• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

volbound1700

Smash Master
Add me to support... I wasn't a fan due to Mature nature but I loved Doom 1 & 2 and played them as a kid.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Even tho I prefer Master Chief and Doomguy would kind of get into his way, I would still love him!
Support from my side
I definitely want both, and if they do it right, I don't really think they would get in each others way. Their similarities are pretty superficial and end pretty much at looks... (and maybe they'd both have a move with a rocket launcher...)

Now with the new look and features from Doom Eternal they'd stand even more apart. Doomguy could be all about getting close, the grappling SSG move being integral to this. By contrast, Master Chief could be better at keeping enemies at a distance, and would be somewhat more resilient, maybe with an energy shield gimmick, and a tad slower on the movement front at least.

While Doomguy would be trying to get in your face, Chief would be more about keeping some distance between him and you while doing as much damage as possible with his weapons, grenades, etc.

I'm no expert though, just spit-balling. The point I'm trying to make is, they would actually look, feel, and play quite diferently if they both made it in and were true to their respective games.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Seems I missed quite a bit recently with the Bethesda and Nintendo talk, so I guess Doomguy went from a pipedream to being cautiously optimistic for. Here’s to hoping...!

volbound1700

Smash Master
I definitely want both, and if they do it right, I don't really think they would get in each others way. Their similarities are pretty superficial and end pretty much at looks... (and maybe they'd both have a move with a rocket launcher...)

Now with the new look and features from Doom Eternal they'd stand even more apart. Doomguy could be all about getting close, the grappling SSG move being integral to this. By contrast, Master Chief could be better at keeping enemies at a distance, and would be somewhat more resilient, maybe with an energy shield gimmick, and a tad slower on the movement front at least.

While Doomguy would be trying to get in your face, Chief would be more about keeping some distance between him and you while doing as much damage as possible with his weapons, grenades, etc.

I'm no expert though, just spit-balling. The point I'm trying to make is, they would actually look, feel, and play quite diferently if they both made it in and were true to their respective games.
Masterchief will be an echo of Doomguy lol...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Apart from everything else already said, Eternal will have some interesting new enemies to say the least...

Also glad the rest of the monsters who first appeared in Doom II finally got a return. Pain Elemental, etc. Not to mention, I'm gonna love hating Arch-Vile again.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I drew what I feel Doom Slayer’s Smash art could look like, though to be honest, I’m not really proud of this one (Besides, details were a ***** to draw).
1537808381969.jpeg

Would it be too much to ask for this to be more refined? Also, I have no idea how to make this vertical.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
Apart from everything else already said, Eternal will have some interesting new enemies to say the least...

Also glad the rest of the monsters who first appeared in Doom II finally got a return. Pain Elemental, etc. Not to mention, I'm gonna love hating Arch-Vile again.
I'm a pleb who only ever played 2016, so one of the things I'm most excited for is seeing all the new demons in Eternal!

I hope they throw in some completely brand-new ones as well.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
Great video mate, subscribed! I dig a lot of your ideas, though I'd probably change the Neutral B to his Super Shotgun (potentially even the hook version of Eternal) since thats the Kirby copy and it should be as iconic as possible.

Btw do you have a copy of those skin mockups? They look amazing.

Last edited:

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Great video mate, subscribed! I dig a lot of your ideas, though I'd probably change the Neutral B to his Super Shotgun (potentially even the hook version of Eternal) since thats the Kirby copy and it should be as iconic as possible.
Thank you so much dude!! That's a great point, I kinda forgot about Kirby after my Sylux video. Honestly that raises a lot of questions for my movesets... Would Kirby need to recharge steam for Henry Fleming's special... wait, does Kirby need to refill on ink for Inkling's... and how would copying Master Hand even work, just Kirby with a giant glove on his head?

ANYWAY back on topic, if the Super Shotgun went to B then I'd probably change Down Smash into the same concept but with the Chaingun, and then Up Air to the Combat Shotgun or something.

Btw do you have a copy of those skin mockups? They look amazing.
I actually like these way less than my Sylux and Master Hand skins, but ask and you shall receive!

volbound1700

Smash Master
Don't kill me but the perfect character from Bethesda/ID Software would be Commander Keen. He fits Smash so well.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Don't kill me but the perfect character from Bethesda/ID Software would be Commander Keen. He fits Smash so well.
The perfect Bethesda character for Smash is Doom Slayer and YOU'LL NEVER CHANGE MY MIND!

NukeA6

Smash Master
Commander Keen is so long forgotten and dead that every attempt in revival has failed. He's better off left as a reminder to the success of id Software and 3D Realms. The Doom Guy has been in more Nintendo games too.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't know if i'm going to call myself a supporter, Doom guy seems too violent a character to put in a game with Isabel, but if Sakurai could work him into the game in a way that's true to the character and satisfying to his fans, I wouldn't complain. I feel like it's historically significant to warrant a place in Smash, considering the FPS genre used to be called "Doom Clones" ...And I hope Cacodemon is an assist that you can KO. I really want to KO a cacodemon with Kirby.

I'm actually a relatively new Doom fan, I bought an Everdrive 64 earlier this year, and I made Doom 64 the first Doom game I ever played, and I enjoyed it immensely. I consider myself a fan now, I bought the new Doom on the Switch, eagerly await Doom Eternal. I don't have a way to play the originals on my junker of a laptop, but I did find a homebrew port on the Wii. The downside is I can only turn quickly by using Motion Controls, but I can get over it.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if i'm going to call myself a supporter, Doom guy seems too violent a character to put in a game with Isabel, but if Sakurai could work him into the game in a way that's true to the character and satisfying to his fans, I wouldn't complain.
I see the violence argument a lot revolving around Doomguy/Doom Slayer's inclusion, but I really don't feel it'd be an issue in the end. His moves when boiled down are all either hand-to-hand melee-type stuff or gunfire, both of which are already done well in Smash (the Mii Fighter is my usual mental go-to for how bullets would look). Thing is, the main reason those things are perceived as super violent in Doom is because of the accompanying blood and gore from the enemies being killed. But obviously Doom Slayer wouldn't need to rip Diddy Kong's skull in half for him to be accurate. Without interacting with enemies whose every body part is made to be blown up or ripped off, Doom Slayer is definitely tame enough for Smash.

That wasn't specifically a comeback at you, btw, just wanted to use that as a talking point!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't know if i'm going to call myself a supporter, Doom guy seems too violent a character to put in a game with Isabel, but if Sakurai could work him into the game in a way that's true to the character and satisfying to his fans, I wouldn't complain. I feel like it's historically significant to warrant a place in Smash, considering the FPS genre used to be called "Doom Clones" ...And I hope Cacodemon is an assist that you can KO. I really want to KO a cacodemon with Kirby.

I'm actually a relatively new Doom fan, I bought an Everdrive 64 earlier this year, and I made Doom 64 the first Doom game I ever played, and I enjoyed it immensely. I consider myself a fan now, I bought the new Doom on the Switch, eagerly await Doom Eternal. I don't have a way to play the originals on my junker of a laptop, but I did find a homebrew port on the Wii. The downside is I can only turn quickly by using Motion Controls, but I can get over it.
Have...

have you ever seen Bayonetta's source game?

It's... really gruesome.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Have...

have you ever seen Bayonetta's source game?

It's... really gruesome.
I haven't.
To be fair though I didn't really feel like she should be in Smash either. Though Doom guy has a little more historical significance to back him up.
In any case maybe I shouldn't have said anything, I wasn't trying to argue against Doom Guy or anything.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They've proven Doomguy doesn't need gore. See: GBA Doom, Quake Live.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Commander Keen is so long forgotten and dead that every attempt in revival has failed. He's better off left as a reminder to the success of id Software and 3D Realms. The Doom Guy has been in more Nintendo games too.
You could say the same thing about Game&Watch, Ice Climbers, Pit, etc. Doom Guy is from a very violent, rated "M" franchise. Don't get me wrong, I would be excited if he made it and I think Smashboards is underrated the chance of a Bethesda character appearing in Smash. However, in a world with mostly cartoony, video game classics... Commander Keen is perfect.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You could say the same thing about Game&Watch, Ice Climbers, Pit, etc. Doom Guy is from a very violent, rated "M" franchise. Don't get me wrong, I would be excited if he made it and I think Smashboards is underrated the chance of a Bethesda character appearing in Smash. However, in a world with mostly cartoony, video game classics... Commander Keen is perfect.
The fact is: Commander Keen is dead, and has been forgotten for a long time. The only way that there will ever be a new game is if ID hands the IP over to Tom Hall, who is a fan of the series. Doom has much more historical significance and is much more recognizable to the general gamer. And, as shown by Snake, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Simon, and Richter, third party characters don't have to be cartoony mascots.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
However, in a world with mostly cartoony, video game classics... Commander Keen is perfect.
Classic Doom is plenty cartoony and unlike commander keen, still widely well known by lots of people young and old. There's no contest, Keen has nothing on Doomguy. Now, a Keen inspired palette swap option for Doomguy's Classic look would be good.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I honestly can't see him as playable considering he doesn't seem to be getting games, isn't really popular, and other ID protagonists have more Nintendo entries to boot.

But, I would consider Commander Keen himself, a Dopefish, or both of them for an Assist Trophy. I'd say a Commander Keen palette on the Doom protagonist or B.J Blazkowicz would be cool.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I honestly can't see him as playable considering he doesn't seem to be getting games, isn't really popular, and other ID protagonists have more Nintendo entries to boot.

But, I would consider Commander Keen himself, a Dopefish, or both of them for an Assist Trophy. I'd say a Commander Keen palette on the Doom protagonist or B.J Blazkowicz would be cool.
Definitely Dopefish. He's been a running gag for years now and is much more famous than even Keen.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The fact is: Commander Keen is dead, and has been forgotten for a long time. The only way that there will ever be a new game is if ID hands the IP over to Tom Hall, who is a fan of the series. Doom has much more historical significance and is much more recognizable to the general gamer. And, as shown by Snake, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Simon, and Richter, third party characters don't have to be cartoony mascots.
Ugh... Doom is a lot more adult themed then any of the series represented in Smash. It was the most violent video game in the 1990s. On top of that, you had the Satanic imagery to go along with the violence. Putting Doomguy in Smash is like putting South Park characters in Disney Land.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ugh... Doom is a lot more adult themed then any of the series represented in Smash. It was the most violent video game in the 1990s. On top of that, you had the Satanic imagery to go along with the violence. Putting Doomguy in Smash is like putting South Park characters in Disney Land.
Ummm...
Something tells me you haven't played Bayonetta before...

Doom may have some satanic imagery that may go against the inclusion of The Doom Slayer but then again so does Bayonnetta. Doom may have some serious connection with gore but so does Bayonetta. Bayonetta has a serious connection with sexuality and, well, Doom doesn't.

Adult content isn't really an argument anymore. You could've argued it with Metal Gear but Bayonetta is as Rated M as it gets.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
They've proven Doomguy doesn't need gore. See: GBA Doom, Quake Live.
The gore was there in the GBA Doom from what I remember (I had the game), just the bodies would disappear shortly after you kill them, was the only difference. That and the Cyberdemon’s level was missing for some reason. Good port though still.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, but it was explicitly anti-demon.
Everything you did was to beat up demons and make them GO AWAY. Your own aresenal is built entirely on man-made weaponry and any and all Satanic imagery will not apply to the Doomguy himself.
I mean for Christ's sake, one of the developers is MORMON.

The Doomguy does 2 things; shoots guns, and punches people, and believe me, both of those are already in Smash in spades.

And you really can't talk about Satanic imagery or adult themes when Bayonetta made a blood pact with a LITERAL DEMON and regularly humiliates angelic beings before executing them in sexual ways whilst at the same time summoning MULTIPLE demons via taking her clothes made of her own hair off.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

I don’t get why this is even an argument when Bayo and Snake are in the game.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
At worst, the satanic imagery would limit Doom’s content in terms of like a Hell stage, tho I would take a UAC space station over nothing. Never got how said imagery was an argument against Doomguy himself though. And yeah, Bayonetta’s source material is arguably far more obscene.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I admit that I have never played Bayonetta. Honestly, I have never been wild about her being in Smash. Still, I would be excited if Doomguy made it into the game. I am just pointing out that I feel Commander Keen would be an overall better rep. Bayo and Snake are kind of oddballs in the Smash Franchise but Sakurai made both work. He could make Doomguy work as well.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Adding to what everyone said, the most known Doom levels are the military installations that also have the least Satanic imagery. The first episode, Knee Deep in the Dead, is one of the most famous demos of all time and has been remade in several games although they're all fanmade minus Duke Nukem 3D's Christmas add-on which only remakes the first area of the first level
@ 4:24

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Adding to what everyone said, the most known Doom levels are the military installations that also have the least Satanic imagery. The first episode, Knee Deep in the Dead, is one of the most famous demos of all time and has been remade in several games
Yeah I'm kinda convinced a stage drawing from KDITD with barrels, acid pools, and classic demons as hazards, would be not only perfect for Smash, but easy to fit in an E10 game. Honestly it just seems obvious to me.

Eternal gives him the most moveset potential, so Doomguy can rep the newer games by having his default look be from Eternal, but the stage should put the original game at the forefront, it deserves it. The retro pixelated graphics of classic Doom would be right at home with the other more retro styled stages.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I admit that I have never played Bayonetta. Honestly, I have never been wild about her being in Smash. Still, I would be excited if Doomguy made it into the game. I am just pointing out that I feel Commander Keen would be an overall better rep. Bayo and Snake are kind of oddballs in the Smash Franchise but Sakurai made both work. He could make Doomguy work as well.
Commander Keem is a nobody.
Doomguy is an icon that helped shape FPS.
Doomguy fits way more based on the fact that the 3rd party roster primarily focuses all-star status, something that Doomguy has while Keem does not.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
This thread turned into arguing about Doom's M-Rated content pretty quickly, so here's a little side question:

Are there any other FPS characters who could fight Doom Slayer for this spot on the Smash roster?

The only one I can possibly think of is Master Chief but I don't think he would have a chance. Any other suggestions?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This thread turned into arguing about Doom's M-Rated content pretty quickly, so here's a little side question:

Are there any other FPS characters who could fight Doom Slayer for this spot on the Smash roster?

The only one I can possibly think of is Master Chief but I don't think he would have a chance. Any other suggestions?
Anyone from Gears of War, maybe? They could represent the third-person shooter, but they probably don't have that much of a chance either.

EDIT: Maybe The Heavy from TF2 for FPS.

Last edited:

chemo

Smash Apprentice

yeah TBH Doomguy is probably the most qualified as Smash's FPS character.

Master Chief is through and through an Xbox character with little connections to Nintendo (the Minecraft skin doesn't really count)
B.J. Blazkowicz is from a series associated with Nazism
Ranger from Quake isn't nearly as iconic and his series currently only exists as a PC-only multiplayer shooter
Duke Nukem is from a series that's pretty much dead + Gearbox sucks
James Bond was originally a movie character (and, by extention, novel character)
And pretty much everyone else at the very least isn't brought up very much.

Also personally I hope Doom Slayer gets in before Master Chief not just for the reasons stated above but I'd also argue that without DOOM, Halo wouldn't even exist and Doomguy is the original green video game space marine.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Duke Nukem is from a series that's pretty much dead + Gearbox sucks
Maybe officially dead but the community is still hanging there and they even released a mod last month (Alien Armageddon) that makes the World Tour look like absolute garbage.

Top Bottom