• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask KirbyKaze sheik questions (better than mango's)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
yeah...and drephen is like...a well known sheik player..mang0 is just...>_______>

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
This is a general question but:
How do you manage to play such a simple style at such a high level of play?

like ive seen you beat jiano with marth in match where you almost only used fsmash. Freakin' Jiano! What's the secret behind this? >.> How the **** do you manage to remain unpredictable when using so few options?

This is a serious question and im not trying to ironically mock you or anything. (I wrote that cuz when I read this it sounded like it wasnt a serious question >.> you never know how ppl are gonna perceive things over the internet)
i really want to know cuz I tend to overdo it with my tech skill and such when I play which just leads me to mess up. I need to be able to "do more with less" if you know what I mean.

Drephen

Smash Master
Drephen what do you do vs Peach.
is there anything specific that you are having trouble with? I know the peach matchup pretty **** well due to vidjo kicking my *** so much back in the day

also i watched your matches versus RaynEx, im pretty sure you could beat him like 80% more if u did little things differently

MikeHaggarTHAKJB said:
This is a general question but:
How do you manage to play such a simple style at such a high level of play?

like ive seen you beat jiano with marth in match where you almost only used fsmash. Freakin' Jiano! What's the secret behind this? >.> How the **** do you manage to remain unpredictable when using so few options?

This is a serious question and im not trying to ironically mock you or anything. (I wrote that cuz when I read this it sounded like it wasnt a serious question >.> you never know how ppl are gonna perceive things over the internet)
i really want to know cuz I tend to overdo it with my tech skill and such when I play which just leads me to mess up. I need to be able to "do more with less" if you know what I mean.
well i mean im not the only one to do it, i mean i stole the "f-smash only marth" from watching azen play

really its all about reading your oppenent, timing, and doing things that they wouldnt expect

like as in you start watching smash vids right? Soon it seems to be the same matches over and over again. Attack--->shield---->counter attack---sidestep. just over and over again with the exact same timing

so try doing things 1.5 secs later than you normally would. Wait that extra second to forward smash or wait that extra second to grab.

and theres a reason why i sidestep 7 times in a row, because its unpredictable. Watch Eggz for example, i have no idea what the heck that kid is thinkin when he is playing fox, and thats why he does so good in tournies. So instead of following the same ol' forumla of a regular smash match, try something you wouldnt usually do.

now to reading your opponent. I mostly just do it with tech chasing but you can do it in other situations to. Its hard to read an opponent when your playing them for the first time. So in a lot of situations, ill let the other guy kick my *** for the first stock, but im reading his movements the entire time. Looking at each way he techs, what he does when he gets knocked down, what he does from a shielding position, what he does from a standing position, and how the person recovers are all things you should be taking note of.

all this, and i just get consistenly lucky :)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
How do you incorporate Uair into Sheik's game in NTSC?
It's an amazing juggle in PAL, but it has way too much knockback for my liking in NTSC, which ends up with me screwing up combos against my American cousins. What to do Master Drephen?

Drephen

Smash Master
How do you incorporate Uair into Sheik's game in NTSC?
It's an amazing juggle in PAL, but it has way too much knockback for my liking in NTSC, which ends up with me screwing up combos against my American cousins. What to do Master Drephen?
yeah up air you just kinda have to use it and wait for them to come down, that or wait for them to use a move while they are coming down then up air them again

on a related note, if you are ever fighting a floaty character like peach or jiggs , up KO's way sooner that fair, so if they are in the middle of the stage and DI away, dont fair them just go striaght for the upair

soap

Smash Hero
wtf uair does combo.... maybe not at high percents, but i get uair to fair or uair to platform dair to fair all the time.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
wtf uair does combo.... maybe not at high percents, but i get uair to fair or uair to platform dair to fair all the time.
Not like PAL uair, you should see how much more knockback your uair has.
And thanks Drephen, that was really useful (especially the floaties part)

Drephen

Smash Master
How do you get lucky so consistently? Practice?

When do you use N Air? Or have you virtually cut it out in your style?
i actually use n-air a lot

the cool thing about n-air is that it does the most percent out of all sheik's aerials and comes out the fastest

specifically i use it against characters that have fast nairs themselves (peach, luigi) when they are at low percents. Its the most reliable aerial and does more percent.

The only bad thing about it is that it doesnt have much knockback and cant combo very well

and you can also do the cool n-air KDJ ledgeguard thingy too

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
is there anything specific that you are having trouble with? I know the peach matchup pretty **** well due to vidjo kicking my *** so much back in the day

also i watched your matches versus RaynEx, im pretty sure you could beat him like 80% more if u did little things differently
It's the low percents, mainly. I find Peach a pain in the *** below like 50-60 because of her CC game and grounded aerials. I find myself being pressured unnecessarily and not sure what to do about it; lagless ground-level aerials are gay as balls. I know I can just SH back Fair, SH back Bair, SH needle --> grab, etc. But when I do those I find myself running out of space really fast and being pushed off the stage into homo Peach edgeguarding. Obviously this is less of a problem on some stages like FD where there's big space to work with, but on FoD and Battlefield it's just :(

I think my problem is I'm treating Peach like a normal character, but I really want your input. Ditto on the RaynEx stuff too. I'm always excited to hear advice on how to beat Fox :)

Drephen

Smash Master
why did my thread

get closed lol

and drephen

sheik dittos =D
lets gooooooooooooooooo

i chain grab you 0-death 4 times in a rowwwwwwwww

einthesuperdog said:
Any general suggestions on making sheik faster?
lol my shiek is like the slowest thing on earth, i honestly dont think that faster=better anways. But a good thing to do is plan moves in advance so you wont have lag,delay,time to think. Also working on reaction time and knowing what to do in certain situations and applying those quickly.

KirbyKaze said:
It's the low percents, mainly. I find Peach a pain in the *** below like 50-60 because of her CC game and grounded aerials. I find myself being pressured unnecessarily and not sure what to do about it; lagless ground-level aerials are gay as balls. I know I can just SH back Fair, SH back Bair, SH needle --> grab, etc. But when I do those I find myself running out of space really fast and being pushed off the stage into homo Peach edgeguarding. Obviously this is less of a problem on some stages like FD where there's big space to work with, but on FoD and Battlefield it's just

I think my problem is I'm treating Peach like a normal character, but I really want your input. Ditto on the RaynEx stuff too. I'm always excited to hear advice on how to beat Fox
lol i know exactly what you are talking about to. Vidjo always used to **** me at low percents. The Peach might be spamming turnips at the time but theres 3 things they will do

1.)approach with float and come down with f-air or some ****

solution = run up with your own fair and hit them once and GTFO! cause they will counterattack you if you try to go for anymore

2.)the peach will approach from the ground and either dash attack or try to trick you into making the first move and coutnerattack most likely with downsmash

solution = if the peach dash attacks shield grab it, and if the peach downsmashes wait for it to end then go in for the grab. IF you find yourself getting ***** by missed grabs, dash attack dash attack dash attack.

3.) the peach will stay back, most likey throwing turnips.

solution = If they have a turnip they dont have many options, so if they jump go ahead and try to fair. If they are on the ground dash attack, or run up (out of dsmash range) and shield and let them make the first move

you can also try the "8 min long camping match" that plank likes to do but i dont recommend that lol

as for your matches against RaynEx.................DONT UPTHROW and DONT TECHCHASE UPSMASH OMG
i know its kind of my style, but even if theres a platform above you its still always better to downthrow, you have much more options when not on a platform. Also i hate upsmash techchasing(this is more of a preference thing)

that and you need to be more patient during your matches, 2-3 times i saw where you just had to roll and the ledge but instead tried to do some fancy edgeguard and fail at it and RaynEx comes back lol. Oh and more downsmash ;)

MaNg0

Smash Hero
Ive played sheiks

with chaingrabs

and i dont chaingrab

back and win

But of course ur no ordinary sheik

;)

Razor

Smash Journeyman
sir drephen,

you have a rep for being a spacies killer, so are those your fav matchups?

what are your worst/least favorite?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
lol i know exactly what you are talking about to. Vidjo always used to **** me at low percents. The Peach might be spamming turnips at the time but theres 3 things they will do

1.)approach with float and come down with f-air or some ****

solution = run up with your own fair and hit them once and GTFO! cause they will counterattack you if you try to go for anymore
That makes sense.

Drephen said:
2.)the peach will approach from the ground and either dash attack or try to trick you into making the first move and coutnerattack most likely with downsmash

solution = if the peach dash attacks shield grab it, and if the peach downsmashes wait for it to end then go in for the grab. IF you find yourself getting ***** by missed grabs, dash attack dash attack dash attack.
Also makes sense.

Drephen said:
3.) the peach will stay back, most likey throwing turnips.

solution = If they have a turnip they dont have many options, so if they jump go ahead and try to fair. If they are on the ground dash attack, or run up (out of dsmash range) and shield and let them make the first move
I don't have this problem, but I will make not of it in the event it comes up.

Drephen said:
you can also try the "8 min long camping match" that plank likes to do but i dont recommend that lol
lol

Drephen said:
as for your matches against RaynEx.................DONT UPTHROW and DONT TECHCHASE UPSMASH OMG
i know its kind of my style, but even if theres a platform above you its still always better to downthrow, you have much more options when not on a platform. Also i hate upsmash techchasing(this is more of a preference thing)
Hmmm...

Not sure if I agree with the U-smash thing, but you're probably right about me having a better position after D-throw than U-throw. I'll probably cut back.

Drephen said:
that and you need to be more patient during your matches, 2-3 times i saw where you just had to roll and the ledge but instead tried to do some fancy edgeguard and fail at it and RaynEx comes back lol.
Yeah, I definitely need to work on that one lolz.

Drephen said:
Oh and more downsmash ;)
I'm working on it lolz.

Drephen

Smash Master
sir drephen,

you have a rep for being a spacies killer, so are those your fav matchups?

what are your worst/least favorite?
my favorite matchup is prolly peach or samus (stereotypical i know)

my least favorite is against Ice climbers, i hate it when i just cant spam grab lol

soap said:
drephen, who is the best sheik in the world? M2k?
me of course lol

there are a lot of good players who play shiek (KDJ,isai,forward) but none of them main sheik
those that do (me, nihonjin,Cj,) are awesome

i have massive respect for people who can stay the same character for an entire tourney

very few shiek mains have won tournies so mad props to whoever does

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
M2k considers Sheik as one of his mains...

Even though I know you and he don't particularly... like each other.

Drephen

Smash Master
M2k considers Sheik as one of his mains...

Even though I know you and he don't particularly... like each other.
rofl m2k says he mains everyone

"i 3 stocked cactuar with doc, i consider him one of my mains"
he posts that kinda **** everywhere lol

theres no way m2k could go all shiek in a big tourney and win

but lets keep the m2k trash talk away from this thread ;)

Celph

Smash Journeyman
I agree 100% with the usmash tech chase thing, I hate when Sheiks do that. No, you're not KDJ. Do something safer.

What do you do vs a Peach who just float camps? It's waaay harder than it sounds if they know what they're doing. Float is ridiculous.

Celph

Smash Journeyman
Or you could just dsmash/dash attack/regrab which works 100 percent of the time as long as you tech chase properly.

I saw your friendlies with RaynEX. You missed more than you think. Nevermind that people who are very good at getting out of tech chases won't get punished by it nearly as often. Plus it's just usmash to fair. A two-hit combo isn't worth all the trouble.

I say just save it for when there's no doubt you're going to hit with it. Sometimes it is the best option.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
My friendlies with RaynEX that were recorded are lol.

It's only U-smash to Fair if you don't use your imagination lolz. There's much more you can do.

soap

Smash Hero
Plus it's just usmash to fair. A two-hit combo isn't worth all the trouble.
usmash to triple dair to fair, chyeaah, u can get a ton of dair juggles in if they spam survival DI.

note how many it takes till they try to DI out... then fair

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
lolz <3 Drephen

will you marry me no homo?
lol u kant cuz of prop 8

Jokes aside, do you ever notice any trends in things people do? Like... a lot of people tend to techroll away from the ledge... stuff like that? Any basic mindgames that apply pretty much across the board that you're willing to share?

Top Bottom