• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

Palpi

Smash Hero
I am not sure if a short hop -> uair would be that much better. You could maybe mix up and do a pivot grab instead of U-air'ing...the short hop uair could be safter against some characters though.

soju

SD God
If your aware the fact that your opponent knows something you do, switch it up a bit to keep them guessing what you do. If you see them shield the uair more often, switch it up to a pivot grab like palpi said or a ftilt, just try to keep them guessing, but you shouldn't have to much trouble with that because you're Axe the world's top Pika player :3

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
LOL Axe
You expected them to get hit by that all day? XD

You realize AZ arpes right? haha

I've been going Nair through > pivot ftilt/usmash on their backs.
At least against a Bair spammy Doc and Fox/Falcon grab campers it's worked.

I'm a pivot ftilt spammer beyond reason though.
Also, Utilt>Uair has worked a couple times.

Try it with Utilt first? ;)

It's like Falco Nair>Utilt>Shine instead of standard Nair>Shine
Nobody expects the extra hit :D

AXE 09

Smash Master
Pivot Ftilt? That's too hard lol. I'd rather just do a regular Ftilt =)

But I think you guys are right. I might just have to stop doing a Uair every single time I Nair past their shield. It's just gonna be a hard habit to break... But I need to break it before next week Saturday because that's when the next AZ tourney is, and there's no way I'll beat Fwd if I keep doing that. I think it still works good on GG7 though :) Lol we'll see.

Also, I'll try a Utilt instead of a Uair and see how that goes. For some reason I just feel like Utilt might come out a little too slow, but I haven't tried it yet so I'll let you guys know how it works out. Thanks for the advice guys!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Also, I'll try a Utilt instead of a Uair and see how that goes. For some reason I just feel like Utilt might come out a little too slow, but I haven't tried it yet so I'll let you guys know how it works out. Thanks for the advice guys!
They're the same speed, Axe.

Pikachu's jump: airborne on frame 4.
Pikachu's uair: active hitbox frame 3-8.

Pikachu's u-tilt: active hitbox on frame 7-14.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Really? Wow I didn't know that lol. So technically Utilt would always either come out at the same time or faster, since we're human and probably don't Uair on the first possible frame after airborne.

Thanks so much for that info. I'll try Utilt and see how it works. This is gonna take some getting used to =/

Bamesy

Smash Ace
Except Utilt has more shieldstun than Uair and you can Uair/whatever right after, Utilt hitting means anything from free grab to usmash to Uair and you can't get Bair'd out of it, though if you're slow to react AFTER utilt AND they expect it coming, then you better pivot ftilt instead. ;)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
See, if you used Pichu more, you would know these things. Pichu's cross-up nair -> rising uair isn't nearly as good as Pikachu's (you have to SH if you want it to connect on the shorter characters). Pichu is forced to use u-tilt a lot more as a result.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Pichu is my worst character lol. Darn it, I should use Pichu more. I would've figured this out so much earlier!! I knew I should've listened to Nicknyte.

Thank you ChivalRuse =D

Bamesy

Smash Ace
Pivots are easy...
WAY easier than getting Bair'd all day.

Chival! Look what you did!
Now we lost one! ****ing Pichu!
LOL
jkz, he's cute too.
Pikachu just sooooooooo much better! Partially because he's HAPPY so he EVOLVED!
Pichu sucks. It's like training wheels...so good call I guess... >_<

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Training Wheels with spikes and bigger than Texas. Pichu owns this thread.

Pichu smiles when he gets hit.
Pichu eyes are open in the water on dreamland when he is sleeping.

Pichu will **** your dreams while ****** you.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
Holy crap it just doesn't end...
Too good soju, too good.

I've noticed that there's a really easy but annoying curve to picking up Pikachu for me.

I'll be mediocre and sometimes even supergarbage style for a bit, then get in the right frame of mind and suddenly be able to move near perfectly and be semibroken and unstoppable.
Not so much by means of 'doing the thing I want to do', but more like a mental thing where I REMEMBER what to do with Pikachu, and instantly do the thing I SHOULD do instead of what I would do if I was thinking about it and deciding what action to take.

Pikablood is in me. o.O
Maybe I've been bit!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
@ Bamesy: Maybe because Pikachu has to get a lot of reads, and that's not something you can always guarantee you'll be able to do consistently.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
I thought about that too, good call.
But it's more so the way HOW to use his 'techniques' or how to position with them accordingly. How Pika goes about doing basic things he needs to do. It's complicated, but one key factor (probably the most significant thing) is DDing.
When I'm not in the groove, I start DDing absurd amounts until it feels uneeded, then I can use it the way I need to because there's excess.
It's awesome XD

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It's always good to create situations that you're more comfortable in, even if that means using some radical strategies to set those situations up.

Palpi

Smash Hero
My friend plays pikachu and he is a little worse than me so I usually 2-3 stock him every match, but now he started just dash dance camping against my marth and honestly...it was hard to beat, I really had to start thinking and not just flailing my sword.

I don't know where im going this, but...just my thoughts. He tries this thing...dash dance away to avoid and approach then WD backwards (toward me) and rising uair...he only pulled it off once but it was beautiful.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I haven't used Pikachu in a while. But I agree: his dash dance is awesome. Dash dance -> grab/up-smash/charged up-smash (to beat spotdodge) is a great mixup.

Palpi

Smash Hero
He does this thing...where he will dash dance but wait a little longer before turning around sometimes so he inches closer to me...then he might wait a little longer to turn around to get farther away from it...its like pretty cool way to ...zone?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Inching forward while dash dancing is kind of cool. Not that useful though. Usually it just accomplishes what you could have accomplished by dashing forward, but more slowly.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
i think inching around in your dash dance is a pretty usefull thing to know actually. like just to make sure your good enough at it i might start at one end of a stage then move across and back while never breaking the dash dance.

I remember when forward used to post in his smash blog he talked about how he use to practice his DD too

Bamesy

Smash Ace
LOL
WOW yes

I was just telling 2 players here to practice DDing across FD in as few DDs as possible since they both are at a point where that's the next step for them to get better...
Wait...maybe that's why I brought up DDing here too...
It all makes sense now? o.O

Coincidence... probably

I should practice smash sometime. :/

AXE 09

Smash Master
There are sooo many different distances that you can dash dance for (wtf that sentence kinda didn't make sense, but I hope you all understood me lol). Dash dancing is such an excellent tool to use to get just the perfect spacing for a move that you're trying to land.

Yeah.... I wanted to say a lot more, but for some reason I just can't think right now and my words aren't coming out right lol.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
So...this is my last post for a couple months. Going all music in Feb and March, so no meleetime for me in that time. At least no 'boardsing' and almost no actual playing.

It's been awesome, thanks for the thoughts sharin and discussion chillin and all that. You guys are all great! Big <3
Keep going, all of you. There is so much room to improve still. Both in Pikachu in this game and as players. The erra of Pika has barely started, just kickstarted really. Doors opening all over from Axe and others, only to lead to more doors. Soon Pika will evolve in this game FINALLY, and actually be a regular common threat the way he always potentially could be. It's up to you.
You're all awesome. <3
Thanks guys!

I've stepped up my Pika incredibly this month, and I haven't 'mained' him since October. Can't wait to see how you're all doing when I get back, and can't wait to show you where I've gone with Pika and as a player. Took that final curve and I think it's a curve everyone is on, just have to turn the right direction.

Final words...
DON'T STOP CHANGING. To improve is to become different towards what is better. To become different is to change. Changing is the ONLY way to EVER improve. Metagame, yourself, anything. Always remember that, what's in your head will beat what anyone's hands can do. :)

Jeff to showed us a door to how far Pika can go, he needs us to go through it and open the next. We're all together in this, we always will be. :D

Top Bottom