• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

tactical_meme

Smash Rookie
I know there was already a discussion about this earlier in the thread but people seem to be talking about it again, so I guess I'll ask the question.

How do you guys think Doomguy's trailer should go? Personally, I think it should have something to do with him saving Luigi from Hell or something like that, since he straight-up died in an earlier trailer. Seeing him fight alongside (or against) Samus or Snake would be pretty cool too imo.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I know there was already a discussion about this earlier in the thread but people seem to be talking about it again, so I guess I'll ask the question.

How do you guys think Doomguy's trailer should go? Personally, I think it should have something to do with him saving Luigi from Hell or something like that, since he straight-up died in an earlier trailer. Seeing him fight alongside (or against) Samus or Snake would be pretty cool too imo.
I assume he would be fighting the monster character like Bowser, K. Rool, and Ridley, implying that they are the demons.
Beyond that, I'm stumped. Probably going to be Doom Slayer saving Samus in some way.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

• Saves Pit from the underworld army in the underworld.
• Saves Luigi from Hell.
• Follows Ridley’s trailer.
• Terry style retro gameplay trailer where DG finds hidden room which leads to Smash.
• False Metroid Prime 4 tease where Samus accidentally enters a Doom area, and heavy metal music starts to play.

Just the ones that occur to me or I’ve heard somewhere else but I like.

-
1) A mechanic I would like to have is rapidfire+strafing by holding the button that shoots the weapon.
So if you tap, you can shoot, turn around, and shoot the other way. But if you hold, the gun fires automatically while you hold it, and also fixes your direction (like Ryu/Ken in 1on1 fights).

2) Recovery. Would love if it was teleport. Because of those invisible, trip-wire teleporters.

3) Wouldn’t mind jab being a single powerful punch like Ganondorf.

4) I want an exploding barrel to be part of the moveset.

5) Not sure how chainsaw could be implemented but definitely a smash attack. Maybe the wrist blade from Eternal could be another smash attack.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
• Saves Pit from the underworld army in the underworld.
• Saves Luigi from Hell.
• Follows Ridley’s trailer.
• Terry style retro gameplay trailer where DG finds hidden room which leads to Smash.
• False Metroid Prime 4 tease where Samus accidentally enters a Doom area, and heavy metal music starts to play.

Just the ones that occur to me or I’ve heard somewhere else but I like.

-
1) A mechanic I would like to have is rapidfire+strafing by holding the button that shoots the weapon.
So if you tap, you can shoot, turn around, and shoot the other way. But if you hold, the gun fires automatically while you hold it, and also fixes your direction (like Ryu/Ken in 1on1 fights).

2) Recovery. Would love if it was teleport. Because of those invisible, trip-wire teleporters.

3) Wouldn’t mind jab being a single powerful punch like Ganondorf.

4) I want an exploding barrel to be part of the moveset.

5) Not sure how chainsaw could be implemented but definitely a smash attack. Maybe the wrist blade from Eternal could be another smash attack.
Grabs over 100% are Glory Kills.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I like the trailer idea where it’s Ridley’s trailer except Bowser, Ganon, and Ridley are on the bridge being hunted by Doom Slayer. There could even be parallel to the original trailer where Ridley’s reflection is seen on Doom Slayer’s visor and he’s in visible fear. Kinda fits the whole thing about him being a demon’s worst nightmare.

I fully expect Ridley to show up in his trailer, maybe Bayonetta too since she deals with demons.

Other ideas include starting out with the first person narrative before changing the camera to third person and showing Doom Slayer. A VGA trailer where there’s no smash intro, just Doom Slayer walking around in first person perspective till he sees something smash related, like a smash ball rune or something, then camera pans to third person and splashes title card as the auidence loses their ****.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Grabs over 100% are Glory Kills.
That will never not be busted. Grabs are way too easy to land, and 100% is a common amount of damage to get to for most characters. If you wanna keep it as an insta-kill, I'd say you'd have to bump up the damage to at least 150%.

That would make the situation in which it can occur a little less prevalent (which it should be for an insta-kill that simply requires connecting a grab).

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
That will never not be busted. Grabs are way too easy to land, and 100% is a common amount of damage to get to for most characters. If you wanna keep it as an insta-kill, I'd say you'd have to bump up the damage to at least 150%.

That would make the situation in which it can occur a little less prevalent (which it should be for an insta-kill that simply requires connecting a grab).
Thwack.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Right, a move that might show up, requires input past a single button tap, likely won't recur right after appearing, and scales to damage while utilizing RNG, meaning it still isn't a guaranteed KO at high %. That's the same as landing a grab.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Right, a move that might show up, requires input past a single button tap, likely won't recur right after appearing, and scales to damage while utilizing RNG, meaning it still isn't a guaranteed KO at high %. That's the same as landing a grab.
Dude... Well, girl. I can list like 100 moves that kill at 100%.
Even Ness effectively kills near 100% with a grab.
Doom Slayer strikes me as a character more close in base stats to Bowser.
He could easily have effectively the best "throw" kill.
It could even scale like ice effects where Bowser might get killed at 120, and Pichu gets killed at 85.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dude... Well, girl. I can list like 100 moves that kill at 100%.
Even Ness effectively kills near 100% with a grab.
Doom Slayer strikes me as a character more close in base stats to Bowser.
He could easily have effectively the best "throw" kill.
It could even scale like ice effects where Bowser might get killed at 120, and Pichu gets killed at 85.
And how many of those moves work in as few frames as a grab while going through shields? And can be executed in high succession?

Even throws that kill around 100% are contingent on direction, which means positioning is important. Unless you're dealing with a very light character, perhaps. It's one thing to back throw someone near the ledge on FD with Ness, it's another to grab them in the middle of Temple (or anywhere on any stage) and still get that KO.

You could implement scaling, but I still think you'd have to bump up the average cap for the glory kill to trigger.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
And how many of those moves work in as few frames as a grab while going through shields? And can be executed in high succession?

Even throws that kill around 100% are contingent on direction, which means positioning is important. Unless you're dealing with a very light character, perhaps. It's one thing to back throw someone near the ledge on FD with Ness, it's another to grab them in the middle of Temple (or anywhere on any stage) and still get that KO.

You could implement scaling, but I still think you'd have to bump up the average cap for the glory kill to trigger.
Well, as far as Temple goes, I don't think many people worry about the balance on that stage.
Either way, at 150%, you can die from just about anything, and Glory Kills should be one of Doom Slayer's primary kill options.
Maybe a time limit could work, as in if Mario hits 100%, he glows orange and Doom Slayer has 10 or 15 seconds to land a grab and get an insta-kill

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I both love and hate the idea of a fake Metroid Prime 4 tease for his trailer.

Love because seeing Samus encounter straight up hell demons in a CG trailer as a bait and switch with Doomguy showing up alongside her would be quite the sight.

Hate because I'm practically STARVING for actual MP4 info...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I both love and hate the idea of a fake Metroid Prime 4 tease for his trailer.

Love because seeing Samus encounter straight up hell demons in a CG trailer as a bait and switch with Doomguy showing up alongside her would be quite the sight.

Hate because I'm practically STARVING for actual MP4 info...
Only if it's followed by a real Metroid Prime 4 trailer.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, stream is about to go online in 2 and a half hours.

I'll probably be hanging out in the Voice Chat of the Papagenos server, so if you want to join in on the chat, hit me up there.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Basically we need to hope that if the costume leak is real, the Cadocdemon hat doesn’t show up in the mii costume segment.
And then the next thing we’d need to hope for is that the Bethesda character is Doomguy and not Dragonborn coming with Doom costumes.
Here’s to a positive outlook for us!

D

Deleted member

I will admit that I am a bit shaky. I will miss the presentation, but I will see what happens on social media.
Hopefully Doom Slayer will survive today.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If we can survive a Doom (Slayer/marine/guy) Mii costume, I think we’re safe and we live to see the VGAs. I don’t think Cacodemon Hat alone is enough Doom representation.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
And like that, if this mii leak is indeed real then fighter 5 is from Bethesda. Let’s hope it’s Doomslayer.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so none of the leaked costumes were there, VERY INTERESTING.
This could mean two things:
1. The leak was fake
2. They are saving them for a later date.

Untouch

Smash Master
Ok, so none of the leaked costumes were there, VERY INTERESTING.
This could mean two things:
1. The leak was fake
2. They are saving them for a later date.
The presentation today was recorded a month ago, so (if real) the mii costume leak would have been even further back than that if they were still testing stuff to be showcased. It's very likely that (if real) it'll be in a future showcase.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
So, aside from the fact that the Caco and Mallow hats didn't get deconfirmed, we can basically sum up this live stream with the following:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh yea doom slayer is definatly number 5 since cacodemon costume wasn’t shown (if real anyway)

I think it’s gonna be shown off with doom slayer

If Mallow shown but not geno hold on to your hats

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I’m glad we were able to get through the Mii costume montage today.

Doom Guy isn’t some generic character, he is “The Guy that Revolutionized FPS Games!”

There wasn’t a reveal today, but there is still a good chance of a VGA reveal happening some time soon where the Doom Marine will surely get announced!

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
I’m glad we were able to get through the Mii costume montage today.

Doom Guy isn’t some generic character, he is “The Guy that Revolutionized FPS Games!”

There wasn’t a reveal today, but there is still a good chance of a VGA reveal happening some time soon where the Doom Marine will surely get announced!
Exactly. It wouldn't make any sense they relegate a piece of videogame history to a mere Mii Costume.

Unless Sakurai himself says the game is just too violent to get an entry in Smash (See Mai Shiranui's situation right now), then that would be it for our character. Including the risks of Doomguy being a Spirit, Assist Trophy or a Mii Costume.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Exactly. It wouldn't make any sense they relegate a piece of videogame history to a mere Mii Costume.

Unless Sakurai himself says the game is just too violent to get an entry in Smash (See Mai Shiranui's situation right now), then that would be it for our character. Including the risks of Doomguy being a Spirit, Assist Trophy or a Mii Costume.
I don't see Doomguy getting held back like Mai. Sexual themes are much more censored nowadays than violence and Mai had such themes all over her. Unlike Bayo, who is mostly covered up and can be manipulated in ways to make less sexual, Mai is extremely associated with looking scantly clad. Doesn't help that her design is iconic, so changing it to be more covered would probably seem like a disservice to an SNK lover like Sakurai. Doomguy can easily skirt around his more controversial elements no problem.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I guess one thing to keep in mind is Heihachi’s absence from the fighting game dump points to Namco maybe getting a character down the line. So that’s the competition for spot number 5.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Doomguy would be a perfect VGA reveal if they're going to do that again. If the January Amiibo timing thing is solid I wouldn't put it past them to reveal both fighter #5 and #6 (or whatever you want to call it) together. Of course they could always just reveal somebody later this month though it's a little strange not to have just done it now in that case.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I guess one thing to keep in mind is Heihachi’s absence from the fighting game dump points to Namco maybe getting a character down the line. So that’s the competition for spot number 5.
Not only that, Namco Bandai has so far gotten zero Mii Fighter costumes.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Double reveal? Ehhh... Doubtful since it'd probably take up a good chunk of time, and I don't think general audiences really care about Geno specifically, so it'd be wasted add time.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Double reveal? Ehhh... Doubtful since it'd probably take up a good chunk of time, and I don't think general audiences really care about Geno specifically, so it'd be wasted add time.
Couldn't it be argued that it would be another case of satisfying both crowds like Hero and Banjo did? I also doubt a double reveal at TGA, but I think it's worth noting.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Geno probably has enough requests from Smash fans, that I think he'd be fine with being at TGA's. As long as Doom Slayer is there as well. Kind of like how Hero and Banjo & Kazooie were paired up at E3. To note, it would just the two trailers. If they were shadow dropped, the video would be after TGA's are over.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The best chance of a double reveal is if we get an anniversary presentation on December that opens up with Doom Slayer and closes with Geno. But the issue is the only content going forward is characters and stages and I don’t think it’d be enough to justify a presentation, especially with no new fighter to showcase at the moment.

And this Namco costume absence is making me lean toward the mii costume leak potentially being fake and that fighter 5 is Lloyd, as much as that’d piss me off because it’d mean we got three JRPG characters in this pass. Really hoping for Doom Slayer because that would add some serious variety to an otherwise cartoony and anime pass.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The best chance of a double reveal is if we get an anniversary presentation on December that opens up with Doom Slayer and closes with Geno. But the issue is the only content going forward is characters and stages and I don’t think it’d be enough to justify a presentation, especially with no new fighter to showcase at the moment.

And this Namco costume absence is making me lean toward the mii costume leak potentially being fake and that fighter 5 is Lloyd, as much as that’d piss me off because it’d mean we got three JRPG characters in this pass. Really hoping for Doom Slayer because that would add some serious variety to an otherwise cartoony and anime pass.
I mean, the video didn't state that either Doomguy of Geno would be fighter 5. That is just an assumption.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

The way Sakurai talked about Bandai Namco in the Terry video lead's me to believe Bandai Namco isn't #5. Though I imagine Heihachi/Lloyd will come later probably.

Top Bottom