• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I also support Doomguy. If Ashley gets confirmed too I can see Doomguy beating the crap out of Red in his reveal trailer since Red is an imp.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I've come to think about it now and honestly I actually do think that Doomguy would kinda be cool to play as in Smash Bros

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It'd also be pretty surreal to see the Smash cast fighting in literal hell, should that be the stage chosen. Though because it's hell, I imagine for Smash they'd go with somewhere on the the safer UAC facility.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Doom 3 for my original Xbox. I really want to look in to Doom, so I'm planning on getting Doom for my PS4. I support!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Thinking about the potential trailer, am I the only one thinking that Doomguy’s trailer should have an exclusive Slayer Testament? I’ve even thought of how it could go from my perspective:

“Moments after the victory that had sealed him, a prophecy was carved into the walls of the Hell Temples: ‘Should our destructor return to bring further despair to our forces, a banishment shall be instilled upon him. His prison shall be a world that will remain untouched by Hell, and the world shall be an epicenter, a crossroads for other worlds, each with their own mighty warriors. May his actions lead to this unwilling exile, may his conflict with these adversaries be eternal, and may he never stand against us again.’”

If something like that were in his trailer, that would be pretty cool.

Last edited:

chemo

Smash Apprentice
DOOM Eternal gameplay was just shown off.

Not only does it look ****ing amazing, but the new tools Doomguy has gives him even greater Smash moveset potential, and DE will be coming to Switch:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Was about to post that. Doomguy 1, Master Chief 0... Not that I think either FPS icon has that much a chance far as Smash at this point, but would still pick Doomguy if I had to for the moveset alone.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Yeah, its looking sick. Heres to hoping Doom making consistent appearances on Nintendo leads to something nrew within Smash fans unconvinced about Doom Slayer!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I saw it myself and oh my god, what a game it is so far! Already, I’m seeing more things for a potential moveset, like a Super Shotgun tether, arm blade pummel, anything that uses that shoulder cannon...holy crap, Doom Eternal is looking to be the best ****ing game ever!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
DOOM Eternal gameplay was just shown off.

Not only does it look ****ing amazing, but the new tools Doomguy has gives him even greater Smash moveset potential, and DE will be coming to Switch:

I'm thrilled. Doom and Halo are the only FPSs I generally go for, glad to know I can take the upcoming title on the go again. ^_^

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
This silent protagonist badassery 101... :eek: (hint, it's why Samus in Metroid Samus Returns was so awesome)

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm doubting Doom Guy could get in base roster.... but with the way the tone of Ultimate is shaping up (RIP Mario, Megaman, Luigi) I can see Doomguy, Hell stage and all, getting in as DLC! So sure; count me in!

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I am very much on board with the Doomguy. In fact, removing characters already confirmed to be playable he is in my top 3 most wanteds, and removing disconfirmed characters as well he's in my top 2.
DOOM is perhaps the most legendary game of its genre, and is still incredibly popular to this day. If Ryu is Mr. Fighting Game and Cloud is Mr. RPG, then to me the Doomguy is Mr. FPS.

As for talk about his moveset and censorship, generally I don't see it as much of a problem. I personally don't think Glory Kills totally need representation in his moveset, and most of the more memorable weapons from the games are energy-based or explosive, which should pass just fine.
The only problem areas I see would be the chainsaw, the chaingun and the super shotgun. The chainsaw could probably be changed to a more fantastical design and the chaingun might be an acceptable sacrifice, but the super shotgun doesn't seem very censorable without drastically altering its design, and you can't just not have it. It's the most beloved gun from the games, and not having it in his moveset would be like Simon Belmont not having a cross, K. Rool not having his blunderbuss or Link not having his bow.
Unfortunate really that there's just the one big problem with his arsenal.

Also, two miscellaneous reasons that Doomguy should be in Smash:
  1. Quad Damage item. Who doesn't want to hear that sweet guitar riff as they land a 4x damage Falcon Punch?
  2. Fanart of him, the Belmonts and Pit being demon-slaying bros.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm doubting Doom Guy could get in base roster.... but with the way the tone of Ultimate is shaping up (RIP Mario, Megaman, Luigi) I can see Doomguy, Hell stage and all, getting in as DLC! So sure; count me in!
I had not even considered this but you're right, the stage is set perfectly for his over the top, almost comic, brutality. I genuinely do believe that, if handled right, Doom Slayer could be right at home in Smash. More so than Snake ever was.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Since Smash has a thing against realistic looking guns (except for explosive ones like Snake's RPG, grenade launcher, and mortar)

He would have to limit him self to weapons like the plasma gun, rocket launcher, BFG 9000, and gauss cannon. And maybe some of Doom 4's multiplayer weapons like the hellshot, grenade launcher, lighting gun, reaper, and vortex rifle. The new shoulder rocket launcher/flamethrower could also work.

I personally don't see a real issue with the chainsaw. I mean its a tree cutting tool and Smash kinda already has one :4corrin::4corrinf: and a buzzsaw :4bowserjr:.

Then just mix in some punches and kicks that mimic his glory kills and you can make a decent move set.

Edit: add the ballista, arm blade, engery sword and soul cube to the list.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I can say for sure that no one can deny the Doom Slayer's moveset potential now.

Graizen

Smash Champion
So , have you guys consider the DOOM twitter talking about Luigi's Death , a hint?

I think thats a hint...

ThePocketPencil

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1006-0411-0276
Ya know what, maybe not the base roster, but I feel like he has a legit chance as wild as that sounds, Bethesda has been pretty chill with Nintendo in general for a bit now and he's super iconic and has more games on Nintendo Consoles than say Bayonetta or Snake. So yeah count me in!

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
I think he has a shot at DLC, especially if there's a ballot. Doomguy has my support.

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
Just thought of a mechanic for Doomguy. And a moveset.

Neutral Special: Plasma Rifle, Charge up to fire a paralyzing bomb. Custom variations include charging up to fire a short-range heat wave and a single-shot Gauss Cannon. Can be aimed up and down while active.
Up Special: Rocket Launcher. Tap again after the rocket is out to detonate. Detonating near Doomslayer sends him flying classic rocket jump style. Alternate versions include one that can be detonated twice (at the cost of weaker damage) and the "Firestorm Launcher" whose rockets explode into a pillar of flame (as a in-joke about how the classic series handled explosion aoes) Fires in direction angled (or if tapped midair, straight down)
Side Special: Shotgun: Smash to use the super shotgun. Customizations are firing a burst of 3 (2 for the Super Shotgun) or changing the smash to an arcing grenade. Fires in direction angled.
Down Special: Minigun: Slow to bring out, but devastating when it's unleashed. Is held like the cracker launcher from Brawl. Custom Variations include a longer range, more powerful but immobile version, and a more precise heavy assault rifle.

each special attack is governed by a different ammo type, (Cells, Rockets, Shells, Bullets). Each Doomslayer on the map causes a number of these pickups to spawn regularly on the map, around half a Battlefield's length from him. Other characters cannot interact with this ammo, and Doomslayer picks it up upon touching it to fill his supply for one of his four weapons. If a weapon is out of ammo, he instead pulls out his pistol for a much weaker attack.

Final Smash has the Doom Slayer being pulled out via a tether, pulling out his BFG, and taking aim. The BFG blast's strands of energy lock a target in place as the main blast approaches to send them all flying.

Last edited:

chemo

Smash Apprentice
You know what? This may sound somewhat crazy but I hope that Doomguy won't be a playable character at launch and instead becomes DLC later on down the road. The thing is, if all these awesome new elements from DOOM Eternal aren't accounted for, whether it be character designs, locations, items, and especially the new moves that the Doom Slayer has, then Doomguy and the DOOM series as a whole wouldn't get the representation in Smash that they really deserve. It would be impossible for Sakurai to do the series proper justice if the Doom Marine is going to be in the base roster.

Yeah, the chances of Doomguy being in Smash at launch are next to none, but that was something I wanted to put out there.

D

Deleted member

Doomguy being the third gritty character in the roster would be welcome (the first ones being Snake and Ridley), but I highly doubt it's happening for the base game.

I'd initially argue that DOOM's identity as a gorefest shooter would inhibit his chances considerably, but honestly, if Bayonetta could make the cut with her hypersexual tendencies, then so can a downplayed Doomguy.

However, with the release window of 2016 on Switch being so late compared to when Smash 4's development ended for good, I think the release schedule is a major blowback for Doomguy's chances, perhaps even in the long run for Ultimate.

That said, if he does happen, and if he's gonna be as badass as he was in 2016, I'll welcome him with open arms if he'll let me keep them.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
God he would be such an insane addition. Hes just as iconic as all of the other 3rd parties, and he represents a pretty underrepresented genre in Smash.
Not to mention hes a western character which Smash needs more of.

There are just so many things that I think would get in the way. Realistic weaponry is one thing, but then you gotta take hell into account, plus his final smash would likely be the BFG and the name of that weapon itself is a problem...

God it would be so cool though. Some doom music in smash would be amazing.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
God he would be such an insane addition. Hes just as iconic as all of the other 3rd parties, and he represents a pretty underrepresented genre in Smash.
Not to mention hes a western character which Smash needs more of.

There are just so many things that I think would get in the way. Realistic weaponry is one thing, but then you gotta take hell into account, plus his final smash would likely be the BFG and the name of that weapon itself is a problem...

God it would be so cool though. Some doom music in smash would be amazing.
My suggestions to get around these problems.

The realistic weaponry issue can be avoided by just sticking with energy/explosive based guns (like the plasma gun/rocker launcher).

So for the Hell thing, I don't know if you meant that Hell is to violent or if Hell is just a bad word. For the latter, Rodin's trophy in Smash 4 names his bar "The Gates of Hell". Otherwise Hell itself doesn't even have to show up. If Doomguy gets a stage, it could just take place on Mars. That or you can just focus on the parts of Doom 4's Hell that are just temples or wastelands with no blood/pentagrams. Also no cameos by the more gory Demons (sorry Revenant)

For the BFG, they can also just us its other name the "Big Force Gun"

Last edited:

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Having the Doom Marine in Smash would be great. That his 2016 design has already become iconic just shows how much of an impact that game made. And I think his 2016 design would fit surprisingly well with the roster. It also helps that DOOM as a franchies is more well known than like half of the franchises already in Smash. I can see it happening. Maybe DLC.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Now that Doom Eternal is coming to Switch, we have 5 out of the 6 main Doom titles available on Nintendo platforms, with one of them (Doom 64) Still being exclusive after 20 years. Doom Guy obviously wasnt high on the ballot since the remake wasn't out yet and wasn't on the minds of the public, but I think he can get in as DLC on the basis of being revolutionary to the FPS genre, like Ryu and Cloud are to fighting and JRPGs. A lot of people think Doom Guy himself isn't iconic, but I think the fact that he appears on the boxart of most Doom games, is always holding the series iconic weaponry, and, well, has the word DOOM in his own name, I'd figure most people can connect the dots from there.

Top Bottom