• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
People have said the chainsaw might be to much for Smash. A lot of things in Smash should **** you up more than they should, go look at bowser jrs attacks he uses saws and drills. Just because the object can cut you up like a MF doesn’t mean is has too.

For Duke Nukem. If he had the fan push I would think his chances are pretty high. Like he has more games on a Nintendo console than the last three third parties added. And I don’t think Gear box or John Saimt John would be an issue to work with.

Hell I see a duke nuke model mode for Snake Duke has his fans. And what is Mega man alive

I would also think you could make Duke fit the unrealistic less butal style of Smash more than Doomguy could. Hell because Duke has been PG and worked

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Any version of the Doom protagonist can be toned down. Even the chainsaw could be toned down if it were used. Both Corrin's use of the Yato's final form uses a chainsaw like edges on it's blades.

There are PG ways of showing rather brutal things happening that have been done. Some of the Smash cast does rather brutal things such as Ridley dragging foes across the ground.

Outside of fan demand, Doom would get in mostly for the credit of being one of the games that spawned FPS games (the others woud be Quake and Wolfenstein and those were to a lesser degree of impact.) and is still going to this day.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
But their is only one Doomguy. Sure some spin off and an expansion had a new guy or two/three. But it would be Doom Marine from the first one with an moden look if any look was picked.

Or we could get trolled with black haired reboot doom guy from 3

Not to say I don’t support door guy for smash. I seriously want every game series to get one rep in Smash Every game even third parts bring in big daddy from bioshock please

Like there is only one place to settle the duke vs doom guy vs Samus vs Mega man Vs Master Chief debate and that’s on the battlefield of Smash bros

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Duke would be awesome as well, but too bad his series his is somewhat dead.

I really wish Doomguy could be in the base game. I’d love it if some Doom enemies could be in Spirits and for him to team up with characters like Pichu and Kirby(for the contrast). I’ll take DLC though.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
But their is only one Doomguy. Sure some spin off and an expansion had a new guy or two/three. But it would be Doom Marine from the first one with an moden look if any look was picked.
Pretty sure if they added Doomguy, they would treat the "Doom Slayer" from 2016/Eternal and classic Doomguy as one and the same, like a lot of the fans do. For what it's worth, Quake Champions treats them as the same character. So yes I think Smash "Doomguy" would have both the praetor suit and the classic armor.

Honestly I'd love to see the newer features like the armblade and shoulder launcher on the classic armor.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Pretty sure if they added Doomguy, they would treat the "Doom Slayer" from 2016/Eternal and classic Doomguy as one and the same, like a lot of the fans do. For what it's worth, Quake Champions treats them as the same character. So yes I think Smash "Doomguy" would have both the praetor suit and the classic armor.

Honestly I'd love to see the newer features like the armblade and shoulder launcher on the classic armor.
I think there's a theory going around that the "Doom Slayer" and the Doomguy are the same, but those kind of theories could easily be dismissed. I did like how Quake Champions treated them both as the same.

As for compositing characters, we had Link being composited in the past, Smash for Wii U/3DS giving us that. I actually would like that for both Doomguy and B.J Blazkowicz (on the longshot B.J would be considered.)

NukeA6

Smash Master
I actually would like that for both Doomguy and B.J Blazkowicz (on the longshot B.J would be considered.)
That would be redundant since the Doom Guy already got all his weapons in some form. At least the classic BJ; I don't know about the reboot BJ as I haven't played those two.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
That would be redundant since the Doom Guy already got all his weapons in some form. At least the classic BJ; I don't know about the reboot BJ as I haven't played those two.
I admit you've got a point here on Doom Guy. There is more than one way to show a composite, however. The icon could possibly use the classic face design for the base stock icon. Sound effects are another way. This is, however, not taking how likely some of that is into account.

As for B.J, I'll save that talk for the thread dedicated to him that's here.

Last edited:

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
Atta boy Doomguy.

I think he got knocked out by Amaterasu, and I think that's just because people think a quadraped would be cool (which in fairness, would be).

It's always great to see him do well on these polls though. Even if this thread doesn't have nearly the same activity as some others, I really do think Doomguy has some decently strong support.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
It's always great to see him do well on these polls though. Even if this thread doesn't have nearly the same activity as some others, I really do think Doomguy has some decently strong support.
Yeah he did pretty good, especially when you consider who he beat.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
What would you guys like his victory theme to be? If he got in it would 99% be the sragw clear theme from DOOM 2016 (the first few notes of the E1M1 theme), but I think itd be cool if it was the an infinite loop of the levrl clear theme from DOOM 1 (kinda like how Clouds victory theme is an infinite loop of the battle win theme)

NukeA6

Smash Master
However, he lost to a B-list Capcom character. That says it all.
The Doom Guy was just a pipe dream character with zero chance until Bethesda's possible alliance with Nintendo was announced. Give it time.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
What would you guys like his victory theme to be? If he got in it would 99% be the sragw clear theme from DOOM 2016 (the first few notes of the E1M1 theme), but I think itd be cool if it was the an infinite loop of the levrl clear theme from DOOM 1 (kinda like how Clouds victory theme is an infinite loop of the battle win theme)
Makes perfect sense to me.

Tangent, but I would love if DOOM 1 and 2 got released for Switch. I really want to try one at some point.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529

Tangent, but I would love if DOOM 1 and 2 got released for Switch. I really want to try one at some point.
Id sure pick them up. In the mean time if you wanna play them badly you can get them on Steam for pretty cheap (and theyll run on potatoes too since theyre both well over 20 years old) and wads get you a whole lot of extra fun stuff to mess around with.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386

I am all for the classic Id games released on the Switch. Steam and GoG both have the classic games right now if you want them.

NukeA6

Smash Master

You could run Doom 1 and 2 on whatever you're using right now. Trust me, you don't need a release on the Switch. Let that console get its own Doom like the N64 did.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The Doom Guy was just a pipe dream character with zero chance until Bethesda's possible alliance with Nintendo was announced. Give it time.
Yeah, I bet he'll be up there soon as the top eventually. He's got a lot of things going for him now, especially since Sakurai acknowledged John Carmack's work and Bethesda being interested in Smash.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
You could run Doom 1 and 2 on whatever you're using right now. Trust me, you don't need a release on the Switch. Let that console get its own Doom like the N64 did.
If people want a Switch release of the older games, let'em want the ports. It would be a good promotional thing if they timed it with Doom Eternal. Besides, we do not have the SNES era censorship policies holding the old games back anymore.

The old games would likely just be digital only releases, unless Id Software and Bethesda want a classic Id bundle.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
If people want a Switch release of the older games, let'em want the ports. It would be a good promotional thing if they timed it with Doom Eternal. Besides, we do not have the SNES era censorship policies holding the old games back anymore.

The old games would likely just be digital only releases, unless Id Software and Bethesda want a classic Id bundle.
They should port the BFG Edition of Doom 3 to the Switch. Came with the first two games along with all the DLC for Doom 3. Would make the Switch the only console to be able to play every Doom game on (I believe).

NukeA6

Smash Master

I only say that because it's not hard to get Doom running nowadays and the Switch ports aren't gonna have mods. Not forcing anyone to do so. So You Want To Play ****ing Doom? infographics are perfect for those who want join in on the fun but I can't post them because of profanity and possible piracy.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I don't know if they'd want to do a physical for only 2 SNES era games, but maybe Id could do "Id Software Classic Shooter Collection" including Wolf 3D, DOOM, DOOM 2, Final DOOM, and maybe, just maaaaaaaaaybe, the og Quake games, and possibly DOOM 64 to boot. Add online multiplayer and level editors for the applicable games, and you got a bundle worthy of a physical release and I'd buy in a heartbeat.

Oh, and DOOM 3 would be neat, and then you could play every DOOM game on modern consoles officially, but im not sure a game from 2004 is old enough to be considered classic yet.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
and maybe, just maaaaaaaaaybe, the og Quake games
Oof, Quake and Quake II in an Id collection on Switch would more than make up for the lack of mods for Doom. I don't think Doom 3 would be much to ask for either and definitely qualifies as classic by now.

All of Wolf 3D, Doom: Collectors Edition, Doom 64, Quake (with MP1 & 2), Quake II (with MP1 & 2), Doom 3 BFG.

Six games (consolidating Ult Doom, Doom II, Final Doom and the Quakes with their MP's) Isn't that much to ask, and all that would be less than 20gb easily, more like 10gb.
Yeah I'd get that day one.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Oof, Quake and Quake II in an Id collection on Switch would more than make up for the lack of mods for Doom. I don't think Doom 3 would be much to ask for either and definitely qualifies as classic by now.

All of Wolf 3D, Doom: Collectors Edition, Doom 64, Quake (with MP1 & 2), Quake II (with MP1 & 2), Doom 3 BFG.

Six games (consolidating Ult Doom, Doom II, Final Doom and the Quakes with their MP's) Isn't that much to ask, and all that would be less than 20gb easily, more like 10gb.
Yeah I'd get that day one.
The fact that Doom 64 hasn't been ported to anything ever is surprising to me. Even as a Nintendo exclusive re-release, nothing.

NukeA6

Smash Master
The fact that Doom 64 hasn't been ported to anything ever is surprising to me. Even as a Nintendo exclusive re-release, nothing.
To be fair, Doom 64 had a bad rap back then because it wasn't a true 3D game and reviewers rated it as average. Really unfair treatment especially since it looks better than 90% of the N64's library.

volbound1700

Smash Master
My favorite Doom theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plDUqE5obeQ&t=154s

I loved Doom 2 the most out of all the Doom games. (Played 1, 2, TNT, Plutonia, Doom 3 BFG, and Remake). The Factory, Downtown, The Pit, Industrial Zone, Suburbs, the Courtyard, Citadel, Gotcha... all great levels.

Imagine Doomguy, Masterchief, and Snake all in Smash. The epic battle.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The thing with Doom 64’s disregard is that it was more of an off-brand game made by Midway at the time rather than Id Software. Not sure if I’d go as far as to say it looked better than 90% of the 64’s library, but it was alright. Main problem again for me was how dark it was, often making it hard to see things.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
The thing with Doom 64’s disregard is that it was more of an off-brand game made by Midway at the time rather than Id Software.
Midway had enough input and support from Id themselves that I'd consider it just as "true" a Doom game as the originals and 2016. The oldschool Doom community seems to anyways.
To a lot of people, myself included, it's the true Doom 3.

As to why it's been neglected... maybe theres some kind of legal roadblock? Or they may just not think it's worth it, hard to say.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Fair enough. The titled game from 2004 will always be my Doom 3 though personally despite some of the differences the Doom 3 era had from the rest of the games, but even Doom 64 had some ideas I liked which pretty much remain exclusive to it to this day.

Yeah, was thinking that may have had to do with it also, since Midway's no longer around, or rather was rebranded when WB acquired them.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Not to say Doom 3 itself isn't a good Doom game, it still has a lot of what makes Doom Doom, but I do feel overall Doom 64 hits the mark better. But that's not hard seeing as they were not really trying to reinvent the series with that one like Id was with Doom 3.

At the end of the day it feels like the "true" Doom 3 to me because I feel it's just as good as Doom II, and if it weren't for the fact that Midway was doing it and not just Id, it would've been called Doom 3. It had more changes/additions (new sprites/textures/sfx/lighting/ability to stack rooms) than Doom II did, despite a couple monsters being missing. It even continued the story of Doom II.

But Id wanted to move on from Doom at the time, yet save the title of "Doom 3" for themselves, so here we are. It's kinda a weird position it wound up in, and yeah it's not actually the real Doom 3, but it could have easily been if they wanted it to be.

NukeA6

Smash Master
The thing with Doom 64’s disregard is that it was more of an off-brand game made by Midway at the time rather than Id Software. Not sure if I’d go as far as to say it looked better than 90% of the 64’s library, but it was alright. Main problem again for me was how dark it was, often making it hard to see things.
There was also the complaint that some monsters like the Arch-Vile and zombie commando were missing but you could blame the limited space of N64 cartridges for that. Still, they got all the classic demons in and the redesigns were a lot better than Doom 3's (minus the zombies).

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am going to say something unpopular here, I just recently got the new Doom game for Xbox One and I am not that wild about it. The melee combat is kind of annoying to me and it still lacks the open world of the original ones. It is like Doom 3 in that you have a set path with some side paths that are hard to find with secrets.

Doom 1 & 2 were perfect for their time and I wish the Doom series would try to replicate them better with improvements. You had open worlds, detailed realistic combat (for the time), and an amazing sound track/atmosphere. I like the more keep your distance and be strategic about engagement feel from the original Doom. Sure there was close quarter engagements as well but it wasn't through the entire game like Doom 3 and Doom "4". You had opportunities to back track and setup ambushes against the monsters yet they also came out and surprised you in some ambushes as well that would make you jump.

I remember the epic invasion of monsters in the Courtyard or the surprise you felt in Gotcha when the Cyderdemon and Spider Mastermind came out of no where. (Of course you quickly realize the unique strategy of just running around the room until the two hit each other and start a fight).

There was so much uniqueness to the original Dooms that was lost in the sequels.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
Nothing wrong with not liking something. I personally loved DOOM 2016 but my perspective is definitely limited by not having played the originals.

I do hope Eternal has more varied environments, because 2016's Hell began to feel a bit samey after a while.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Nothing wrong with not liking new DOOM, to each their own. My favorite is still the first due to nostalgia, but DOOM 2016 is still in my personal top 25 games ever.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was also the complaint that some monsters like the Arch-Vile and zombie commando were missing but you could blame the limited space of N64 cartridges for that. Still, they got all the classic demons in and the redesigns were a lot better than Doom 3's (minus the zombies).
The only Doom 3 redesign I wasn’t a fan of was the Cacodemon. Everything else I can think of was passable. Doom 3 era was missing the Baron of Hell though which were replaced by their weaker cousin the Hell Knights for some reason, but with the sweet redesign they got, I can’t complain too much, and it made the Baron’s return in Doom 2016 all the sweeter.

NukeA6

Smash Master
The only Doom 3 redesign I wasn’t a fan of was the Cacodemon. Everything else I can think of was passable. Doom 3 era was missing the Baron of Hell though which were replaced by their weaker cousin the Hell Knights for some reason, but with the sweet redesign they got, I can’t complain too much, and it made the Baron’s return in Doom 2016 all the sweeter.
Wouldn't the "Bruiser Brothers" be the Barons? They even have more health than all the others and are homage to the "Bruiser Brothers" from the first episode of Doom.

Last edited:
Top Bottom