• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Skler about Link!

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Wow i didn't know u could DI at all, but now that i think about it... it makes sense.
cuz sometimes i hit my control stick anyway just from spazzing out (i freak out when a fox is coming to shine spike) and it went further than usual o.o

HiIH

Smash Lord
Skler, what do you think about the Dash attack... for awhile I quit using it, but now I'm weighing out it's combo-ability against it's lag. Generally I use it to chase after someone who's at some silly angle after DIing my utilts to pop them back up for Uairs (so usually at a low percentage).

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
HiIH just beat me to the question.
i was halfway through with my post, but anyway.. yea i'd like to know about dash-attack too. it seems to be most effective when i play marth/fox

well, foxes that dont know how to u-smash oos.

Spife

Smash Master
does it work in all cases of DI?
I'm not sure. I know there's a percent where you can't catch them (i.e. they'll tech before you get a chance) and then 1-2 more and you can catch them. I'm sure if they smash DI...and if you hit with the furthest out hit box of the dash attack they can get out but it's still very nice.

Spife

Smash Master
I feel silly for asking this, but can anyone drill into my head how important being patient is? And what exactly playing patient is? Waiting for a good opportunity right? And not playing really agressive right?

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Being patient could mean a lot of things.
Waiting for a perfect spacing opportunity on a shield to not be shield grabbed
Waiting for a laggy move to punish
Being patient could mean using your projectile camping and not get bored and randomly charge in.
You can play aggressive and be patient, like tech following is agressive but you may need to be patient and wait for the opponent to get up before you dash attack or grab or up-b etc.

Skler

Smash Master
Skler, what do you think about the Dash attack... for awhile I quit using it, but now I'm weighing out it's combo-ability against it's lag. Generally I use it to chase after someone who's at some silly angle after DIing my utilts to pop them back up for Uairs (so usually at a low percentage).
Awesome at really specific %s on certain characters. It also has a really high range.

However, it also lost me this match. The dash attack combos into itself (even if they DI it) against spacies around 70% up until about 90% (as in you must stop dash attacking around 90).

Skler

Smash Master
I feel silly for asking this, but can anyone drill into my head how important being patient is? And what exactly playing patient is? Waiting for a good opportunity right? And not playing really agressive right?
Playing patient is important because Link can't just make things happen. Link doesn't act, he reacts. He reacts to Ganondorf taking over Hyrule and locking Zelda away, he also reacts to his opponents moves with a careful counter of his own. Fox SHs are you so you jab him, shiek fairs you on the ground so you CC it and dsmash, your opponent gives you space so you get projectiles in the air.

Playing patient is waiting for the chance to get into an advantageous position. You don't risk a lot (unless you have to) and just wait for good opportunities to present themselves. Obviously, you're supposed to put yourself in a situation where those opportunities will arise, and that's what makes playing patient hard. You need to understand what's likely to happen in each situation and react accordingly.

You can play patient and aggressive, nair spam is a pretty good example of that. It's patient because you aren't risking much by doing it and it's camping, it's aggressive because you're in the opponents face and putting pressure on them.

Spife

Smash Master
Thanks skler and shae, I still feel over whelmed (as I do by most of this game) but what ever aid helps.

can you name a few patient players off the top of your head skler? Visual aids help me tremendously.
Impatient players would be good too but I can find them myself. And can you go into a little more detail with your second paragraph?

For instance, would a situation could be approaching Marth, yet knowing your options and what to do is good but making sure you go with the best possible option, right? Would playing patient be connecting a bomb or boomerang and then moving in, rather then just throwing a projectile and then moving in?

Skler

Smash Master
Azen. He's probably the most famous patient player, just look at that guy do 3 fsmashes in a row and hit with every single one.

My second paragraph was mostly about staying in a spot where you're unpunishable and trying to pressure them into getting themselves into a bad position. For example, if you're pressuring a Marth with standing boomerangs (you'd be surprised), they might be tempted to jump. If you got Marth to jump you put him into a position where he's open to bombs or getting CC dsmashed (if he jumped at you). That's playing patient.

Approaching is Marth is weird. You really don't want to, but sometimes you have to (if they're really good at positioning). If you're approaching Marth you aren't playing patient, since it's a pretty bad thing to have to do. You should only approach Marth if you were forced to or if you have a bomb in your hand already.

Anyways, you need to base your decisions off what they're likely to do (the best option varies, you need to know your opponent's style and guess at what they'll do). Following up projectiles works against Marth because he has to either swat, dodge or shield them and all of those options give him some lag. If he uses a low lag option you just back off and keep playing it safe. If you make contact with a projectile you follow up depending on his DI, sometimes you follow up by getting another projectile out and sometimes you follow up with some real attacks. As long as you don't put yourself in real danger you're playing patiently.

I think that answers your question.

Skler

Smash Master
Nah Cactuar is really smart. I overestimated the dash attack's range and underestimated Cactuar's cactus-like reflexes.

Spife

Smash Master
Thanks skler. I approach way to much (I realized that once). I'm going to work/think on that one.
Thanks for the Marth approach advice, and for the examples, and for the players. Thanks for all the info lulz.

playing patient is a lot about putting yourself into a situation where your risk vs reward factor is good for you. I've NEVER thought about that -___-

Dumb Spife is Dumb haha :bee:

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
SKLER. HOW U BEEN?

Nah seriously. I'm trying to think of a way to show you guys my Melee Link but I don't really have anyone to play against... maybe me sis's BF but that's about it. And nothing to record with.

Imma figure out a way to show my crappy skillz to ya though, don't worry. :p

Later man.

Skler

Smash Master
I've been doing far too much work. I'm not even sure if I'll make it to all the tournaments I plan on going to this month :(

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
I've been doing far too much work. I'm not even sure if I'll make it to all the tournaments I plan on going to this month :(
were having one in Niagara december 20th.
i should be able to go.
thread sshould be up today for the tourney.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Yeah man, I know what you mean. I got a job a while ago, it's friggin' eating all my time. I'm having to squeeze in Smash between work and school. In other words, Smash is smashed. lol corny.

I'm working on saving up some moo-lah so I can travel a bit to play offline with people who matter; hopefully next summer. I want to see where I really stand once I get back in the groove.

I'm getting bored with the tournies in my town... >_> Of the last 3 I've only lost 1 stock in all the finals... and that was from screwing around...

Spife

Smash Master
haha Blubba, I'm quite the opposite here. I'm taking off 1 stock in the first rounds (I kid...but not really :urk: Brawl weeded out all the nubs in NE)

BUt I was the highest placing Link at one MM. That's right, I beat out skler! (cause he didn't enter) and am usually the highest placing Link! (when skler doesn't enter)

Skler

Smash Master
The 20th is too soon for my first OOC tourny, especially because there's one in Maine on the 20th and my only way to get to your tourny would be with a Maine carpool.

I do want to go to the GA tourny, but it doesn't have a date yet does it? Once it gets a date I'll start making plans for it.

I had three tournaments lined up in a row this month, but the way things are looking right now I'll only make it to one or two of them.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Currently the big one is Tipped Off 4. Still a two day event, and in the same ish place the last one was

I'll edit the thread link into it in a minute. Dunno when Tobasco2 is actually gonna happen, if ever = (

EDIT-link to Tipped Off 4.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201448

So far some Canada, Eggz, chaddd of course. Dunno who all else is comin though. Everyone attend. I wanna see some moar Link there. = D

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
haha Blubba, I'm quite the opposite here. I'm taking off 1 stock in the first rounds (I kid...but not really :urk: Brawl weeded out all the nubs in NE)

BUt I was the highest placing Link at one MM. That's right, I beat out skler! (cause he didn't enter) and am usually the highest placing Link! (when skler doesn't enter)
come to Canada and mm my Link.
The 20th is too soon for my first OOC tourny, especially because there's one in Maine on the 20th and my only way to get to your tourny would be with a Maine carpool.

I do want to go to the GA tourny, but it doesn't have a date yet does it? Once it gets a date I'll start making plans for it.

I had three tournaments lined up in a row this month, but the way things are looking right now I'll only make it to one or two of them.
hmm, then come to the one im hosting around February.
Currently the big one is Tipped Off 4. Still a two day event, and in the same ish place the last one was

I'll edit the thread link into it in a minute. Dunno when Tobasco2 is actually gonna happen, if ever = (

EDIT-link to Tipped Off 4.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201448

So far some Canada, Eggz, chaddd of course. Dunno who all else is comin though. Everyone attend. I wanna see some moar Link there. = D
I would If i was older :(
But seriously i want you guys to come up here =D

Spife

Smash Master
Stos, you and every other Link should go to Ohana (btw we should make that happen, NE I mean) and every link ever will do mm ffa on temple >.>
In all seriousness I'm totally up for Link dittos and my ears are tuned into Link's sound effects. I perk my head up and look around everytime I hear Link lose a stock. It's rare when it's not me (no one plays Link).

errr Link dittooooos are go!

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
You should host a big Canada tourny during spring break or something. Spring break, Canada edition.
ill try that.
Our beer is better than yours.
yeah i might bring some stuff at Nikos tourney =D so we can all get drunk and have sex in my ayyauz.
Stos, you and every other Link should go to Ohana (btw we should make that happen, NE I mean) and every link ever will do mm ffa on temple >.>
In all seriousness I'm totally up for Link dittos and my ears are tuned into Link's sound effects. I perk my head up and look around everytime I hear Link lose a stock. It's rare when it's not me (no one plays Link).

errr Link dittooooos are go!
alright.

I cant even smash OOC im only 16 -_-
thats why I'm planning to have a huge tourney here so that not only I, can play americans but most of us young ones here smashing that cant get out of Canada yet. Though thats not the point of having a big tourney here, its just Toronto never had a big big big tourney since time.

Skler

Smash Master
A smash tourny in canada would attract all smashers between the ages of 18 and 21.

I know why.

They all love maple syrup

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Lmfao maple syrup. xD

I've been thinking about hosting some of my own Smash tournies in my town or maybe starting biweeklies just to improve the local jokals. I don't know how I would get started with it though.

Skler

Smash Master
I'm sure the 19 year old smashers wouldn't mind getting maple syrup for the smashers who can't...reach the maple trees.

All this aside, a tourny in Canada would be too good. Especially if it's closeish to NH.

Go Canada Go!

Edit: Blubba just ask a store owner if they'd like to host smash biweeklies and offer them a cut of the pot or a venue fee.

Top Bottom