• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

volbound1700

Smash Master
Nothing wrong with not liking new DOOM, to each their own. My favorite is still the first due to nostalgia, but DOOM 2016 is still in my personal top 25 games ever.
Thanks. I won't say that I don't like it. I plan to pick it up again. I literally stop playing in the middle of the campaign (I was entering Hell too). I have enough challenge getting TV time to play Xbox (one reason I love the Switch and Wii U is that you don't have to fight over the TV). It just hasn't been as fun as the originals to me yet or even Doom 3 BFG Edition.

One item that made Doom and the other classic PC FPS games so great was the open world nature of the games. You don't see that in the modern FPS were you are stuck on an isolated path. Because of their innovation, the original Doom 1 & 2 still hold-up today despite their outdated graphics.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
One item that made Doom and the other classic PC FPS games so great was the open world nature of the games. You don't see that in the modern FPS were you are stuck on an isolated path. Because of their innovation, the original Doom 1 & 2 still hold-up today despite their outdated graphics.
I grew up with Id shooters and even I get frustratingly lost in old Doom levels still to this day. Modern gamers just wouldn't enjoy that kind of level design.
IMO Doom 2016 in a lot of levels gets awfully close to the old style without letting it get frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, I love the old school maze levels, but I feel people just wouldn't take to it anymore. Who knows maybe they can figure out a way to make those kinds of levels accessible, Eternal looks pretty big if you ask me.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I grew up with Id shooters and even I get frustratingly lost in old Doom levels still to this day. Modern gamers just wouldn't enjoy that kind of level design.
IMO Doom 2016 in a lot of levels gets awfully close to the old style without letting it get frustrating.
I don't see how you would get lost. Even during my first time playing the classic Doom, I knew how to turn on the map. If I got frustrated on anything, it would be finding the way to a secret level.

If that's so frustrating, how are sandbox and Zelda games still popular?

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Not really the same thing. Open world games are usually mostly wide open areas, nothing like the maze-like corridors of many old Doom maps. And to be fair I've consulted guides for lots of Zelda games, in fact BotW was the first Zelda that I didn't need to.

Some people don't have issue with this stuff and some people do. With me and Doom it's usually remembering where the various key doors are and honestly even with the map finding them can be tough. I'm just not a person with a good sense of direction.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Not really the same thing. Open world games are usually mostly wide open areas, nothing like the maze-like corridors of many old Doom maps. And to be fair I've consulted guides for lots of Zelda games, in fact BotW was the first Zelda that I didn't need to.

Some people don't have issue with this stuff and some people do. With me and Doom it's usually remembering where the various key doors are and honestly even with the map finding them can be tough. I'm just not a person with a good sense of direction.
Maybe sandboxes aren't the same but Zelda games tend to be worse (especially those water dungeons) but they still continue to sell well. I don't think modern gamers are all ADHD anyway as there are plenty in the Doom community and Dark Souls which is known to be the most hardcore of them all.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I don't see how you would get lost. Even during my first time playing the classic Doom, I knew how to turn on the map. If I got frustrated on anything, it would be finding the way to a secret level.
I genuinely have no idea but, at the same time, I don't remember Doom ever being as bad modern open world games so I'd be cool with a little more branching than we got in 2016.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

I feel the original Doom's map design was fine at best, but things took a real nose dive when Doom 2 came around.

volbound1700

Smash Master

Try Doom 2 level 12, 13, 15, and 16 which IMO is the best run of all the Doom games. In fact 9-19 of Doom 2 are an amazing set of level. Level 13 "Downtown" is my favorite all-time level. It is very open world but not maze-like at all. Easy to find end.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Try Doom 2 level 12, 13, 15, and 16 which IMO is the best run of all the Doom games. In fact 9-19 of Doom 2 are an amazing set of level. Level 13 "Downtown" is my favorite all-time level. It is very open world but not maze-like at all. Easy to find end.
Oh I've played my Doom. Like I said I grew up with Id shooters. I'm not saying every map gets frustrating, there are definitely ones that are more straight forward, but I would say it happens often enough. And when it does I usually just noclip or changemap.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I feel the original Doom's map design was fine at best, but things took a real nose dive when Doom 2 came around.
To each his own, I loved the urban areas of Doom 2. The Refueling Station, The Pit, The Factory,The Industrial Zone, and Downtown are some of my favorite levels. Doom 2's level quality was weak in the low 20s, I admit.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What would his recover be?
Rocket Jump? Shooting a rocket at your own feet, while a violation of common sense, is a common way to gain a lot of altitude in FPS games. I'm going off of Wikipedia here, but apparently the concept started in Doom (presumably accidentally, like combos in Street Fighter 2), though it came to prominence in Quake, another Id Software game.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Throw me on that supporter list

Doomguy represents the birth of an entire genre of games that went on to shape the future of gaming. I'd say he's certainly earned it.

I would argue he's the last, most important third party character that has a history with Nintendo. I'd be hard pressed to find another character anywhere close tbh.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
Rocket Jump? Shooting a rocket at your own feet, while a violation of common sense, is a common way to gain a lot of altitude in FPS games. I'm going off of Wikipedia here, but apparently the concept started in Doom (presumably accidentally, like combos in Street Fighter 2), though it came to prominence in Quake, another Id Software game.
Yeah, Rocket Jump would be perfect. Sort of like Robin's Up-B, but only boosting him up if it connects to the ground. It would make him easier to gimp but he would presumably make up for that in raw power.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I'd have the detonate as a feature for the rocket, so if you use it in midair you have to time it, if you're close to the ground/stage you wouldn't have to worry about it though.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Never played a Doom game in my life and only really started paying a good amount of attention to him recently, but man am I rooting for him now! I don't really see any other FPS character who can rival him, and he certainly has the connections and history to get in. He ain't gonna get into the base game, but DLC is his prime time, especially since the DLC cycle this time is likely gonna be much longer since we are at the start of the Switch's lifespan. I will also say this, I think the SSG is gonna be in somehow. I think Sakurai is the type of person who knows how important that thing is and will fight tooth and nail for it to be in the game as accurate to it's in game appearance as possible.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, there's a whole slew of Doom music that could be in this game. I can see Doom having over 30 tracks like Castlevania or Street Fighter, however, some of the Classic Doom songs are in legal limbo due to the fact that they are covers of metal songs, so I can see them mostly going for Doom 64 and Doom 2016 music which don't have these legal issues.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, there's a whole slew of Doom music that could be in this game. I can see Doom having over 30 tracks like Castlevania or Street Fighter, however, some of the Classic Doom songs are in legal limbo due to the fact that they are covers of metal songs, so I can see them mostly going for Doom 64 and Doom 2016 music which don't have these legal issues.
That does make me wonder, how would other composers go about remixing DOOM music? I am not the most familiar with the series, but I know that the newer games music was made in very unconventional ways. How much metal music is even in the Smash series?

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
As much as I love the original Doom music, I'd be fine with only post-Doom 2 tracks in the game. Doom 2016 alone could fill the whole music selection, but some Doom 3 and 64 would be icing on the cake.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
It still blows my mind how easily some people get lost in Doom. However, Doom 2 was always a favorite of mine growing up.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That does make me wonder, how would other composers go about remixing DOOM music? I am not the most familiar with the series, but I know that the newer games music was made in very unconventional ways. How much metal music is even in the Smash series?
I think that you could remix Doom 1, 2, and 2016 music. Doom 64 on the other hand, that would be rather difficult to remix, so I think that all the Doom 64 tracks (if Doom 64 music is in the game) would just be rips.
As much as I love the original Doom music, I'd be fine with only post-Doom 2 tracks in the game. Doom 2016 alone could fill the whole music selection, but some Doom 3 and 64 would be icing on the cake.
Yeah. I would be fine with only Doom 64 and 2016 music in the game. I don't think that Doom 3 would have much in terms of content because it's widely considered the black sheep of the franchise and really isn't remembered fondly.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Yeah. I would be fine with only Doom 64 and 2016 music in the game. I don't think that Doom 3 would have much in terms of content because it's widely considered the black sheep of the franchise and really isn't remembered fondly.
Well to be fair, the only real piece of music Doom 3 has is the main theme. Which is honestly good and frankly, Doom 3 is underrated.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have a question for all of you, what would the codecs on Doom Slayer be like? I feel like both Snake and Pit would have very interesting reactions to him.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I have a question for all of you, what would the codecs on Doom Slayer be like? I feel like both Snake and Pit would have very interesting reactions to him.
Not exactly well versed in either series, but I feel Pit's would mostly consist of him being bullied by Palutena because the Doomslayer is just so much better at killing demons than he is.

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
i would guess Snake would be interested in his arsenal of weapons more than anything, while Pit and Palutena would be more interested in his history of killing demons in the "underworld"

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Not exactly well versed in either series, but I feel Pit's would mostly consist of him being bullied by Palutena because the Doomslayer is just so much better at killing demons than he is.
I am kinda the opposite, I have much more knowledge of these series than Doom(Though with MGS, it's only by a little bit). Pit would probably be all sorts of shocked and intimidated, but glad that the Doom Slayer probably does not desire to outright murder him like the demons. Palutena would probably have much respect for the Doom Slayer, considering her nature as a holy god, but also appreciates Doom Slayers more no nonsense attitude. It's Viridi that I am really curious about, because while she is not a demon, I imagine the Doom Slayer would not appreciate what she has done to humanity(As in, nuking an entire battlefield of warring humans, possibly killing tens of thousand of people, and was gonna drop more if it had not been for Pit stopping her production of the bombs), and I feel Viridi might recognize that possible hostility. How she responds is anyone's guess, it depends on how much she knows about the Doom Slayer.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I am kinda the opposite, I have much more knowledge of these series than Doom(Though with MGS, it's only by a little bit). Pit would probably be all sorts of shocked and intimidated, but glad that the Doom Slayer probably does not desire to outright murder him like the demons. Palutena would probably have much respect for the Doom Slayer, considering her nature as a holy god, but also appreciates Doom Slayers more no nonsense attitude. It's Viridi that I am really curious about, because while she is not a demon, I imagine the Doom Slayer would not appreciate what she has done to humanity(As in, nuking an entire battlefield of warring humans, possibly killing tens of thousand of people, and was gonna drop more if it had not been for Pit stopping her production of the bombs), and I feel Viridi might recognize that possible hostility. How she responds is anyone's guess, it depends on how much she knows about the Doom Slayer.
Given the Doomslayer's reaction at the very beginning of Doom 2016 to Samuel Hayden basically saying it was the right thing to let everyone die for free energy, I think he'd HATE Viridi. So, basically, Doomslayer vs. small child.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Given the Doomslayer's reaction at the very beginning of Doom 2016 to Samuel Hayden basically saying it was the right thing to let everyone die for free energy, I think he'd HATE Viridi. So, basically, Doomslayer vs. small child.
Man, now I just want to know what the Doom Slayer trouncing the evil's of the Kid Icarus universe would be like. I mean, I think his greatest enemy at the end of the day would just be getting around. Pit may only have 5 minutes of flight, but he makes is able to take full advantage of what he has got. Besides that, I think very little can stand up to him in the Kid Icarus universe, with the exception of maybe Hades, but even them I am not 100% sure. Strangely, despite her importance to the story, as well as Pit fighting all of her commanders, Pit never actually fights Viridi, so we have no clue what her power's and strength is like.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Man, now I just want to know what the Doom Slayer trouncing the evil's of the Kid Icarus universe would be like. I mean, I think his greatest enemy at the end of the day would just be getting around. Pit may only have 5 minutes of flight, but he makes is able to take full advantage of what he has got. Besides that, I think very little can stand up to him in the Kid Icarus universe, with the exception of maybe Hades, but even them I am not 100% sure. Strangely, despite her importance to the story, as well as Pit fighting all of her commanders, Pit never actually fights Viridi, so we have no clue what her power's and strength is like.
I mean, in lore the Doomslayer killed a kaiju sized demon (also didn't specify if he had weapons so we can assume he used only his fists or at the least a sword), so I feel he's almost unstoppable if he has the right motivations.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, in lore the Doomslayer killed a kaiju sized demon (also didn't specify if he had weapons so we can assume he used only his fists or at the least a sword), so I feel he's almost unstoppable if he has the right motivations.
True, but Hades is a different case. Not only is he big, surprisingly fast for something his size, and has enough weaponry on him to be a mobile apocalypse, but he also does not play fair. Heck, after the first stage of the final boss, he pretty much hyper speeds away to the surface with the plan to feed on more souls and power himself up more. The only reason that did not work was because Pit was piloting the Great Sacred Treasure, which was more than capable of catching up with him.

Extra stuff in an edit: But I do think Doom Slayer would find away to work around that problem, especially if he had some help from Palutena and Pit. I feel like he would be a bit more open to working with them for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
True, but Hades is a different case. Not only is he big, surprisingly fast for something his size, and has enough weaponry on him to be a mobile apocalypse, but he also does not play fair. Heck, after the first stage of the final boss, he pretty much hyper speeds away to the surface with the plan to feed on more souls and power himself up more. The only reason that did not work was because Pit was piloting the Great Sacred Treasure, which was more than capable of catching up with him.

Extra stuff in an edit: But I do think Doom Slayer would find away to work around that problem, especially if he had some help from Palutena and Pit. I feel like he would be a bit more open to working with them for obvious reasons.
If we ain't playing fair then I mean, give him all available weapons from the Doom series to him, as well as him being fully upgraded and giving him all the power ups (Invulnerability, Quad damage, Berserk, Haste) and I think he fairs up pretty nicely. Also honestly I'd say the Doomslayer is a mobile apocalypse if he's fully decked out

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If we ain't playing fair then I mean, give him all available weapons from the Doom series to him, as well as him being fully upgraded and giving him all the power ups (Invulnerability, Quad damage, Berserk, Haste) and I think he fairs up pretty nicely. Also honestly I'd say the Doomslayer is a mobile apocalypse if he's fully decked out
Let's also remember, Doom Slayer seems very open to using new tools of destruction. I have no doubt that he would really appreciate some of the weapons the Kid Icarus universe has to offer. Heck, I would not be surprised if he would find a way to get his own Great Sacred Treasure to kill Hades with. No matter the opponent, life Doom Slayer finds a way. And that way is brutal maiming.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Let's also remember, Doom Slayer seems very open to using new tools of destruction. I have no doubt that he would really appreciate some of the weapons the Kid Icarus universe has to offer. Heck, I would not be surprised if he would find a way to get his own Great Sacred Treasure to kill Hades with. No matter the opponent, life Doom Slayer finds a way. And that way is brutal maiming.
You never played a Doom game before but you're already getting it. That's how it is. This is also not counting the new things the Slayer will get in Doom Eternal.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You never played a Doom game before but you're already getting it. That's how it is. This is also not counting the new things the Slayer will get in Doom Eternal.
Glad I am getting with the program. If I recall, I heard that they went into Eternal wanting to make Doom Slayer the most OP(Either that or badass) protagonist of all time, and I can safely say they succeeded. I can not recall a single time a grappling hook made someone less awesome, he now has the Predator claw for even more brutal kills, and he is also about to go full on end of Rouge One on the demons(Btw, I know that sword was at the end of DOOM 2016, so there was some foreshadowing to this). It's like they took every awesome thing they could think of and added it to character who really did not need the help(Though he does certainly appreciate it).

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Glad I am getting with the program. If I recall, I heard that they went into Eternal wanting to make Doom Slayer the most OP(Either that or badass) protagonist of all time, and I can safely say they succeeded. I can not recall a single time a grappling hook made someone less awesome, he now has the Predator claw for even more brutal kills, and he is also about to go full on end of Rouge One on the demons(Btw, I know that sword was at the end of DOOM 2016, so there was some foreshadowing to this). It's like they took every awesome thing they could think of and added it to character who really did not need the help(Though he does certainly appreciate it).
I think the phrase was "more op" when they talked about it. And they basically turned him into a Predator then.
Also man, I really hope there's some sort of lightsaber-esque duel between the Doomslayer and Samuel.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think the phrase was "more op" when they talked about it. And they basically turned him into a Predator then.
Also man, I really hope there's some sort of lightsaber-esque duel between the Doomslayer and Samuel.
There probably is, as it just sounds like the sort of thing that is too perfect to pass up.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Lightsaber duel? All the Doom Guy needs is his chainsaw. Speaking of lightsabers, wasn't there a Doom mod where you fight Darth Vader and with no guns?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
In terms of codecs, I think Snake and the crew would be well aware of how skilled he is, but Snake may throw in a sly remark/reference about how the engravings on his ssg provide no tactical advantage.

Pit would either think Doomguy is a supercool badass or be a little scared of him but glad hes on their side. I could see Palutena having a crush on him and Pit getting embaressed/jealous if Pakutena calls Doomguy a hunk.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just had a thought about the Palutena codec, what if they have the demonic voice make an appearance? I mean, if Chrom can somehow get into the equivalent of God Skype, I don't see how it can't be done by a powerful demon.

Top Bottom