• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
yo iRobinhood, if u go to apex we should meet, since u r on LI for school i would like to meet u, since call me crazy but i would rather meet someone from the internet in a public place like apex b4 meeting them in a more private place to play smash. so yea we should meet and if we decided nether of us r creepers maybe we will meet up for some smash in the future
Sounds good bro = D Just look for the guy with the blue Pika controller.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Me and there was someone registered for melee singles who had "Pika" in their name but idk if that's who their playing with.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Breaking news:
I was just messin around with up-b tricksies with pika and did a double up-b to the right :O. I will continue to test this out, I have some ideas and will hopefully figure it out.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Okay so I apologize if this was common knowledge and I just wasn't aware, but apparently pika can use up-b twice to either side while on the ground by using up-b then pushing to the side for the first zip and diagonal downwards and the same direction for the second one. Again, if this was already a common fact I apologize, but I was not aware.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
my biggest problem with that video is the guy's tone. What he says sounds really compelling and is very interesting, but he says it in such a monotonous voice that it doesn't motivate me as much as it should lol.

Anyway, soju I'm sorry to hear that the tournament didn't go too well, however if there was a possibility of you going to apex, you should still go. In fact, I feel like not doing as well as you'd hoped at this tournament is even more reason to go; get as much practice as you possibly can. Of course, it appears that you live on the opposite side of the country so you have a completely valid excuse to not go. I just think that whether or not you go shouldn't be based on how well you perform at a tournament because frankly, if you had done well at this tournament it wouldn't change much. Westballz won the whole thing and he almost definitely won't be placing in the money at apex. Maybe I'm just completely misreading the whole situation, and if I am I apologize, but you should go to apex.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Okay so I apologize if this was common knowledge and I just wasn't aware, but apparently pika can use up-b twice to either side while on the ground by using up-b then pushing to the side for the first zip and diagonal downwards and the same direction for the second one. Again, if this was already a common fact I apologize, but I was not aware.
This is because you're cancelling the vertical movement into the ground. It's kind of like when you see spacies up+B diagonally into the wall from below the sweetspot. Pikachu can do it against a wall too for 'double up+B upwards,' but there's actually a technique for that which is nigh impossible to pull off...

Sorry to hear that soju :( hope we can play at another tourney someday haha

soju

SD God
Lol, sorry but apex is a no, my friend A Rookie and me promised that we would only go if we did good in this tournament. This tournament was an eye-opener more then anything and we plan on going to many many more tournaments. We plan on practicing like crazy this next year, and we will get better. I promise you that by the end of 2012 we will get insanely good at our characters, we will be on the map, and we will be a major threat at any tournament we attend. Also I feel like saying this, I have a couple of pros in my sight, namely; Shroomed, Lovage, Kage, and mainly Axe due to various reasons, and I won't stop playing until I get at their level and have them recognize me as a real threat to them, if they do read this they can take this anyway they want, I just feel like stating that. But anyways stay classy pika boards, and g'luck to all the chus attending apex.

EDIT: I feel like being a cocky @hole right, so you better watch out people i mentioned, actually no everyone. I'm coming for that *** harder then getting hit by a fully charged ganon usmash, both hits. **Your going to have that same feeling you would get if you accidently crouch canceled peaches dsmash. So prepare yourselves.

MOTHA ****ING THUNDER SMASH *****ES

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
well what I'm saying is that apex is THE time to train. I unfortunately can't enter because I can't go friday, but if I did, it wouldn't be because I expected to **** people or do well in bracket; it would be to improve which is why i'm probably going 2 days even though i'm not entering. However, like I said before soju lives on the opposite side of the country and has a totally valid excuse, I'm just an *******.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Though why wouldn't you go to APEX, it's like literally a hyperbolic time chamber for smash. Your level is going to increase after a tournament like that no matter what. Tournaments isn't just about being good, hell even my chances of winning the tournament is low. I go there because I like to be around people and have fun. Whether it's just chilling with them or MMing them/beat the crap out of them... Proving yourself is only a small thing of the whole tournament experience, wouldn't you like to meet new people and have more contacts? =)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well.. ya.. if it's because money you can't go then fine..

Though can I ask why you want to beat me? It's been a long time since I've seen this kind of determination and it's exciting to me that I have people aiming to defeat me. =)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Well.. ya.. if it's because money you can't go then fine..

Though can I ask why you want to beat me? It's been a long time since I've seen this kind of determination and it's exciting to me that I have people aiming to defeat me. =)
what r u talking about kage, i made a post similar to that like a week or two ago on the peach boards. I made a whole list of goals and everything

but that is not what i came here to say, soju I feel i am in a similar place as u where i am not good enough yet but want to get better b/c of this i am going to apex but not entering the tourney itself, instead i am going to hang out have fun and play as many people in friendlies as i can. I understand if money is an issue and u cant go but if the major issue is that u felt u did not do well enough at some tourney, I would try to go b/c apex seems like a great place for some hardcore training

Also on a sort of related note Kage like maybe a week ago i was talking to u on a stream and u said u would give me some matches at apex, i just want u to know i am going and cashing thoses matches in.

on a unrelated note, idk why i am hanging around the pika boards so much

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You did? Perhaps it was too general for me to get inspired, I personally like it when someone really wants to crush me and beat me. It's more exciting because I mean there's a huge will behind that and there's hell of a lot more meaning when it happens. But that's my personal preference, you shouldn't take this as an offense. =P But ya we will play just come and find me, shouldn't be too hard, hehe.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
no worries i am not offended at all or anything, I will admit his post had more fire/passion behind it then mine, mine somehow turned into a list of things i am aiming for. also i dont honestly believe u have gone through every character thread looking for posts like that one, so i just figured u missed it.

edit: and yea kage I am going to find u, i just have to face a top level ganon to understand what ganon can really do b/c atm i cant figure out how u r successful with him

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yes, that is Kage the warrior. he isn't "the ganon player." He IS ganon. fear him. he will punch you.

hehe, you guys all make me feel inspired.
here is a list of my goals for smash (short term):

1. start regularly beating local players
2. win a set in a tournament (I never have)
3. get out of pools in a tournament (I never have)
4. get top 10 in a tournament
5. etc.

how I will achieve these goals:
Play as many good players as possible, attend as many tournaments as possible (big or small), practice as much as possible.

yey ^^

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Nice goals guys, I might be motivated to make some of my own.

On the topic of Pikachu, I KEEP GETTING GRABBED. It's my natural reaction to hold shield immediately after a dodge or tech and get punished for shielding or trying to shield. Also, still trying to solve this VOD capturing dilemma.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Nice goals guys, I might be motivated to make some of my own.
you should. writing your goals down makes you more motivated to achieve them, at least thats what people say.

On the topic of Pikachu, I KEEP GETTING GRABBED. It's my natural reaction to hold shield immediately after a dodge or tech and get punished for shielding or trying to shield.
I have the same problem, what I'm trying to do now is predict when my opponent is going to try and grab me and spot dodge. I just have a bad habit of shielding whenever i get nervous.

Also, still trying to solve this VOD capturing dilemma.
what?

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
^ I've also been incorporating more spot dodges and mixing things up lately. And just saying I'm nearing having a fix for capturing my gameplay so I can really show you guys my skills........ Well about two of them haha. All I need is some RCA SPLITTERS!!! AHHHHH MB I'll pick them up tonight.

Talk to you chaps later, going to go see the new Sherlock Holmes with my girlllll. <3

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Oh yea, for the splitters, Radioshack lies to you.
they put them in the audio product section and whatnot, so I thought that they were only for audio and I couldn't find a video one, they are the exact same thing. just buy the 3 cheapest ones you can find.

I bought mine for like $4 a piece.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ok, but one thing I realized if you do write down your goals or tell them, there is a huge trap with that.

Subconsciously when you do that, you will convince yourself that you are already there and then whatever training you will do will not be the best training you can do... it will be half-***** training. I think this happens to a lot of people and I just wanted to make you guys are aware of this.

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
I love this page. I like the random hype. And to be fair Kage for me I have no said person I want to mash down like bread. Anyone I play I will be better than and will increase in skill to fast to ever catch up

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
**** load of HD Robin videos with Pika inbound. I don't care how bad I did, stay tuned <3

EDIT* Video seems to have some sort of ghosting effect, will look into it. Also, I'm posting everything I think I was just too excited that I could capture gameplay as is. I'll look into settings and detail later.

N64

Smash Champion
Current Smash Goal: Finish this damn matchup list. It's such a looming task.

I haven't played smash in 3 months. Piling on that rust.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
well guys not sure if u r interested but here r my goals which i wrote down
I have goals smash goals i plan on reaching.
Goal 1: Best on LI. to anyone who knows LI knows this is reachable, Li is very weak atm and from what I can tell from tourney results I am not that far from this already.

Goal 2: I want this to be best in NY but thats way to big of jump. so maybe instead this is win a local, A kinda tough goal since some at times some real legit oos players come and **** like hbk. but i feel if i reach goal 1 this is doable.

Goal 3: get out of pools in a big tourney. not a major but something like ROM or right under ROM size. for all i know I might already be able to do this but this is more about going to a tourney like this which i have not before.

Goal 4: get out of pools in a major. same reasoning as above

Goal 5: ether be best in NY or maybe at least top 8, so i could get on a NY crew

Goal 6: best in NY for sure

and so on till I am the best. now I know there is a good chance I will never reach some of these goals, but that doesn't mean I wont try. So now I need to get better to reach my first goal, be better then G$.

Revive LI melee
anyway kage i dont think u will start doing half *** training b/c imo the idea of goals is to always have another harder one to reach so no matter what u have something to work towards.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well I only have one more goal in smash at this point and that is to win a huge tournament.

Let me explain what I mean by half-***** training. Like you can go to the gym and then tell yourself you are better off because of it.. but the real question should be: "What did you do at the gym?" You know what I mean? (I took this from a video because I thought it makes a lot of sense)

With that example, you can increase the quality of your training by asking yourself the right questions, I mean doing something 1 million times like tech skill will not make you a good player because you might be doing it wrong for those 1 million times. If you did it wrong the first time then you should immediately make it right before it becomes a bad habit that is hard to break because of your conditioning to it. Your mind can easily play tricks on you and convince yourself of funny things.. =P

unknown522

Some guy
Well I only have one more goal in smash at this point and that is to win a huge tournament.

Let me explain what I mean by half-***** training. Like you can go to the gym and then tell yourself you are better off because of it.. but the real question should be: "What did you do at the gym?" You know what I mean? (I took this from a video because I thought it makes a lot of sense)

With that example, you can increase the quality of your training by asking yourself the right questions, I mean doing something 1 million times like tech skill will not make you a good player because you might be doing it wrong for those 1 million times. If you did it wrong the first time then you should immediately make it right before it becomes a bad habit that is hard to break because of your conditioning to it. Your mind can easily play tricks on you and convince yourself of funny things.. =P
hmm. I learned the same thing in my music course for high school.

You can practice something the wrong way, and it's hard to break that habit if you've done it long enough. Like playing certain notes in a certain way that may not be how it was intended to be played.

Both Raynex (namesearch damn you) and I were in the same class at that point. But I doubt he remembers that.

edit: damn isn't censored anymore? cool.

soju

SD God
Haha, I'm gonna keep my hidden grudges a secret until I actually prove myself to you guys but it goes in the order from bigger grudge to smaller(axe, shroomed, kage, lovage), or else I'd be another scrub talking **** and I probably already could be one of them. But anyways I just felt like saying that because I gained a serious drive in smash after this last tournament I failed in, and wanted to have my goals set out. I also like the idea of pros I strive to be better then, but maybe I should have picked easier foes. Oh well, that means the victory will be that much more satisfying. >:3

And Apex, mainly it's money, it will cost around 200$ to fly over there and back and also maybe miss work those days which is something I won't do unless I feel confident I can prove myself by at least getting out of pools. If I had gotten maybe top 3 at this tournament I would have felt a lot more comfortable and almost would have definitely dipped into my savings and maybe miss a day of work or school. But I didn't and I promised myself Apex is a no go if I don't do good at even a local tournament. It's true Apex will be like a rare candy to a pikachu, but I live in California, I can grind it out with the gazillion smashers that are better then me here and do some power leveling. ;3

Btw Kage, I'm just curious about that patch of ice and bagged milk above 'murica. Are there any big tournaments happening in the BC area that you know of anytime this *upcoming year?

*@robin- I suck at this critiquing stuff since I'm a more hands-on type of guy but I looked at your video, need to dash dance more man ;D you already said the bit about short hops. Umm, tech skill looked like a big thing for you that match since I noticed you were somewhat predicting the falco but couldn't really do much. Also following up combo's, everytime a pikachu gets a solid uair in there should at least be 30% added to the opponent. The two latter things I said come in time as you learn more and more about pikachu and what combos into what. I'd say if you can't get enough practice in with others, go in training mode against falcon and set him to avoid, sucks without a c-stick but then he'll have somewhat human reaction time and DI and just practice whatever the heck you can do on that. Sorry if I was vague with the critiquing but I can't interpret matches without going into long rants about every single move. Also am I the only pikachu now that isn't a wizard? ;___;

Divinokage

Smash Legend
BC tournaments? No idea, I don't live in west coast.. I live in the east. Though if there's something huge in the west, I might come but I can't really travel all that much anymore unless it's a big tournament like Genesis.

I don't mind the talk ****, I find it it's funny. I know some others will just tell you to stfu because you can't back it up or for wtv reason, I'm not like that though. =P

Top Bottom