• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Pika has so much potential for flashiness. I think that's what originally pulled me to him. Tailspikes, shffl'd nairs and uair spikes all seemed so sexy. Nowadays I have a hard time finding a character that can match his maneuverability apart from fastfallers, none of which I play well, if not for a lack of trying. It's also hard to find a character that has the options on the ledge that pikachu does. Pikachu doesn't have too many top tier qualities, but the ones he does have I'm just so spoiled with that playing other characters just causes me to complain about. Quite possibly because all the weaknesses pikachu has causes me to rely on the good ones.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
My Pika played many times better than my Falco today. Granted it's been a while since I played someone + that someone isn't very experienced in the matchup, but it's been a long time since I could say that. Pika gimmicks are hilarious :)

edit - forgot to mention...I also learned I need to put in a lot of practice between now and apex <_<

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I've noticed I too often try to sweet spot from below opposed from above. I don't get that auto sweet spot as much as I should. I think its just natural tendency to wanna put something between me and the opponent, that being the edge of the stage.

WIDL

We Are Born
So, I've played Pikachu since I bought this game, but I have never really fully commited to him. I've mained Marth, Fox and Peach, but always mained Pikachu for low-tier. Now I feel Pikachu is the character that suits me most, and I wanna become even better with him. I've experienced some success with him lately, pulling games from fastfallers especially. However, I play the PAL version. Are there any significant differences from the NTSC version? I've heard that his up-smash is weaker, he's lighter and so on.

Btw. Axe, you're my hero. :'D <3

AXE 09

Smash Master
Btw. Axe, you're my hero. :'D <3
=D =D =D <3

Lol

As far as I know, there are no differences between PAL and NTSC Pikachu. The main things you gotta watch out for though are that NTSC Sheik Dthrow -> regrab/Fair, and Marth/Falco Dairs (Falco now has a larger window of time to hit you with his spike, and of course you can't meteor cancel Marth's Dair anymore).

Robin, it's kinda funny how that works out lol! What are the odds :D

Dkuo plz do your absolute best!! I wanna see you move on to round 2 pools. I saw your pool. Doesn't BBQ play Pikachu too?

:phone:

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I will :D and he's a Marth player I believe. That would be pretty cool if 2 pika players were in a pool lol :)

I did some pool research...all of the players in my pool have a lot more experience than me and have higher placings in their regions. Really tough pool...but I'm feeling pretty confident ^^ Lots of training shall be done this week. Does anyone have advide for link btw? J66's link is really good against falco so I'm considering going full pika against him, and maybe against the falcons too.Nvm, he was switched out for Mattdotzeb. Falco :D

Axe, I may see you at Smelly Cat's pre-Apex tourney depending on if everyone going with me agrees to go :D

Good luck in pools Axe/Robin!

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I will :D and he's a Marth player I believe. That would be pretty cool if 2 pika players were in a pool lol :)

I did some pool research...all of the players in my pool have a lot more experience than me and have higher placings in their regions. Really tough pool...but I'm feeling pretty confident ^^ Lots of training shall be done this week. Does anyone have advide for link btw? J66's link is really good against falco so I'm considering going full pika against him, and maybe against the falcons too.

Axe, I may see you at Smelly Cat's pre-Apex tourney depending on if everyone going with me agrees to go :D

Good luck in pools Axe/Robin!
I think I'll try my best for the skill level I'm at, tbh I'd like to walk away with third. I'm still kind of that noobie smasher, not having short hops %100 probably isn't going to work in my favor, but %80 of the time will have to suffice.

I'm probably going to take a lot of media pics/videos and down the line when I get better use it as sort of a "The Beginnning Stages" kind of thing ;)

And good luck Pika's!!!

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm staying with a friend's friend in NJ. Lucky me :bee:

also nvm I won't be going to Smelly Cat's tourney

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Same man tbh his performance will probably influence the determination level of other Pika's. Once I get knocked out of pools, I'll be rootin for ya Axe !

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
No that is a actual player lol.
Oh oops lol.

Well, in recent news. V3ctorman is in my pool, who has about idk, 5.37 billion hours of playing time against Pikachu. Oh and that's 5.01 billion hours of playing time against Axe's Pikachu. I'm really gunning for that Zero guy. I want to beat someone. That's my goal, win that first set.

My Pool:

Bl@ckChris
Palpi
Robin
V3ctorman
Zero

soju

SD God
Lol, its the weekend eh? Do momma proud boys :awesome:

Anyways, improvement improvement improvement @~@ might stream tonight with a couple of scrubs that are my friends <3

Palpi

Smash Hero
Oh oops lol.

Well, in recent news. V3ctorman is in my pool, who has about idk, 5.37 billion hours of playing time against Pikachu. Oh and that's 5.01 billion hours of playing time against Axe's Pikachu. I'm really gunning for that Zero guy. I want to beat someone. That's my goal, win that first set.

My Pool:

Bl@ckChris
Palpi
Robin
V3ctorman
Zero
I have a good amount of pikachu practice, good luck :)

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
I'm really upset I ended up not being able to get a ride to apex after all even though I live pretty close but oh well, I couldn't have entered because of school on friday anyway. In any case, good luck to all of you pika players out there, make me proud to play him. Robin I hope you beat zero, I've never heard of him which is a good sign but while you're there make sure the whole time you focus on improving, not winning. Dkuo if you don't make it outta first round pools ima be pissed (loljk) but seriously good luck. And as for this guy named axe or something, I don't think you really need luck cause you'll get top 5 at least without it but good luck anyway. Really sad I won't get to play any of you this weekend but I'm sure there will be more chances in the future and I look forward to it.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I have a good amount of pikachu practice, good luck :)
:c

I'm really upset I ended up not being able to get a ride to apex after all even though I live pretty close but oh well, I couldn't have entered because of school on friday anyway. In any case, good luck to all of you pika players out there, make me proud to play him. Robin I hope you beat zero, I've never heard of him which is a good sign but while you're there make sure the whole time you focus on improving, not winning. Dkuo if you don't make it outta first round pools ima be pissed (loljk) but seriously good luck. And as for this guy named axe or something, I don't think you really need luck cause you'll get top 5 at least without it but good luck anyway. Really sad I won't get to play any of you this weekend but I'm sure there will be more chances in the future and I look forward to it.
I plan on entering maybe some locals and testing out my skills before entering another major tourney like Apex. My goal as I said is to beat this Zero guy and to improve and learn as much as possible. I'm also going to try to take lots of pictures with my ipod touch. I want a pic with Axe no doubt and the other Pika players.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uhm, well good luck I guess. Id advise you to get as many games in as possible. Try to learn from your losses. Don't just play the n00by players, try to get some games against pros.
don't get discouraged if you get wrecked, learn from it.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
uhm, well good luck I guess. Id advise you to get as many games in as possible. Try to learn from your losses. Don't just play the n00by players, try to get some games against pros.
don't get discouraged if you get wrecked, learn from it.
Well by default I have to play V3torman, Palpi, and Bl@ckChris. Already some competition for me there lol

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
play more people.
Play with Mango and PP and Armada (but I guess you have to MM him) if you can.
Play with everybody there lol.

Spyro

Smash Ace
@iRobinhoood: Kind of funny you got Vman in your pool, I really want to play him and I should get plenty of Pikachu vs Yoshi practice with Moo (Yoshiiscool [you may or may not have heard of him but he's a really good Yoshi main from Tennessee]) once I get a chance to start really playing competitively, but I really can't say anything now because I'm a super scrub :c.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
my advice for Vman:

go watch a bunch of videos of him vs Axe. Look at what Axe does to kill Vman, and look at the situations in which axe gets killed (in order to avoid them)

soju

SD God
Was watching the stream for the most part, missed a lot of pools/bracket, lost all thought of Mango being the best after not only losing but giving up against HBox. Javi put in work, and the Grand Finals was disgusting but I kept watching hoping I could see HBox's ness. Crew battles were a bit hype even though I knew MRCA was going to win, and that extra add-on to the world vs. the sandbagging legend made me get hype. The stream overall was good until GF. . .XD

Anyways, hope ya got a lot of friendlies in and how was fighting armada? I hope to join the next big one.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
AXE, ICE, Armada, hands down some of the coolest/chillest players. Axe 2nd place for swag rockin dem sunglasses while playing match lol(Shiz obviously 1st haha)

Also Axe thanks for clearing up some questions I had for stage/character selection rules and also DI.

Met up with dkuo as well but honestly one of my favorite moments was after a friendly getting up and finding out Axe/dkuo was watching me play Pika. Apex was ****in awesome.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I don't think I'll be entering another national until I improve my locals performance at least a little bit. I lost 0-2 to everyone in my pool except for Arby who forfeited the pool for some reason...? I brought Hax to FD but forgot to go for grabs until my last stock >_< and I barely did any mixups with my approaches for all of the matches when going Pika. Tourney nerves still get to me I guess, which makes me think I'm approaching this game with a completely wrong mindset...as for the positives, I made some breakthroughs (imo) in how I play after going through dozens of friendlies. :D

Good meeting you Axe and Robin. Sorry that I didn't get to play Pika dittos with either of you :( maybe next time! Axe, good **** in crews taking on 2 of Pika's harder matchups so strongly :) super impressive. And you beat linguini!

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I don't think I'll be entering another national until I improve my locals performance at least a little bit. I lost 0-2 to everyone in my pool except for Arby who forfeited the pool for some reason...? I brought Hax to FD but forgot to go for grabs until my last stock >_< and I barely did any mixups with my approaches for all of the matches when going Pika. Tourney nerves still get to me I guess, which makes me think I'm approaching this game with a completely wrong mindset...as for the positives, I made some breakthroughs (imo) in how I play after going through dozens of friendlies. :D

Good meeting you Axe and Robin. Sorry that I didn't get to play Pika dittos with either of you :( maybe next time! Axe, good **** in crews taking on 2 of Pika's harder matchups so strongly :) super impressive. And you beat linguini!
You had Hax in your pool??? OMG did you see him vs. SFAT in Winners Bracket? Game 3 Triple chain grab on Fox to a SHFFL'd knee for the last stock. The whole room lit up. I grab alright but I always forget my dsmash to kill most approaches and also add on a decent amount of damage. Good for throwing the enemy up into a uair also.

That and I also want to incorporate dtilts into my dash dancing game as a kind of bait/fakeout. Axe is superbly pro at this lol.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Yeah I was there. SFAT with that west coast DI, he's gotta DI away from that dthrow...still a great player though. The bracket overall was stacked.

I almost never dsmash now unless I'm in a bind, effective way to reset the match. It's like my alternative to rolling or spotdodgiong, I'm just glad nobody's been baiting it out -_-

Also, I'll be uploading some friendlies soon! I hope I get some feedback from you guys :)

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Something clicked in me after Apex, something deep inside. I just spent the last 2 hours practicing short hop dairs with Falcon(My Higher Tier Secondary after Pikachu) o.0

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
my highest tier character is Fox :p
My lowest tier character is Kirby (because Pichu is clearly better than him, the tierlist just lies)

Top Bottom