• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
better practice up. I've been trying for R-ECEs

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
As a random note, I found R-ECEs to be a lot simpler once I began thinking of the analog execution as a half circle (from down to Up) away from the ledge.
Then it's just a matter of timing the B press.

Bones0

Smash Legend
What are you talking about? Not trying to be a ****, but I feel like you've said multiple things that have been blatantly false or at the very least misleading...

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
What are you talking about? Not trying to be a ****, but I feel like you've said multiple things that have been blatantly false or at the very least misleading...
I meant to phrase that as a question; I was pretty tired. I had noticed that a lot of people were talking about Yoshi's reduced shieldstun, and, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you all meant, but it didn't seem like it when I tested it.

I hope that clarified what I was asking

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think it's like this:
- He never has shield stun.
- He doesn't have hitlag if he's hit during the first 7 frames.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, idk why you're confused about different moves doing different amounts of shield stun. That's how it works for every character. I think you might just be mistaking hitlag for shield stun though.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I don't think he does, if he did then his shield drop shouldn't be as effective as it is. . . If he does have any it is really reduced. I'm not too sure either way, but I'm pretty sure it is gone/marginal.

leffen

Smash Champion
Shield dropping is just really fast.

Just try it out, jeez. Get hit by a stomp while light shielding and then try to shield grab the first frame after you start moving. It won't work

Bones0

Smash Legend
Maybe his hard shield doesn't have stun while his light shield does.

Someone with AR just needs to use these values and compare them to what shield stun Yoshi has when hit by the same moves. Maybe I'll try to dust off my AR, but it usually doesn't work on my Cube...

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I know he has it while light shielding. Were we only talking about light shielding? If so my bad. Shield dropping is 5 frames iirc, so it is slower than fox jumping oos. . . so if you have both Yoshi and Fox getting hit by the same move, Yoshi shouldn't be able to drop faster than fox can jump . . . I will probably be able to try this tomorrow.

Also, I'm going to see how good I can have my Falco be after 1 week of practice. His tech skill is so easy. . . and he is just so good. . . we'll see what happens?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
shield drop is 14-16 frames. 5 frames would be nuts if he didn't have shield stun

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Don't insult me, shield dropping is much faster than 5 frames.

Edit: Ripple, way to sneak your post in before mine. Anyway, I think "shield drop" refers to dropping through a platform, not letting go of shield (in this case).

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I thought shield drops get you through the platform in 2 frames. I highly doubt it's above 5.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I know he has it while light shielding. Were we only talking about light shielding? If so my bad. Shield dropping is 5 frames iirc, so it is slower than fox jumping oos. . . so if you have both Yoshi and Fox getting hit by the same move, Yoshi shouldn't be able to drop faster than fox can jump . . . I will probably be able to try this tomorrow.

Also, I'm going to see how good I can have my Falco be after 1 week of practice. His tech skill is so easy. . . and he is just so good. . . we'll see what happens?
Shield dropping only takes 1 frame. Unless you are talking about unshielding, in which case just say unshielding because everyone says shield dropping for dropping through platforms from shield.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
I toggled Internet explorer's "Turn white while in Shield stun" AR code, and Yoshi turns white (well, a white Yoshi-like bubble where he would be appears).

Edit: When you Shai drop (actual term for a shield drop - a shield drop is when you let go of your shield) through a platform, you start falling frame 2 after your input, and can immediately upair.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I thought they included hitlag in with shield stun though? It might just be hitlag. Can you count the frames? See how many frames the white appears for when Yoshi shields an unstaled Sheik fair. Sheik's fair does 13%, so Yoshi should be in shield stun for 7 frames after hitlag.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
When I say shield drop I am referring to dropping through a platform while is shield, aka the technique that is useful and relevant, not releasing the shield then dropping through the platform. I also think I remember reading somewhere that unshielding takes the longest with Yoshi (I want to say 17 frames, but I'm not certain at all. . .)

I feel like shield drop isn't 1 frame, just saying. Too busy too look it up, but somebody should.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
Any time I gice data it's frame-by-frame with AR codes.

And, if you Shai drop...

Frame 1 (Shield)
Frame 2 (Tilt Shield left)
Frame 3 (Tilt Shield 225 degrees)
Frame 4 (Fall Through platform / Input Action)
Frame 5 (Action begins)

Bones0

Smash Legend
Where is this information coming from?
DashDanceDan's YouTube channel.

Any time I gice data it's frame-by-frame with AR codes.

And, if you Shai drop...

Frame 1 (Shield)
Frame 2 (Tilt Shield left)
Frame 3 (Tilt Shield 225 degrees)
Frame 4 (Fall Through platform / Input Action)
Frame 5 (Action begins)
Shai drop is always 1 frame so I'm not sure what you are doing. Also, you don't need a frame dedicated for an action's input, so that was an unnecessary frame to include (along with 2 and 3).

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why you're complaining when I clarified a situation for someone.

It takes 5 frames (counting the initial frame of being sheilded when you INPUT your shield tilting to the left) for any action to start out of the Shai drop.

By including every frame involved in the Shai drop, I avoid the spread of mis-information, and potentially avoid people having to ask multiple questions about it.

You might want to get down from there. That horse looks pretty tall; you could fall.

Edit: That 5-frame layout was probably where Purpletuce was coming from.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I wasn't complaining, just letting you know you were wrong... lol

A shai drop is done by inputting the the shield drop angle during your dash so that as soon as you press shield you drop through on the very next frame. Your shield doesn't tilt at all during a shai drop. The high horse comment is awfully ironic.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I don't think that what Bones is saying is incorrect. A Shai drop is different from a shield drop (dropping through the platform in your shield), though. They have different inputs. You can check out the original video here.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I played a lot of Yoshi at my tournament today. I was surprised how well I actually did... My biggest issue was I kept forgetting/messing up uair chains. I kept doing 5x more work than necessary because I was DJC nairing and tech chasing instead of taking the free damage. I did, however, do the grab thing that Leffen said to do at 0% on spacies (dthrow -> DJC nair -> regrab -> dthrow -> uair). I know that's not that hard, but it was funny because my opponent was just like, "lol WUT?" :awesome:

I also punished a rest with a 40%+ dair into usmash (not sure if that actually works lol), and the opponent just turned around like "DID ANYONE SEE THAT BS???" XD

Yoshi is too fun... like legitimately might main Yoshi... kinda scary. >_>

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I don't think D-air -> U-smash works, but something else you could've done is D-air -> Yoshi Bomb since you know Jigglypuff is going to jump whenever it can.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Heh, yeah yoshi does have a certain charm.

As far as samus goes I think I have a decent video somewhere.
Being able to reflect missles consistently will keep samus on her toes. I also find most of her aerials easy to parry so make use of that and punish if the chance comes. Make note of the fact that you can duck under samus' pokes like jab and tilt (I think) and D-tilt her towards the edge. Since samus' CC game is pretty strong be wary using DJC aerials at low damage, lest you get hit without a DJ. Also, If samus is recovering with bombjumps, throw yourself the bombs and eat them using DJ to disrupt it (this is pretty situational though).

These are kinda just random tips and notes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBDuoW_DpBw

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
angel, IDK how much you watched of me but what did you think of my yoshi?

Top Bottom