• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If he gets in, would he have his classic or modern design as a default?
It's hard to say really. From what we've seen from MegaMan, Pac-Man, Simon and Banjo & Kazooie, Sakurai prefers to use older designs over newer ones but from what we've seen from Doom Eternal, Doom Guy is so much more versatile and even captures the spirit of the older design.

But If I had to choose, probably the Eternal design.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Nah, never mind. Maybe later. When November 16 arrives. Too little to work with, haha.

(Wanted to say I am working on trying to debunk the Mii Hats, but it would be too unbelievable :( )

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I can already tell that "good boy" is gonna be the big meme with Doomguy and I 100% back that statement.

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
I’d personally prefer the classic Doom 1 design as the default as it fits with the general motif of using designs from more classic appearances and since I think it would fit extra well with the rest of the Smash Bros. cast. It would also be really cool to see an official updated model of his original appearance in action. Of course, I’d be just fine with the Eternal design too, as it brings the classic design and more modern praetor suit together well. I just think the classic design gives off a more “legacy” feeling, ya know? (I also think it’s kinda cute despite him being a tough space marine demon slayer) :awesome:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I think we all can agree that Doom Slayer would combine the swift, high-damage blows of a rushdown with the strategic, diverse projectile play of a zoner, the latter of which would obviously be contributed to by his arsenal. However he switches between weapons is up in the air, but I think I know how they can function:

Pistol: A low-damage weapon and the starting gun of all Doom games. This shares the same hitbox properties and range of Joker's Gun and Bayonetta's Bullet Arts, and can fire three times per second.
Shotgun: What it lacks in range as opposed to his other guns, it makes up for in raw kill potential, with the sweet spot being at the tip of the barrel. However, the damage it deals scales with how far the opponent is from the attack, and there's a good chunk of space in between shots.
Heavy Cannon: A large red gun formerly called the Heavy Assault Rifle, the Heavy Cannon fires projectiles similar to Bayonetta's Neutral B at 8 rounds a second. It deals some decent damage for each individual shot, and the projectiles are quick in addition.
Chaingun: A rotary cannon capable of racking up damage fast, and fires 9 shots a second. However, unlike the Heavy Cannon, this shares the same hitbox properties as the Pistol, giving it extremely low kill potential.
Plasma Gun: A weapon with the fastest fire rate in the entire kit, the Plasma Gun fires blue energy balls at 20 rounds a second. This has the interesting property of dealing knockback for every 20th shot that hits, and it has some long endlag for it to cool down. If you try to spray a Hero with Bounce with Plasma Gun shots, then you're gonna be in for some trouble.
Ballista: A giant energy crossbow that appears in Doom Eternal, the Ballista is a precision weapon that requires the average Doom Slayer player to fire at the right trajectory at the right time to score a KO. With immense range and kill potential, this is basically the longer range version of the shotgun, but the shots are as narrow as the Vampire Killer whip, so people who like fighting up close are better off using the Shotgun instead. The Ballista cannot be reflected, as they are a super long hitbox that would make Piranha Plant's Long-Stem Strike look like a toothpick in comparison. Also, the fact that your opponent can see you carrying a giant green crossbow in your arms doesn't do you any wonders.
Rocket Launcher: A giant cannon that fires rockets with more power than Snake's Nikita. The Rocket Launcher fires 2 shots a second, and each rocket explodes, dealing immense damage to everyone caught in the blast, after traveling a good distance. However, the rockets are slower than normal, making them easy to react to.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
There was a problem fetching the tweet

This might be something in favor of the leak.
This also adds more credibility as well. Some other things that I think are in favor that were probably discussed by someone else earlier:
  • The timer is stuck at 02:30:00 throughout the videos
  • The Cacodemon helmet looks like a perfect model that is based on the classic Doom games, albeit with some censorship
  • Speaking of, the models can't be found anywhere on the internet
  • The fact that Mallow's hat can jiggle
  • The problems with creating custom Mii costumes due to file sizes and complex coding
  • The sheer fact that there's video in the first place
  • There really hasn't been any successful attempt of proving the leak is fake, despite the amount of arguments against it
This is still going to be debated for at least a month. I'm still on #TeamReal. I think Doomguy is #5, especially when you consider that we might get a character reveal at The Game Awards, which is the best time to reveal someone like Doomguy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Or, in true Sabi fashion, it could be almost anything else.
Yeah, like a new Crash or Spyro game!

Really though, she oughta label her Twitter account as "The General Gamer Girl" so that people stop calling her the "Smash Bros. Girl". In any case, I don't think she's heard of anything from VRPlant...yet.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This might be something in favor of the leak.
If this is real, not even the Geno fans are going to believe it when people like Verge leak the announcement(s).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, like a new Crash or Spyro game!

Really though, she oughta label her Twitter account as "The General Gamer Girl" so that people stop calling her the "Smash Bros. Girl". In any case, I don't think she's heard of anything from VRPlant...yet.
In part because calling her the Smash Bros. Girl makes her seems like someone who's actually leaked Smash Bros info.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In part because calling her the Smash Bros. Girl makes her seems like someone who's actually leaked Smash Bros info.
Yeah, and that's something to avoid given that she got C&Ded even just for saying "Animal Crossing: New Horizons", which is why she labels everything as rumors nowadays.

That said, I came across this fun fan art:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On top of stage ideas.

What about trailer reveal ideas. The most popular one I know of is an continuation to:ultridley:reveal but any other ideal trailer reveals?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Since Terry got music from other SNK series, how would you guys like it if Doomguy git music from other ID games like Wolfenstein and Quake? Id love a remix of the main Quake theme!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Since Terry got music from other SNK series, how would you guys like it if Doomguy git music from other ID games like Wolfenstein and Quake? Id love a remix of the main Quake theme!
I would love a Commander Keen spirit or something. (not the mobile game thing, of course)

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Stage? I always thought a Hell stage would be the most visually unique idea, but a Mars/UAC one could also work. Or make it a stage that changes scenes so it's both.
Trailer? I like the idea of either a fake out trailer looking like Eternal gameplay. Would be one of those nice surprise ones.
Music? Hey I mean if Bethesda's willing. Although it's mostly my bad memory but, do the other Id games have many bangers in them?

D

Deleted member

Stage? I always thought a Hell stage would be the most visually unique idea, but a Mars/UAC one could also work. Or make it a stage that changes scenes so it's both.
Trailer? I like the idea of either a fake out trailer looking like Eternal gameplay. Would be one of those nice surprise ones.
I think his stage would be Hell or Mars/UAC from 2016. Of course, a lot of the stage will have to be censored... as in no blood or satanic imagery, but I think that's going to be easy to get rid of.
As for the trailer, I had the same idea. Though I was thinking we get Doom Eternal gameplay and then the screen fades to black, more seems to be playing, but it's actually Doom Slayer in the same lab that Samus went to and now he has to fight Ridley. Cue the splash screen "Doom Slayer Enters the Gate!" or "Doom Slayer Rips and Tears Through!"

I was also thinking... what would the mural look like? I was thinking behind the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon and Incineroar in his classic pose from the Doom cover art. If you need to give him a partner... then you could make it a Cacodemon... or the BFG. :p

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Music? Hey I mean if Bethesda's willing. Although it's mostly my bad memory but, do the other Id games have many bangers in them?
If it were me, I’d say Tower of Babel as the stage for Smash. It’s one of the most iconic stages in the series, one where you fight the Cyberdemon in the original Doom. And it just looks like something you’d see in Smash.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
You guys have any stage ideas for him? I was thinking something from the original DOOM game
Definitely a shifting background stage, one which transitions between Mars, Heaven, Hell, Earth, Phobos and the Sentinel Homeworld. Perhaps if a player chooses a Doomguy alt, the stage background changes to that of several iconic Doom/Doom 2 levels.
On top of stage ideas.

What about trailer reveal ideas. The most popular one I know of is an continuation to:ultridley:reveal but any other ideal trailer reveals?
If it were a continuation of the :ultridley:trailer, I'd love for it to go in either one of two directions:
  1. Have a mirrored scenario, where :ultbowser:, :ultganondorf: and :ultdarksamus: take the place of the three heroes, with the Doom Slayer taking the first two out before striking down on the final one with the reveal.
  2. A direct continuation, where :ultridley: is bearing down on :ultzss: , only to receive a face-full of meathook before getting pulverized by the Slayer offscreen. Cue reveal
I'd definitely throw in a Wolfenstein Medley, Descent into Cerberon, Quad Machine and a Quake 1 Medley if possible.
Though my dream non-Doom tracks would be:
and most definitely

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
With everything going on, I thought it was time to spruce up my avatar and signature.

I am also, strongly considering picking up DOOM 2016 when I can.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With everything going on, I thought it was time to spruce up my avatar and signature.

I'd strongly recommend it - I don't usually get into first person shooters (the main exceptions being Team Fortress 2, the Portal series, Overwatch, and the Metroid Prime series), and I had a blast with that game.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
At the very least, I hope for Herr Faust;

and the Quake 1 theme;

Not just because these tracks are awesome and iconic, mind you, but it would be an excuse for Smash to have music by Fredrik Thordendal (Meshuggah) and Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails), respectively.

Last edited:

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Since we're talking about music, I made a list of 20 songs that are my top choices for Smash tracks. Which ones would be your choices? And what would get remixes?
  1. Doom - E1M1 - At Doom's Gate
  2. Doom - E1M4 - Kitchen Ace (And Taking Names)
  3. Doom - E2M1 - I Sawed the Demons
  4. Doom - E2M3 - Intermission from Doom
  5. Doom - E3M1 - Untitled (Hell's Keep)
  6. Doom - E3M8 - Facing the Spider
  7. Doom II - Shawn's Got the Shotgun
  8. Doom II - Into Sandy's City
  9. Doom II - Bye Bye American Pie
  10. Doom 3 - Main Theme
  11. Doom (2016) - Rip & Tear
  12. Doom (2016) - BFG Division
  13. Doom (2016) - Rust, Dust, and Guts
  14. Doom (2016) - Flesh & Metal
  15. Doom (2016) - Transistor Fist
  16. Doom (2016) - Cyberdemon
  17. Doom (2016) - Damnation
  18. Doom (2016) - SkullHacker
  19. Doom (2016) - VEGA Core
  20. Doom (2016) - Mastermind

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039

Go for it, dude. It is highly enjoyable. It is a game for fans of the series, FPS' and overall awesome/action games.

It is so replayable it's insane.

Only problem is that "multiplayer" it's dead on it. (No wonder since the he it's both three years old and with Eternal coming out, there isn't much attention there. Also, not that many folks have the game Switch that are still playing it religiously)

Single player is where it's at with the game, honestly.

:bowser:.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Since we're talking about music, I made a list of 20 songs that are my top choices for Smash tracks. Which ones would be your choices? And what would get remixes?
  10. Doom 3 - Main Theme
Nobody Told Me About Id would be a great track to have in too. Have it play during his classic mode boss fight.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

10. Doom 3 - Main Theme
I like that list! I'd add E1M8, E2M8 and E3M3, personally. I'd also throw in a track from Doom 64 or two, like this one:

I'm really glad Doom 64 is out of Midway's copyright hell, it deserves all the attention it can get.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Nobody Told Me About Id would be a great track to have in too. Have it play during his classic mode boss fight.
Given how the original is fairly... slow-paced for Smash, I'd imagine they'd take a few pointers from Nobody Told Me About Plutonia by giving it a faster tempo:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
This also adds more credibility as well. Some other things that I think are in favor that were probably discussed by someone else earlier:
  • The timer is stuck at 02:30:00 throughout the videos
  • The Cacodemon helmet looks like a perfect model that is based on the classic Doom games, albeit with some censorship
  • Speaking of, the models can't be found anywhere on the internet
  • The fact that Mallow's hat can jiggle
  • The problems with creating custom Mii costumes due to file sizes and complex coding
  • The sheer fact that there's video in the first place
  • There really hasn't been any successful attempt of proving the leak is fake, despite the amount of arguments against it
This is still going to be debated for at least a month. I'm still on #TeamReal. I think Doomguy is #5, especially when you consider that we might get a character reveal at The Game Awards, which is the best time to reveal someone like Doomguy.
And don't forget the other non-leak related evidence:
Copied from a DM I sent:

Doom Slayer has had a lot going for him besides the leak.
1. Bethesda has been butt buddies with Nintendo since the Switch launch.
2. Every DOOM game has been ported to Switch.
3. It is publicly known that Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash Bros.
4. Reggie said that Nintendo has never been denied a character for Smash.
5. Doom Slayer is both a modern and legacy character. Though Master Chief is probably the most popular FPS character, Doom Slayer is the one that popularized the genre.
6. During one Sakurai interview, he mentioned game developers born in 1970, and the international one he named dropped was John Carmack, whom he referred to as "the father of FPS's".
7. Doom Slayer has been rumored A LOT, and often, when a rumor persists, there's something to it.
8. The leak.

So though I'm not saying it's guaranteed, I give Doom Slayer the same odds I gave Erdrick back when he was omnipresent in leaks, 90%.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Have this video that was posted in the newcomer DLC Speculation Thread.
I posted this in the Newcomer Speculation thread! Do not let this man steal my likes! I found it first! Give the likes to meeeeeeeeeeEEEeEeEeeEeeEEeeEeeEEE!

volbound1700

Smash Master
What are they complaining about?
I said that I have been aying video games for years and I had never heard of Terry until Smssh announcement and that he was obscure. Even Sakurai said that in the direct. I also stated that there could have been other options considered that would have been more popular picks.

Top Bottom