• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Sniper Maxter

Smash Cadet
So I gave the Wiki a lookover since I wasn't really getting any answers and I put together a list of what I think to be the censor friendly weapons. Let me know if this is comprehensive or if there's an argument that can be made for anything not here. Note that I deliberately skipped over any of the Doom 4 multiplayer stuff.

Doom 4 Pistol
Rocket Launcher
Gauss Cannon
Plasma Gun/Rifle
Grenade
Chainsaw
Unmaker
BFG 9000

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
So I gave the Wiki a lookover since I wasn't really getting any answers and I put together a list of what I think to be the censor friendly weapons. Let me know if this is comprehensive or if there's an argument that can be made for anything not here. Note that I deliberately skipped over any of the Doom 4 multiplayer stuff.

Doom 4 Pistol
Rocket Launcher
Gauss Cannon
Plasma Gun/Rifle
Grenade
Chainsaw
Unmaker
BFG 9000
Seems like a good assortment of censor friendly weapons. Have you considered the Soul Cube?

Sniper Maxter

Smash Cadet
Seems like a good assortment of censor friendly weapons. Have you considered the Soul Cube?
I figured I'd leave it off since the Doom 3 marine is supposed to be a different guy, but it's not like composite characters are new to Smash and Id already slapped them together in Quake Champions. Still, it's kind of a weird weapon and I'm not really sure what to do with it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Soul Cube may work as a Final Smash but I think the BIG FLIPPING GUN 9000 works better for that.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I love the Soul Cube for what it is as a sentient artifact that kills the strongest of Hell’s evil... It also has healing properties where it gives the player health, how much depending on how strong the demon is.

That said, it would still be easier to stick to basics with the BFG for a FS.

Sniper Maxter

Smash Cadet
I've managed to cobble together a moveset using those 8 weapons, complete with attributes and a gimmick...except for one move. I have an idea for a neutral B, but it's the Super Shotgun and I'm not really sure if there's an argument to be made for putting it into Smash without violating the "no realistic guns" rule, which is a shame since I'm told it's pretty iconic. For now, I'll just leave it on the moveset until something better gets thought up. I'm open to suggestions by the way.

Overview

Doomguy is a hard hitting lower heavyweight character who excels at mid-range combat and ground mobility, with high dashing and walking speeds just shy of some of the Top 10 fastest characters in the game and a Mega Man-esque moveset full of projectile attacks, many of which boast extremely effective combinations of speed, range and power. The few melee attacks in his arsenal hit just as hard as his projectiles.

His weaknesses lie in his poor aerial mobility and recovery, as he is a fast faller with mediocre air speed, low air acceleration and only a single highly vulnerable, predictable recovery move. His gimmick, the Ammo System, is also arguably a weaknesses, as it slowly deprives him of the majority of his moveset and inevitably forces him into using his close range moves which, while powerful, tend to be slow, unsafe, and lacking in knockback compared to his ranged ones.

Ammo

As drawback to the sheer effectiveness of Doomguy’s ranged options, all of Doomguy’s ranged attacks, save the two that use the pistol, have a hidden ammo count similar to Robin’s limited Tomes or Levin Swords. Each weapon has it’s own individual pool of ammo and moves that use the same weapon share ammo with each other. The stronger moves tend to have low ammo counts, at 4 to 5 shots, while the weaker ones tend to have higher ones, about 7 to 8. Doomguy’s pistol is unique in that it is his only ranged option with unlimited ammo. However, it lacks effectiveness and requires around a second of cooldown between attacks.

Upon successfully landing one of a select few melee attacks, all opponents damaged by the attack release one ammo pickup, which Doomguy automatically absorbs. Each ammo pickup replenishes ammunition for all weapons by one. As such, Doomguy must inevitably move in to land one of his slow, unsafe close ranged attack in order to keep up his ammo supply and continue using his faster, safer long ranged ones. As his melee also have weak knockback growth, he also needs a supply of ammunition to reliably finish off stocks. Yeah, it's kind of a reverse of the Doom 4 Glory Kill system, but I made it this way for balance reasons and to keep Doomguy focused on his projectile game.

Specials

B-Super Shotgun-Press B to take out the Super Shotgun and use the analog stick to aim in any direction. Release to fire. Simply tapping the button will cause it to automatically fire straight forward. Little starting or ending lag and boasts massive power at close range, but has a low ammo count and limited power at a distance. The Copy ability version automatically discards when empty like Robin's Thunder tome.

>B-Plasma Rifle-Release a volley of about 5 plasma rifle shots. Not the most powerful of Doomguy’s guns, but has good speed, range, and a high ammo count. Each use automatically fires off the five shot volley and each volley counts for one ammo, with very little cooldown between volleys, so you can get a lot off of this. Can be angle up or down as Doomguy fires. Shares ammo with back aerial.

^B-BFG 9000-Take a quick moment to charge and then fire off a massively powerful projectile that explodes on collision. On the ground, this move angles upwards, but the projectile is large enough to pick up standing medium height characters from the ground at point black. In the air, Doomguy fires this move straight downward and propels himself into the air with the recoil. His falling speed slightly slows during the charge. This move offers no upper hitbox or protection, making Doomguy’s recovery very vulnerable. However, it does not put him into helpless state, though you have to wait out a rather large endlag before you can act again.

vB-Explosive Barrel (thanks Shinhed!)-Spawn an explosive barrel and slam it down in front of your feet, or toss it below yourself in the air. The grounded version creates a weak shockwave as Doomguy slams it into the ground, whereas the aerial version works similarly to Sonic’s spring. Once spawned, the barrel works like a less powerful version of the Blast Box item. It can be picked up and thrown by any character. Sufficient damage or a fire type attack will cause it to explode, damaging anyone nearby. Only one barrel can be spawned at a time.

Normals

A-Beat the opponent with your gun. The quickest of Doomguy’s melee attacks, though also the weakest and shortest range and still not lightning fast.

AA-Stick your leg way out and kick the opponent, similar to Ganondorf’s >A. Longer range and more power than the first hit, but bigger endlag. Recovers ammo.

>A-Doomguy fires off three shots from his Pistol. Can also be used while walking like Mega Man’s Mega Buster. However, the shots lack in range and power and Doomguy must wait out a 1 second cooldown between each volley. The Plasma Rifle basically does everything this does better, but it has infinite ammo, so it’s a good last resort.

^A-Doomguy unleashes a devastating uppercut. Covers a similar angle to Ryu's up smash. Recovers ammo.

vA-Lob a grenade forward from your low position that explodes on collision or after traveling a set distance. Has a medium ammo pool and shares it with Uair. Deals fire type damage.

>Smash-Jut forward with the Unmaker and release a torrent of shots. The Unmaker has a hitbox during the jut that knocks opponents into position for the following attack. Extremely powerful, multi-hitting and mid-range, but has low ammo count.

^Smash-Knock opponents upward with a swing of the Gauss Cannon and fire a shot into the air. Moderately powerful with long range and a medium ammo count.

vSmash-Fire two rockets, one to the front and back, angled slightly down so they hit the ground a medium distance from Doomguy. If they miss the ground, they travel somewhat farther and explode on collision or after short amount of time. Moderately powerful and has a medium ammo count. Deals fire type damage.

Dash Attack-Take a big stab forward with the chainsaw. Big startup, but hits multiple times for high damage. Recovers one ammo if any of the hits land, but not per hit.

Aerials

Nair-Make a big, spinning swing with the chainsaw, swinging twice in front and once in back. The front swings are angled slightly downward, while the back swing angles slightly up. Recovers ammo.

Fair-Release a charged shot from the pistol straight forward. Somewhat slow and weak compared to Doomguy’s other projectiles, but has infinite ammo. Fires off just fast enough for Doomguy to perform from a short hop, but not fast enough to avoid the landing lag.

Uair-Lob a grenade high into the air, which will explode on collision or after a set amount of time. Has medium ammo and shares with crouch attack. Deals fire type damage.

Dair-Fire two rockets downward in an upside down “V” shape, which will explode on collision or of after a set period of time. Has a medium ammo pool and shares with down smash.

Bair-Release a scattered volley of Plasma Rifle shots. Shares a high ammo pool with forward special.

Throws
All throws recover 1 ammo.

Pummel-Beats the opponent with the butt of his gun.

F-Throw-Sweeps the opponent's leg and then punches them through the air.

B-Throw-Lifts the opponent by the neck behind himself and them punches them away.

D-Throw-Slams the opponent onto the ground face first and stomps on them.

U-Throw-Grabs the opponent by the leg and flings them upward.

Final Smash

First Person Shooter-Doomguy jumps into the air and the original Doom HUD appears over the screen. You get 12 seconds to fire off 10 powerful shots from the original, sprited BFG 9000, each shot dealing approximately 20% damage and massive knockback.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I've managed to cobble together a moveset using those 8 weapons, complete with attributes and a gimmick...except for one move. I have an idea for a neutral B, but it's the Super Shotgun and I'm not really sure if there's an argument to be made for putting it into Smash without violating the "no realistic guns rule" which is a shame since I'm told it's pretty iconic. For now, I'll just leave it on the moveset until something better gets thought up. I'm open to suggestions by the way.

Overview

Doomguy is a hard hitting lower heavyweight character who excels at mid-range combat and ground mobility, with high dashing and walking speeds just shy of some of the Top 10 fastest characters in the game and a Mega Man-esque moveset full of projectile attacks, many of which boast extremely effective combinations of speed, range and power. The few melee attacks in his arsenal hit just as hard as his projectiles.

His weaknesses lie in his poor aerial mobility and recovery, as he is a fast faller with mediocre air speed, low air acceleration and only a single highly vulnerable, predictable recovery move. His gimmick, the Ammo System, is also arguably a weaknesses, as it slowly deprives him of the majority of his moveset and inevitably forces him into using his close range moves which, while powerful, tend to be slow, unsafe, and lacking in knockback compared to his ranged ones.

Ammo

As drawback to the sheer effectiveness of Doomguy’s ranged options, all of Doomguy’s ranged attacks, save the two that use the pistol, have a hidden ammo count similar to Robin’s limited Tomes or Levin Swords. Each weapon has it’s own individual pool of ammo and moves that use the same weapon share ammo with each other. The stronger moves tend to have low ammo counts, at 4 to 5 shots, while the weaker ones tend to have higher ones, about 7 to 8. Doomguy’s pistol is unique in that it is his only ranged option with unlimited ammo. However, it is lacks effectiveness and requires around a second of cooldown between attacks.

Upon successfully landing one of a select few melee attacks, all opponents damaged by the attack release one ammo pickup, which Doomguy automatically absorbs. Each ammo pickup replenishes ammunition for all weapons by one. As such, Doomguy must inevitably move in to land one of his slow, unsafe close ranged attack in order to keep up his ammo supply and continue using his faster, safer long ranged ones. As his melee also have weak knockback growth, he also needs a supply of ammunition to reliably finish off stocks. Yeah, it's kind of a reverse of the Doom 4 Glory Kill system, but I made it this way for balance reasons and to keep Doomguy focused on his projectile game.

Specials

B-Super Shotgun-Press B to take out the Super Shotgun and use the analog stick to aim in any direction. Release to fire. Simply tapping the button will cause it to automatically fire straight forward. Little starting or ending lag and boasts massive power at close range, but has a low ammo count and limited power at a distance. The Copy ability version automatically discards when empty like Robin;s Thunder tome.

>B-Plasma Rifle-Release a volley of about 5 plasma rifle shots. Not the most powerful of Doomguy’s guns, but has good speed, range, and a high ammo count. Each use automatically fires off the five shot volley and each volley counts for one ammo, with very little cooldown between volleys, so you can get a lot off of this. Can be angle up or down as Doomguy fires. Shares ammo with back aerial.

^B-BFG 9000-Take a quick moment to charge and then fire off a massively powerful projectile that explodes on collision. On the ground, this move angles upwards, but the projectile is large enough to pick up standing medium height characters from the ground at point black. In the air, Doomguy fires this move straight downward and propels himself into the air with the recoil. His falling speed slightly slows during the charge. This move offers no upper hitbox or protection, making Doomguy’s recovery very vulnerable. However, it does not put him into helpless state, though you have to wait out a rather large endlag before you can act again.

vB-Explosive Barrel (thanks Shinhed!)-Spawn an explosive barrel and slam it down in front of your feet, or toss it below yourself in the air. The grounded version creates a weak shockwave as Doomguy slams it into the ground, whereas the aerial version works similarly to Sonic’s spring. Once spawned, the barrel works like a less powerful version of the Blast Box item. It can be picked up and thrown by any character. Sufficient damage or a fire type attack will cause it to explode, damaging anyone nearby. Only one barrel can be spawned at a time.

Normals

A-Beat the opponent with your gun. The quickest of Doomguy’s melee attacks, though also the weakest and shortest range and still not lightning fast.

AA-Stick your leg way out and kick the opponent, similar to Ganondorf’s >A. Longer range and more power than the first hit, but bigger endling. Recovers ammo.

>A-Doomguy fires off three shots from his Pistol. Can also be used while walking like Mega Man’s Mega Buster. However, the shots lack in range and power and Doomguy must wait out a 1 second cooldown between each volley. The Plasma Rifle basically does everything this does better, but it has infinite ammo, so it’s a good last resort.

^A-Doomguy unleashes a devastating uppercut. Covers a similar angle to Ryu's up smash. Recovers ammo.

vA-Lob a grenade forward from your low position that explodes on collision or after traveling a set distance. Has a medium ammo pool and shares it with Uair. Deals fire type damage.

>Smash-Jut forward with the Unmaker and release a torrent of shots. The Unmaker has a hitbox during the jut that knocks opponents into position for the following attack. Extremely powerful, multi-hitting and mid-range, but has low ammo count.

^Smash-Knock opponents upward with a swing of the Gauss Cannon and fire a shot into the air. Moderately powerful with long range and a medium ammo count.

vSmash-Fire two rockets, one to the front and back, angled slightly down so they hit the ground a medium distance from Doomguy. If they miss the ground, they travel somewhat farther and explode on collision or after short amount of time. Moderately powerful and has a medium ammo count. Deals fire type damage.

Dash Attack-Take a big stab forward with the chainsaw. Big startup, but hits multiple times for high damage. Recovers one ammo if any of the hits land, but not per hit.

Aerials

Nair-Make a big, spinning swing with the chainsaw, swinging twice in front and once in back. The front swings are angled slightly downward, while the back swing angles slightly up. Recovers ammo.

Fair-Release are charged shot from the pistol straight forward. Somewhat slow and weak compared to Doomguy’s other projectiles, but has infinite ammo. Fires off just fast enough for Doomguy to perform from a short hop, but not fast enough to avoid the landing lag.

Uair-Lob a grenade high into the air, which will explode on collision or after a set amount of time. Has medium ammo and shares with crouch attack. Deals fire type damage.

Dair-Fire two rockets downward in an upside down “V” shape, which will explode on collision or of after a set period of time. Has a medium ammo pool and shares with down smash.

Bair-Release a scattered volley of Plasma Rifle shots. Shares a high ammo pool with forward special.

Throws

I’ll edit these in later after a bit more research, but the pummel is beating with the butt of the gun and the throws are all Doom 4 Glory Kills, all of which do good damage and recover one ammo.

Final Smash

First Person Shooter-Doomguy jumps into the air and the original Doom HUD appears over the screen. You get 12 seconds to fire off 10 powerful shots from the original, sprited BFG 9000, each shot dealing approximately 20% damage and massive knockback.
I love the retro aspect of the Final Smash. It's a nice touch to consider the original game.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I have to say, now that Master Chief is a distinct possibility due to the Halo/Gears/Banjo skins on Minecraft for Switch, Doomguy seems less exciting to me.

I mean yeah, I gotta give him credit for being the first hero of FPS games, and he's got a pretty action-packed repertoire. But I really like Chief, first and foremost for the one advantage he has over Doomguy, which is... a proper name.

Sniper Maxter

Smash Cadet
I have to say, now that Master Chief is a distinct possibility due to the Halo/Gears/Banjo skins on Minecraft for Switch, Doomguy seems less exciting to me.

I mean yeah, I gotta give him credit for being the first hero of FPS games, and he's got a pretty action-packed repertoire. But I really like Chief, first and foremost for the one advantage he has over Doomguy, which is... a proper name.
Can't say I agree.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Well...why not have both? Doom revolutionized the FPS genre while Halo revolutionized the console FPS shooter, so seeing these two clash in Smash would be the stuff of dreams!

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Well...why not have both? Doom revolutionized the FPS genre while Halo revolutionized the console FPS shooter, so seeing these two clash in Smash would be the stuff of dreams!
Because you know as well as I do that only one of them is going to get in. And if I have to pick one I'd have to go with Chief.

I mean yeah, ideally, why not have everyone? Why not have all of Nintendo's protagonists, some new protagonists and villains from Sega, some more characters from Namco and Konami and Capcom and all of them? But you know that's not gonna happen. Only so many can fit.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
With all the games of both series I’ve played through and through, I like Doom and Halo about the same, even though I grew up with Doom more. Tough to choose from for me in hindsight... I mean vehicles is about the only thing Halo has over Doom for me at this point, as both have excellent gameplay and lore.

I’d be fine with either Doomguy or Chief but as previously expressed, Doomguy feels like he’d interest me more from a moveset perspective with all the weapon material exclusive to him that he has to work with. Should go without saying too that Doom 2016 as a game on the Switch along with the series’ previous history on Nintendo platforms has a bit more going for it than just some Minecraft skin. :p I do wish the initial attempt to have Halo on a Nintendo system had worked though :/, but I guess MS wasn’t willing to play ball at the time like they’re starting to now. Huh...

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386

B.J Blazkowicz of Id Software's Wolfenstein games predates the Doom protagonist(s) and Master Chief, sorry about this. As for names, the Doomguy/Doom Slayer was originally supposed to be an avatar of the player, but thanks to multiple continuities, we may have a definite name. That name could be William Blazkowicz III, after his great-great-grandfather, William "B.J" Blazkowicz, from the Wolfenstein games. As Ridley_Prime said, Doomguy/Doom Slayer does have a history with Nintendo, which makes things easier for possible discussions.

Doomguy's got an interesting arsenal to me. He has some punches, pistols, a chainsaw, two shotguns, a chain gun, a plasma rifle, rocket launcher, and a big plasma gun called the BFG 9000. If we mix continuities, we got the Soul Cube and Grabber from Doom 3, Unmaker from Doom 64, and the multiplayer weapons in Doom (2016). If you want to count the currently in development Quake Champions, both the Doomguy/Doom Slayer and B.J Blazkowicz can both use weapons from that game, too. If you look at Doom's history (even the RPG games on older mobile phones), there's plenty to offer on the weapons and equipment that could make him stand out.

Overall, I'd be okay with John (Master Chief), B.J Blazkowicz, or even the Doomguy/Doom Slayer. Furthermore, it's ultimately if the devs who own these characters want them in Smash, enough fans want them, how well said character are known in some cases, and if/how said characters would work in Smash's environment. It also helps to standout in comparison to other potential characters.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The thing with Chief, is he would have to have plenty of non-spartan weapons to have a more interesting moveset such as energy sword, but you may as well have Arbiter then since that’s his specialty. Even after Killer Instinct, I wouldn’t be fatigued with him making another fighting game guest appearance over Chief, but I guess that’s a different story.

Doomguy on the other hand, pretty much all the weapons in Doom are unique/exclusive to him since he’s the only playable protagonist.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Switch version of Doom was updated, and one particularly nice addition was motion aiming.

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/names2hard4you/status/965773542041120769

Not sure how well it works, but I was planning on trying the Ultra Violence difficulty once the game was patched, and given how enjoyable Resident Evil 4 and the Metroid Prime games were thanks to motion aiming, this is more than enough of a reason for me to jump back in.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Well guys, here comes the next Smash game. Let's if our Doom Marine/Doom Slayer gets in.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
I'm not usually a fan of third-party representatives, Super Smash Bros is a realm of video game icons, and Doom's impact on the gaming world is pretty hard to ignore. Therefore, if for no other reason than that, I would be pleased if you folks would kindly include me in your support of this character.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am totally up for Doom Guy, as long as he has his rip-and-tear move. The move defines the character. It doesn't have to be bloody stuff, maybe just stun the character with paralyzed movement for a few seconds and then you will get a character that will fit very well into Smash gameplay.

Sniper Maxter

Smash Cadet
Instead of attempting this again and embarrassing myself, I'll just leave an imgur link this time. Also, I finally got around to adding throws to that moveset I posted a while ago. They're not all that special or anything, but whatever.
https://imgur.com/xLrAeml

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for Doomguy. I never played the 2016 one so I'm naturally inclined toward the classic 90s games for representation. I don't see it happening because of Japan but he's a great choice as a "gaming icon" third party. Few characters deserve it as much as him to my totally biased mind.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I'm all for Doomguy. I never played the 2016 one so I'm naturally inclined toward the classic 90s games for representation. I don't see it happening because of Japan but he's a great choice as a "gaming icon" third party. Few characters deserve it as much as him to my totally biased mind.
As of this post, I don't have Doom (2016), but I'd like to get the game. If the Doomguy/Doom Slayer does get in, I am personally hoping for a mix of continuities for a moveset, not just 90's or just the 2016 game.

BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 Out of curiosity, would you describe how the "rip and tear" move(s) would work with Smash?

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I’d definitely recommend getting Doom 2016 on the Switch then. Would have already if I didn’t already have it on another platform... Well there’s plenty games on the system to consider regardless, but Doom is a flower out of the garden of Switch ports.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I made a Doomguy thread too, but I didn't see there already was one.

Go Doomguy!

dg.png

Morbi

Scavenger
Not that this is not one of the greatest ideas ever, but I am not sure a Switch port is enough to get someone of this nature in. I would love to be wrong, more than you know. I hate ideas like these, because knowing we will never get anything as great as this depresses me a bit.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Not that this is not one of the greatest ideas ever, but I am not sure a Switch port is enough to get someone of this nature in. I would love to be wrong, more than you know. I hate ideas like these, because knowing we will never get anything as great as this depresses me a bit.
The way I see it, Doom's legacy speaks for itself, and is more than enough to give Doomguy the recognition needed to vie for a spot in Smash. The Switch port isn't the primary reason to add the Doomguy; instead, it helps to further bolster his chances.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I’d definitely recommend getting Doom 2016 on the Switch then. Would have already if I didn’t already have it on another platform... Well there’s plenty games on the system to consider regardless, but Doom is a flower out of the garden of Switch ports.
It is one of my plans to do so. It would be cool if the classic Doom and Doom II got an official Switch port considering the games legacy.

Morbi

Scavenger
The way I see it, Doom's legacy speaks for itself, and is more than enough to give Doomguy the recognition needed to vie for a spot in Smash. The Switch port isn't the primary reason to add the Doomguy; instead, it helps to further bolster his chances.
I am not even sure that I truly want it. Selfishly, sure. But the essence of the character would be ripped and torn without the precious gore. Scorpion is one of my favorite video-game characters and if I had the chance to put him in Smash, I would. That being said, I more or less would have to question "should I?" Because I want to see him melt faces and dismember people.

I do agree, the legacy is there. However, would Smash honor that legacy?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I am not even sure that I truly want it. Selfishly, sure. But the essence of the character would be ripped and torn without the precious gore. Scorpion is one of my favorite video-game characters and if I had the chance to put him in Smash, I would. That being said, I more or less would have to question "should I?" Because I want to see him melt faces and dismember people.

I do agree, the legacy is there. However, would Smash honor that legacy?
Honestly, I'd think they would stick to the gore of the first Doom game rather than the reboot. I mean, if Doom Slayer were to be in the game, he would have to be a mix of every Doom game in history.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
If Bethesda and Nintendo see fit to agree to put a rep in from a Bethesda game I'd like to see the Doom Slayer (most likely name, IMO) get in! With the success of DOOM on Switch and his moveset potential + his iconic status as a gaming icon I think he'd be a perfect fit, especially if they can keep him true to his games without getting too violent with him alá Brawl's Snake. My main worry is that if there is one and only one Bethesda character they might go with the Dragonborn seeing as Skyrim seems to be more popular or at least recognized by the average person, and it also got a Switch port.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Just realized, the collectable dolls in Doom 2016 could be artstyle inspiration for what a Doomguy hat for Kirby would look like...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just realized, the collectable dolls in Doom 2016 could be artstyle inspiration for what a Doomguy hat for Kirby would look like...

If Doomguy gets in, I really want that to be one of his taunts, or an idle animation, or something.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
As of this post, I don't have Doom (2016), but I'd like to get the game. If the Doomguy/Doom Slayer does get in, I am personally hoping for a mix of continuities for a moveset, not just 90's or just the 2016 game.

BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 Out of curiosity, would you describe how the "rip and tear" move(s) would work with Smash?
Did not see this tag. I'm not that good at explaining Smash gameplay anymore, but maybe Doom Guy could rip the skin out of characters where their bodies turn to white and are stunned temporarily for a while, giving Doom Guy an open opportunity to use his gun arsenal. The bad part is that the range is extremely bad, kind like Snakes grab. I imagine Doom Guy as a slow character with a horrible open recovery, but with a range of powerful special moves. Basically, he's a riskier Duck Hunt Dog.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Did not see this tag. I'm not that good at explaining Smash gameplay anymore, but maybe Doom Guy could rip the skin out of characters where their bodies turn to white and are stunned temporarily for a while, giving Doom Guy an open opportunity to use his gun arsenal. The bad part is that the range is extremely bad, kind like Snakes grab. I imagine Doom Guy as a slow character with a horrible open recovery, but with a range of powerful special moves. Basically, he's a riskier Duck Hunt Dog.
Your idea could work, but I don't know if it would pass any ratings concerns on the ripping part, leaning towards unsafe territory. I was thinking more akin to a running and gunning style as in the classic Doom as to bring in an aggressive projectile game that prefers to avoid damage. I don't know who best would fit that description

I really need to play all the Doom games I currently have and watch some videos on ones I don't have. That way, I can come up with something that could feel like it can work in Smash. I like the idea of bringing in aspects from multiple Doom games as I stated earlier posts.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
- Popularized the FPS genre.
- Was installed on more computers than Windows 95. In fact, it was the #1 most installed software total in 1995.
- Considered a classic, original games still hold up wonderfully today. Tons of source ports, mods, and a sizable community still making content for the games.
- Was on the SNES & GBA, has a great exclusive game in the form of Doom 64 that's completely canon. Most recently on the Nintendo Switch.

Yeah, I need Doomguy, like, right now. Support!

Just give me the option to use the Quake 3 or classic outfit.
It's an unpopular opinion, I know, but I just genuinely don't like how the praetor suit looks. At least in comparison to the old one, it feels incredibly overdetailed. I have the same issue with Halo 4/5.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
- Popularized the FPS genre.
- Was installed on more computers than Windows 95. In fact, it was the #1 most installed software total in 1995.
- Considered a classic, original games still hold up wonderfully today. Tons of source ports, mods, and a sizable community still making content for the games.
- Was on the SNES & GBA, has a great exclusive game in the form of Doom 64 that's completely canon. Most recently on the Nintendo Switch.

Yeah, I need Doomguy, like, right now. Support!

Just give me the option to use the Quake 3 or classic outfit.
It's an unpopular opinion, I know, but I just genuinely don't like how the praetor suit looks. At least in comparison to the old one, it feels incredibly overdetailed. I have the same issue with Halo 4/5.
Glad you're on board for this. Nice bonus to mention the source ports. As for the outfit choices, I'd like to see multiple choices rather just palettes for our favorite Doom Marine.

Top Bottom