• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

taevion0

Smash Cadet
i've seen that vid, u execute that slow crawl into kick version of a ledge attack by pressing up c-stick if i remeember correctly.

btw what's your newest tournament vids, top gear channnel at atdhe.net got shut down, now i need something new to watch while i eat my meals, preferrably ones with funny commentaries and crowds going buckwild.

soju

SD God
Yeah thewaffle77, stabbedbyahippie, and videogamebootcamp are all good channels to go look for all your tournament watching glory

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coV0UoIGoW8

I was looking at some old pika vids and I saw this. At 1:55, anther walks to the edge of the stage and grabs the ledge. I think he turns around before falling off but I can't be sure. Does anyone know what's going on there? Sorry I didn't link directly to the second. I know soju posted something on how to do that months ago but I don't feel like looking for it.

soju

SD God
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coV0UoIGoW8

I was looking at some old pika vids and I saw this. At 1:55, anther walks to the edge of the stage and grabs the ledge. I think he turns around before falling off but I can't be sure. Does anyone know what's going on there? Sorry I didn't link directly to the second. I know soju posted something on how to do that months ago but I don't feel like looking for it.
Its something rather simple yet super hard to do =3=. basically you use your momentum of going forward and then immediately dash backwards as soon as you're off the edge you will turn around but you'll be in the air as well, well thats what i believe the way to do it, i havent been able to do it purposefully with pikachu yet, but i have it down with mario and y link. i think the wavedash is more practical and alot easier and i dont remember posting stuff like this but i have a bad memory so who knows :B

AXE 09

Smash Master
Its something rather simple yet super hard to do =3=. basically you use your momentum of going forward and then immediately dash backwards as soon as you're off the edge you will turn around but you'll be in the air as well, well thats what i believe the way to do it, i havent been able to do it purposefully with pikachu yet, but i have it down with mario and y link. i think the wavedash is more practical and alot easier and i dont remember posting stuff like this but i have a bad memory so who knows :B
Pretty much :) All you do is dash towards the edge, then dash away. If you dash away at the right time, you'll fall off the edge backwards and you'll be able to grab the edge, as shown in that video =)

Wish me luck at Zenith guys lol

N64

Smash Champion
I say good sirs, how is everyone doing?

I wish you the greatest of fortunes in your next day of bouts Axe. Yes yes.

Pika indeed.

soju

SD God
It's the day after doomsday and I feel pretty good :3 Don't know if I'm a ghost but if so those couple of hours of ghost melee with the buds was hecka fun >w< need to get prepared for that ghost genesis

JoyousOne

Smash Cadet
What is the best way to deal with projectile spamming Links? I seem to get caught near the ledge so many times with no options at all, effectively being trapped in a corner.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Jolts I guess... Jolts and Nairs. With pichu i'd full hop and then agility to their feet, but i dont think pika can do that as well since he's go more lag. You could always just try jumping over them lol, if he's throwing bombs, just learn to catch them.

soju

SD God
or you can just do pikachus super wavedash, it makes projectile spammers think twice before throwing stuff at pikachu <3

N64

Smash Champion
To be honest, really good Links can give pika some decent trouble with projectiles. He shouldn't be able to completely immobilize you, as you can just standing jump them or ftilt (will clank with boomerang and arrow) through them. They can make approaching or controlling space in general pretty difficult. Your best option is to just try to not allow him to get his projectile game going. If he pulls a bomb while you're not in hitstun from something, that takes time and should allow you to either close the distance to him or recover and get into a decent position yourself. If he's throwing a boomerang and you're able to avoid it, that either puts a lot of pressure on him (it's relatively laggy) or straight up allows you to punish him with a combo.

If the main issue you're having with projectiles is him throwing them at long range, then that's an issue with getting around them. It's definately doable. Try to notice tendancies he has with throwing (i.e. prefers to throw upward angled boomerangs or pulls/throws bombs whenever he double jumps back) and use that to predict when he'll throw his next projectile, dodge or shield it, and dash/jump in to close the distance. If you're having issues with projectiles close up, figure out how he's catching you and then try to bait his projectiles (i.e. if he's catching you when you jump at him, jump towards him then waveland back this time before the projectile) and then evade/counterattack.

Aesir is correct that jolts can help too. You're not going to win a projectile war against him, though, so use jolts as a way to get in rather than to launch your own projectile offensive. Jump and jolt, jolt should cancel out boomerang (I believe) and now he's recovering from boomerang throw and you're still moving towards him. Or jolt and then dash towards so that he has to deal with the jolt (and thus may not be able to throw a projectile). Use it to cover your approach.

Catching bombs is also useful. It's difficult, and I'm not wholely convinced it's the best option (pika doesn't have many uses for having a bomb himself) but it at least gets the bomb out of your way.

Main point is, you want to force Link to play at your pace with your quick hit and run game, don't give him time to set up his projectile game. Get in his face (while being a little cautious of course, don't blindly charge in and expect everything to go well, he has close range tools of his own. But pika would much rather be close to link than far away with his projectiles).

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I only really said catch the bombs because i watched shenanigans again right before posting and he catches the links bombs allot lol.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Thank you so much for all of the luck guys!!! I'm gonna need as much as I can get lol. I'll do my best. Thank you so much everyone

soju

SD God
Bah, i believe the harder the work you do the more luck you seem to have, so don't go slack'n >w> NOW GO MAKE PEOPLE FEEL BAD!

@N64- been curious on whos better, you or Skler

N64

Smash Champion
haven't played him in at least a year, but almost definately skler is better. He beats me 2/3 games in friendlies and consistently places better in tournies.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Axe, my friend wants to know if you ever play pichu/have ever tried pichu/like using pichu at all.

also i've discovered your secret. ur tag makes my pika like 100 times better <_<

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
omg axe I love you SO MUCH RIGHT NOW. GOOD **** AT ZENITH

I'm beyond salty that I didn't go now...

Palpi

Smash Hero
Me and axe played at zenith!

It was so fun, I think he was sandbagging my fox but I got him to last stock 80%

Axe - thanks for being so nice and being amazing, as always you were extremely entertaining to watch.

:phone:

soju

SD God
Axe, my friend wants to know if you ever play pichu/have ever tried pichu/like using pichu at all.

also i've discovered your secret. ur tag makes my pika like 100 times better <_<

Personally I think the Pikachu->Pichu transfer is very unhype, his super skull bash and walljump make it slightly worthwhiled though.

And tags make all the difference, for when you place a tag on your character your character itself starts channeling the power of that tag. My Americhu would not be so awesome if he did not have the MRCA tag and a cowboy hat.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Yea I've learned the power of the tag. My pichu gets better with my ZOD tag or my NIMH tag, but worse with my ZUHL tag, where as my Pika is better with ZUHL. Everyone is good with ZOD though ^^

And yea, for me its the opposite, Pika feels slower and kinda fat after I play as Pichu, but I really like his Uair and using UpB to edge guard lol. But I guess thats why I main Pichu and you main Pika lol.

soju

SD God
It actually depends on my mood how well I play with Pichu, whenever I feel like being really flashy I use him. His Up-B has barely any lag compared to Pika so you can do a wide number of things with that, with me its tech chase or Up-B -> fsmash. His thunderjolts are also faster and stronger then pikachus which is pretty nice. His walljump adds all sorts of shenanigans, my favorite thing doing is walljump->skullbash for edge guarding Pichu can also duck under a lot of the bigger characters attacks, like C. Falcon and Ganon. So yeah, Pichu's lack of lag can make him pretty a fun character.

Did I mention dat walljump is hype <3

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lol yea, UpB shenanigans are fun ^^
I recently found out that when on the ledge when you press back then upB forward (twice) it does a PAWD right off the ledge back to the stage and you can just up smash or fsmash right out of it because it has so little lag, +like every platform in the game is spaced so you can do UpB stuff on them ^^

thats one of the only things i dislike about Pika, his UpB has so much more lag, which it too bad because it will actually hit things :(
its also a bit harder to control the distance that it goes imo.

But he still has his amazing Uair ^^

AXE 09

Smash Master
Thank you soooooooooooo so so so much for the support everyone ^^ I couldn't have done it without you guys <3

Top Bottom