the demon. But even then, I highly doubt that will happen. We know that Sakurai has respect and is aware of DOOM's, as he literally mentioned John Carmack (DOOM series co-creator), and how said how he's the father of the FPS genre, and Sakurai himself is even into PC gaming, so the chances that he has played DOOM and is a fan of it are EXTREMELY HIGH. Even if Sakurai has no say in the process of choosing the characters at all, Nintendo would still recognize how big, and how important DOOM is, especially with the upcoming, and highly anticipated release of DOOM Eternal, arguably the biggest 3rd party game Nintendo has coming out this year, and surely Nintendo would want to capitalize on the game, and there's no better incentive for people to buy the game on Switch, other than adding Doom Slayer himself to Smash as part of the Fighters Pass Vol. 2! So for that reason, and with the high requests as well as being one of the most talked about characters, the only logical option for Nintendo and Sakurai is to add Doom Slayer as a playable character with a stage, music, Spirits, and a FULL set of Mii costumes, which is also what Bethesda would want, as they would make far more profit from a full fledged challenger pack, as well as an inevitable Doom Slayer Amiibo. They would also definitely choose Doom Slayer as their rep in my opinion, since he is by far the most requested, has a new game coming out this year, as well having every DOOM game on Switch, which they would certainly want to capitalize on all that hype. They also would want something big to advertise DOOM Eternal on Switch, since it is coming out at a later date this year, and having Doom Slayer playable in Smash would certainly be an insensitive for Switch players and Nintendo fans. So in conclusion, I strongly believe that the Cacodemon Mii hat (and by extension the Mallow Mii hat) is most likely real, and is basically a dead giveaway that Doom Slayer will be a playable (possibly along with Geno) in one of the upcoming challenger packs, due to the reasons stated above. Thank for taking the time to read this Doombros, I really appreciate it.
Welcome to the forums! Glad to see that you're so enthusiastic about Doomguy, and I hope that you enjoy your time here!

One quick suggestion; if you're writing something as long as this, it might help to press Enter twice after every couple of sentences, in order to space it out and make it easier to follow what you're saying.

The Icon Of Smash

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the forums! Glad to see that you're so enthusiastic about Doomguy, and I hope that you enjoy your time here!

One quick suggestion; if you're writing something as long as this, it might help to press Enter twice after every couple of sentences, in order to space it out and make it easier to follow what you're saying.
Thanks for the introduction! And I would agree with the spacing, as I was considering doing that (as it is quite a long read), but I decided against since I wasn't sure what parts I wanted to space. I will keep this advice in mind for my future posts.

KillerCage

Smash Master

Welcome aboard!

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the introduction! And I would agree with the spacing, as I was considering doing that (as it is quite a long read), but I decided against since I wasn't sure what parts I wanted to space. I will keep this advice in mind for my future posts.
Say no more.
Welcome, my fellow Doombros. Today I will be discussing the most fascinating leak from the last few months or so: the Cacomallow video and image leak! A leak that so far has not been debunked, and one which still remains a total mystery (for now). It is similar to the Grinch leak in that it not only includes hints for highly requested playable characters but also a scary amount of evidence going for it. One major difference between the two leaks, however, is that the Grinch leak was debunked almost the minute we saw those accursed furry eyes in the (let's be honest lads) extremely disappointing "final" Smash Direct from November 2018, yet Cacomallow still survives, despite neither of the two Smash presentations since it leaked helping its credibility (on a surface level at least).

Now, this mini-essay isn't going to discuss the credibility of the leak (if you want the quick version, I think it's still real), but rather a certain part of the leak, that being the Cacodemon hat/helmet itself. While most people would naturally jump the gun and assume this confirms that Doom Slayer is playable (which is very understandable), some people remained sceptical and came to the conclusion that either
  1. Doom Slayer would also be a Mii costume in addition to the Cacodemon, or
  2. The Cacodemon is the only piece of DOOM content that we'll be getting.
I'm here to tell you that options A and B are (most likely) not the case AT ALL. I say most likely because you can never truly know for sure, but I feel extremely confident in this, otherwise, I wouldn't be writing this.

To debunk option A, we have never gotten two BRAND NEW 3rd party Mii costumes from an unrepresented series in Smash, with two minor exceptions, those being the two Monster Hunter Mii costumes from Smash 4, as well as the Virtua Fighter costumes from Smash 4 which have also returned in Ultimate. I say those are minor exceptions because those costumes were from companies ALREADY WORKING ON/WORKING WITH SMASH, meaning negotiations for them were almost nonexistent and were likely already decided before the base game.

Before I get to my next point, I would like to bring up something that doesn't get talked about too much anymore, and that is the fact that the Cacodemon Mii hat in the leak is 100% ORIGINAL AND UNIQUE to any Cacodemon model we have seen before. This specific model hasn't been in any DOOM, Bethesda, or Id Software project before. Keep this in mind as we move into the second point, which is that some people assume that the Cacodemon Mii hat (if it is indeed real) will be the only piece of DOOM content coming to Smash. Watch as I destroy this silly little argument.

Picture this: you're Sakurai himself, or a representative of Nintendo (the ladder being more likely since Nintendo is calling the shots for Vol. 2, like with Vol. 1) who is going to negotiate with Bethesda/Id Software/Zenimax. You go to someone like Pete Hines and you say something along the lines of:

"Hello there Mr Bethesda man! We here at Nintendo would like to add content from your company in Smash. However despite having to travel all this way from Japan just to have this meeting, we do not want to add a character, but we just want to add a Cacodemon from Doom with a COMPLETELY ORIGINAL 3D MODEL. Not even the main protagonist of the game that people actually want as a playable character, but just a demon as a Mii helmet with (presumably) no music, and on top of all of that, it's not even a full costume, it's just a helmet".
I don't know about you, but that scenario sounds COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS! I know Sakurai and Nintendo may seem a bit tone-deaf at times (especially with Byleth's inclusion), but they still do listen to the fans quite often, and they know that a lot of fans want Doom Slayer, as he has been one of the most requested and talked about characters over the last two years, and support for him, as well as continued talk for him, along with the how the DOOM series has been growing to such a massive extent. Even if by some insane turn of events he did only add one DOOM Mii costume, it would be Doom Slayer himself, as that is the character that people want to play as, not the demon.

But even then, I highly doubt that will happen. We know that Sakurai has respect and is aware of DOOM's, as he literally mentioned John Carmack (DOOM series co-creator), and how said how he's the father of the FPS genre, and Sakurai himself is even into PC gaming, so the chances that he has played DOOM and is a fan of it are EXTREMELY HIGH. Even if Sakurai has no say in the process of choosing the characters at all, Nintendo would still recognize how big, and how important DOOM is, especially with the upcoming, and highly anticipated release of DOOM Eternal, arguably the biggest 3rd party game Nintendo has coming out this year, and surely Nintendo would want to capitalize on the game, and there's no better incentive for people to buy the game on Switch, other than adding Doom Slayer himself to Smash as part of the Fighters Pass Vol. 2!

So for that reason, and with the high requests as well as being one of the most talked-about characters, the only logical option for Nintendo and Sakurai is to add Doom Slayer as a playable character with a stage, music, Spirits, and a FULL set of Mii costumes, which is also what Bethesda would want, as they would make far more profit from a full-fledged challenger pack, as well as an inevitable Doom Slayer Amiibo. They would also definitely choose Doom Slayer as their rep in my opinion, since he is by far the most requested, has a new game coming out this year, as well having every DOOM game on Switch, which they would certainly want to capitalize on all that hype. They also would want something big to advertise DOOM Eternal on Switch, since it is coming out at a later date this year, and having Doom Slayer playable in Smash would certainly be insensitive for Switch players and Nintendo fans.

So in conclusion, I strongly believe that the Cacodemon Mii hat (and by extension the Mallow Mii hat) is most likely real, and is basically a dead giveaway that Doom Slayer will be a playable (possibly along with Geno) in one of the upcoming challenger packs, due to the reasons stated above. Thank for taking the time to read this Doombros, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice

That was a great essay! That was definitely one of the best ways to introduce yourself to these forums, nice job man.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I've played through most of Doom II and am on the final boss, and all the rage I have ever felt against the Icon of Sin from my first playthrough has come back to destroy me. John Romero, you are a magnificent man for giving us such an amazing series but screw you for designing this PoS wall boss for Doom II. I've no doubt that the Icon of Sin will be much better in Doom Eternal, but none of that changes the fact that I felt like smashing my Switch to pieces over this boss!

EDIT: Finally beat it! Now to wait for Doom 64.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Good day to all. Been a while since I posted here. A thought just came to mind in regards to Doom Slayer. Before going into that, I'll leave these cookie crumbs from a couple of months ago.

1. DOOM (2016) ported to the Nintendo Switch (Nov. 10, 2017).
2. DOOM Eternal gameplay reveal, and confirmation on Nintendo Switch release, as well as other platforms (Aug. 10, 2018 - QuakeCon 2018).
3. Metro interview with Pete Hines in which when asked if he had spoken to Nintendo about Smash, he replied "Oh yeah..." (Sep. 13, 2018).
4. DOOM 1, 2, and 3 ported to the Nintendo Switch (eShop; Jul. 26, 2019).
5. During the interview with Marty and Hugo (from id Software) at QuakeCon 2019, when the mention of Smash pops up when asked in what other franchises would they like to see the Doom Slayer featured in (Jul. 29, 2019).
6. DOOM 64 announced for release during the September 4, 2019 Nintendo Direct (with Pete Hines himself doing the announcement).
7. DOOM Eternal, AND DOOM 64 both launch on the Nintendo Switch on November 22, 2019. This date is important because remember that Terry Bogard was announced for a November release, and it is highly likely that DLC Fighter #5 will be revealed after his gameplay presentation. The timing would be perfect to draw in the attention of DOOM/FPS fans who still haven't approached Smash Bros. Ultimate into buying the game and the DLC, while others not too familiar with DOOM might be drawn to give the series a try (buying the games). Win-Win for both Nintendo and Bethesda.
8. The most recent piece now, with DOOM Eternal being advertised in the midst of TGS 2019 (not just with some simple niche announcements, but with a huge ad right next to the TGS 2019 ad).
Now to the present thought. DOOM Eternal's release date fast approaches (this upcoming Friday, March 20th) for all consoles and PC, EXCEPT for the Nintendo Switch. There has still yet to be an official announcement regarding the Switch version's release date, but in regards to that there has only been radio silence. I would have expected an update nearing the release date on the other systems, yet there's been no word. As we draw closer to March 20th (date in which Animal Crossing: New Horizons also releases), I've begun to feel that Challenger # 6 of the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 might actually be DOOM Slayer. The mystery behind the release date for DOOM Eternal's Switch version is giving me the impression that they might be holding off said announcement for a dual reveal (DOOM Eternal for Switch release date announcement alongside DOOM Slayer in Smash). To sum it up, here are the points that are leading me to believe further that DOOM Slayer might be our Vol. 2 starter (in addition to the previous cookie crumbs).

1. No word (absolutely NONE) of the release date for the switch version of DOOM Eternal.
2. Throughout months, when asked about DOOM Slayer, or DOOM content being featured in Smash, the main figures behind the DOOM franchise have given evasive answers (non-conclusive).
3. When the official Nintendo twitter announced the date for the Animal Crossing: New Horizons focused Direct, the official DOOM twitter account commented if Isabelle was going to be in said Direct (though this could just be the DOOM team being down with the DOOM Slayer and Isabelle combo, but still :nifty:).
4. DOOM Slayer being the first character for Vol. 2 would cause yet another eye-opening reaction from fans, similar and yet not a-la Joker in the first Fighters Pass.
5. DOOM Slayer being challenger #6 would be fitting since:
  • Going along with the official numbering order on the official Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website, DOOM Slayer would be fighter number 76.
  • Being the first fighter of Vol. 2, of course it goes without saying that he'd be Challenger Pack # 6.
  • The DOOM franchise came back strong into the current gen of consoles on the year 2016.
Oh yeah baby, that there be the number of the beast. :awesome:

Still, we'll just have to wait and see. This is only my humble opinion. :seuss:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Good day to all. Been a while since I posted here. A thought just came to mind in regards to Doom Slayer. Before going into that, I'll leave these cookie crumbs from a couple of months ago.

Now to the present thought. DOOM Eternal's release date fast approaches (this upcoming Friday, March 20th) for all consoles and PC, EXCEPT for the Nintendo Switch. There has still yet to be an official announcement regarding the Switch version's release date, but in regards to that there has only been radio silence. I would have expected an update nearing the release date on the other systems, yet there's been no word. As we draw closer to March 20th (date in which Animal Crossing: New Horizons also releases), I've begun to feel that Challenger # 6 of the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 might actually be DOOM Slayer. The mystery behind the release date for DOOM Eternal's Switch version is giving me the impression that they might be holding off said announcement for a dual reveal (DOOM Eternal for Switch release date announcement alongside DOOM Slayer in Smash). To sum it up, here are the points that are leading me to believe further that DOOM Slayer might be our Vol. 2 starter (in addition to the previous cookie crumbs).

1. No word (absolutely NONE) of the release date for the switch version of DOOM Eternal.
2. Throughout months, when asked about DOOM Slayer, or DOOM content being featured in Smash, the main figures behind the DOOM franchise have given evasive answers (non-conclusive).
3. When the official Nintendo twitter announced the date for the Animal Crossing: New Horizons focused Direct, the official DOOM twitter account commented if Isabelle was going to be in said Direct (though this could just be the DOOM team being down with the DOOM Slayer and Isabelle combo, but still :nifty:).
4. DOOM Slayer being the first character for Vol. 2 would cause yet another eye-opening reaction from fans, similar and yet not a-la Joker in the first Fighters Pass.
  • Going along with the official numbering order on the official Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website, DOOM Slayer would be fighter number 76.
  • Being the first fighter of Vol. 2, of course it goes without saying that he'd be Challenger Pack # 6.
  • The DOOM franchise came back strong into the current gen of consoles on the year 2016.

Interesting case study there, my guy.

With rumors of a Nintendo Direct coming next week (Which has only been made stronger since we just had Indie World, which was also part of the rumor), I'm really hoping we get an announcement for a Switch release date for Doom Eternal. But having Doom Slayer in Smash Bros on top of that?! That would be gory blood-soaked icing on the demonic flesh cake! I'm not saying both are gonna happen, but it would be optimal. One or the other would be just fine.

Which leads me to ask: how long did it take Panic Button to tweak DOOM 2016 to work on Nintendo Switch? Because I've got an idea: we could probably predict what parts of the graphics in Doom Eternal can be tweaked to work well on Switch and estimate how long it could take them to tweak it and release on Switch, starting from January, where it looks like it's gone gold. Doom 2016 was obviously downgraded on Switch, but it's still enough to be an amazing game close enough to its more powerful counterparts despite changes to texture quality, lighting and resolution. It can't possibly take that long to downgrade a game, right?

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Interesting case study there, my guy.

With rumors of a Nintendo Direct coming next week (Which has only been made stronger since we just had Indie World, which was also part of the rumor), I'm really hoping we get an announcement for a Switch release date for Doom Eternal. But having Doom Slayer in Smash Bros on top of that?! That would be gory blood-soaked icing on the demonic flesh cake! I'm not saying both are gonna happen, but it would be optimal. One or the other would be just fine.

Which leads me to ask: how long did it take Panic Button to tweak DOOM 2016 to work on Nintendo Switch? Because I've got an idea: we could probably predict what parts of the graphics in Doom Eternal can be tweaked to work well on Switch and estimate how long it could take them to tweak it and release on Switch, starting from January, where it looks like it's gone gold. Doom 2016 was obviously downgraded on Switch, but it's still enough to be an amazing game close enough to its more powerful counterparts despite changes to texture quality, lighting and resolution. It can't possibly take that long to downgrade a game, right?
It'd be worth pointing out that the folks at Id Software might have already assisted Panic Button in the downscaling and optimisation department, due to the fact that Doom Eternal has a filesize of only 37 Gigabytes (for comparison, Doom 2016's filesize is 78 GB on PC and 22.4 GB on Switch), meaning the game has been optimised to a ridiculous degree.

That last one might be a bit of a stretch, though it's worth keeping in mind that the Direct that could possibly announce the Doom Slayer is supposedly being held on March 26.

So yes, Doom Slayer: Fighter #(Fallout)76, part of Challenger Pack 6, announced on March 26.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It'd be worth pointing out that the folks at Id Software might have already assisted Panic Button in the downscaling and optimisation department, due to the fact that Doom Eternal has a filesize of only 37 Gigabytes (for comparison, Doom 2016's filesize is 78 GB on PC and 22.4 GB on Switch), meaning the game has been optimised to a ridiculous degree.
The Switch version of Doom 2016 is about 70% smaller than the other versions?!

Damn. I knew it was impressive before, but this amplifies it.

Though, I feel as though it didn't answer my question: how long did Panic Button take to make that drastic a file size decrease for the Switch version and make it work? Exactly or approximately, I want at least some semblance of time to apply to Doom Eternal. Obviously 37 gigs are easier to work with, but I still have no idea, sorry.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't...mean anything at all though. DQ had advertisements continually up to the Hero's release, and there's no harm in announcing an upcoming game that will tie into a smash reveal eventually.

This is absolutely not true after the Metro interview. Before that, sure. But after that interview, this argument should have been dropped (unless you want to keep believing that he's coming up with an elaborate lie for...reasons).

I'll include the full thing for you.

MS: I dunno. You would honestly have to ask them. We’ve never been approached and said, ‘Hey can Doomguy be in Smash Bros.?’ But we’re open-minded if they wanna ask. But we hear it all the time [from fans]. Who would say no? [laughs]
GC: But you did ask them? MS: We’ve had… I don’t even know who talked to who, but we’ve bantered with them. We have a great relationship with them through bringing Doom 2016 to Switch and that kind of stuff. So we have great people over there but it’s one of those things where it’s like, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool?’ But it’s never gone anywhere serious, so we’ll see.
I don't expect the brand manager/executive to be aware of any such smash developments, and at best its just them being cheeky about things - like any other twitter handles for game titles.

This can be literally applied to any character out there.

Like, fellow doom-likers, i understand that it's good to push for stuff that you like. But it's important to state what we know to be definite points in DOOM's favor and what is not objectively speaking.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
That doesn't...mean anything at all though. DQ had advertisements continually up to the Hero's release, and there's no harm in announcing an upcoming game that will tie into a smash reveal eventually.

This is absolutely not true after the Metro interview. Before that, sure. But after that interview, this argument should have been dropped (unless you want to keep believing that he's coming up with an elaborate lie for...reasons).

I'll include the full thing for you.

I don't expect the brand manager/executive to be aware of any such smash developments, and at best its just them being cheeky about things - like any other twitter handles for game titles.

This can be literally applied to any character out there.

Like, fellow doom-likers, i understand that it's good to push for stuff that you like. But it's important to state what we know to be definite points in DOOM's favor and what is not objectively speaking.
This is only my humble opinion.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just a heads up that Doom Eternal spoilers are leaking onto Youtube since some people got it early. Mind you, I doubt the game's exactly heavy on the story front, but I just figured I should mention it in case anyone's concerned about that sort of thing.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
My copy of Eternal arrived today and I've been playing it for eight hours straight since. It's good. It's very very good. The changes from 2016 are mostly all good, the FORTRESS OF DOOM is a very good hub world and Doomguy's man cave is full of awful jokes and references, I love this game with all my heart, it makes me so happy.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Wanna know something funny?
Also, I haven't endeavored to prove it yet, but apparently the Khan Maykr shares the same voice actress as Chum Chum.

Yup
V4dTu_C-ncI.jpg

Chum_Chum1.png

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Will say...
Doomguy is now an official name for the Doom Slayer! It had always been his fanon nickname, but the game does have a moment where it acknowledges it as something some people in-universe call him. I am pretty sure this is the first time it has been officially used.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
My copy won’t get here till Tuesday which makes no sense. I do plan on getting 64 on Switch though.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I do plan on getting 64 on Switch though.
So do I.

Doom 64 is certainly gonna tide me over until Eternal finally releases on Switch. Whenever that happens.

He ain't big, but I felt like sending this guy some heads-up support anyways.
So he made part two of this series.

And at 10:30, he actually referenced my comment from last November in that video. ReacesPieces, thank you very much for your compliment!

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Been playing a fair amount of Doom 1 and 2 in the past few weeks. I want Doom Slayer even more then I already did.

But I think his 2016 design should be his default. Not a big fan of all his muscles being exposed.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Been playing a fair amount of Doom 1 and 2 in the past few weeks. I want Doom Slayer even more then I already did.

But I think his 2016 design should be his default. Not a big fan of all his muscles being exposed.
Interesting take, personally I prefer the Eternal design over 2016's Praetor suit. If I had things my way though, i'd make Doomguy's default skin his original Doom 1 and 2 look, with the Eternal and 64 designs as alternates. Definitely gonna use the classic skin for my first playthrough of Eternal as well.

Top Bottom