• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Hey you're in VA! You should connect with the VA smashers if you want to get into Melee more. Maybe go to Syphers' Tourney this weekend? Or you could just post there to try and connect with them, or share it with your friends to see if any of them are interested. Maybe you'll even meet Axe one day if you get into Melee enough :awesome:

(sorry if this sounds upfront, just trying to get the MD/VA region to grow :) I have no idea how much interest you have in Melee but it's worth a shot)

soju

SD God
:awesome: Sorry, I was going to confess my undying love to Axe after I totally wreck his Pikachu in dittos MM at Codename Epic a couple weeks from now, but you might get your shot if he turns down an amazing pikachu such as me. :troll: With that said dollar MM Axe?

Dessy

Smash Rookie
Well I'd love to get into smash, but given my attention span, the only game I have managed to play consistently for years on end is Magic: The Gathering. It's easy to find people to smash with, though, so we'll see. I just have a long way to go, considering my starting point. The swelling in my thumb still hasn't died down. D:' I'm afraid to practice quickattack or decent juking more until it has.
I AM in Va, but I'm a graduating senior in high school, and I won't be in the area for college. :c
Also YES I am a dedicated and thoroughly appreciative fan. ;o

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well I'd love to get into smash, but given my attention span, the only game I have managed to play consistently for years on end is Magic: The Gathering. It's easy to find people to smash with, though, so we'll see. I just have a long way to go, considering my starting point. The swelling in my thumb still hasn't died down. D:' I'm afraid to practice quickattack or decent juking more until it has.
I AM in Va, but I'm a graduating senior in high school, and I won't be in the area for college. :c
Also YES I am a dedicated and thoroughly appreciative fan. ;o
Why would you think you are worthy enough for him to decide to marry you? I understand what love is more or less but it's usually not one-sided. Also, you have probably watched Fairy Tail by saying aye sir? Right?

Also it's totally ok to be who you are, no problem! =D

Dessy

Smash Rookie
Why would you think you are worthy enough for him to decide to marry you? I understand what love is more or less but it's usually not one-sided. Also, you have probably watched Fairy Tail by saying aye sir? Right?

Also it's totally ok to be who you are, no problem! =D
No Fairy Tail: I'm just an incredibly quirky speaker.

Anywho, I am by no means so presumptuous as that--which is why I asked and crossed my fingers--nor am I to be taken so literally. Marriage is a weird thing to ask of someone you don't really know at all, regardless of how thoroughly you appreciate his or her exploits.

My interest in Axe is much less romantic than I have made it out to be. Mostly I just love what I've seen him do with Pikachu, and greatly respect where respect is due. Love, sure, but platonic in nature, especially considering we're strangers. xD ALSO I am male, and I don't ever make assumptions about a person's sexuality. O.o; Yeah. Heheh...

Nonetheless, I am indeed a very big fan of Axe's though this is a recent development. I've always enjoyed melee more than the other SSB games, and with my interest in it rekindled, I'm hoping I can make my old pastime into more of an art, but I won't be able to do it alone. xD If I've any follow through whatsoever, I sense many long hours of Melee in my future. x.x

AXE 09

Smash Master
:( So you're not in love with me??? :(

Darn it I was really looking forward to the wedding :( Now who am I supposed to marry?

Lol

:phone:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Lmao you have a fun way of writing things. Also, long hours of melee is always a must. I swear every single time I play there's something new or different that happens or a new technique starts to form. This game is awesome, hehe.

Dessy

Smash Rookie
:( So you're not in love with me??? :(

Darn it I was really looking forward to the wedding :( Now who am I supposed to marry?

Lol

:phone:
Shhhhhh! I told you it was a secrettt! ;o
Hrm. Wondering how likely it is that I will bring my old Gamecube to college in Tucson. .w.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
You're going to Tucson?

...looks like you'll be seeing Axe a lot sooner than expected >_>

EDIT: Forgot to mention! If you're playing vs fox and you're really high in the air and trying to avoid an uair hit, doing a retreating falling fair is pretty reliable for me...need to test this more :bee:

Spyro

Smash Ace
Yup, a lot soon than expected. Axe, I wish I could come over to AZ and meet all of you guys over there :D.

Question: What's a good way to practice SDI with Pikachu?

N64

Smash Champion
grab a friend and tell him to uthrow uair you as fox over and over.

dunno about practicing solo. Probably just turn on a lvl 3ish comp and try to SDI when you expect him to attack.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^HEY

Yoshi's legit son!, and anyone who wants to be a winner and super awesome would put themselves through that kind of AWESOME.. duhhh!!

lol, just posted like a long post in the Tier list thread, so idk why, I just feel like talkin random stuff about smash for those whom are still awake, ya know?

Dessy

Smash Rookie
xD Tim is a silly. :3

Also yeah it would be cool to meet Axe? xD But if the past is any indicator, I have little more chance of meeting up with anyone close than I do of meeting up with people far away. Also, I'm not nearly good enough to pose any sort of challenge to Jeff as a smasher. x3 Would be a lot to ask of lil Dessy, who is still very much a newby. x.o

Dial Up

Smash Rookie
I use my nair and uair off stage. And sometimes my fair. Never my bair. But can someone give me a quick low down on when to use them, like would if my opponent is below the ledge, would it be safer to use u air or nair? what about above the ledge or parallel to it?

Diske

Smash Rookie
I use my nair and uair off stage. And sometimes my fair. Never my bair. But can someone give me a quick low down on when to use them, like would if my opponent is below the ledge, would it be safer to use u air or nair? what about above the ledge or parallel to it?
I'm not that good, so probably my advice isn't right, but I use it to edgeguard sheik.
I mean, she tries to recovery, I get the ledge, and if they decide to landing, then I bair'em away. Usually works at 90% or something.
And more situacional, when I'm in an awkward position and my opponent isn't sweetspotting, i bair then ff.
The good thing about the move is that the hitbox last enough, so your opponent doesn't spect it.

Maybe I'm wrong, feel free to hear more skilled players :D

And about the nair or uair question, I guess it depends on what character is the one that you're edguarding. For example, against spacies i think is better to uair, since you have the time to set up and uair-spike them.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
For the record, tailspike is better in 99% of the edgeguarding scenarios possible imo. If you can nair them, you should be able to tailspike them given like ~10 extra frames...but it's tricky to position in a lot of situations.

Some thoughts on edgeguarding...not very organized btw, I was falling asleep while writing this.

Against recovering opponents below the ledge, I typically like to (in order of how much time I have):
  • run off uair tailspike (pretty much guarantees gimp if it lands, requires a lot of precision and guesswork)
  • run off dair dropzone (good knockback, some guesswork is involved but not that much precision required. personally I try to keep this as a surprise mixup)
  • run off nair trade (low knockback but can be used very 'reactively')
  • run off fair>aerial, usually uair (not frequently used)
  • ftilt ledge (gives you more time, keeps opponent below ledge)

Above the ledge, I first take into consideration how many options my opponent has. Do they still have a doublejump? Can they counter with an aerial? How dynamic is their recovery? Do I have enough time to guard them? Stuff like that, anything that gives them more options. Typically, opponents above the ledge have more options than when they're below it. However, don't be intimidated by the # of options your opponent has for avoiding you and go for an edgeguard and take note how your opponent tries to avoid your edgeguarding. Considering you're Pikachu, you're more likely to survive the attempt (don't just assume this though, assess the situation first).

If I go for an edgeguard while they're above me (in order of preference):
  • tailspike (tricky to land, opponent will usually be watching for this and can avoid it when provided enough options)
  • dair (takes some guesswork but is unusually reliable for me, typically pushes opponent far back enough to set up an easier edgeguard. pretty much a mini-knee. again, try to use as a surprise mixup)
  • nair (basically a more reactive version of dair)

Parallel to ledge is kind of just an intermediate between above/below that I don't really consider unless I'm playing vs fox/falco (in which case I'll ftilt if I'm expecting side+B sweetspot, spiking them out of side+B is too hard for me lol). I guess Peach too if she's just floating back at stage level, but you don't really see that often...plus it's pretty risky for Peach since it puts her in a pretty big gamble of getting gimped or not.

Btw I almost always try to ftilt sweetspotters just to put them below the ledge.

Some characters kind of evade the whole 'above/below' algorithm btw. You really have to just feel it out for those characters.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I agree that uair and nair should be the predominant attacks used when offstage, but there's a time when to use one or the other. Typically I think it's easier to work with nair than uair offstage, so it would be the most common offstage edgeguard for beginners, especially when pikachu is so small. It would arguably be better to learn the use of uair first, but typically people choose the path of least resistance.

That being said, a ftilt to drop nair is all you need to kill falco, and if you do it right, fox.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
you can trade with nair too. and bair. and fair.

edgeguarding spacies is pretty open-ended :awesome:

N64

Smash Champion
Goin to a tourney today.

Haven't so much as touched a gamecube controller in 6 months.

This will go well.

Dessy

Smash Rookie
wow. Didn't occur to me that it might censor the url. You'll have to guess. You might have already seen this nonsense anyway. ^^'

edit: Quite right. Is it better if I edit messages? It's been some time since I've been an active member of any forum whatsoever, and when I was, double posting was never a concern...though I understand why that might not be the case here.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Hey I went to a tournament too! I lost all my matches though T_T although I went all falco this time

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pikachu and Pichu are not like Doc and Mairo, in the since that Doc and Mario similar playstyles while Pikachu and Pichu do not.
I know .-.
I just think its funny that everybody thinks all pichu players should use pika because he's "the same character, but better"

My Pika is awful xD
I'm not used to his silly fat self.

Dessy

Smash Rookie
I know .-.
I just think its funny that everybody thinks all pichu players should use pika because he's "the same character, but better"

My Pika is awful xD
I'm not used to his silly fat self.
He's just a lil chubby. o3o Just enough to afford him extra cuddliness~
...and make his arms that much more stubby, thus rendering his grab range that much shorter...

Top Bottom