• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
@Smuckers' video:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BcTa-y_pbw)
0:03 - Nice sh dtilt. However I personally try to save it as a mix-up for later, so I don't know how to feel about it being used in the very beginning of the match...feels like you're giving the opponent the knowledge of this being an approach option from the get-go. Also you usually can't grab out of dtilt, but you know that now lol.

0:05 - You seem to be trying to SDI sideways out of fox's uairs throughout the match, which is good. Just remember to DI the throw to the side first, and DI the uair in the opposite side direction. Use the cstick too for additional ASDI support.

0:16 - Should have techchased to a grab.

0:19 - Shffl nair against a DD'ing Fox is super risky, and you were really out of range in that situation. If you want to squeeze out a little more range in your nair, just take out the fastfalling and you'll travel a lot farther than people expect. This was also a nice time to use the sh dtilt mixup on a DD'ing Fox waiting for a nair.

0:24 - uair would have reached! Although it would have been the weird fling-behind-Pika hitbox, most Foxes would be taken by surprise and died. You could also use fair here which would have been equally effective. I thought it was funny how you ended up gimping him with your own up+B trade :bee:

0:37 - I don't really suggest using run-in dsmash as an approach...in this case the Fox got lucky and naired over you, but it's also pretty easy for the Fox to continue dd'ing and outrange your dsmash.

0:39 - Not sure why you dair'd here...keep your focus on the opponent's position. >_>

0:42 - Pretty sure you could follow up that nair with rising uair.

0:59 - Since you started charging that fsmash while the Fox was in up+B, he could easily change his angle in reaction to avoid it. In this case, you forced Fox to recover really high and almost punished him with a grab that unfortunately missed and ended in your KO at 1:03...you use a lot of falling uairs from platforms during that game which is good, but falling uair from that high is very unsafe (esp. when trying to hit with your frontal hitbox) unless spaced perfectly. Your biggest concern with being high in the air after being juggled should be to find solid ground as opposed to retaliate from above since Pika is rather limited in the air. As for the edgeguarding, you could have run out and naired fox to remove all the guessing factors you put on yourself.

1:32 - If you did that a little lower that would be a solid reverse tailspike.

1:53 - Back up a little for fsmash guarding. I suggest using ftilt instead for an easy tailspike setup.

Overall you play pretty well (probably better than me lol) and you just need to work on your edgeguarding and nair followups. You're really good at hitting Fox out of his jump with your jolt, but you'll want to hit him with an aerial for a gimp after those. Also, you get punished for your nair>run away during your 2nd stock a lot so you'll want to figure out an alternate followup rather than running, or adjust your spacing to avoid punishing. On the other hand, you have great followups whenever you land an uair onstage :) keep going at it. Hope this helps.

VS Sheik - During the inevitable chaingrab, you should DI in one direction (preferably to the edge closer to you) and always try to jump out of it, but be careful when the Sheik decides to end it with a tilt>fair combo (or something like that) and adjust your DI accordingly. Pika has decent vertical combos against Sheik, uair is still as annoying to Sheik as it is to everyone else and uthrow leads to a lot of juggling. Edgeguarding Sheik is also pretty straightforward (tailspiking works pretty well if you hit her early and far, and there's always the stall edge > usmash after sheik recovers on stage). Usmash oos works well against Sheik's aerials depending on orientation.

That's all I really know. Tough matchup. :(

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Alright thanks a lot dkuo, thats exactly what I was looking for and I'm sure it will be of great use to me.
I figured I'd just elaborate on some of the silly things I did during that match though:
0:03 - after i dtilted I meant to immediately run forward and then grab, I just screwed up.
0:05 - I almost always try to sdi up airs but you're right, I'm really stupid because I almost never di the actual upthrow lol.
0:24 - I wasn't positive the up air would reach so I hesitated but the up+b gimp was actually on purpose if you'd believe that.
0:39 - the dair was a complete and total mistake, I have no clue what happened.

In terms of edgeguarding, for whatever reason I stopped going for gimps a while ago, but I actually played yesterday after getting some feedback on the video about gimps and edgeguarding and I was doing it much better and it helped a hell of a lot. I appreciate all of the advice you guys have given me and I'm sure I'll get more videos up soon.

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
It is safer to take a risk in life than to never take one.

Pika vs sheik I would camp a platform like S2J till sheik is forced to approach and that's when You get sheik in the best place you can

Spyro

Smash Ace
I just got finished watching this video and it reminded me how hard it is to compete with M2K's Sheik, especially as Pikachu (and being out of practice like this guy was in this video does not help either). It’s amazing how Axe is able to hold it down with M2K’s Sheik.

soju

SD God
How come all the good pika players I look up to names start with A. . . Axe, Anther, AK :/ tis' a strange coincidink

oh and merry christmas

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
not sure if these were answered, but with over 200 hundred pages to go through... why bother? (x3)

Q. How do you go about handling marths?

Q. What are the most useful things to chain with pikas wd?

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Merry Christmas Pika brethren!
So the way I deal with marth is by playing a lot of cat and mouse; it involves a hell of a lot of baiting. Since a lot of marth's attacks have a lot of lag after the hit comes out, you just have to bait him into attacking and then punish the whiff. Other than that, dtilt helps a lot for spacing purposes, up air works wonders as always, and marth actually isn't too hard to gimp. It's a real pain in the *** match up, but once you get the hang of it it becomes bearable.

What do you mean by chaining things with wd?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
not sure if these were answered, but with over 200 hundred pages to go through... why bother? (x3)

Q. How do you go about handling marths?

Q. What are the most useful things to chain with pikas wd?
I've explained this to you i'm pretty sure...
I like WD back into dtilt or dsmash

for marth you can't just run at him, because he'll smack you.
you make him feel uncomfortable then he gets nervous and messes up, then you punish his dumb *** self.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Merry Christmas Pikachus :)

Pikachu can jab reset with his weak usmash hitbox :awesome:

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
sucks when they tech and then spike you with falco :\
What does this mean? What can he do to counter my dair if I'm coming from above?

Merry Christmas Pikachus :)

Pikachu can jab reset with his weak usmash hitbox :awesome:
What's a jab reset?

And also, I've noticed sometimes that players will jab someone trying to grab out of shield if they see it coming. If I spam Pikachu's jab as fast as possible can the opponent not grab me?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
What does this mean? What can he do to counter my dair if I'm coming from above?
uhm, from my understanding, you were saying you used dair to smack him into the stage and stage spike him? I did this once, but my friend (falco) tech jumped into a dair and spiked me. it was no fun .-.

What's a jab reset?
you jab somebody/hit them with a weak move/hitbox right before the can tech and it makes them stand straight up.

And also, I've noticed sometimes that players will jab someone trying to grab out of shield if they see it coming. If I spam Pikachu's jab as fast as possible can the opponent not grab me?
uhm... no they can't, but they will be pushed backwards and it will put you in a bad position.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya there's not many moves that can jab reset though and well usually only the jab with a few exceptions. It's basically when you knock someone down and if you see they failed to tech it, you can jab them to force them to get up and then with that you can get a free hit of any kind or a grab. Usually can only be done at very low %.

Though some people are able to SDI the jab to prevent that.. well at least at high level, a lot of them can do that. That's where you can double jab them to prevent even the SDI, right? I've seen that a few times, though I'll probably need confirmation from Axe. If you do it at higher %, then they can easily tech the jab and roll away quickly, and that's pretty hard to read on reaction since it happens quickly. Hope that was enough.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Ya there's not many moves that can jab reset though and well usually only the jab with a few exceptions. It's basically when you knock someone down and if you see they failed to tech it, you can jab them to force them to get up and then with that you can get a free hit of any kind or a grab. Usually can only be done at very low %.

Though some people are able to SDI the jab to prevent that.. well at least at high level, a lot of them can do that. That's where you can double jab them to prevent even the SDI, right? I've seen that a few times, though I'll probably need confirmation from Axe. If you do it at higher %, then they can easily tech the jab and roll away quickly, and that's pretty hard to read on reaction since it happens quickly. Hope that was enough.
I'm pretty sure the double jab won't prevent them from escaping the jab reset. If they SDI the first jab Up, then get hit by the 2nd jab, the 2nd jab should just act as if they normally got hit by the jab without being on the floor.

If you jab twice, it basically gives them a 2nd chance to SDI out of the jab reset, but it also adds on damage. Pikachu can jab someone on the floor like 5 times pretty quickly and that damage adds up, so I usually go for that gamble cuz most people don't react quickly enough to SDI any of those jabs.

:phone:

Spyro

Smash Ace
Marry Christmas too all the Pikachu mains.

How come all the good pika players I look up to names start with A. . . Axe, Anther, AK :/ tis' a strange coincidink
Axe, Taj, and Bum are awesome mid/low tier mains and they all have three letters in there names O_o. O and Anther and AK where awesome before they started playing brawl... For shame :(.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
We fixed the stream for next time guys, sorry about that. Follow the stream <3 and I also tweet anything I upload to youtube or whenever I start streaming: @RomeOscarBravo

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIAtAsfYZE

4:44

EDIT: Actually, y'all should watch the whole thing. And the other 4 chapters if you haven't already.
Goosebumps everywhere after that vid

EDIT: Yesterday I was watching a Marth/Falco matchup and Falco was knocked off stage. He went into FireBird and Marth began to charge a well spaced fsmash. Mind you, Falco had roughly over %100 damage. Falco was hit but managed to somehow stay alive and a weird noise sounded but he remained nearly in place and alive but subsequently killed by another fsmash. WHAT HAPPENED? I'll look for the video or an example if I can find one.

I found a clip, the link will bring you to the correct time frame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dj_54hAA3f0#t=172s

Is he just hitting L as soon as he gets hit? Or is he doing that jump thing? (which I don't know how to do or what's its called. Please post how <3)

And this looks like something different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj_54hAA3f0&feature=player_detailpage#t=255s

Fox why you no die?????

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
It's not in the video you posted, but I'm pretty sure you're talking about ledgeteching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlBYENtBqmY

You'll need to do a sweetspot from below the edge in order to ledgetech. Along with hitting L, I usually also smash DI so I collide into the stage after being hit, or smash DI up to jump out of it. I hit L before I hit the control stick for smash DI.

That or you're talking about meteor cancelling, which is cancelling a meteor smashed by jumping/doing your recovery move. Usually you're sent a good way below the stage by that though (plus marth doesn't meteor <_<) so I'm pretty sure you're talking about ledgeteching.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Axe I'm sure people have asked you this before, but why do you enjoy playing Pika?
Honestly idk, he's just fun!! Lol. I just love how fast he is and I love tailspiking :) He has so much mobility and idk why he's my best character, he just is lol.

Happy new year Pika Pii =)

:phone:

Top Bottom