• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
the matches r pretty boring, but i still can't help but love seeing a ylink in a set deep in a tourney. So i think that alone should be hype

AXE 09

Smash Master
No I mean no offense to the hungriest of all boxes lol. Just makes me happy to see him get a taste of his own medicine =) no offense to him

:phone:

Spyro

Smash Ace
I was ok with seeing armada (y link) vs hbox (jiggs) the first time but it was the most unhype thing at genesis 2 (as far as the main sets to get hyped about anyway, I would not want to watch 2 scrubs doing jiggs dittos that was from some pools set).

oukd

Smash Lord
I haven't played Jiggs enough to decide how the matchup goes...but so far it hasn't been too bad. Then again, I don't play campy Jiggs players.

Also: don't know if this has been posted yet, if you do a pikamoonwalk on the ufo on fourside/any other slippery surface...

lol :bee:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
be a pokemon master and secondary mewtwo jiggz and. . . wait no that character just sucks <3
no that character is amazing.

also, Armada's ylink is... enh... not really a ylink, tbh. Actually, a lot of ylink players that I've met really hate armada's ylink.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
IAlso: don't know if this has been posted yet, if you do a pikamoonwalk on the ufo on fourside/any other slippery surface...

lol :bee:
Ah, that ufo :D So many memories. I've done that plenty of times. You can super wavedash on top of it too, and some attacks carry you halfway across.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
no that character is amazing.

also, Armada's ylink is... enh... not really a ylink, tbh. Actually, a lot of ylink players that I've met really hate armada's ylink.
The thing is his ylink is there for one thing and one thing only. So his ylink doesn't have to be a ylink it just has to do the one thing he wants it to do.

Also how many ylinks mains r there to claim what a ylink is? (not a jab just wondering)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I've met about 5 ylink mains in ohio... but only 2 or 3 count.

Actually young links that are active in the community... maybe 7 or 8... idk.

Spyro

Smash Ace
Axe have you ever thought about trying competitive smash 64?

Also, I think I’m just going to main Pikachu without secondaries so I won’t have to worry about learning other characters and just focus on Pikachu and be a Jiggs slayer :awesome:.

AXE 09

Smash Master

lol
Lol!!!! That made my day hahaha :D

And yeah I actually do wanna play 64, I think it's fun as heck :D but unfortunately I don't have it and I'm too focused on Melee to try to get competitive in something else right now lol

I also think pika jiggs is like 60:40 Jiggs, possibly worse

Spyro

Smash Ace
Spyro being brave ftw

I don't have secondaries, tbh. Pika or bust for me in all Smash games. If I lose, I lose.
Having secondaries slows down how fast you advance your game. Just pick a character and stick with him/her. Just look at Hax, he’s considered a Sheik slayer and Sheik is one of Falcon’s worst matchup.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
TBH I don't agree with this, but that's just my opinion

I disagree too, viewing other character's functionality takes a complete different mindset as to how you approach every matchup, it's pretty interesting. So when you know how the characters function a lot better than it becomes even easier to read the opponent.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I disagree too, viewing other character's functionality takes a complete different mindset as to how you approach every matchup, it's pretty interesting. So when you know how the characters function a lot better than it becomes even easier to read the opponent.
Exactly this, couldn't have said it better myself lol.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Axe i already told u i could probably give u a discounted ticket if you wanted to travel OOC

sheik is not as bad vs falcon as people think. I'm just really good at it. S2J just 3-0d kirbykaze recently and they are pretty similar skill level I'd say, or close enough where that shouldn't happen if the MU was really that bad. i also beat nihonjin's sheik w/ falcon both times we played that MU at pound5 friendlies, but i lost the sheik ditto and marth friendly immediately before. It's prolly 55 or 60 (at very most) favor sheik honestly

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
That's very true. I used to play as Yoshi some in Melee for events and such where Pika wasn't an option, and I'm pretty good against Yoshis as a result. I find them super fun to play, and I can read them better. If I was serious about getting competitive, I would probably play as every character until I could beat a lv. 9 and lv 6/8 CPU with each one, and still main Pika for all competitive matches. I'd know my opponents' options pretty well by that point, even if CPUs do suck, I would've still had enough practice to learn the character I was playing a bit.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Exactly this, couldn't have said it better myself lol.

^this

^also this

TBH I don't agree with this, but that's just my opinion

quoted for truth.

Having secondaries slows down how fast you advance your game. Just pick a character and stick with him/her. Just look at Hax, he’s considered a Sheik slayer and Sheik is one of Falcon’s worst matchup.
I actually believe the EXACT opposite, in this, to me it has further developed how quickly I advanced my game, and I'm sure the same w/axe as well..and perhaps many other players, I don't think I'd have a successful, Yoshi, Roy, Mewtwo, Samus, Falco, Fox, multiple chars at all, if it weren't for me to play these other characters..

oukd

Smash Lord
and having more than two mains means you can counterpick your opponent even more :troll:

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I'm going to spend an hour learning pikachu's chaingrab on fast fallers so that I can counterpick them on fd. especially falcon mains. I want to win tournaments which is why I want to do this. People may call this "gay", but when money is on the line, I'm doing it.

THESE ARE THE PIKACHU BOARDS! why is the sheik vs falcon mu here, lol. s2j almost lost to tink's sheik....but eh. I believe it's 50-50.

Spyro

Smash Ace
Having two mains will slow down your advancement, but having a secondary or two will give you more understanding of the depth of the game.
I agree with this more now after reading the posts, I might secondary characters that Pikachu has a hard time dealing with so I can better understand the character and what he/she want to do but I don't think I would use them in tournaments.

Spyro

Smash Ace
What do you guys thing about :pika: vs :yoshi:? I have a hard time gimping Yoshi with Pikachu. Yoshi likes to trade hits and because Pikachu really does not have a lot of hard hitting moves other than Upsmash and Fsmash, I feel like Yoshi wins a lot of those trade wars.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Pikachu's uair breaks yoshi's jump armor around 35-40 percent, but only if you hit yoshi with the initial hitbox, I.E. the hitbox that sends opponents up. I've been looking into pikachu's moonwalk for this purpose offstage, but it would require an immense knowledge of jump timing and aerial trajectory, so I haven't had much luck with it. What really screws it up is the odd motion of yoshi's jump and the fact that moonwalking takes longer for you to get off the ground.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Oohhh Pika vs Yoshi. This matchup is surprisingly tough. I would say it's almost an even matchup. Possibly 55:45 Pika's favor. It's not too hard to gimp Yoshi if he does not have his double jump, but breaking his super armor while he has it is tough. When I fight vman, usually the only gimps I get is when he uses his double jump on stage and I juggle him all the way off stage. If he's off stage while he has his double jump, it's rare I'll get a gimp lol. I pretty much only get the kill if he's at a decently high percent.

oukd

Smash Lord
Ha, this discussion reminds me - back when I just started I always played against a Yoshi main, and for the longest time I thought I was doing something wrong since I had so much more difficulty gimping (or even killing) Yoshi than I expected...turns out that if you're really smart with your double jumps you can avoid Pikachu's gimping tactics effectively. Starting at 76% you can dair through his super armor.

Falco's shine breaks it at 0% lolololol

N64

Smash Champion
agree with axe and dkuo. It's probably 55:45 in favor of pikachu. Pika caaaaan gimp Yoshi, but it's more difficult than you'd probably expect at first (against decent yoshis anyway). Yoshi can do alright against you in the air, and generally beats you on the ground, so you need to manage a gimp or two each match to get ahead. He also has some relatively damaging combos on you. I think it's a fun matchup, but pretty even.

leffen

Smash Champion
I feel like the matchup is 55-45 in Yoshis advantage tbh, maybe because I play PAL. Its probably even in NTSC though.

I feel like if yoshi just sticks to defensive, safe aerials and ground pokes he will win over Pikachus poor priority.

We definitely have to play at Apex Axe ;D

Diske

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm new here.
I'm a pika main from Tijuana BC, Mexico.
It's been a long time since I start reading these threats, but I didn't posted anything.
Anyway, last friday I recorded a match with a friend, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advices of how do I play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3FkDcPvYoU
Thanks to all of you who read this.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I feel like the matchup is 55-45 in Yoshis advantage tbh, maybe because I play PAL. Its probably even in NTSC though.

I feel like if yoshi just sticks to defensive, safe aerials and ground pokes he will win over Pikachus poor priority.

We definitely have to play at Apex Axe ;D
Haha sounds good :)

Hey guys, I'm new here.
It's been a long time since I start reading these threats, but I didn't posted anything.
Anyway, last friday I recorded a match with a friend, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advices of how do I play.
Holy crap a Pikachu main from MEXICO?!?! That's awesome! I'll watch your match in a little bit :) Welcome to the Pika boards

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Hey guys, I'm new here.
Welcome to the Pika boards. :D Glad you decided to post! :)

As for the match, I love the offensive Pikachu. :D I'd definitely say switch your offensive playstyle with a defensive style sometimes, to keep them on their toes and make it harder to read your moves. Definitely needs more spotdodges. I can't go into specifics though because I'm not that experienced yet. An experienced Pika here can help you with that. :p

Spyro

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm new here.
Hi and welcome to the :pikachu:boards. I can’t really help you out cause I don’t really have that much experience in real matches :( (mostly because I don’t have a ride to get to anyway [smashfests, tournaments, ect]). It is nice to see that more people are picking out Pikachu though :).

Diske

Smash Rookie

Holy crap a Pikachu main from MEXICO?!?! That's awesome! I'll watch your match in a little bit :) Welcome to the Pika boards
LOL you're awesome man, and thanks for the welcome (=

Welcome to the Pika boards. :D Glad you decided to post!

As for the match, I love the offensive Pikachu. :D I'd definitely say switch your offensive playstyle with a defensive style sometimes, to keep them on their toes and make it harder to read your moves. Definitely needs more spotdodges. I can't go into specifics though because I'm not that experienced yet. An experienced Pika here can help you with that.
Spot dodges, yeah I barely do them, thanks for the advice and the welcome, it's great to be here.

Hi and welcome to the boards. I can’t really help you out cause I don’t really have that much experience in real matches (mostly because I don’t have a ride to get to anyway [smashfests, tournaments, ect]). It is nice to see that more people are picking out Pikachu though .
Thanks, and yeah, seen a pika play is like OH MY GOD DON'T STOP lol

oukd

Smash Lord
Welcome to the Pika boards :D

I decided to write a little bit about your match. Granted I'm not the voice of authority here so if anyone disagrees with something I wrote feel free to point it out. This is more of an exercise for myself than anything, but I think this might be helpful.
[COLLAPSE="Diske vs AB"]overall the biggest thing you probably want to work on is to learn to conserve your 2nd jump on stage more often - you almost always doublejump forward (most of the times with an uair) to reset your position after getting hit/comboed (ie 0:18, 0:27 0:34 1:07 1:29 1:35 2:43 just to name a few) and a lot of times you end up getting punished for it. even though you're trying to gain back control with your jump, you're actually putting yourself in a position where you can be easily juggled/ko'd because you lose control of your falling trajectory + pikachu's low aerial horizontal velocity. teching/wiggling out of stun is safer simply because you retain your 2nd jump and you aren't stuck above your opponent without your doublejump. there are cases where it's safe to use it on stage though (2:11) as long as your opponent isn't in a position to punish it. (the reason i pointed this out is because i used to have the same problem. i still do it out of reaction sometimes >_< I used to use it because I didn't know you could just wiggle out of tumble and that was the only way i knew how to exit tumbling frames)

additionally, you'll want to focus on when to approach. you want to assess that your approach will be safe or have a good follow-up before going in. you should be looking for openings and poking holes in your opponent's playstyle rather than forcing an opening.

Some smaller points:
0:12 - see that point where you tried to punish his platform tech with your doublejump uair? unless your timing is insanely accurate, it's really hard to techchase with uair because hitbox window is so small (only 6 frames) making it easy to shield. an early nair here would have been better since it lasts longer (26 frames) meaning you could do it almost half a second early and still guarantee putting a hitbox on his first vulnerable frame (think meaties in traditional fighters). in this case you saw his roll so you could mash out a nair on reaction right after your first uair and it would have most likely hit. also in this specific case it would have been safer to not use a rising aerial in case he shields your punish attempt, which he did and probably tried to punish you for it since he put his shield down right after - as i said earlier, being above an opponent without your second jump is one of pika's most dangerous positions. if you fell to the bottom you would have still successfully put pressure on him with a falling aerial (even if he shielded it) plus you would be under a falcon on a platform which is a lot more advantageous of a position.

0:15 - always assume your opponent will react to you approaching them when they're on the ground. it's pretty easy to use getup attack invincibility on reaction to avoid someone attacking you when you're on the ground. if he did a getup attack you would have been punished for your hasty usmash (or it would have clashed, not sure...)

1:15 - don't charge in with a nair if falcon is just doing stationary nairs, it will usually hit you before you're even close to falcon. approach with nair when your opponent is vulnerable or off-guard, but nairing against someone being defensive

1:56 - i liked this :D putting a jolt on falcon on his getup frame. i'm going to keep this in mind.
[/COLLAPSE]Err yea. Hope that's helpful.

AXE 09

Smash Master
So Diske, I watched your match.

Aggressive Pikachu, I love that :D I think I'm an aggressive Pikachu too so I can relate :)

Make sure you Jump Cancel those grabs, it helps a lot and it makes it a LOT easier to chaingrab and you take less of a risk every time you grab =) Make sure to watch out for those Falcon Forward B's, I did notice they were getting you.

On the plus side, I love how you do Nair on his shield -> SH Uair =) I've been trying to do that lately too just to try it out cuz I'm not sure if it would be better than doing a full jump or not lol.

Anyways, keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing more of this aggro Pika =)

Top Bottom