• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

AXE 09

Smash Master
Yeah there's not a whole lot of Pikachu players :glare:. I do know that there is one other pikachu player in Tennessee but that's it.
I'm the only Pika player in AZ. Makes me so sad lol.

Well I mean Taj/Fwd/Vman all have Pikas but... you know what I mean haha

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lmao Axe, those signatures of yours would be so epic, but they always look so weird because of the frame skipping lol. It always looks like something really stupid is happening :p

AXE 09

Smash Master
lmao Axe, those signatures of yours would be so epic, but they always look so weird because of the frame skipping lol. It always looks like something really stupid is happening :p
Is there frame skipping??? Shoot it looks perfectly clear on my computer lol. Darn it, I made this one through photoshop and everything :( idk what else to do to make it clear lol.

:phone:

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
It's clear to me, dunno about anyone else though.

So I was wondering, what are your thoughts on pikachu dittos? It's actually perhaps my least favorite match up in the game, what about you guys?

By the way I took a stock off of Mango's marth in pools at rom with pika which was better than my falco <_<
/pride

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The GIF is fine on my computer. It must just be his computer sucking.

AXE 09

Smash Master
It's clear to me, dunno about anyone else though.

So I was wondering, what are your thoughts on pikachu dittos? It's actually perhaps my least favorite match up in the game, what about you guys?
Oh lol. Thanks guys :D

You know, I always felt like Pikachu is a hard matchup for himself LOL. He's so small and hard to hit. Like I swear, fighting Pikachu is so hard! I guess I'm just bad at that matchup. It's like 40/60 Pikachu lol.

:phone:

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
besides the gif being small it looks fine. let me just ask.check since i am not a pika, whats happening in the gif is u super wavedash to f-smash by using your up-B and his lasers right?

edit: and i come to this board b/c u guys r pretty chill

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I generally dislike dittos because they're not a good way to prove who's a better player, even though everyone takes it as such; and I don't really like the feeling of having to compare myself with someone else. I like being unique. That being said, I don't think the pikachu matchup is that bad. I've pulled off some combos I never would have been able to try with a high tier character. However it may just have been that I understood the character better than my opponent.

AXE 09

Smash Master
He's obviously compensating for something.
ON BLAST LOL =D

besides the gif being small it looks fine. let me just ask.check since i am not a pika, whats happening in the gif is u super wavedash to f-smash by using your up-B and his lasers right?

edit: and i come to this board b/c u guys r pretty chill
In a nutshell, I quick attack across the floor into my thunderjolt (which cancels my quick attack, basically having the effect of a SWD), then just Fsmash :) The lasers didn't do anything lol. You can SWD off of any attack with relatively low priority.

And heck yeah!! I love all you Pika guys =D You should see all the drama that goes on in some of the other character specific boards. I've wandered into the Yoshi and Marth threads somewhat recently and there's some ridiculous drama going down =O Makes me so happy that all that stuff never happens here (except for when that XIII Ways To Die kid was here if any of you remember him).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

You know, I always felt like Pikachu is a hard matchup for himself LOL. He's so small and hard to hit. Like I swear, fighting Pikachu is so hard! I guess I'm just bad at that matchup. It's like 40/60 Pikachu lol.
I'm currently dying at this paragraph.

but yeah his sig is just his quick attack clanking with the thunder jolt and his momentum from QA being transferred & somewhat amplified because clanking is weird and then ****.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
The GIF is fine on my computer. It must just be his computer sucking.
enh, it must be. sorry lolz.

and this board is probably the most chill character specific board.
you even let scrub pichus come here ^^

btw, I learned that Pichu/Pika is a silly matchup.
pika/pichu is like pika/pika except where you are half the size of the other one :S

its fun as hell, but I suck at it lolz.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I don't really like pika dittos...a bit slow imo :urg: or maybe I just don't know how to play against pika.
I've wandered into the Yoshi and Marth threads somewhat recently and there's some ridiculous drama going down =O
I had to check the Yoshi boards after reading this, felt like I stepped into a warzone o_o

Also, saw leffen post a video about his shield dropping method. I can't believe I'm just seeing this now after all this time so I'm sharing it here too. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, happy thanksgiving everyone. I'll be JV5'ing that turkey all day.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Just registered for Melee singles at Apex. Suddenly very excited for January :)

Axe, you're playing Brawl teams? Interesting.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941

Wellllllll if you enter both events, you get an extra raffle ticket for a 3DS :)
I lol'd so hard at this post xD

3ds is pree boss ^^
there will be a smash bros for it.
but that will probably suck, but I'll hope its gonna be good anyways.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I want to incorporate Pikachu's quick attack more in my gameplay for movement purposes like around the stage and such. I see it in a lot of pika matchups. My melee skill is not the best but so far my average match goes as follows:

- Wavedashing for spacing(e.g. Marth's f-smash), grabbing, edge hogging quickly
- Tailspike for edge guarding
- Downsmash against aerials
- Side-tilt for edgeguarding against falco/fox/falcon
- Lot's of shielding attacks followed by a grab to setup short 2 - 3 hit combos

Just trying to incorporate as many different but effective attacks. There's sooooo much to learn and that's why I love this game = )

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uh.... you should work on basics before techskill.
Pika is fat and his upB lags too much.

I like using it for gimping spacies.

and its pretty good for recovering too :p

Spyro

Smash Ace
The only way I can see quick attack being used more in the Pika metagame is if they are all ledge canceled so Pikachu can move around the stage quicker but doing this consistently would be next to impossible in real matches and I can only see it being used at very situational times.

soju

SD God
:B quick attack resets are boss as fook though, and if you do it right most of the lag can be tooken out of every quick attack making it a somewhat viable option. Oh and I'm mad, the pika ditto between me and axe where I get ***** to the depths of Oblivion has been blocked in this country, MAD FACE >:B

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
its not impossible... its very possible.
you just have to learn how far it goes.

I ledge cancel Pichu's agility all the time.

EDIT: Soju you silly. It has more than 1 frame of lag, therefore its useless.

Spyro

Smash Ace
I did not say it was impossible, I said it was next to impossible lol, but I guess I was over exaggerating just a little bit (actually I was over exaggerating a lot).

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
It's tricky but definitely doable. There are some platform cancels that are easy to get that you should keep in mind.

• DL64: http://imgur.com/SVE3R Edgehogging puts you in the proper horizontal position to edgecancel the side platforms, which means you can recover from the edge by dropping slightly from the ledge, going up for your first zip and going to the side (in this case, into the stage) for your second zip (I'll refer to this as up->side later on). The top platform can be cancelled by doing a horizontal zip using the inside edge of the side platforms as a guide but you'll have to position yourself vertically by eye.
  • BF: http://imgur.com/jM2z5 I used to think that you could edgecancel from the ledge (like DL64) but it actually just puts you into the landing animation (which has a little lag, so it's still viable). The horizontal spot for where you can actually cancel the side platform from is right between the point where you edgehog and the point where you're on the very edge of the main stage. Also, you can up->side up+B from the main stage to cancel the top platform from the very edge of the octagon - make sure pika's feet are right on the border though.
  • YS: The lower level of Randall (the cloud) puts you at the right height to up->side cancel the side platforms, but you'll have to time the horizontal position on your own. Obviously not very useful...
  • FoD: You can cancel the side platforms the same way you do for DL, but it's even trickier because the platform heights constantly change.
  • FD: None obviously...
  • Note: The distance between the main stage and the top platform is too close for you to do an up->side from the stage on any of the stages other than BF, but there was a pika player a while ago who used to do up->sides ending slightly above and before the platform edge so that he would fall forwards just a little and end up edgecancelling. I forgot his name though, but I saw it in a video lol.
That's all I can think of for easy edgecancel references, I think I covered everything?

Spyro

Smash Ace
Edgecanceling is grabbing the edge while invincible? Sorry still new to the vocab.
No, Pikachu's up-b edgecanceling is done by doing up-b and canceling the lag by falling off the ledge, regulare edgecanceling is when a character dose an aerial attack and canceling it the same way that Pikachu cancels his up-b. I’m not too sure on the details of how edgecanceling works, but you have to be right on top of the edge when your up-b is over or be in a middle of an aerial attack when you land right on the edge. Sorry if I poorly explained how to do it.

Top Bottom