• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I think so too. It doesn't require you to have as fast hands. I jump with the controlstick and press up on the c-stick at about the same time

taevion0

Smash Cadet
thx guys, i'll try that out too, i was practicing and finally got a better understanding of using L n R triggers to get quick cliff hangs

taevion0

Smash Cadet
heyyy whats up, it's you, the Great One, been analyzing your vids lately on utube for funz to own up my friends lol. When you do Shuffl neutral , land, and then follow up by Uair right after landing (to cover your Nair atk) do you just time it real good or is there a steady method?

I always see you do Uair straight off the ground or from the ledge, or as a followup/cover atk after using Nair and i can't do them. (not nearly that quickly anyway, i do it with a lot of lag time and that's not very useful...)

To do a full jump Uair, I press up on the control stick, then press A while holding up :)

Here's a random example of Uthrow -> Tailspike -> Grab/Usmash lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfdKspHIf8M#t=3m54s
I noticed that combo yes.... but here's the thing... I can't even do SHUFFL Nair yet lol... I can't even short hop, it's so hard for my hands to tap that lightly. But just to make sure i am grasping what you're showing me... You grab and U-throw him followed by shuffl uair, fast land, trigger cancel, dash, grab?

AXE 09

Smash Master
I noticed that combo yes.... but here's the thing... I can't even do SHUFFL Nair yet lol... I can't even short hop, it's so hard for my hands to tap that lightly. But just to make sure i am grasping what you're showing me... You grab and U-throw him followed by shuffl uair, fast land, trigger cancel, dash, grab?
Haha actually if you just do a SH Uair, it will auto cancel, so you don't need to L-cancel it. So it's just Uthrow -> Dash -> SH Uair -> Dash -> JC grab or Usmash. Make sure to JC your grab or the grab will not connect.

Before you focus on getting that Uair down after your Nair, be sure to practice your SHFFL Nairs. Literally all I'm doing is SHFFLing a Nair, then press up + A for a Uair. It's very simple, you just have to make sure you L-cancel your Nair so you can get your Uair out faster. Basically before you worry about the Uair, just practice SHFFLing your Nairs :)

Pikachu has the hardest short hop in the game, so make sure to practice a lot so you can get it down.

Pika :)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lol I have trouble shffling nairs with pichu (not rly pika though) but what I do to kind of warm up my hands a bit is go into training mode and put it to 1/4 speed for about a minute shffling nairs, then i put is to x2 speed for a couple of minutes and shffl nairs, then when i go to play a match its allot easier, try doing that a bit until you get used to shffling. You'll get it right eventually, but it may be a little frustrating (I'm left handed so its hard for me to tap lightly/quickly with my right thumb, which can piss me off allot if i full hop instead of short hop and they kill me <_<)

also try switching which button you press. if you're trying to short hop while running, don't use control stick. if its not working well with x, try using y.

taevion0

Smash Cadet
thx for the tips guys, yea i can't shuffl for crap, i do realize shuffl is pracitically 90% of pikachu's arsenal lol and i need to use that to his advantage. I've just recently learned to jc grab, use air parry reach edge faster. It's the most challenging for me to shuffl anytime, it's downright hard for me to shorthop or fastfall or cancel.
interestingly i am also left handed... i don't kno if that's y i'm slow to progress, but i do generallly use x and y, rarely do i use up d-stick to jump.

Question: what's the most efficient way to execute dash upsmash? i currently just dash, get in range, down on d-stick then up c-stick real fast

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
What's a dstick? <_<

I use control stick up + A for running usmash, but I use the dash>crouch>cstick technique for every other smash out of dash (not counting pivots). It does work for usmash, but jump-cancelling it does make it come out a little faster.

Also, SHFFLing is one of the things you really have to practice over and over until you can do it by heart.

..meanwhile...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRt2hkBxAwM
:awesome::awesome::awesome:

taevion0

Smash Cadet
What's a dstick? <_<

I use control stick up + A for running usmash, but I use the dash>crouch>cstick technique for every other smash out of dash (not counting pivots). It does work for usmash, but jump-cancelling it does make it come out a little faster.

Also, SHFFLing is one of the things you really have to practice over and over until you can do it by heart.

..meanwhile...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRt2hkBxAwM
:awesome::awesome::awesome:
well c stick is the yellow thingy right? so i can't call both c stick , so d stick i thought = directional stick if people were to read it :awesome: and thx for the tips

EDIT: i just tried.....i don't think it's gonna be anytime soon that i can execute: dash, press x/y and up-c quickly enough to be frequent
Throw-wise, x and z buttons are really close so i can jc a throw more proficiently.

AXE 09

Smash Master
That's interesting. I'm left-handed too lol. I feel your guys' pain.

To dash -> Usmash, I just literally dash, then press up + A. I always thought that's statistically better than every other method, because you can charge it if you need to, and you can cancel your initial dash with it... It seems the easiest way to me lol.

taevion0

Smash Cadet
so...... that means...... i have the power of Axe in me?

i better go treat myself to a bacon milkshake at freakin' Denny's

btw i noticed taht ther'es no lag time either when i just dashed and up + A.... which was weird cause i never investigated on that b/c the guide in this forum says to cancel everythang (at least i assumed) and to cancel dash up smash also but if i don't need to then that would make the execution easier

AXE 09

Smash Master
so...... that means...... i have the power of Axe in me?

i better go treat myself to a bacon milkshake at freakin' Denny's

btw i noticed taht ther'es no lag time either when i just dashed and up + A.... which was weird cause i never investigated on that b/c the guide in this forum says to cancel everythang (at least i assumed) and to cancel dash up smash also but if i don't need to then that would make the execution easier
Lol! Omg I ate that milkshake!! It was actually really good. It tasted like breakfast lol.

A running Usmash is very simple. Like literally all you do is just run, then Usmash... It's so simple lol. I think you might be making it a lot more complicated by trying to use the Cstick for it.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I find both cstick and up+A out of dash just as easy to do.
and don't worry! you just need to practice, you'll get there eventually, just keep practicing it!

AXE 09

Smash Master
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are we talking about Usmashing out of your initial dash? Or after your initial dash?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
umm.. I was talking about running, then letting go and hitting up on the cstick while the momentum carries you forward

taevion0

Smash Cadet
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are we talking about Usmashing out of your initial dash? Or after your initial dash?
um uh isn't that the same? lol What i was asking was how to up smash the quickest while pikachu is dashing. Sraight standing still, then run at the opponent and then wam!

AXE 09

Smash Master
umm.. I was talking about running, then letting go and hitting up on the cstick while the momentum carries you forward
um uh isn't that the same? lol What i was asking was how to up smash the quickest while pikachu is dashing. Sraight standing still, then run at the opponent and then wam!
Your initial dash is the length of that dash you get when you just press the control stick once either left or right, then let go. Pikachu will run a small distance, and then stop. During that dashing animation (which is the initial dash), you are able to cancel it with a dash in the opposite direction (which is referred to as a "dash dance").

If you continue to hold the control stick either left or right, you'll eventually pass your initial dash animation and enter your actual running animation. During this time, you cannot cancel your dash with another dash in the opposite direction. This applies to every character, not just Pikachu.

If you press up on the C-stick while you are running (whether it's during or after your initial dash), it will do nothing. If you let go of the control stick, you will either enter a stopping animation (when you pass your initial dash), or if you're in your initial dash, Pikachu will just keep dashing until the length of his initial dash is over. Either way, letting go of your control stick will be pretty slow. But there's a few tricks you can do to still Usmash while you are running.

After you pass your initial dash animation and enter the running animation, you are able to cancel your dash with a crouch (down on the control stick). Because you can do any smash attack out of a crouch, you are able to run -> crouch -> Usmash (or any other smash attack, including Dsmash or Fsmash). That's run -> down on control stick -> up on Cstick (or any direction actually, but I'm gonna specifically talk about Usmash here). So, I could understand why down on the control stick + up on the c-stick could be preferred if you are past your initial dash.

If you are still in your initial dash, you cannot cancel your dash with a crouch. However, you can cancel it with a jump, and you can cancel a jump with a Usmash as long as you input it before you leave the ground after pressing jump. You can do this by pressing x/y -> Cstick up, up on the control stick + up on the Cstick at the same time, OR (my preferred method), Up + A. This will work during and after an initial dash.

So to sum things up... The methods that are the most convenient and involve the least amount of button inputs out of a dash are up + A, and up + c-stick up.

However, if you want to charge your Usmash, up + A is preferred, because all you need to do is keep holding a, whereas with up + c-stick up you'll need to either press and hold Z or A. So..... your statistically "best" (least amount of button inputs) method is to use up + A if you want to do a running Usmash. That applies for during and after your initial dash.

Again, none of this is Pikachu specific. This applies to all characters.

soju

SD God
gonna waste my 666th post to just say ; eff u axe :B stop being so good, everytime i see a vidya of ya and see a combo im like wtf!?!?! why havent i thought of some of these things and then i ragequit the internet. I am going to practice my booty off so i can whoop you at genesis, to prove it i just took a picture showing how im going to beat the dookie out of your pikafail

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? ARE YOU DENSE? ARE YOU ********? I'm the God Damn BAT-CHU

I OWN THE NIGHT!!!!!!!!

666th post completed :awesome:

taevion0

Smash Cadet
I'm not qualified to post anything after what i've seen above.... but iimma just sneak one in and say thx axe, didn't kno initial dash and continuous run worked differently...

Ok back to your regularly scheduled program. Odd guy challenges Axe.

taevion0

Smash Cadet
So how do i do that Nair attack approach with pikachu exactly? This is what i've been trying to do so far base on my knowledge...

Dash -> shorthop -> Nair -> hold down -> cancel -> brain shuts down as it's already hard for me to do the prior

At this point i'm not even sure if i did it in the right order and what ACTUALLY comes out when i do it is just pikachu doing a full jump nair and lands normally...

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lol I do crouch, I just posted stupidly.
my hands aren't fast enough to cancel the initial dash though (unless maybe i hit up on the control stick and up on the cstick)
I can JC grab though :D (feels semi-accomplished.)

soju

SD God
@taevion

Just practice things step by step, if you think about it too much it won't work right. You're not going to get it down right away without any practice so just begin step-by-step e.g begin with shorthopping, then doing any aerial when you got the shorthop down, after that add the fast fall and finally L-cancel. Practice and repetition makes perfect.

@aesirgod

I dont know if this will help but when i do an usmash out of dash, but i use the control stick up+a right after i start the initial dash. It seems easier to me because I press the A button a split second after pressing up so i don't have to do any fancy finger movements

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
nice pic btw soju :p
if you want to make it look a little better, you should try warping the face a little bit though because its not in perspective with pika's head (batman's face is looking straight at you, but pika's head is kind of turned to the side).

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
So how do i do that Nair attack approach with pikachu exactly? This is what i've been trying to do so far base on my knowledge...

Dash -> shorthop -> Nair -> hold down -> cancel -> brain shuts down as it's already hard for me to do the prior

At this point i'm not even sure if i did it in the right order and what ACTUALLY comes out when i do it is just pikachu doing a full jump nair and lands normally...
You should start by practicing the shffl by itself, just to get familiar with it. Once you get it jammed into your brain, you should start trying all sorts of things after you get to the ground. The nair, depending on if you get it sourspotted or not, will send opponents in a variety of directions, and you should be prepared for them. Some followups include: uair, ftilt, fsmash, grab, usmash, and even another nair shffl. Those are common followups I usually employ, but pikachu has virtually his entire arsenal to combo out of a nair, depending on where you hit the opponent, so practicing everything wouldn't hurt.

soju

SD God
nice pic btw soju :p
if you want to make it look a little better, you should try warping the face a little bit though because its not in perspective with pika's head (batman's face is looking straight at you, but pika's head is kind of turned to the side).
naw man, it adds to the epicness :awesome:

You should start by practicing the shffl by itself.

lol =w= thats what he had trouble with in the beginning, unless i read it wrong @-@

taevion0

Smash Cadet
naw man, it adds to the epicness :awesome:

lol =w= thats what he had trouble with in the beginning, unless i read it wrong @-@

i agree, the epicness comes through in the form of that style similar to what 'adult swim' cartoon has, thx for the help, just woke up gonna practice a lil bit...

Top Bottom