• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
haha, sorry I always call him klubber xP

anyways yea, idk where he is from. he usually doesn't travel for smash and doesn't go to tourneys that require him to travel too far, and I was sure that in a city like LA there would have to be some smashers.
Yeah, he said he's from Los Angeles, not Louisiana. But it's all good, people get them mixed up all the time so lol XD I kind of wish Los Angeles was abbreviated LoA instead of LA. Would fix soooo much. XD

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
:x
oh sorry.

and yea Axe, I kinda noticed they sounded a little weird, but w/e.
s3rl is a beast, so yea... just kinda stumbled upon it and thought it was awesome.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I've gotten so used to clawing/jumping with my pointer on the "Y" button but now jump cancelled grabs are so tricky. Maybe my hands are just cold.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I've gotten so used to clawing/jumping with my pointer on the "Y" button but now jump cancelled grabs are so tricky. Maybe my hands are just cold.
You can also use Up + Z to do jump cancelled grabs. That's how V3ctorman does them :) Maybe that might be easier for you

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
It's slow and laggy, but guarding people with dair is fun because they usually mistime when it'll come out. It's also pretty neat to end combos with.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Pika's dair has a high priority, if you're getting out prioritized by an opponents attack and you don't know what will most likely cancel his, try a dair.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Pika's Dair is so useful in quite a few situations. I think the best thing about it is that it stays out for a pretty good amount of time, and it's strong throughout the entire animation unlike Nair/Bair (although those 2 attacks do stay out longer).

Dair is a move I like to use mostly offstage to edgeguard someone if they're not in a good position to be tailspiked. For instance...

If a Fox is recovering and drops down really low to use his up-b straight upwards, then you can run off the stage and Dair. It has enough priority to go through his fire, and ends soon enough for you to double jump and up-b back onto the stage (except for on Yoshi's Story).

Also vs. opponents who like to jump a lot, doing a running full jump Dair can catch them a lot of times :) It's good cuz it auto cancels when you full jump, so you don't have to worry about L canceling or anything. You can actually double jump before you land, although the timing for that can be a little tough.

Here's a few other useful times to use Dair against Marth =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIJlDaFY7j8#t=7m46s

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
^ Nice come back

Also Axe when your using Pika's dair on Marth you should aim to hit him slightly off center to the opposite side you want him to be knocked back correct? Or else it would knock him toward the stage I believe.

Italis

Smash Rookie
wow thanks man. i also saw that you used dsmash a bit more than i thought you would. so dsmash has high priority? also are full jumps good every once in a while? cuz i dont have short hopping down so i can do it 100% of the time and i do full jumps on purpose.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Dsmash comes out fast and catches people easily if they're not expecting it, but I wouldn't say it has high priority. Good for killing your opponent's momentum <_<

Learning how to short hop is emphasized a lot because of shffling. Full hops have their uses of course, you don't only want to short hop. Being able to do either on command gives you more control of your character movement.

N64

Smash Champion
A nice thing about dsmash is the hitboxes come out a little above pikachu as he spins around. If I know a Falco is going to jump at me and dair, and I don't want to shield it (either because I'm worried it'll shieldstab, or think he'll then just pressure me with shines, jabs, and etc. until something does shieldstab me) then I'll usually try dsmash. It's risky, but it can often cleanly beat falco dair and put him on the defensive.

Otherwise it's useful occasionally for just tripping people up because of how long it lasts. Easily punishable if they watch for it, so don't spam it, but know it's still an option.

Spyro

Smash Ace
I always have trouble getting my opponet stuck in the down smash; they have to CC in order for them to get stuck in it right, or is there others ways?

AXE 09

Smash Master
I always have trouble getting my opponet stuck in the down smash; they have to CC in order for them to get stuck in it right, or is there others ways?
Dsmash can be smash DI'd out of if your opponent spams Up, but luckily Dsmash doesn't last TOO long so not too many people do that since they're caught off guard. Lvl 9 cpus will pretty much ALWAYS smash DI out of it though.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
A nice thing about dsmash is the hitboxes come out a little above pikachu as he spins around. If I know a Falco is going to jump at me and dair, and I don't want to shield it (either because I'm worried it'll shieldstab, or think he'll then just pressure me with shines, jabs, and etc. until something does shieldstab me) then I'll usually try dsmash. It's risky, but it can often cleanly beat falco dair and put him on the defensive.

Otherwise it's useful occasionally for just tripping people up because of how long it lasts. Easily punishable if they watch for it, so don't spam it, but know it's still an option.
I live with a Falco main and I'm gonna try dairing when he dairs me. Lately I've been getting grabbed A LOT. My main counter is only when I know a grab is coming I'll down tilt or forward tilt him away. Usually he gets frustrated and does a fsmash to which I just shield grab him lol. But if I'm in the air after being hit he's getting more and more in tune with which way I tech roll and I'm getting tech chased. Any tips?

soju

SD God
Me and my friend are going to a tournament this saturday, we decided if we place high we would then go to apex so wish us luck >;D

and dsmash is a great anti-air against aerials that don't have crazy priority

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Me and my friend are going to a tournament this saturday, we decided if we place high we would then go to apex so wish us luck >;D

and dsmash is a great anti-air against aerials that don't have crazy priority
Represent the Pika's <3

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
So I was wondering about a few things:
1. Robin do you live close to new york city/westchester at all? if you do I'd totally be down to play sometimes. By the way that controller looked sick.
2. What do you guys think of Fountain of Dreams? since it has a pretty low ceiling but goes down pretty far I'd think it's a good stage for pika, but I absolutely hate the low platforms. Do you consider it a solid counterpick for pika? (at least against certain characters).
3. Axe, I have no doubt in my mind that you're capable of beating armada despite the crappy matchup. I was also curious as to what you thought is more useful against floaty characters like marth though; up air into bair or dair?

Edit: Also, good luck Soju

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I'm in Long Island, NY at school but I also hang out in Yonkers, NY. Parents house is in Westchester. I love Fountain and Yoshi's Island because knocking an opponent on the platforms and timing their roll to hit them again with another uair is fun.

soju

SD God
FoD is a great stage against non-floatiesfastfallers, but i dislike it against fastfallers due to the platforms messing up some combos and such. Good against chain grabbing shiek imo ;]

Oh and you can double usmash shiek at lower % pretty easy if you do it on top of a low platform and shes on the stage

AXE 09

Smash Master
Good luck Soju!!!!! You got this!!!!!

So I was wondering about a few things:
1. Robin do you live close to new york city/westchester at all? if you do I'd totally be down to play sometimes. By the way that controller looked sick.
2. What do you guys think of Fountain of Dreams? since it has a pretty low ceiling but goes down pretty far I'd think it's a good stage for pika, but I absolutely hate the low platforms. Do you consider it a solid counterpick for pika? (at least against certain characters).
3. Axe, I have no doubt in my mind that you're capable of beating armada despite the crappy matchup. I was also curious as to what you thought is more useful against floaty characters like marth though; up air into bair or dair?

Edit: Also, good luck Soju
I personally like to lean away from FoD, except against sheik since those low platforms can help escape the chaingrabs. I guess just the low ceiling bothers me, although I do love how low the blast zone is so you can go super low for edgeguards :)

I know that I'm capabable of beating Armada in like maybe a match or even 2 if I'm lucky, but he's definitely a better player right now PLUS he plays a really hard matchup for me lol. But thank you man =) it doesn't mean I'm gonna let him win easy. I'm always gonna try my hardest!

:phone:

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Well robin if you're ever back around yonkers and want to play feel free to send me a pm, I've only played one other pikachu in my life and I'm actually the one that got him into melee in the first place. I really wish I could get a chance to play all of you at apex, but despite living less than 2 hours away from the venue I'm afraid I might not be able to find transportation which upsets me greatly :(

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I've realized fighting marth is similar to fighting a little girl.
You can't just try to run up and tackle them, you gotta make 'em feel insecure first.

You can't allow them to get comfortable, or else they slap you with a metal pole.

But once you get inside their comfort zone, you just gotta put your self in the dominating position (underneath) and keep hitting them until they die.

... just realized how creepy parts of this post sound...

soju

SD God
I've realized fighting marth is similar to fighting a little girl.
You can't just try to run up and tackle them, you gotta make 'em feel insecure first.

You can't allow them to get comfortable, or else they slap you with a metal pole.

But once you get inside their comfort zone, you just gotta put your self in the dominating position (underneath) and keep hitting them until they die.

... just realized how creepy parts of this post sound...
(d ^o^)b yup makes perfect sense, gotta go pedobear on little girls wielding long metal poles to beat be able to beat marth, maybe ill use this information this upcoming tournament

and thx all, I'll try my bestest ;3

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I just had a question about Apex for those Pika's who are going, is there a deadline for registration? I wasn't planning on registering til probably this weekend and I didn't want it being too late.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I just had a question about Apex for those Pika's who are going, is there a deadline for registration? I wasn't planning on registering til probably this weekend and I didn't want it being too late.
I don't think the deadline is until pretty much at the very end of this month.

Also I think the venue fee will go up by $5 by the end of Saturday night, so if you wanna save $5, definitely register before then :p

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I'm in Long Island, NY at school but I also hang out in Yonkers, NY. Parents house is in Westchester. I love Fountain and Yoshi's Island because knocking an opponent on the platforms and timing their roll to hit them again with another uair is fun.
were r u from on LI? i am always looking for new LI people to play

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I don't think the deadline is until pretty much at the very end of this month.

Also I think the venue fee will go up by $5 by the end of Saturday night, so if you wanna save $5, definitely register before then :p

Looks like I'm registering tonight then lol. Does registering guarantee me event access for the whole event? Are there spectator passes in case any of my friends go who aren't competing? (Never been to one of these before, only MLG events lol)

were r u from on LI? i am always looking for new LI people to play
Farmingdale

Top Bottom