• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Doom 1/2 for €1.50 and Doom 3 for €3 are pretty solid deals. Shame Doom 4 for Switch is still priced at 60 normally and discounted to 30, it's only €6 on Steam.
Hey, question for those who have Doom 1/2/3 on Switch.

What is the purpose of the R button? (Not ZR).
Mine stopped working, but there are some sweet Doom deals right now, and I would love to buy at least one of them. But I want to make sure R isn’t the fire or activate button, or something that won’t let me progress.
L and R are for cycling weapons, and Quickload/Quicksave. The game features a L+R prompt when you start it, I don't know if there's a way around that.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How is Doom 3? I don't know much about it - I know that the original was more focused on horror elements (it was very dark, and you had to choose between shooting or using a flashlight), but the BFG edition (which is on the Switch) changes that. Otherwise, I know very little about the game, and I want to know if it's good or not.

I know it's only $3, but I'd rather not buy the game if I'm going to dislike it.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
How is Doom 3? I don't know much about it - I know that the original was more focused on horror elements (it was very dark, and you had to choose between shooting or using a flashlight), but the BFG edition (which is on the Switch) changes that. Otherwise, I know very little about the game, and I want to know if it's good or not.

I know it's only $3, but I'd rather not buy the game if I'm going to dislike it.
Question for you, then: do you like Half-Life? Because that’s what Doom 3 basically is. Granted the former was inspired by Doom 1 & 2, and that game would in turn inspire the latter, but I’m just saying how I feel it is.

If you liked Half-Life, then I suppose you could get some enjoyment out of this.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Question for you, then: do you like Half-Life? Because that’s what Doom 3 basically is. Granted the former was inspired by Doom 1 & 2, and that game would in turn inspire the latter, but I’m just saying how I feel it is.

If you liked Half-Life, then I suppose you could get some enjoyment out of this.
I've only played a bit of Half-Life 2 (not episode 1 or 2; just the original HL2), and that was a while ago. From what I remember of it, I liked it, though I found the vehicle section (I remember it being a hovercraft) to be a pain, and I only remember bits and pieces.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I've only played a bit of Half-Life 2 (not episode 1 or 2; just the original HL2), and that was a while ago. From what I remember of it, I liked it, though I found the vehicle section (I remember it being a hovercraft) to be a pain, and I only remember bits and pieces.
Doom 3 takes more Inspiration from Half-Life 1. Doom 3's expansion however, features the Grabber, which is essentially the Gravity Gun from Half-Life 2.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

Doom 3 is a very slow burn type of game, it's not the high octane rip and tear of 2016 or arcade-y BANG of the originals. It still has shoot of course, and the gun play is good. It's a fun game overall if you put it in the more chill mindset and want some spookies. Also I hope it's the BFG edition, it made Doom 3 playable, and comes with the DLC and a whole new side story so, you certainly get your money's worth with it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I somehow dealt with and got used to it. I don’t know how but I did, though it would explain why Imps were often more troublesome than it felt like they needed to be.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
From what i remember and wiki articles and info about it, BFG edition does more damage than fixes, so the best way to experience Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil is said to be the regular versions with some mods.
RoE for example has things cut for no reason, like minigames and certain sections.
But the shotgun wasn't even fixed.
In the possibly rare case that both Doomguy and Crash get in, it'd be nice if id Software and Raven Software (Under Activision stuck in the COD mines) were to let Heretic and Hexen be represented as spirits.
Also, an unrelated reminder that MetaDoom now lets map makers make maps dedicated to the mod and it's tweaked so it can be somewhat compatible with DeHacked based maps.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Interesting... Any clips of the content and stuff of the Doom 3 episodes that were cut from the BFG edition? Just so I can see what they were like for myself, as I enjoyed the Doom 3 era more than most.

Before the BFG edition, I had gotten a used copy of the original Doom 3 for PC, though turned out my computer at the time couldn’t fully run it.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Interesting... Any clips of the content and stuff of the Doom 3 episodes that were cut from the BFG edition? Just so I can see what they were like for myself, as I enjoyed the Doom 3 era more than most.

Before the BFG edition, I had gotten a used copy of the original Doom 3 for PC, though turned out my computer at the time couldn’t fully run it.
'Ere you goe:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ah, so it mostly came down to the removal of the flashlight which I already knew about (don't think it was as much a dealbreaker as it was made out to be there, but I get where they're coming from), but some of the minor aesthetic changes were interesting.

And nice. Doom 3's opening music theme was legendary.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I had the misfortune of playing Doom 3 BFG Edition on PS3.

A few months ago I tried to play it again for a complete 2nd playthrough.
... how did I do that? Why did I put up with that?
The load times made Sonic 06 load times look like Melee load times.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I really, really want Doomguy but I feel like that Interview a while ago kinda torpedo'd his chances, Idk if it's been discussed here yet but what do you guys think?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I really, really want Doomguy but I feel like that Interview a while ago kinda torpedo'd his chances, Idk if it's been discussed here yet but what do you guys think?
I'd say that that interview can be taken just as positively as it can negatively. As we have speculated before, Nintendo probably wouldn't ask iD Software themselves, but rather their parent companies, Bethesda and ZeniMax. Considering Nintendo and Bethesda's relationship, and the latter's support for the Switch, this probably makes more sense. Another thing that's still standing is Cacomallow. That one's still not disproven yet, even after 4 months, and even after that interview, meaning we still got hope here.

So long of the short of it, I wouldn't say the chances are dead for good. There's still some zeal in terms of Doom Slayer support, which to my knowledge has further been bolstered by Doom Eternal coinciding with Animal Crossing, but the interview may have taken a blow to that support.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I've been wondering:

We can agree that Doom Slayer will have an animated face in his U.I. should he have a Classic skin that you play as, right? Which gets me thinking: would Sakurai add some new expressions to how he reacts mid-battle? Imagine him looking sickly when he's taking damage over time (Eiha, flower, poison), or looking rather dazed when he's dizzy (Shield break, Disable). I mean, there's a lot he can react to that already happens in Doom, but I don't think we've seen him react to having his shield broken or poisoned by Rathalos.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
I'd say that that interview can be taken just as positively as it can negatively. As we have speculated before, Nintendo probably wouldn't ask iD Software themselves, but rather their parent companies, Bethesda and ZeniMax. Considering Nintendo and Bethesda's relationship, and the latter's support for the Switch, this probably makes more sense. Another thing that's still standing is Cacomallow. That one's still not disproven yet, even after 4 months, and even after that interview, meaning we still got hope here.

So long of the short of it, I wouldn't say the chances are dead for good. There's still some zeal in terms of Doom Slayer support, which to my knowledge has further been bolstered by Doom Eternal coinciding with Animal Crossing, but the interview may have taken a blow to that support.
That guy is literally the lead developer for DOOM. How would he have zero clue of such a deal happening?
And are we going to keep beating the Cacomallow drum until 2021 because the mii costume keeps being shifted back for "reasons".

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
That guy is literally the lead developer for DOOM. How would he have zero clue of such a deal happening?
In the sense that he'd certainly had been clued in, just that the deal would've primarily been made between Bethesda/Zenimax and Nintendo, not Id Software directly. This gives him the freedom to say that he wasn't directly approached by Nintendo about adding the Doom Slayer into Smash without the statement being an outright lie (which certain other devs don't seem to have problems about, but I digress).
And are we going to keep beating the Cacomallow drum until 2021 because the mii costume keeps being shifted back for "reasons".

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
In the sense that he'd certainly had been clued in, just that the deal would've primarily been made between Bethesda/Zenimax and Nintendo, not Id Software directly. This gives him the freedom to say that he wasn't directly approached by Nintendo about adding the Doom Slayer into Smash without the statement being an outright lie (which certain other devs don't seem to have problems about, but I digress).

I...can't really argue against that kind of optimism (regarding cacomallow).
But the easiest way to interpret Pete's comments is that Bethesda/Zenimax or whoever weren't asked at all, rather than some 8D-dimensional chess where he gets to play around his "lies" by using a gotcha.
I remember when one of Halo's chief leads just randomly mentioned that MC wasn't in pack 1 and people somehow conveniently forgot or pretended that he wasn't in a position to know.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
But the easiest way to interpret Pete's comments is that Bethesda/Zenimax or whoever weren't asked at all, rather than some 8D-dimensional chess where he gets to play around his "lies" by using a gotcha.
True, though Pete Hines (Bethesda's VP of PR and Marketing) wasn't the one who was being interviewed (at least regarding this recent supposed deconfirmation); it was Marty Stratton, one of Doom's directors and the executive producer at Id Software - hence where the separation between Id and Bethesda/Zenimax is key.
Heck, Pete's been more of a string-along tease with his recent social media interactions, especially with questions about Smash and the coinciding release dates of Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing.
I remember when one of Halo's chief leads just randomly mentioned that MC wasn't in pack 1 and people somehow conveniently forgot or pretended that he wasn't in a position to know.
You wouldn't mind elaborating on the who and the how they weren't in a position to know? Keep in mind that outright lies are still on the table (even if I, especially as a Halo fan, feel that Chief's chances are still bleak overall).

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
True, though Pete Hines (Bethesda's VP of PR and Marketing) wasn't the one who was being interviewed (at least regarding this recent supposed deconfirmation); it was Marty Stratton, one of Doom's directors and the executive producer at Id Software - hence where the separation between Id and Bethesda/Zenimax is key.
Heck, Pete's been more of a string-along tease with his recent social media interactions, especially with questions about Smash and the coinciding release dates of Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing.

You wouldn't mind elaborating on the who and the how they weren't in a position to know? Keep in mind that outright lies are still on the table (even if I, especially as a Halo fan, feel that Chief's chances are still bleak overall).
I mean, it doesn't matter whether it was Pete or Marty - either would be in a position to know given how high-up and involved they are in the franchise. Plus the stringalongs are just recognition of a separate thing compared to the straight up deconfirmation.

Anyway, in regard to your question, it was Frank O Conner (the franchise development director)'s comment to the first pass
. Not surprisingly it turned out to be true, which is what mostly happens when devs straight up denied that their character is in.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I mean, it doesn't matter whether it was Pete or Marty - either would be in a position to know given how high-up and involved they are in the franchise. Plus the stringalongs are just recognition of a separate thing compared to the straight up deconfirmation.
I mean, it does. There's a reason why I highlighted the roles that Hines and Stratton fulfil (VP of PR/Marketing at Bethesda and Doom Eternal Game Director + Executive Producer at Id Software, respectively); while it would be reasonable to assume that both would be made aware of the deal, would it not make sense that Nintendo would elect to interact with Hines and some other Bethesda/Zenimax staffers (the former who, as the game's publishers, are explicitly responsible for handling elements of Doom Eternal beyond the scope of game development, such as marketing and cross-promotional affairs) before going straight for the heads at Id Software (who, at that time, would have had their noses down developing Doom Eternal).

Hence, it'd make sense that Bethesda would be the ones that Nintendo would approach first in order to discuss the Doom Slayer's baseline inclusion into Smash, with Id only becoming involved once the deal is agreed upon and Nintendo requires a small degree of creative input on the Doom Slayer as a fighter and other elements like the stage, spirits and music (not that Nintendo have had many problems sorting that stuff out themselves with past DLC fighters).

TL:DR, Nintendo wouldn't need to ask Id Software about adding the Doom Slayer into Smash if Bethesda already gave Ninty the green light to do so, hence why Strattons statement doesn't hurt the Slayer's chances as much as people think it does.

And I don't think I portrayed the stringalongs as deconfirmations, but rather just that; stringalongs to keep the fans guessing and hyped up.
Anyway, in regard to your question, it was Frank O Conner (the franchise development director)'s comment to the first pass
. Not surprisingly it turned out to be true, which is what mostly happens when devs straight up denied that their character is in.
Yeah, I remember seeing that one.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
I mean, it does. There's a reason why I highlighted the roles that Hines and Stratton fulfil (VP of PR/Marketing at Bethesda and Doom Eternal Game Director + Executive Producer at Id Software, respectively); while it would be reasonable to assume that both would be made aware of the deal, would it not make sense that Nintendo would elect to interact with Hines and some other Bethesda/Zenimax staffers (the former who, as the game's publishers, are explicitly responsible for handling elements of Doom Eternal beyond the scope of game development, such as marketing and cross-promotional affairs) before going straight for the heads at Id Software (who, at that time, would have had their noses down developing Doom Eternal).

Hence, it'd make sense that Bethesda would be the ones that Nintendo would approach first in order to discuss the Doom Slayer's baseline inclusion into Smash, with Id only becoming involved once the deal is agreed upon and Nintendo requires a small degree of creative input on the Doom Slayer as a fighter and other elements like the stage, spirits and music (not that Nintendo have had many problems sorting that stuff out themselves with past DLC fighters).

TL:DR, Nintendo wouldn't need to ask Id Software about adding the Doom Slayer into Smash if Bethesda already gave Ninty the green light to do so, hence why Strattons statement doesn't hurt the Slayer's chances as much as people think it does.

Yeah, I remember seeing that one.
Ok i just want to specify - you think that the game director/executive producer of the game in question is completely out of the loop during negotiations, even through we've seen devs of other companies discuss and share materials with Nintendo? Did Id Software keep him in the dark until everything was finalized, even through he is a top-level executive and not some mid-level person? Why would they do that? That's the equivalent of Sakurai not being aware of any talks before the character is presented to him.

Plus as you did mention that he would likely be aware, how would his de-confirmation hold any less weight? He's not going to play 8D chess in terms of what company he belongs to. Why would he?

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Ok i just want to specify - you think that the game director/executive producer of the game in question is completely out of the loop during negotiations, even through we've seen devs of other companies discuss and share materials with Nintendo?
Of course not. I just reason that such a meeting probably wouldn't rank high on Marty's priorities, especially given how, at that point in time, Doom Eternal was deep into its development cycle. Thus, it'd be perfectly reasonable for such decisions to be handled by the individuals whose express job is to discuss and make these deals while Stratton dedicates himself fully to Doom Eternal. Also, negotiations != resource sharing, as the former has to reach an agreement in order for the latter to occur. And what if Bethesda themselves wanted to put forth their own character for Smash? Would Stratton have a say in such matters when it comes to the likes of Shouty McViking and Corporate Stoogeboy?

Everyone always forgets that the thing that kickstarted discussions about the Doom Slayer in Smash Bros was a meeting between Bethesda and Nintendo. Notice how Id Software themselves had scant to nil input in this meeting, and that the primary attendee on Bethesda's behalf (and the one that outright confirmed that Smash constituted a degree of the discussion) was Pete Hines. See how it lines up with what I've been trying to say?

Did Id Software keep him in the dark until everything was finalized, even though he is a top-level executive and not some mid-level person? Why would they do that? That's the equivalent of Sakurai not being aware of any talks before the character is presented to him.
I'm going to assume you meant Bethesda when you mentioned Id Software keeping Stratton in the dark (which is a nonsensical deliberation which I never intended to make). Why would Stratton necessarily need to have been informed about such a decision if it wasn't going to be followed through? At most, he'd hear about it in a meeting with some Beth execs, the notion would be laughed off and they'd move onto more pressing matters (like Doom Eternal's development). No need to incur an additional level of stress until they're absolutely sure that they're working with Nintendo.

And given how Nintendo was the one who picked out the DLC characters for both fighter passes, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that this scenario likely was a reality (especially given how much he dedicates himself to the series).

Plus as you did mention that he would likely be aware, how would his de-confirmation hold any less weight? He's not going to play 8D chess in terms of what company he belongs to. Why would he?
If he were going for the straight deconfirmation, he wouldn't make a statement so open to interpretation. He would've just said "Doom Slayer is not coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - not now, not ever" much like what Frank O'Connor did and be done with it, none of this mincing together of specific terminologies and technicalities which fall short of a hardline deliberation. No honest person goes through that much effort to simply say "No".[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Of course not. I just reason that such a meeting probably wouldn't rank high on Marty's priorities, especially given how, at that point in time, Doom Eternal was deep into its development cycle. Thus, it'd be perfectly reasonable for such decisions to be handled by the individuals whose express job is to discuss and make these deals while Stratton dedicates himself fully to Doom Eternal. Also, negotiations != resource sharing, as the former has to reach an agreement in order for the latter to occur. And what if Bethesda themselves wanted to put forth their own character for Smash? Would Stratton have a say in such matters when it comes to the likes of Shouty McViking and Corporate Stoogeboy?

Everyone always forgets that the thing that kickstarted discussions about the Doom Slayer in Smash Bros was a meeting between Bethesda and Nintendo. Notice how Id Software themselves had scant to nil input in this meeting, and that the primary attendee on Bethesda's behalf (and the one that outright confirmed that Smash constituted a degree of the discussion) was Pete Hines. See how it lines up with what I've been trying to say?
So you keep saying that Pete Hinnes/Bethesda are the ones making the decisions (which is a fair assumption) but keep missing the point that Stratton would be in a position to know about any such development. And if the smash "talks" didn't follow through where he didn't need to be concerned with (which i presume happened based on what he said), then DOOM isn't in smash. It's the simplest way to interpret what he said.
This isn't a case where another Bethesda IP is in smash and Marty said no. It's the one franchise that he's directly concerned with, how is he not in a position to know?

Also i just want to clarify that there were no indication that the talks went any deeper (if you look at the "oh yea" blurb and the more recent comments it seemed to be nothing more than requests that didn't go anywhere)

I'm going to assume you meant Bethesda when you mentioned Id Software keeping Stratton in the dark (which is a nonsensical deliberation which I never intended to make). Why would Stratton necessarily need to have been informed about such a decision if it wasn't going to be followed through? At most, he'd hear about it in a meeting with some Beth execs, the notion would be laughed off and they'd move onto more pressing matters (like Doom Eternal's development). No need to incur an additional level of stress until they're absolutely sure that they're working with Nintendo.

And given how Nintendo was the one who picked out the DLC characters for both fighter passes, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that this scenario likely was a reality (especially given how much he dedicates himself to the series).
So you're saying that Stratton is
1. completely kept unaware of smash talks (he doesn't need to be included, just have some idea)
2. the decision wasn't followed through when he said those comments (where the pass is already decided?)
3. He's a top level exec, if the devs at Rare knew about Banjo as well as design planning, then surely the lead developer would be in the position to know (just know where talks are headed. He doesn't need to be involved in the nitty-gritty, just know)

Also i'm going to have to see receipts on Sakurai being completely in the dark given how he's said Nintendo approaches him beforehand regarding potential characters.

If he were going for the straight deconfirmation, he wouldn't make a statement so open to interpretation. He would've just said "Doom Slayer is not coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - not now, not ever" much like what Frank O'Connor did and be done with it, none of this mincing together of specific terminologies and technicalities which fall short of a hardline deliberation. No honest person goes through that much effort to simply say "No".
And here's the quote, as clear as it can be (after sakurai said the pass has already been decided).

GC: Well, that’s how Solid Snake got in it. Would they discount it just because of the gore and violence though?

MS: I dunno. You would honestly have to ask them. We’ve never been approached and said, ‘Hey can Doomguy be in Smash Bros.?’ But we’re open-minded if they wanna ask. But we hear it all the time [from fans]. Who would say no? [laughs]

GC: But you did ask them?

MS: We’ve had… I don’t even know who talked to who, but we’ve bantered with them. We have a great relationship with them through bringing Doom 2016 to Switch and that kind of stuff. So we have great people over there but it’s one of those things where it’s like, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool?’ But it’s never gone anywhere serious, so we’ll see.
And before you jump to "he said i don't know", he explicitly clarifies later by saying that they've never gone further with talks.
Focusing on separate bits of information doesn't work when the entire thing states that he doesn't know because they've asked Nintendo about it before, and have never gotten a serious response back,

Is he never coming? Definitely impossible to say. Is he coming in this pass, based on what we've seen? Unlikely.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, after not being on this thread and seeing people saying that Bethesda it's the one that could be calling the shots as I was saying instead of ID Software like a couple of people said before so adamantly.

Woof. I don't want to say: "I told you so" but, woof.

I mean. It's like saying that Rare would be the one contacted for :ultbanjokazooie: but was instead Microsoft as it shows on the copyright info of the title screen.

The turns of life~

:bowser:.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
So, after not being on this thread and seeing people saying that Bethesda it's the one that could be calling the shots as I was saying instead of ID Software like a couple of people said before so adamantly.

Woof. I don't want to say: "I told you so" but, woof.

I mean. It's like saying that Rare would be the one contacted for :ultbanjokazooie: but was instead Microsoft as it shows on the copyright info of the title screen.

The turns of life~

Well it depends on what you mean by "calling the shots". In terms of actually getting Doomguy in Smash it'd most likely be down to Zenimax/Bethesda, but in terms of who Nintendo/Sakurai would contact back and forth with on Doomguy's design and moveset, then that would most likely be id Software. As for what copyright would appear in Smash? I honestly couldn't tell you, it'd probably be Zenimax but I can just as easily see them using id Software. We unfortunately just don't know anything right now so we'll have to wait and see.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, I'm in a bit of a recent rut in terms of a Final Smash for Doom Slayer: should it be the BFG or the Unmaykr?

On the one hand, the BFG is absolutely iconic, having appeared in every Doom game since its debut. It's powerful, it's unique, and practically anyone who hasn't played Doom will remember it the first time they see it. I will admit, it would be a travesty to not include it in some form. On the other hand, though, the Unmaker (Unmaykr) is arguably even more powerful than the BFG, has (technically) been brought back for Doom Eternal, and its game of origin, Doom 64, is even coming back in about 2 weeks, so having both Modern and Classic appearances wouldn't be a problem!

Which should it be?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You know, I'm in a bit of a recent rut in terms of a Final Smash for Doom Slayer: should it be the BFG or the Unmaykr?

On the one hand, the BFG is absolutely iconic, having appeared in every Doom game since its debut. It's powerful, it's unique, and practically anyone who hasn't played Doom will remember it the first time they see it. I will admit, it would be a travesty to not include it in some form. On the other hand, though, the Unmaker (Unmaykr) is arguably even more powerful than the BFG, has (technically) been brought back for Doom Eternal, and its game of origin, Doom 64, is even coming back in about 2 weeks, so having both Modern and Classic appearances wouldn't be a problem!

Which should it be?
The BFG, for all of the reasons that you said.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

Which should it be?
Same as what Megadoomer said, though I wouldn't mind seeing the Unmakyr as a unique stage item.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well it depends on what you mean by "calling the shots". In terms of actually getting Doomguy in Smash it'd most likely be down to Zenimax/Bethesda, but in terms of who Nintendo/Sakurai would contact back and forth with on Doomguy's design and moveset, then that would most likely be id Software. As for what copyright would appear in Smash? I honestly couldn't tell you, it'd probably be Zenimax but I can just as easily see them using id Software. We unfortunately just don't know anything right now so we'll have to wait and see.
Exactly. That's what I meant. The actual creators and who should be the owners are ID, of course. But the owners of the property as of right now is Bethesda/Zenismax. It should be Bethesda.

What I meant is while ID are the creators and who hold our Hellish Boy, Bethesda are the ones that "present/share" the source, like Microsoft does with :ultbanjokazooie:.

We could get what I said OR we could get a :ultjoker: situation, that while Sega is the distributor, Atlus is the creator and the one that decides things. And shows up on the title screen for that matter.

It's up in the air, but I feel that Doomguy/Doom Slayer is closer to a Banjo than Joker's situation in terms of "ownership".

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Doom games' sales on the Switch lately have still been nothing to sneeze at, though the discounts they've had at times has helped. Just seeing it in top weekly sales among those other usual games is surreal though.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And lol, Doom 3, the black sheep of the series being #1 no less.

edit: Lookie what I found as a recommended stage online.

618BCD09-0659-4113-B582-2B8730DF6C03.jpeg

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Man, I'm really hoping that interview isn't a hard deconfirm.
There isn't a shooter rep that comes close to being as deserving (except maybe chief) or fitting as Doomguy/Doom Slayer. His legacy among shooters is legendary, and his legacy with Nintendo is nothing to be sneezed at. His native ability to double jump, extreme speed, and focus on up-close-and-personal and run'n'gun combat make him a better fit for a fighting game than someone like Gordon Freeman or Marcus.

From the moment someone said 'hey, what if Doomguy was in Smash' to me before E3 2018, I've been in love with the idea, and eager to see the Slayer get added.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
First of all, the interview wasn't even done with Bethesda's president, so I honestly don't know if the guy who got interviewed is privy to being told the truth unless it's serious NDA-breaking.

Also, we've yet to know if the Cacodemon Mii hat is fake. I've never seen such an ambiguous leak last this long.

It's not over until the demons sing.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
First of all, the interview wasn't even done with Bethesda's president, so I honestly don't know if the guy who got interviewed is privy to being told the truth unless it's serious NDA-breaking.

Also, we've yet to know if the Cacodemon Mii hat is fake. I've never seen such an ambiguous leak last this long.

It's not over until the demons sing.
We got Altair and Cuphead costumes out of nowhere... even if that leak is true, it doesn't confirm anything else.

Top Bottom