• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
No problem Axe :D

While you're playing Armada in a set, you might come to a revelation, he might SD, or he may not be playing his best and you can just outplay him. :p If there's no chance other than that, at least there's that chance.

No problem, I enjoyed watching the stream! I kinda fell asleep before I could come back to it the second time I took a break but it happens, I guess. Learning that manisome will now be a wordd was hilarious. I definitely have to visit some for Melee when I either visit my uncle there or move there.

AXE 09

Smash Master
No problem Axe :D

While you're playing Armada in a set, you might come to a revelation, he might SD, or he may not be playing his best and you can just outplay him. :p If there's no chance other than that, at least there's that chance.

No problem, I enjoyed watching the stream! I kinda fell asleep before I could come back to it the second time I took a break but it happens, I guess. Learning that manisome will now be a wordd was hilarious. I definitely have to visit some for Melee when I either visit my uncle there or move there.
Yeah that's totally true about Armada, but it really wouldn't feel like a victory if he isn't playing at his best. I want all my opponents to be at their best for the ultimate challenge :) Either way though, Armada is my favorite player and he's super awesome as a person. He's the only player that I actually feel happy losing to I think =) I wanna try my hardest to not lose to anyone else, but the elite 5 are so tough, and not just them but also the people below them are so incredibly good.

Ah it's alright that you missed some of the stream lol. After Vman and I started playing, Smurf fell asleep and it was pretty quiet on the commentary anyways haha.

LMAO manisome XD

Hopefully we'll stream more tonight :) we'll see

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Good stuff on the stream Axe/Vman :)

Hey guys, today I played with some friends, and one of them ***** me with ganondorf. I freaking hate his fair lol. I tried wavedash OoS but he can fair me again before I could do something, he spaces it very well.
Could you give me some advices? I don't have ganon experience ._.
Btw, he's not a ganon main.
Do you keep your shield up after you wd oos? Or maybe try wd'ing past ganon instead of away...

I suppose you could also jump oos but Ganon's fair is like a wall, so you really don't want to jump at the wrong time.

Spyro

Smash Ace
I don't see how it's possible for me to ever beat Armada in a set. He's the 1 player who I feel like I have absolutely no chance of beating. With every other player, I feel like I at least have a shot at winning.
You can do it Axe, I have faith in you :).

For those of you who joined our stream yesterday (Sapphire Dragon, Rob, Dkuo, M2K?), thank you for watching and chatting with us :D
I loved watching the steam but I had to go to sleep in the middle of, or was gunna fall asleep in my chair if I did'nt :p.

(it really bothers me that it shows my name Ssbmspyro instead of ssbmSpyro but what ever.)

*EDIT*: Btw robin, that controler looks boss, I'm jelly :(.

Diske

Smash Rookie
Good stuff on the stream Axe/Vman :)

Do you keep your shield up after you wd oos? Or maybe try wd'ing past ganon instead of away...

I suppose you could also jump oos but Ganon's fair is like a wall, so you really don't want to jump at the wrong time.
I kept my shield once after de WD, but the fair was like "screw your shield! - free 17% - "
Well, thanks for the tips, Im gonna try WD away.
Btw, do you know if there's some video of axe vs any ganondorf? I was looking for one, but couldn't find any.

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
If your asking about jiggs, you should ask on the jiggs boards.

Yeah, it's really annyoing.
Nope I was asking about pikachu, I'm trying to transition from puff to pikachu and could use some help with the peach matchup, sorry for any confusion.

:phone:

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I kept my shield once after de WD, but the fair was like "screw your shield! - free 17% - "
Well, thanks for the tips, Im gonna try WD away.
Btw, do you know if there's some video of axe vs any ganondorf? I was looking for one, but couldn't find any.
tilt your shield or use lightshield :) or even better, don't ever end up in shield around ganon lol. one of the worst positions pika can be in for the matchup. don't force approaches or you'll just be stuck shielding next to ganon again...and be careful of ganon spacing/cc'ing your stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7gKL003QQw axe v en1xputed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txCutArMimc axe v linguini
if chad v linguini was recorded...that would be pretty cool <_<

@boomrested: play jiggs. :awesome:

seriously though, pika sucks vs peach. you can mess with her aerial game with your uair/usmash a bit, and axe mentioned earlier that throwing out fh fairs seems to disrupt peach play. i think (in theory) tilts should also be useful but i haven't played against peach in a while and i barely used tilts back when i did.

turnips are stupid, but pika can maneuver around them pretty well...or just grab them. don't be too tempted to though, my old roommate started using turnips tactically because i loved grabbing them out of the air so much -_- lol

edgeguarding peach is tricky as hell so you'll want to go for usmashes more often for the ko.

and be careful of her goddamn fair, that **** destroys pikachu...wait for it so you can make it whiff before doing anything. don't expect your shield to hold...if peach follows up fairing your shield with a dsmash, you should expect a shieldpoke. ;_; and peach can do a falling fair to counter a lot of aerial approaches...

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
How did you make it?
Spray Paint.

1. Grey enamel base coast primer.

2. Turquoise enamel color layer.

3. Add Pikachu stencil of blue painters tape.

4. Spray over with Black enamel color layer.

5. Peel back stickers to reveal image.

6. Add one to two layers of clear laquer finish. (I just hope it doesn't mess up now however because I found out I bought Laquer and not Acrylic Laquer, so I hope all isn't lost.)

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
1st Question: Is Pika good in teams with any character?
2nd Question: For OoS options, is (a) WD in place to Usmash. (b) WD back/forward to Usmash. Are both of these adequate options and which one is better than the other?

AXE 09

Smash Master
1st Question: Is Pika good in teams with any character?
2nd Question: For OoS options, is (a) WD in place to Usmash. (b) WD back/forward to Usmash. Are both of these adequate options and which one is better than the other?
Pikachu in general is pretty good in teams I think :)

WD back/forward to Usmash can be good depending on where your opponent is. If Falco (for example) is approaching with a shffl Dair and you happen to be blocking, WD back Usmash can make you dodge his Dair and counter with your Usmash.

If you want to Usmash in place, you can just Usmash OoS instead of doing a WD in place then Usmash. The WD in place is not necessary I don't think.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Spray Paint.

1. Grey enamel base coast primer.

2. Turquoise enamel color layer.

3. Add Pikachu stencil of blue painters tape.

4. Spray over with Black enamel color layer.

5. Peel back stickers to reveal image.

6. Add one to two layers of clear laquer finish. (I just hope it doesn't mess up now however because I found out I bought Laquer and not Acrylic Laquer, so I hope all isn't lost.)
It looks really cool. I'm gonna figure out what half this stuff means later and try it on an old controller. =p

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
my controller will be **** as well when I finish it :p

I was gonna paint it a long time ago, but my dog decided to chew on it, so it has bit marks all over the side so i decided not to paint it.

I'm getting a new white controller soon though, so I'll paint that.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
upsmash when you're partner grabs people.

uthrow and fthrow a lot.

throw out a bunch of jolts.

idk what else to tell you lol. just play a lot and you'll figure it out.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Actually, don't throw out a bunch of jolts - with team attack on, they're susceptible to interfering your teammate's flow. Personally I only use jolts if I'm facing away from my partner unless I'm trying to break an opponent's combo on my teammate or something, but even then it's faster if I just run in and aerial/jab. Only jolt a lot if you're trying to establish control of the main stage while your teammate can cover the rest of the stage without interference.

Pika leans towards being a support character but is generally one of the most flexible characters for teams. Since teams is so hectic, people get flung off the stage all the time...so (personally) I want to be closer to whatever edge the opponents are closer to in order to cover tailspike opportunities as often as possible. In the same vein (of getting quick KO's) I look out for high % opponents to usmash.

Just a note - Pika tends to get away with a lot of random things in teams that are typically unsafe since he's so hard to hit (eg. grabs tend to be a lot easier to land). Because of this, feel free to be a bit experimental.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
enh, my partner just likes when I throw out a bunch of jolts. they help him get out of combos if he's getting smacked and we usually take the outside and push out opponents inwards, so the jolts will tend to hit them more than my partner.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
So I'm thinking up colors/designs for my next controller, any thoughts? suggestions?

I want this one to have a lighter/brighter color scheme since my Pika controller was dark.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I can't give them to you because they are what i'm gonna use on my new controller once I get it :p
Haha Nice ;) Just be careful to use the right finish coat!!! I used a matte finish that was made for metals and it chewed right through the color paints on my first remote(afraid to post pics). You're going to be using enamel based paints, which is what most hobby shops will advise you to use on plastics, you can even provide them with the face plate of the controller and ask what paints they would recommend.

I used a clear lacquer finish on my controller and its quite smooth. The recipe that seemed to work was as follows:

1 coat enamel primer
1 coat enamel color #1
1 coat enamel color #2
3 coats lacquer finish (I was advised acrylic lacquer for plastics, but lacquer worked out fine too)

Each can of spray paint cost me $4-$6 totaling about $16 which is not bad considering the results! Also, don't forget to wash your remote vigorously with soap and water using a toothbrush, it will help in the adhering process. Allow 30 - 45 min. for the primer and color paints to dry before adding a new layer/color. Allow up to 3 hours for the lacquer finish to get bone dry before adding each additional coat. Allow up to 24 hours for the lacquer finish to cure.

If I haven't mentioned it before, this is also a great opportunity to clean that controller! After you've waited for the final coating of lacquer to cure, you may use rough paper towels(like the one's they use in mall's and public bathrooms ;) ) to sand down any of the silt or dust that may have gotten trapped in the lacquer. It will also remove that grainy feeling you'll notice when picking it up for the first time.

SAFETY FIRST!!!

Where rubber gloves and cover your face, I used a hospital mask just because my dad works at a hospital and we have them handy. At least try to cover your mouth and nose with a cloth of sorts.

This makes a great and fun project for anyone :)

Can't wait to reveal next controller hehe

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
wow thats really helpful actually lol.
I was just gonna go over the whole thing (white controller) with paint after I took the face plate off lol.

shows how much I know about painting stuff :x

I'm a graphic design student, but I spend all my time with the computer rather than the airbrush stuff, so i never really learned how to do anything xP

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Spray paint works a charm and you can add really cool effects with it too.

More on smash terms, I started using Pika's uair when holding onto the edge as a means to knockback my opponent if they're anticipating me climbing up to the stage with an attack to which they can shield grab me. Works like a charm = D

EDIT**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LD2QY3ZRE

Pika(Axe) vs. Fox/Marth 0.o

Griffard

Smash Ace
Don't know if you knew, but I'm actually female, lol. And yeah, getting back into smash is definitely going to be good. I live in Baton Rouge actually. My mom lives in Marrero though, which is near Metairie, so I visit the NOLA area sometimes.

That's my problem too. I rarely get to go to tournaments so I basically get no practice with people. :/
My bad, I was unaware. And cool! Well I'm sure I'll see you at Dibbz sometime next year then!

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Falco Dittos! Axe's Falco still underrated. "sigh"

^that's the spirit.

Random note: Hey Axe, I know you don't care about your Falco as much as you care about your Pikachu, but I do know you pride yourself in Falco dittos... Thot i'd post some motivation for you...

Copy/pasted my post from thread.
i think axe would get rolled in the Falco ditto these days.
I disagree, I won't say whom I think would win. Both PP and Axe are tremendous players but Axe getting "rolled" in the ditto, nah, You're not giving his falco enough credit...

It's cool though, I'm the one who called his Pikachu extraordinary and best 4 years ago and NOONE believing me till they saw it performing, so it's fine.. I'll just wait till he proves everyone wrong.... again.

I know Kevin respects Axe's Falco as well.
/Axe's defense.

AXE 09

Smash Master
No problem, and awesome! :D

Be sure to post some in the LA thread come January so you can know when the tourney dates are. Can't wait to match you. :)
So... AZ is gonna have a pretty well sized regional tournament in Aapril. I think it would be awesome if you could make this your first out of state tournament :) Plz come!

That goes to all of you! I don't wanna be the only Pika player there lol :) The tournament is called NYTE, and it's basically my birthday tournament (I turn 21 on April 7th :D). Here's the link:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=309171

EDIT:

Yes I am a Pika main, but... I'm still very confident in my Falco too. Vman offers the best training in Falco dittos I could ever ask for, along with quite a few other different Falcos with various styles. PP's Falco is incredible, and I know it'll be extremely difficult to keep up with him. But I still play Falco a lot, and he's not much worse than my Pika I don't think. Hopefully we'll find out soon how that match will go ^^

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
No problem, and awesome! :D

Be sure to post some in the LA thread come January so you can know when the tourney dates are. Can't wait to match you. :)
you guys are from LA?
Talk to Kingklubber, he's looking for some people to play with and thinks that nobody in LA plays melee.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Lol yeah, we are. I'll talk to him and tell him about the thread. :)

He might be in a dead area of LA though, the only really active places are probably Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans. The majority of northern Louisiana is pretty dry.

Edit: Is he from AiB? His name isn't on SWF, even with a space between the two words o.o

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
haha, sorry I always call him klubber xP

anyways yea, idk where he is from. he usually doesn't travel for smash and doesn't go to tourneys that require him to travel too far, and I was sure that in a city like LA there would have to be some smashers.

anyways, found this the other day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWIFWNU2EKI

Top Bottom