• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The recent Smash trailers had at least one of the main cast being brutally murdered in some way (Especially Luigi; I mean, I’d be traumatized if friggin’ DEATH reaped my soul!), how about for his trailer we go the extra mile:

Have all the worlds (Mushroom Kingdom, Ylisse, Dream Land, Bionis and Mechonis, etc.) be shown in the midst of a terrifying demonic invasion before Doom Slayer’s reveal!

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Sign me up as a supporter! I know it's never gonna happen given the guns and gore associated with him but if there was ever gonna be a 3rd party character meant to represent the FPS genre in the way that Cloud represents JRPGs, Bayonetta represents Spectacle Fighters, and Ryu represents traditional Fighters, Doom Guy is by far the best fit considering the franchise's history with Nintendo and its own massive significance as the first popular FPS game ever.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
As highly unlikely as Doomguy is ever going to make this game, I would support his inclusion. I'm a pretty big (classic) Doom player myself, and can only imagine what it would be like to smash things as Doomguy - the same hero that trudges through thousands of existing PWADs and levels for Doom/Doom II. As others have said though, given how incredibly un-family-friendly it is it's highly unlikely he would ever be considered. Still, we could always use the ol' "Cloud" card and say we just don't know. I mean, he's certainly been on Nintendo platforms longer than Cloud ever has.

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
Can I be on the support list. This is more for my friend who would absolutely freak out if this happened, but Doomguy definitely would be a unique addition to the roster.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah like once a week nowdays I see a post about Doomguy in Smash on either the Doom or Smash subreddits, so I would hesitate to say there's NO demand. Everytime I see one of those posts I smile and up-vote. The demand for him in smash has definitely at least risen lately.

I can accept that he most likely won't make the base Ult roster, but there's almost certainly going to be DLC and maybe if we make enough noise about Doomguy in the meantime there's hope. Gahd I want him in Smash though, if it happens I'm losing my **** for a week straight. So yeah put me on the support list pls.

Last edited:

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
I would like to be put on the support list! Doom Slayer is my most wanted character for the next smash and would be an insta-main for me if he actually got in somehow. I feel like he has next to no shot at making the base roster, but if we can spread the idea around I feel like demand may rise significantly (especially given the convenient timing of the Doom Eternal gameplay showcase and hype) and he could have a decent shot at DLC.

I only see a couple problems with his potential inclusion, being the arsenal of weaponry and popularity in Japan. The super shotgun seems like the most notable weapon issue since it’s the most iconic weapon from the doom series yet has very realistic shotgun properties that may affect rating, among other consequences. I’m not too worried about the chainsaw given that it’s technically a woodcutting tool, the fact that there are already similar moves in Smash (see Bowser Jr’s buzzsaw) and the gore often associated with the chainsaw is not necessary for it to work in Smash, whereas realistic guns seem to be considered intrinsically violent and inappropriate given that you’re pumping hot lead into beloved Nintendo characters. But hey, if swords are allowed, why not cut into your enemies just a little more efficiently? I’m also not so sure how well known doom guy is in Japan or how we’ll received he would be, which I’d think would be a significant factor in character selection. He’s also a wholly western character which is unprecedented. Regardless of how many hurdles he has though, I still really want to rip and tear through the whole Smash roster! ( sorry for the long post lol)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I’m also not so sure how well known doom guy is in Japan or how we’ll received he would be, which I’d think would be a significant factor in character selection.
Well, to be fair, I don’t think most of the west even knew about Fire Emblem until Marth and Roy debuted in Melee, so, maybe this could be like a reverse of that?

Last edited:

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
Well, to be fair, I don’t think most of the west even knew about Fire Emblem until Marth and Roy debuted in Melee, so, maybe this could be like a reverse of that?
That’s a good point, but then again, those are Japanese characters from a Japanese company interested in popularizing them both in their home country and overseas, so there’s more incentive in popularizing your own characters than helping a third party in Japan. After all, Japan kinda gets priority as far as I can tell (unless there’s a lot of prolonged western demand for a character like for Ridley). I’m also worried about Sakurai feeling like he would be alienating his home audience anyway. Japanese fans were calling Ridley “Captain America” after all (I’m not sure just how serious or contemptuous that trend was though). Just imagine what the reaction to doomguy might be.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Ridley and Dark Samus made it in and Metroid is mostly only popular in the west. Popularity among Japanese fans isn't absolutely everything, and honestly I don't think Doom is UNHEARD of over there... I mean one of the most prominent fan made Doom wads I can think of is Japanese made (JPCP) and OG Doom was literally more popular and on more PC's than windows itself. If any purely western 3rd party series has a chance I'd say its Doom.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Glad to see the demand is increased. I can say there is a demand for him now.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
With all these trailers killing our heroes off, you could say Doomguy's arrival is a form of payback against the villains which I hope is what they're building up to.

Last edited:

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
You know what should follow Doomguy into Smash?

Quad Damage. It'd be a floating purple orb that meandered across the stage like a smash ball until someone touched it, at which point they'd gain 4x knockback and damage. Guranteed to help you rip and tear through situations.

Drakonix

Smash Cadet

Quad Damage. It'd be a floating purple orb that meandered across the stage like a smash ball until someone touched it, at which point they'd gain 4x knockback and damage. Guranteed to help you rip and tear through situations.
That would be pretty awesome...and also very scary to go against. Just imagine a heavyweight with a super mushroom and that power-up. YOU become the stage boss!

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I'll admit right here and right now. I would be ecstatic for his inclusion because I love the Doom music especially the classic Doom theme from SNES.

(I know there is a PC one, but only played the SNES version besides the new one that came out.)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
A lot of people think Doom Guy himself isn't iconic, but I think the fact that he appears on the boxart of most Doom games, is always holding the series iconic weaponry, and, well, has the word DOOM in his own name, I'd figure most people can connect the dots from there.
Is "Doom Guy" iconic? No. The guy inside the slayer suit is a nobody to all but the most hardcore of fans. Yet I, having barely touched the series, still instantly recognised it by that suit when the latest game came out.
The suit is iconic and the suit is what you'll see in game. The character portrait would merely be a nice knod to fans of the original.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
Recently played DOOM (2016) and it was absolutely amazing.

I know it's a longshot but Doomguy is undoubtedly my #1 most wanted. I think he's got a decent chance at DLC, if nothing else.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman

Oh yes that would be great. Quad Damage is pretty damn iconic as far as VG power-ups go and I'd definitely love to see it show up in smash with the Doomguy.

Last edited:

xNaz

Smash Cadet
What would his newcomer card say? Doomguy rips and tears?

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
What would his newcomer card say? Doomguy rips and tears?
"Doomguy rips and tears through the competition!" is the most common suggestion I've seen, would probably work pretty well.

Last edited:

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
Bit too word. "Doom Slayer Raises Hell!" would be my favorite. With the possibly of it being punned into "Razes" because that's literally what he does.

joem1k

Smash Rookie
NNID
joem1k
Guess who just got 12th place in the unofficial ballot.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I think that goes to show Doom Guy support is larger than we may think at first! Maybe he actually DOES have a chance for DLC? Lets keep up the support and find out!

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
I have to wonder how much support he has outside the hardcore though.

He definitely didn't get much attention during the SmashBallot, which Sakurai has said heavily influenced the newcomers in Ultimate.

I'm hoping Eternal puts him on the map more for the general public.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Once Isaac is confirmed 100% of my character hype is going to Doomguy. Doom Eternal looks sick but Doomguy in smash would be even sicker

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
i would absolutely love to see Doomguy make his way into Smash, the music from the first games are incredible and possibly hearing them being redone would be amazing. Not only that but he would be such a unique character in Smash when compared to every other current character. You have my support!

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I'd like to be a part of the supporters list as well.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I like Doom enough that I would even support the pipe dreams. Add me on to the list because I'm quite the fan of the classic FPS. I hope we get the original Doom Guy even if the Doom Slayer looks better (and has the most metal name ever).

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I like Doom enough that I would even support the pipe dreams. Add me on to the list because I'm quite the fan of the classic FPS. I hope we get the original Doom Guy even if the Doom Slayer looks better (and has the most metal name ever).
I don't see why they wouldn't have both. The Doom Slayer from Eternal would be his default look, and his alt would be something like this
As to whether they should call him the Doom Slayer or Doomguy, IDK, either one works. "Doomguy" is still recognizable and kinda fits the relatively lighter tone of Smash.

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I just realized that his pet bunny's name was Daisy, if he got into the game you could team him up with :ultdaisy: wearing a bunny hood :laugh:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
What kinda pose would you guys like/imagine for Doom Guy on the css? The poses in Ultimate are way more dynamic from the stiff poses in Wii U, so Id imagine his pose would involve him revving or starting his chainsaw and storming into battle.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
What kinda pose would you guys like/imagine for Doom Guy on the css? The poses in Ultimate are way more dynamic from the stiff poses in Wii U, so Id imagine his pose would involve him revving or starting his chainsaw and storming into battle.
I imagine him doing a berserker pose with his left fist reeled back for a punch while his right hand is aiming the Super Shotgun at the camera.

Last edited:

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Oh ****.

To me, the only Bethesda characters that have any chance are The Dragonborn or Doomguy. I'd prefer Doomguy but either would be pretty goddamn amazing.
I'd love both, but Doomguy definitely is the more deserving.

That "Oh yeah." might just mean Doomguy in smash is more likely than we may think. fuuuudge, who knows, if not base roster this def boosts his chances as DLC.

Top Bottom