• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Hey decided to post here again because I am bored and the wait for a direct is tiring. Animal Crossing coming soon is exciting but still. With Smash DLC, I'm just waiting who will come first and adjust my hype from there. Although even that is not the best idea because I was so happy when Banjo got in, got cautious but felt alright with Terry, and then Byleth ****ing killed that happiness and dropped it down a meat grinder. Doom Guy is in a pretty bad position so my hopes for him have died down but it's not gone. Even if Master Chief got in over him, it would still be really cool even if I'm not a Halo guy. (I also ironically really want a TF2 character but even I know that is a massive pipe dream).

At least my other wants like Crash, Rayman, Geno, and Waluigi have a good chance so far but they are also not my #1 pick.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I love Master Chief and definitely think he deserves to be in the game as well, but it would be odd IMO for him to make it in before Doom Guy considering Doom's history with Nintendo.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Considering we got 3 Jrpg dudes in season 1, I think it would be fair to get 3 fps characters in season 2. Not gonna happen, but the genre has more than enough unique and iconic characters to take from including Chief and Doomguy.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
On a funny note, I found this while browsing Silvagunner:
Come to think of it, playing the actual Sweet Little Dead Bunny OST at the start Doom Slayer's own trailer for a bit would actually throw off a lot of people. We see the more cute Smash characters (Kirby, Pikachu and the like) frolicking in the countryside playing with Sweet Little Dead Bunny in the background for a bit before suddenly, everything turns dark and they are confronted by demons. Then Doom Slayer comes in and the trailer really begins!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Also depends on what difficulty you're playing it on I guess. Vanilla Doom 3 is up there with Doom II in how it drags on with the sheer number of levels, while the expansion episodes are the standard 8 to 12 levels in comparison.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I came across this video regarding Doom's Glory Kills. I dunno what anyone's opinion is on Polygon, but I'll share it anyway. I feel like it's an interesting watch.

With that in mind, if Doom Slayer did manage to get Glory Kills as a gimmick, the Glory Kill would have to fit the victim, like feeding the fat Mancubus its own heart or pulling the ol' "Stop Hitting Yourself" on the Arachnotron. Sonic, for example, is fast, energetic. Ideally, Glory Killing Sonic would be one that could either play along with that energy or against it.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Um wow, this is some pretty cool news right here:

Ok, so there are two big things to unpack here:

Switch Exclusive content:

Given that Eternal on Switch will experience a delayed release, I can see this extra level as compenstation for that fact. While I'm typically against platform-exclusive content, I'm positive someone will be able to quickly rip the WAD file when given the chance and post it up for everyone (at least on PC) to play using their favourite source port.

"If you can make your way back and take revenge, you’ll be rewarded with a bit of lore that fans of both series, new and classic, should enjoy.”

I don't know about you guys, but this just outright screams a lore connection with Doom 2016 and the Slayer's testaments (or at least the last one where they drop a temple on him to bring him out of commission until Samuel Hayden and the gang roll up).

DoomJerk

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoomJerk
Switch FC
SW-7821-3739-0301
Ok, so there are two big things to unpack here:

Switch Exclusive content:

Given that Eternal on Switch will experience a delayed release, I can see this extra level as compenstation for that fact. While I'm typically against platform-exclusive content, I'm positive someone will be able to quickly rip the WAD file when given the chance and post it up for everyone (at least on PC) to play using their favourite source port.

"If you can make your way back and take revenge, you’ll be rewarded with a bit of lore that fans of both series, new and classic, should enjoy.”

I don't know about you guys, but this just outright screams a lore connection with Doom 2016 and the Slayer's testaments (or at least the last one where they drop a temple on him to bring him out of commission until Samuel Hayden and the gang roll up).
I think the extra episode will be available for all platforms, unless I'm thoroughly mistaken. The interview the article cites doesn't mention anything about the Switch version in particular getting the episode.

at least i hope so, i already pre-ordered it on pc and being a die-hard doom fan i know i'd buy it again for an exclusive episode

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I think the extra episode will be available for all platforms, unless I'm thoroughly mistaken. The interview the article cites doesn't mention anything about the Switch version in particular getting the episode.

at least i hope so, i already pre-ordered it on pc and being a die-hard doom fan i know i'd buy it again for an exclusive episode
True, though keep in mind that the D64 port was originally supposed to be released as a Switch Exclusive prior to the delay, so I'd say the argument is still valid to a degree.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if that Doom 64 episode would have new stuff based off the cut stuff from early/planned versions of the game like new enemies that had models but weren't added or the Mayan themed level.
I hope the sister of the Mother Demon tries to look like something more than just some sprite edits, but i can see the difficulties with new sprites trying to fit the art style, so i'm expecting something like the Cycloid red recolor from Duke Nukem 3D World Tour edition.
It'd also suck if they made something console exclusive with Doom, considering the series' history with accessibility, modding, ports and open source code,
Doom "spreads" as if it was supposed to, which is why its fanbase is so associated with it.
Doom mods,wads and the overall source code/modding legacy are like the series' version of how other franchises (Including some in Smash), had many sequels and spin offs, so Doom feels like it was expanded by the fanbase.

I think the devs would definitely need contact in regards to a character getting in, since they're likely to understand a series better than the publisher.
I think ZeniMax originally put Mick Gordon in a deal where he wasn't supposed to use guitars or something to do with metal, when he was making Doom 2016's music,
I think Gmanlives' video of the BFG edition is missing some stuff, that the Doomwiki covered, but i think he also brought up stuff i don't recall the Wiki mentioning either.
Also, MetaDoom, what i still think is the best tribute to the series, had an update.
https://twitter.com/kinsie/status/1236996801674141696

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, who's deciding to play through Doom 1 and 2 a week before Doom 64 comes out for Switch? Because I've decided to do just that!

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So, who's deciding to play through Doom 1 and 2 a week before Doom 64 comes out for Switch? Because I've decided to do just that!
i think i'm going to start resuming Doom next week or sooner(if i beat sly cooper before the end of this week) before purchasing stuff for Doom 64 von switch.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've played through Doom recently, but I'm going to try playing through Doom 2.

Also, I got Doom 3 when it was on sale for $3, and I played a bit of it. My first impression is that it feels more like an Aliens game - that's somewhat understandable, since Doom was originally going to be an Aliens game before they found out that they couldn't get the license, but it doesn't really feel like Doom. Still, I like Aliens, so I'll give it a shot.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
that's somewhat understandable, since Doom was originally going to be an Aliens game before they found out that they couldn't get the license, but it doesn't really feel like Doom.
That's the first time I've heard of that, you sure that's correct? I thought Doom was mostly based off a DnD game they were playing.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I played through Doom 1 in one go tonight and got a third of the way through Doom II right now, and every time I play through this game I realize how bad it falls apart when you actually get to the cities and "Hell on Earth" aspect of the game. And it's all down hill from there, lord give me strength.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Somebody managed to stream some unreleased footage of Doom Eternal on twitch and it won't be long before other leaks will be going around, now's a good time to be wary if you don't want spoilers.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Going to try and finish off Plutonia, took a break from it after I accidentally quick saved on top of a pistol start respawn. Got at least past the Archvile mazz last time.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
How does Id Software feel about leaks, anyway? Do they cover them up, or not do a thing? Just curious.
It's really Bethesda/ZeniMax's department and they make at least a modest effort to shut them down. When it comes to id Software they've shown a lot of things that could be considered spoilers in their own previews so I doubt the devs feel that strongly about it.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Doom Eternal launch trailer came out, guys.

I knew we were getting back the Icon of Sin in some form in Eternal, but goddamn does he look cool! I wonder how we'll fight him?!

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Doom Eternal launch trailer came out, guys.

I knew we were getting back the Icon of Sin in some form in Eternal, but goddamn does he look cool! I wonder how we'll fight him?!
More than likely a multi-stage boss involving the Meathook and Monkey bars to dodge his attacks by jumping from building to building.

And if people doubted the Slayer's deservedness for a spot on the Smash Roster before, I'm positive that this trailer would've quelled the doubts of all but the most blindly staunch few.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not just one, but two Icon of Sin!

IMG_20200312_090532.jpg

IMG_20200312_091415.png

The gladiator type demon that appears to be like a Baron of Hell kind of breed looks cool too, but the Icon of Sin as a giant boss... This I like to think was the original vision for it, only that technical limitations at the time of Doom II gave us the terribly designed fight we got with the moving platform.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Not just one, but two Icon of Sin!

View attachment 265561

View attachment 265562

The gladiator type demon that appears to be like a Baron of Hell kind of breed looks cool too, but the Icon of Sin as a giant boss... This I like to think was the original vision for it, only that technical limitations at the time of Doom II gave us the terribly designed fight we got with the moving platform.
Sure that isn't just the same IoS at two different points of time during the level?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Good point. Guess we’ll have to find out.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, when I look at the Icon of Sin, the more I think...

...the boss fight with the Icon of Sin would be a cross between the N.I.L.S. Statue from Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion, Hades from Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Zorah Magdaros from Monster Hunter World, with a hint of Shadow of the Colossus to boot.

EDIT: Also, "Steel-Barreled Swordsman of Vengeance" sounds like a killer Boxing Ring title for Slayer.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Man I just need to see how the Switch version will look and run. Everything looks so cool but it had to be delayed. Perfectly understandable but still...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Man I just need to see how the Switch version will look and run. Everything looks so cool but it had to be delayed. Perfectly understandable but still...
If we're getting a Nintendo Direct in two weeks like rumors are suggesting, then maybe that's the place to do it! With iD Software saying how good it looks on Switch, the suspense is killing me.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
hey doom bros, i wanted to bring up that i wanted to go buy a nintendo eshop card to expand my account's payment so i can have enough money for Atelier but also enough for a few games on my playlist, one of them being the doom series. iv'e already hinted i have the first and 2016 on switch and the bfg edition of the third on xbox but now i want the old version aswell as the second plus 64 on switch. but due to the whole virus problem i won't go out anytime soon to buy a card. so now i'm sadly gonna have to stick with one game on my current paycheck.

the games i have are Atelier & Logsy(too expansive), The First Three FNAF Games, Doom 2, Doom 3, and Doom 64. i want to buy 64 though it's not out yet. what do you fellas think?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Hah, what do ya know.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So I figured this is the best place to ask. What's the best Doom game to jump into the series for someone who doesn't play shooters?
I haven't played a shooter since Goldeneye. Yes, the N64 one.

Been getting interested in the idea of the Slayer in Smash and I'd like to get more familiar with the series.
Well, actually I just heard At Doom's Gate and it sounded like some grade A Power Rangers **** and now I kinda want him in for the music alone.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
9579DA9F-9CFA-4ED8-8DE5-272B2BF4CBD9.jpeg

After a closer look at the 2nd Icon of Sin posted earlier, this one appears to have armor.

And I would say the first Doom honestly @ James, with the Switch being an ideal platform to try it on.

Top Bottom