• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I don't understand why pikachu is low tier. I've been playing him a ton recently and he's so good, lol.

EDIT: And then I play against sheik... This is why I also play peach, lol.

soju

SD God
I don't understand why pikachu is low tier. I've been playing him a ton recently and he's so good, lol.

EDIT: And then I play against sheik... This is why I also play peach, lol.
look at his short stubby arms, any character like that is almost certainly going to be low tier :awesome:

but yeah . . . pikachu's range is just a bunch of boo boo

EZ.

Smash Rookie
Chain Grabbing

1.Having trouble catching the people im chain grabbing when they DI too far forward or backward. I watched axe play Shiz in Apex and he was flawlessly grabbing and throwing on his last stock. I realize I still need practice but im wondering how "technically" you are suppose to do it. The dash grab seems to be failing me, and when I try and pull off a wave dash to grab it is just as Fail. Maybe im not timing it right, but I would just like to practice whatever the correct way to do it is. Also if this is like a thread post or something im not suppose to post at, im sry.

2. Approaching. how to? I always run in with a dash attack and it pisses me off. SOOO MUCH LAG TIME! so im working on down tilting after dashing. I'm just wondering if what I think is right, and what I think is to come in with some short-hopped nairs, dash to down tilts, and dash up-smashes. If there is anything you wanna say on that it would be great. Also just talking about in general there. I know there is a lot more situational stuff.

3. Why do you cookie cut when ledge guarding? or at all in that matter

Thanks,
EZ

PS. Got about 5 or 6 of us here in GR michigan watching the matches and practicing everyday. You guys are truly amazing how fast you move and the technical skills you have.

Palpi

Smash Hero
If you have watched axe, you would realize that dash attack is awful, cause he doesnt use it...or anything decent pikachu rather.

When you are watching matches don't look at combos, look at a characters spacing...or what he does and when he does it.

Nair is a decent approach but you have to be smart with it because it can get predictable. Poking with tilts is good like dtilt and ftilt...both are also good for edgeguarding...(See axe apex videos haha @ ftilt)

Uair is the greatest move of all time.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
jolts are nice. learn how to confuse them with mix-ups like d-tilt, nair in face, and jolts then I throw in side-B I know as pichu i've been ballzy and even did DD grab before so yeah. also nair>their sheild.

EZ.

Smash Rookie
Thanks for responding, but I would still like to know number 1 and 3. Having issues with chain grabbing still. With the 2 or 3 days I've posted I have stopped almost all my dash attacks and am L-canceling, sweet spotting, and thunderflipping like a pro. Pikachu is a fun character!

EZ

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
1. You need to Jump Cancel your grabs with Pikachu to do the chaingrab vs. hard DI. Basically just smash up and hit Z at the same time to do this out of a run and you'll do the standing grab animation rather than the stupid dash one (where he falls over if he misses)

3. ??? Not sure what you're even asking

EZ.

Smash Rookie
1. You need to Jump Cancel your grabs with Pikachu to do the chaingrab vs. hard DI. Basically just smash up and hit Z at the same time to do this out of a run and you'll do the standing grab animation rather than the stupid dash one (where he falls over if he misses)
Thanks. I was trying everything, but I guess I havent done the JCgrab. I'll get to work on it.

As for the cookie cutter, it's when they are off the stage or going for the ledge, i've seen some pikachu's use the agility move to "slice" them, but I don't know the use for it. Ummm....maybe some1 else knows what I'm talking about.

EZ

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
calling that "cookie cutter" is extremely misleading because that phrase typically refers to something being extremely generic and literally no one calls quick attack the cookie cutter other than you...

it's just a fast way to get a hitbox out to disrupt the opposing recovery. generally speaking it's just flashy, but in certain situations it's your best bet for making your opponent lose height on their recovery (most notably when Samus is bomb jumping) or to turn them around with the 2nd part of the move that takes you back to the edge.

EZ.

Smash Rookie
The reason I call it the cookie cutter is merely from hearing the commentary refer it to that. The example I could find is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO8EjaUVuvI&feature=related

at around 1:03-1:05. He says "cookie" for short, but again I've heard it in other videos. However, I will start referring to it as "quick attack" as you have pointed out.

Obviously in the video I posted above he uses it as a ledge guard, but I was just wondering why Axe uses it in some of his other videos where there seems to be no point other than just flashy, which again you mentioned. Thank you for your replies ^_^

EZ

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
The only time you should ever consider using dash attack is when the opponent is in the air and you're knocking them off the edge, and even then there are better options, it's just a mix-up.

The only time I've ever seen axe using quick attack for stuff other than recovery is when he uses the super wavedash. Which is executed by quick attacking into a move of equal priority, usually a reflected thunderjolt in axe's videos. Another use for quick attack is a non-decent get out of danger move.

Sometimes what looks like flashiness is mindgames.

AXE 09

Smash Master
1.Having trouble catching the people im chain grabbing when they DI too far forward or backward. I watched axe play Shiz in Apex and he was flawlessly grabbing and throwing on his last stock. I realize I still need practice but im wondering how "technically" you are suppose to do it. The dash grab seems to be failing me, and when I try and pull off a wave dash to grab it is just as Fail. Maybe im not timing it right, but I would just like to practice whatever the correct way to do it is. Also if this is like a thread post or something im not suppose to post at, im sry.

2. Approaching. how to? I always run in with a dash attack and it pisses me off. SOOO MUCH LAG TIME! so im working on down tilting after dashing. I'm just wondering if what I think is right, and what I think is to come in with some short-hopped nairs, dash to down tilts, and dash up-smashes. If there is anything you wanna say on that it would be great. Also just talking about in general there. I know there is a lot more situational stuff.

3. Why do you cookie cut when ledge guarding? or at all in that matter

Thanks,
EZ

PS. Got about 5 or 6 of us here in GR michigan watching the matches and practicing everyday. You guys are truly amazing how fast you move and the technical skills you have.
1) All you need to do is dash, then JC grab. It's pretty simple once you get it down lol. Watch this, for a little tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM#t=3m22s
I use X and Z, but you can also use Y + Z or Up + Z. Whatever feels most comfortable for you.

2) Dash attack... In my opinion, it's Pikachu's absolute worst move. Even if you hit your opponent with it, you can't follow up with anything, and you can get punished for it if they're at low damage (or crouch cancel at higher percents). The most simple and effective approach (again, in my opinion) is a running SHFFL Nair. More experienced players might start to catch on to this though, so it's good to mix it up sometimes with some running Dtilts, Full jump thunderjolts, or even SH Uairs. I highly recommend getting that SHFFL Nair approach down first though.

3) Cookie cut??? LOL I've never heard that name before. I saw that you referred to my match against Shiz. "Cookies" is the name that Taj gave to any character stealing the edge from someone from on the stage using their up-b. Instead of taking the edge, he says he "steals your cookies" lol. And that just shortened into cookies. He originally came up with the term for Mewtwo, but he shares the same name with Pikachu now too.
Here's what it looks like with Mewtwo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHOerb2oIFE#t=3m41s
As far as using my up-b to intercept people's recoveries... Against people who haven't seen it before, it usually makes them airdodge, up-b early, or do something that they didn't mean to do (which is good for you). However, since I do it so much here in AZ now, everyone knows to stay calm so it doesn't do much anymore =( It's kinda like Mewtwo's forward-b on Battlefield. Against inexperienced people, they usually freak out and kill themselves, but if they know what to do, they just stay calm and make it back.

Almost all of the vids that you see me do it, it's on Tai who already knows what to do against it. I used it last weekend on someone who never saw it before though, and here's the result lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH3r18uRoxA#t=13m21s

Even if it doesn't work much on the AZ guys anymore, I still like to do it. I think it just looks cool, plus it pays off when I fight someone who's never seen it before.

EZ.

Smash Rookie
Again my mistake on the "cookie cutter" name. I swear I've heard it somewhere cause thats something I wouldn't think to make up. But anyway now I know and thanks again for the response.

I've been fighting a falco, jiggs, and marth consistently and improving everyday. The SHFFL Nair is something that comes in VERY useful and I picked it up after watching some more of your videos Axe. Loving Pikachu!

Just wondering, as I mentioned before, fighting Falco, Jiggs, and Marth, any tips or tricks? Puff is SOOOOO annoying. Just can't finish her off.
And I can't seem to get pass marth when I'm on the ledge trying to recover onto the stage. He just sits and waits. Anything I do just gets me forward smashed back off the stage.

One final question on this post is: How do you know what arial to do when your juggling them? I watched the game you posted of your two's and noticed that you'd throw in a dair or nair every now and then instead of keeping them up in u-airs.

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions just trying to perfect my game.

EZ

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
dash attack is a good move it beats out projectiles and lasts long use it against fireballs and crap. not arrows but yeah.

vs marth first off ban YS makes it all worlds easier and try to take him to DL64 so you have a lot of space, live forever and he can't punish you right if you land on platforms. As for recovery you just have to learn for the longest time I was uber oredictable with my recovery and it seemed to work then people I played stepped it up and I slowly got better with being creative with it.

also vs marth here are the basic moves you spam a lot: nair, upair, d-tilt, jolt and if you sheild a move grab or up-smash. up-smash if you can but really takes mindgames. oh wait this is pikachu you can f-smash a bit also. i'm used to pichu vsmarth sorry.

why he does up-throw nair/dair is because upair only does 3% and isn't so easy to follow up forever it would take 4 upairs to equal one nair and 5 to equal a dair. plus if you dair/nair he can send out a jolt where ever marth will land to punish him and try to keep up the pressure.

if cornered I like to sheild more and up-B around them is normally a great idea but again i'm thinking of pichu who has no up-B lag and less range to beat marth's spacing.

falco learn PSing and how to avoid lasers also b-throw near edge to jump jolt to nair or whatever so many things to do for that gimp. f-throw has some stuff near the edge also you could drop nair or f-tilt the edge when he'd jump up or SH dair so he hits it jumping up and if he wait he'll have to up-B to make it.

I love fighting puff my favorite match-up besides vs marth as pichu. or dittos. jolts are sexy don't let puff pin you down keep moving. f-throw nair is nice. upair beats puff's dair. if above you can up-B around, 2nd jump away to jolt or thunder and I thinkl dair is the worse thing you could do it's the least safe.

if puff is grounded and back to you don't nair it's a trap

EZ.

Smash Rookie
dash attack is a good move it beats out projectiles and lasts long use it against fireballs and crap. not arrows but yeah.

vs marth first off ban YS ............

......if puff is grounded and back to you don't nair it's a trap
Thank you ICG, and forgive my noobness(?) but im not familiar with the term YS for marth.

Doser

Smash Ace
Thank you ICG, and forgive my noobness(?) but im not familiar with the term YS for marth.
The stage Yoshi's Story, it's an amazing stage for marth, so you should ban it.

Edit:Didn't refresh the page for like 30 minutes, I deserve this.

EZ.

Smash Rookie
Yoshi's Story...Marth's best counter pick stage if he can't chain grab you....and you're pikachu...so he can't.
Ah thankyou. I wasn't thinking stages. I was thinking of some kind of move haha. **Zoom** right over my head. Anyway, yes I get what you are saying and will do.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I still think it is a pretty good stage for pikachu, since it has a low cieling...but I would rather choose Pokemon stadium as a CP since there is a lot more "stage" ... rather than platforms

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
pikachu is a run around chartcer he needs space and marth needs to lock you down it all works together to f*** you up and YES marth can chain throw you and tech chase you and all kindsof things. f-throw regrab?

soju

SD God
What's the first thing one should do when trying to learn to play pikachu competitively for the first time?

Just wondering...

umm. . . I would say learn all the matchups against top tiers, master shffling, try your best, and don't give up on pikachu ^^', haha

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I disagree with that statement. You don't need either one to play smart.
where did I say play smart? Hwoever if you can't control your movement to avoid being locked down yeah you're going to get rocked. if you get hit all over the place and can't approach it's hard to play smart. pikachu's movement is directly connected to his approach and defense.

Top Bottom