• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

soju

SD God
so yeah, i recently have been getting more frustrated playing pikachu :O today i threw my controller to the floor, why dis happening to me?!?! >-<' lol

soju

SD God
lol :3 meh i did, found out what i was doing wrong and i am trying to fix it, but im saying im starting to get more frustrated as a pikachu player per say any other character.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Well, Pika may be hard at times but it's oh so rewarding when you can make people miss like 90% of the time. ;D

That said, everyone needs a break now and then, and you might just need to let it go for a while and think about something else. Then when you get back to it, you'll be refreshed and could do better :D

soju

SD God
lol, you are probably right, been playing mario a lot now, but saddened that my mario seems to be doing better then my pika :/

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
That's a pretty upsetting feeling. I had a tipping point where I shifted from being a Pika main to a Falco main. My long-term goal is to shift back, but for now I don't really see that happening unless I change my mindset.

I think Axe summarized my feelings pretty well in a post he made about a year ago (except downscale my inspiration/level of play by a huge factor):
I don't want to keep playing Falco as much as I have been. All I want to do now is just work on my Pikachu. I think that in tournament, I'm only gonna use falco for Sheik and IC's. Otherwise, I want to exclusively use Pikachu now. My falco normally doesn't get me any further in any matches than my Pikachu would, and I feel like I would be better with Pika right now if I had just put more time into him, instead of my Falco.

Forward and everyone else seems to be pretty confident that it's impossible for me to be the best in AZ with Pikachu. Well, I want to prove that I can be the best. Not with Falco or any other character. My point is... I'm gonna start working on Pikachu more than ever now to try to become the best. I'm gonna prove that I can become better than Forward with him, and hopefully accomplish my dream of becoming the best in the world. I understand that it's important to keep Falco for matchups that Pikachu can't handle, so I'll still keep my Falco sharp, but I don't think I'm going to play him nearly as much as I usually do anymore. I'm gonna play Pikachu every chance I get now and become the best.
This was April of 2010. Now he's even taking on Sheiks and ICs with Pikachu and placing ridiculously high in nationals. It's pretty amazing when you sit down and think about the timespan.

And yes, I did read through most of the thread at one point. <_<

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
ah, Soju, you have no idea. Me and my friend (not the n00b friend mentioned above) play everyday and I've only beaten him in 30 or less matches. Allot of times its ****, sometimes its a really close match, but I rarely win. Losing isn't so bad because I feel like when you lose, it makes you realize that you are doing something wrong. When you win all the time, you don't get to see your mistakes.

soju

SD God
well i'm gonna be practicing alone in my room with pikachu until i feel confident enough with him, and soon ill be playing other people so ill probably use him there. But for now gonna be like teh ScorpionMasterz with my mario, haha

@dkuo-pshh everything axe says is motivational :B

@Aesir- but winning is fun *sniff*sniff* XD

@Kage- since when have you been a pikaboard visitor o-o

soju

SD God
But this be the 'MERICAN Pikachu boards :B You see we don't take likely to your kind round these parts boy, with your milk in bags and leaf flags :B haha

Divinokage

Smash Legend
But this be the 'MERICAN Pikachu boards :B You see we don't take likely to your kind round these parts boy, with your milk in bags and leaf flags :B haha
Hm.. I'm just a mercenary.. I serve no one. I thought when I went to the US everyone would scream my name, Kaaaggeee!!! lol. =P

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Actually I don't drink milk all that much anymore. Only chocolate milk sometimes.. Because chocolate is the sign of the warrior lol. This is why I had warrior pancakes from IHop at Zenith. It was awesome!

Anyways, sup guys. =)

Walt

Smash Ace
Soju I wish I could go up to fairfield more, I'd be super down to play with you and help get some kinks out of your pika game. Hopefully I'll have a car again sometime soon.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I too enjoy milk quite a bit. I drink it much more than i drink water.

I also enjoy Canada. I play to move there eventually (probably to toronto or vancouver for art school)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lol yea I was here when it crashed xD
i went back to the main page after posting and everything was just all these symbols and stuff and i thought my comp was just being stupid and then i realized it was the site and lol'd

also yea i got more milk and i'm happy now. it really sucks when there is no milk. especially on a hot day.

soju

SD God
Soju I wish I could go up to fairfield more, I'd be super down to play with you and help get some kinks out of your pika game. Hopefully I'll have a car again sometime soon.
Or I can wait till after this month and finally get my car so I can drive up. :3

And for everyone else.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
lol yea I was here when it crashed xD
i went back to the main page after posting and everything was just all these symbols and stuff and i thought my comp was just being stupid and then i realized it was the site and lol'd

also yea i got more milk and i'm happy now. it really sucks when there is no milk. especially on a hot day.
XD Accented alphabet soup~

Also, glad you got more milk. :D So true, yogurt is my anti-hot day. It would be ice cream but it's too expensive. :(

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
so there is this new smash game coming out (as you guys probably know by now)

and idk what to think about it at this point. I'm hoping its not another brawl, and there wont be gc controllers... but Sakurai isn't allow to do character balancing this time (lolz his team was like "**** that, look at what you did to brawl")

so yea, thats a +1 for new smash. but then i've heard that Mii might be a playable character... so yea... thats like -5 :(

soju

SD God
Just wanted to say this isn't true, Soju you are a modest little sunnafagun lol, can't wait for your combo video that you recorded that night.

haha, well I finally got through all the singles matches, and there were many good matches :]
but now i have to go through the 24 team matches

. . . and I want to place in a tourny first before doing any sort of combo video

Walt

Smash Ace
Man, JB made me like 2 mini combo videos before I ever even went to a tourney. Or maybe I'd been to 1. Lol I didn't even know he was making them till he told me the day before they went up. I think making a compilation video of cool stuff that happen that night would be neat. (at the end put how moon went like 20-0 for the night)

AXE 09

Smash Master
I know I've asked this before but I just want to ask again.

What are your guys' reasons for playing Pikachu?

N64

Smash Champion
Most basic answer is because he's fun as ****.

Longer answer involves me picking him up after I found a tier list (I generally like low/mid tier chars in games) and sticking with him because I tended to do alright with him, his playstyle felt comfortable to me, I enjoyed the recognition of maining and doing well with a low tier, and he's fun as ****.

Eventually he legitimately became my best char, so I kept playing him in tourney because I don't think I'd do nearly as well with any other char. Except vs jiggs. They get to feel my ylink wrath.

Summary: Pika is awesome. Jiggs is dumb.

Edit: I also have a question for you guys. sorta.
I've had the vague idea over the past few years that I want to make a melee pika guide, because we don't have one other than pictish freak's pretty outdated one. I've started and scrapped it on probably 4 different occasions with multiple revisions inbetween. Regardless of my approach I'm never satisfied with how it's turning out. It feels like I either include too much information and bog down things with tangents, or I don't include enough and it doesn't have much beneficial information. Everything links together in so many ways that I don't know how to structure it all coherently.

So I was wondering a couple things from you guys. Have any of you made a guide? For another game, or another char, or whatever. Have you read a few guides and have a general idea of how things go? Do you have any tips for me on making one?

Also is anyone interested in collaborating on one? I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere heh.

Walt

Smash Ace
I really only play pika every once in a while but it's all because of uair. Pikas uair is the biggest troll move in the game. Half the time it even trolls me and sends someone fiying in some crazy *** direction.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I admit I don't main Pikachu anymore, I'm back to maining Marth, but I play Pika on the side. I picked him up originally because I mained him in 64, but since 64 is pretty dead around here, I picked up Pika in Melee to use against people, because I like his general playstyle. I used to play him in Brawl too, but I don't like his playstyle as much, it's just chaingrabs and camping.

Basically Pika's fun as hell. I might return to maining him once I get better at Melee in general. He just probably wasn't the best choice for my first main now that I'm taking Melee seriously.

Top Bottom