• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Would it be possible to give Doomguy a moveset that actually functioned from a First Person perspective?

I think that would be mighty fun. And bring back my original terror of being five and frightened that people attacked me from behind and all I had was my fist.
I still shower with my back against the wall.
No. There are just way too many reasons that this is a bad idea.

• Every animation needing to be redone to make sense viewed from the perpendicular plane they're intended to.
  • The game at it's core is a multiplayer game. How do you have two people looking at the same screen? Is it suddenly going to be split screen for the sake of the person not playing as Doomguy? Then what's the point of FPP you're just going to be looking at the other perspective since it's the one that gives you more information.
  • Why would you ever want to play a fighting game in FPP? It was a funny gimmick in Street Fighter 2 for Switch but that was pretty much the equivalent of a Wii Sports game and mostly done for the nostalgia.
  • ...How do you use a B-Air?
And that's just a couple off the top of my head.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No. There are just way too many reasons that this is a bad idea.

• Every animation needing to be redone to make sense viewed from the perpendicular plane they're intended to.
  • The game at it's core is a multiplayer game. How do you have two people looking at the same screen? Is it suddenly going to be split screen for the sake of the person not playing as Doomguy? Then what's the point of FPP you're just going to be looking at the other perspective since it's the one that gives you more information.
  • Why would you ever want to play a fighting game in FPP? It was a funny gimmick in Street Fighter 2 for Switch but that was pretty much the equivalent of a Wii Sports game and mostly done for the nostalgia.
  • ...How do you use a B-Air?
And that's just a couple off the top of my head.
It's always easy to say reasons something might not work...and that is important.

But it's always interesting to creatively construct ways something could work.

I don't see it as plausible, I just see it as the most fun way to include Doomman, for as a character, he really is not much without the concept of his games.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I mean, I agree...to an extent

When you're changing the very fundamentals of how the game is experienced then you're no longer working within the rules of the game itself, so why put it in the game? If I say I want to play tag, but we're doing it by taking turns moving chess pieces around a board then at what point are we no longer playing weird rules of tag but instead playing weird rules of chess? Sure, bend the rules to include some fun stuff, and hell break the rules when you can get away with it, but dont break the basic rules of the game.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Would it be possible to give Doomguy a moveset that actually functioned from a First Person perspective?

I think that would be mighty fun. And bring back my original terror of being five and frightened that people attacked me from behind and all I had was my fist.
I still shower with my back against the wall.
I think it could only happen during the Final Smash if the classic game's UI elements came with, similar to how I imagine I would handle B.J Blazkowicz's Final Smash were he the Id Software character. That Final Smash idea would function similar to Zero Suit Samus in Wii U/3DS or Solid Snake in Brawl. It's essential a work-around trick.

I am not the first to bring this idea up, but the idea sounds cool enough to be worth mentioning.

Last edited:

chemo

Smash Apprentice
It's always easy to say reasons something might not work...and that is important.

I don't see it as plausible, I just see it as the most fun way to include Doomman, for as a character, he really is not much without the concept of his games.
You don't have to translate every single gameplay element of a series in order for a character to work well in Smash whilst being faithful. Sure, the FPP would be removed to compensate for Smash's limitations, but other elements, such as the basic essence of movement and weaponry, could be integrated into Doomguy's moveset to the point where anyone who has experience with his home series would have a pretty good idea on how he would play in Smash's 2D environment without prior knowledge.

Besides, when most people think of DOOM, they don't think of being terrified of what could be behind them or how they could be left with only their fists; they think of bombastic action reveling in Demon-slaying fun. Plus, I don't think DOOM's original creators even intended for it to be scary in the first place.

Last edited:

BDSmileys

Smash Rookie
I signed up for this forum for the sol purpose to say, PLEASE ADD DOOM MARINE TO SMASH!!!!!! if this happens, i might cry :D!!!!!! Doom has always been my favorite game, and smash is a close second. Mixing the 2 together would be a dream come true :).

Plus seeing doom marine going berserk and punching Yoshi into oblivion would be amazing :D!!!!! ( love yoshi too btw :) )

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Recently orders have opened up for the real-life Doomguy doll

Not really related to Smash by itself, but it got me thinking, if Doomguy is added into Smash, what if the palette swaps for the Praetor Suit were based on some of the Doomguy collectibles?;

I would especially love to see the Keen, Phobos, and Ranger ones due to the mythology gags they're associated with, but most of these look so cool anyway.

Also, what if one of Doomguy's taunts in Smash 5 is fist-bumping his Doomguy doll like he does in the game?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
The fist bump he did to the figures made finding them 10 times more satisfying. It'd be cool to see them referenced in a taunt, maybe even randomizing the palette of the figure he fist bumps. For the other 2 taunts, I could also see them taking any of the multiplayer taunts from Doom 2016, maybe have a taunt of Doomguy crushing an argent energy sphere. I'd also really like to have a taunt in which Doomguy pulls out his pet rabbit Daisy from Doom 1, but thats kinda a stretch.

Morbi

Scavenger

Not really related to Smash by itself, but it got me thinking, if Doomguy is added into Smash, what if the palette swaps for the Praetor Suit were based on some of the Doomguy collectibles?;

I would especially love to see the Keen, Phobos, and Ranger ones due to the mythology gags they're associated with, but most of these look so cool anyway.

Also, what if one of Doomguy's taunts in Smash 5 is fist-bumping his Doomguy doll like he does in the game?
I sort of wanted Vault Boy in Smash once I started thinking about alternate Betheseda characters (over Dragonborn or Doom Guy), so that color swap would probably be the one I would use the most.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386

Those look awesome. I would be cool with the palette options based on these collectibles, especially the Classic, Blue, American Hero, and the references to Quake, Fallout, and Commander Keen.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You don't have to translate every single gameplay element of a series in order for a character to work well in Smash whilst being faithful. Sure, the FPP would be removed to compensate for Smash's limitations, but other elements, such as the basic essence of movement and weaponry, could be integrated into Doomguy's moveset to the point where anyone who has experience with his home series would have a pretty good idea on how he would play in Smash's 2D environment without prior knowledge.
It doesnt have to use everything from the home series, but I think the move sets end up being a lot more unique when they take more from the base games, rather than less.

Besides, when most people think of DOOM, they don't think of being terrified of what could be behind them or how they could be left with only their fists; they think of bombastic action reveling in Demon-slaying fun. Plus, I don't think DOOM's original creators even intended for it to be scary in the first place.
Ive got nothing to back this up, but Im pretty certain the premise you exactly describe, as well as the name of the series itself, implies quite a bit of terrifying and impending danger.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
It doesnt have to use everything from the home series, but I think the move sets end up being a lot more unique when they take more from the base games, rather than less.

Ive got nothing to back this up, but Im pretty certain the premise you exactly describe, as well as the name of the series itself, implies quite a bit of terrifying and impending danger.
So you admit that they don't need to take everything from Doomguy's home series, but you think they should have some sort of first-person perspective for Doomguy even though it would be impossible to implement? There are plenty of other things they could take from Doomguy's home series, like the fast-paced nature and feeling of the movement, the awesome guns, the chainsaw and Doomguy's bare fists, or even the glory kills.

The name "DOOM" was taken from a quote in the Martin Scorsese film The Color of Money, but that's all I know about the name's origin, and idk what you're saying with that premise, are you saying that DOOM is a Survival Horror game with FPS elements, or a FPS game with some horror elements? The latter of which I agree with but that doesn't necessary mean it has the same kind of tension as Resident Evil or something, far from it. It's primarily about fun, yet challenging situations involving shooting hordes of enemies and you accomplish these situations by fast movement and which big f'ing gun is best for the job (oh, and also some exploration and key-hunting but that's a different matter). Besides, pretty much any FPS game in history has this element of "tension" to varying degrees, and that can also be said about pretty much any fast-paced game in history that have some sort of challenge attached to them.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
True enough. I did like how the Doom 3 era steered more towards horror though, but that in the end made Doom lose a bit of its original identity until we got the 2nd reboot in 2016. i.e. Doom 3 and its expansions were good horror games (kinda see them now as the Dead Space of their gen before there was actually Dead Space), but not good Doom games... Kinda hate having to look at it like that, since I love all the mainline Doom entries for what they’ve done, but the return of fast paced action and no weapon reloading was indeed welcomed.

Last edited:

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, DOOM 3, while far from a bad game, is what I would call the "black sheep" of the series, so to speak. Besides, it still has a good amount of action, but it is definitely slower-paced and darker than the other DOOM games.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I will say, I do prefer Doom 3’s Hell over 2016’s. The Hell in 3 was a lot more terrifying as it was dark with lava and souls of the damned illuminating the fields covered in blood, skulls and castle ruins crawling with demons... I didn’t get that kind of intimidation with Doom 2016’s Hell which looked and felt more generic in comparison with the backgrounds, but minor gripe with the fantastic game Doom ‘16 still is. Plus I realize making you intimidated isn’t the intention, even with Hell, but rather to make you feel like a badass who can quickly adapt and get/break/shoot out of any situation. That’s kinda the soul of the series to begin with regardless of the environment.

Still hope the next game is a modern reimagining of Doom II/Hell on Earth though, since we’ve kinda had enough of Mars/space stations at this point.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So you admit that they don't need to take everything from Doomguy's home series, but you think they should have some sort of first-person perspective for Doomguy even though it would be impossible to implement? There are plenty of other things they could take from Doomguy's home series, like the fast-paced nature and feeling of the movement, the awesome guns, the chainsaw and Doomguy's bare fists, or even the glory kills.
Yes. I do believe that the most interesting thing they could implement is that perspective. It won't be done, but that would certainly be my top choice.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Yes. I do believe that the most interesting thing they could implement is that perspective. It won't be done, but that would certainly be my top choice.
Fair enough, I suppose. Even as a massive fan of DOOM and first-person games in general I just can't comprehend the concept of a "first-person" character in Smash. Sure, it would be interesting, but I can't imagine it being pulled off without being weird, unwieldy and/or irritating.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Something interesting to note regarding DOOM:

I had been researching this interview mainly for Sora, and had not known that Sakurai acknowledged DOOM's importance until now. I am currently not sure if this interview enhances Sakurai's possible interest in Doom Guy in Smash back in early 2016. But it definitely is something noteworthy.

It gets me to wonder. Would Sakurai will account the popularity of third-parties that have gained a notable following like Sans or Doom Guy in 2017-2018 when applying who to consider for DLC. Would the Smash ballot apply to DLC anymore? Would the ballot still be something of importance, considering that the ballot would be used for future Smash Bros. games. Or would it be too irrelevant for Sakurai, making him explore more what is currently demanded for Smash Switch's base roster to determine his DLC choice.

I like to think that he will use current popularity to some degree to see what choices people currently want in the Smash roster. I personally think it might be too late for Doom Guy to get in the base roster. But, there is hope that it can happen for DLC, all we have to do is campaign Doom Guy greatly during the Smash Switch speculation period. If we can make our voices heard for Doom Guy for at least some degree of popularity, then Sakurai could definitely consider the choice, with DOOM Guy possibly becoming the gateway for Western third-parties joining Smash.

If we can make the demand as high as at least 1/4 to 1/3 of general popularity for Western Smash requests, Sakurai will definitely keep note of him as an addition. We should at least campaign to the point where DOOM Guy support gets the attention of the official U.S. DOOM twitter. This is the best way we can get the character into Smash.

CAMPAIGN!

CAMPAIGN!

CAMPAIGN!

The best times we can get support rolling is during a newcomer trailer reveal where it gets casual fans to talk the most about Smash. Even better, if that newcomer trailer ends up being a Western third-party, people will be discussing more Western third-parties like Crash, Rayman, AND Doom Guy. Campaign at the right times and Doom Guy will surely rip and tear into the roster!

Does anyone have suggestions on how we can make support for Doom Guy grow in popularity?

This is the most convenient situation for all of us supporters, let us not waste the opportunity!

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386

I had been researching this interview mainly for Sora, and had not known that Sakurai acknowledged DOOM's importance until now. I am currently not sure if this interview enhances Sakurai's possible interest in Doom Guy in Smash back in early 2016. But it definitely is something noteworthy.

It gets me to wonder. Would Sakurai will account the popularity of third-parties that have gained a notable following like Sans or Doom Guy in 2017-2018 when applying who to consider for DLC. Would the Smash ballot apply to DLC anymore? Would the ballot still be something of importance, considering that the ballot would be used for future Smash Bros. games. Or would it be too irrelevant for Sakurai, making him explore more what is currently demanded for Smash Switch's base roster to determine his DLC choice.

I like to think that he will use current popularity to some degree to see what choices people currently want in the Smash roster. I personally think it might be too late for Doom Guy to get in the base roster. But, there is hope that it can happen for DLC, all we have to do is campaign Doom Guy greatly during the Smash Switch speculation period. If we can make our voices heard for Doom Guy for at least some degree of popularity, then Sakurai could definitely consider the choice, with DOOM Guy possibly becoming the gateway for Western third-parties joining Smash.

If we can make the demand as high as at least 1/4 to 1/3 of general popularity for Western Smash requests, Sakurai will definitely keep note of him as an addition. We should at least campaign to the point where DOOM Guy support gets the attention of the official U.S. DOOM twitter. This is the best way we can get the character into Smash.

CAMPAIGN!

CAMPAIGN!

CAMPAIGN!

The best times we can get support rolling is during a newcomer trailer reveal where it gets casual fans to talk the most about Smash. Even better, if that newcomer trailer ends up being a Western third-party, people will be discussing more Western third-parties like Crash, Rayman, AND Doom Guy. Campaign at the right times and Doom Guy will surely rip and tear into the roster!

Does anyone have suggestions on how we can make support for Doom Guy grow in popularity?

This is the most convenient situation for all of us supporters, let us not waste the opportunity!
My first thought is to ask id Software if they would be cool with the idea of having Doom Guy or any of their protagonists in Smash. If they say yes, then things can get rolling from there. If they say no, then there's not much that can be done.

Second, take Bethesda's publishing wing and id Software and Bethesda's parent company, Zenimax, into account as well. They can influence the decisions on things, too.

Mostly, be well behaved. Nothing turns off potential fanbase expansion like a toxic community.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529

CAMPAIGN!

CAMPAIGN!

CAMPAIGN!

That was a VERY interesting find. If we want to make Doom Guy a popular candidate, here's some food for thought:

1. Talk to the big boys
We obviously should do what Blue Sword Edge suggested and contact the harbingers of DOOM (Zenimax, Bethesda, Id), but also contact Nintendo of America via Twitter or any other website where they take fan feedback regularly. Mention how much DOOM as series means to you, the game industry as a whole, and of course Nintendo. Also, if you have the money to do so, pick up Doom on Switch. Since money talks, both Bethesda AND Nintendo will know that Doom is something that is enjoyed by the Nintendo crowd. Give it a positive review on the eshop.

Rumors are rumors, but rumors are floating around that a new DOOM game is gonna be revealed at E3. If this turns out true, request a Switch version heavily if it's not already announced by then.

2. Rip and Tear the Smash Scene
If anyone can, make some fan art/tributes/remixes/etc for Doomguy in Smash. It can be funny, badass, a chart of your own custom moveset, whatever, but it will help show that were serious, and not just a few oddballs that want some random character in Smash Bros. Mention to those not sold on Doomguys inclusion about the rich history the seires has with Nintendo, spanning decades and several systems. Normalize talk of Doomguy in speculation, like how Rayman and Crash are normal characters to speculate over now.

I've noticed that there are very few videos on Youtube about Doomguy in Smash. Let's change that. Make videos talking about how much we want him, debunk some arguments, provide music, movesets, etc. If we can do some networking, we may find a popular social media personality that generally covers DOOM, Smash Bros or Nintendo that is behind our idea, and get them to help spread the word. Don't go door to door begging for campaign sponsors, but comment "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if Doomguy was in Smash?" at an appropriate time and see where it goes.

Maybe we can make an "official" Doomguy for smash twitter, like many others did for other characters back in the ballot days. The K. Rool twitter is an example of just how successful they can get. This account would retweet fan art, interact with fans and companies, and would be a platform to potentially get our voices heard at their loudest.

And most importantly, the other thing Blue Sword Edge mentioned...

3. PLAY NICE!!

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
My first thought is to ask id Software if they would be cool with the idea of having Doom Guy or any of their protagonists in Smash. If they say yes, then things can get rolling from there. If they say no, then there's not much that can be done.

Second, take Bethesda's publishing wing and id Software and Bethesda's parent company, Zenimax, into account as well. They can influence the decisions on things, too.
Given the surge in popularity Banjo got from a simple "yeah, he's possible" type response, I would definitely recommend name dropping Doom itself when you ask.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I am not the first to think of this, but would Commander Keen make for a good assist trophy? I briefly heard about this while talking to someone outside of the boards.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, if Doomguy gets in, Mr. Billy Blaze needs some sort of cameo or representation, whether it be an assist trophy, a palette swap for Doomguy, or even just a regular collectable trophy. Plus, Keen actually has an interesting history related to Nintendo; as work on his series partially stems from a port of Super Mario Bros. 3 to MS-DOS that Id proposed to Nintendo (though Nintendo obviously rejected the idea, they were impressed with the prototype Id cooked up), and Keen himself got a Game Boy Color game in 2001.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Doomguy could bring quite a bit of classic Id references, since they were kinda the kings of PC gaming back then, sorta like how Pac Man brought Namco arcade references with him since Namco was the king of the arcade. Keen, Wolf 3D (and maybe even Quake) could be represented by palette swaps for Doomguy, trophies, maybe an Id Software melody, or maybe even Smash Run/story mode enemies. The focus shouldn't stray too far from Doom, obviously, and were never seeing Mecha Hitler, or 90% of the Quake enemies, or anyhing outlandish like that, but it would be neat to see the giant rats or generic soldiers from the somewhat infamous SNES version of Wolf 3D.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I see no chance of Doomguy being added to the base roster but a post-launch DLC campaign might work.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here's hoping it gets a Switch version!

Also, Quake Champions (which has Doomguy as a character) is free to download for the next week, and from the sounds of it, you can keep playing it after that period.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
This E3 just proved that Doom as a franchise does indeed have a future.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I was expecting Halo 6 by this point, but didn’t think Doom ‘16 would get a followup this soon. Needless to say I’m impressed. Doomguy won’t be eating Chief’s dust again anytime soon.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking, while it's probably too late to consider, I wonder if Doomguy could bring anything from DOOM Eternal with him. Perhaps an assist trophy of the new Arch-Vile? An alt costume based on his new armor design? Hell on Earth stage? While all of those are probably even less likely to see than Doomguy getting in at all, especially at launch, I would be all for it.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I've been thinking, while it's probably too late to consider, I wonder if Doomguy could bring anything from DOOM Eternal with him. Perhaps an assist trophy of the new Arch-Vile? An alt costume based on his new armor design? Hell on Earth stage? While all of those are probably even less likely to see than Doomguy getting in at all, especially at launch, I would be all for it.
If the Doomguy is DLC, it's possible that he could bring Doom Eternal content with him were DLC to be considered. I wouldn't say it's likely considering the event the Doomguy does get in, but not out of the question.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
When it comes to third-party characters in smash, I have very simple criteria:

1. Are they big, iconic, and highly influential to video games on the whole?

2. Has their series appeared on a Nintendo console at least once?

If the answers to both those questions are yes, I'm on board with their inclusion. Doomguy certainly meets those requirements, so you can mark me down as a supporter.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Man, the new Arch-Vile is gonna give me nightmares at first, I can feel it. Curious as to whatever other demons or monsters might be reintroduced as well, although for Smash, nothing would beat having the Cyberdemon as AT material or something.

ryuu seika

Smash Master

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I have a hard time seeing Doom Guy working in smash. but that said. It would be kinda sick if it Happened >:D

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just wanna see Doomguy golfswing a shotgun knocking Mario into outerspace.

I support Doomguy! A very important character to gaming and he's been on more Nintendo consoles than Cloud Strife and Cloud is in so.......

I can see him as DLC if he's not in the base roster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom