• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

soju

SD God
Nah I forgot how soon apex is(now) but I learned I'll be on the east coasting for my 2nd phase of training if any of you guys are east coast?

Also I'm way closer to subaverage then legendary in terms of skill nowadays, I still know a lot of random pika info so I'll try contributing to the pika forums more often :3

:phone:

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
lol we ended up not even doing the mm. should have done it day 1 or something, day 3 was way too cramped and then the setups were removed later...~_~

good seeing you guys smuckers/axe
good job on 9th axe :) also your yl is amazing!

camerino1

Smash Lord
I was rooting for you so hard Axe. I have a feeling that Pika and Ganon are gonna be switching places on the tier list soon because of how well you've been performing.

N64

Smash Champion
Didn't see much of APEX, but saw a couple of your matches axe.
Match 2 vs Tope.... hngggggg. So good.

good stuff

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Evidently, I'm entertaining the idea of maining falcon instead of pika. As weird as it sounds, I feel the most confident as falcon, despite never having played a tourney match with him. It doesn't hurt that I find him really fun and actually enjoy practicing with him lol. I intend to go to a local in like 2 weeks, I'm gonna try falcon out and see how it goes before making a final decision.

:phone:

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
if you have more fun playing falcon, then play falcon

there's about a 0.1% chance that you're going to be playing this game for sustenance, so you might as well use whatever character you're most satisfied with instead of trying to pick the "best" choice.

on top of that, you'll just perform better with a character if you enjoy them more. if a character is more satisfying to play, then using them will focus your attention on actually *playing the game*, which allows you to play to your potential on a more consistent basis. if you're using a character for the wrong reasons, it's going to detract from your gameplay.

tl;dr- use who your heart tells you to use

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
^ he's not joking
the sleeves go past his elbows

if you have more fun playing falcon, then play falcon

there's about a 0.1% chance that you're going to be playing this game for sustenance, so you might as well use whatever character you're most satisfied with instead of trying to pick the "best" choice.

on top of that, you'll just perform better with a character if you enjoy them more. if a character is more satisfying to play, then using them will focus your attention on actually *playing the game*, which allows you to play to your potential on a more consistent basis. if you're using a character for the wrong reasons, it's going to detract from your gameplay.

tl;dr- use who your heart tells you to use
yes
the realness of this post

N64

Smash Champion
lame
play whoever pikas the most chu

but yeah, play whoever you have fun with. fun is fun! and it keeps you playing/improving

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Play Falcon so you can teach me Falcon. I eventually get bored in my suit of armor that I can shoot limitless missiles and a death beam from a cannon on my arm :awesome:

Nah but seriously ICs aren't as fun as Falcon, like, not even once.

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah, I've actually picked up Falcon myself. Worked up my tech skill by main Fox/Falco/Space Animals, spacing with Marth and tech chasing with Sheik... and its led to me highly considering maining Falcon. For the time being I'm just going to keep using him against Mario/Doc because I love that MU

Also, Jeff is such a G, those XXL shirts...

Bing

Smash Master
I used my Pikachu for the first time in ages to do a 2 vs 1 match against some new people... I won but man I have forgotten how to do like... everything. Outside of tail spikes and such it was just bad.

Bing

Smash Master
Well I know HOW to play Pikachu, just Rusty, thats all. Basically I did just shffl nair, a few quick grab combos when I didnt have a second person on my *** and tail spikes all dai

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
^ funnily enough that's basically how i cleared most of my rom 5 pools <_<

amazing how far matchup knowledge can get you

Bing

Smash Master
Its not even matchup knowledge, its basic character knowledge of yourself and what works and what doesnt in general situations and abusing these. Like, if you stall on the ledge, people, especially spacies will grow antsy and try to get you off the ledge, punish the **** out of them. I do it with Zelda's up-B too.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
me included

**** patience, go ham or go home
#scrubmentality

Bing

Smash Master
So, In my region I'm actually one of the stronger players(4th on the PR), and I lost in both winners and losers in round 1 of the last tournament I hosted because of that mentality. Winners was a close set that I didnt think I'd win anyways, losers though, I lost two a peach who made bracket because everyone in his pool made it out, and I played so stupidily aggro I literally ran into everything he threw at me. It was terrible.

Bing

Smash Master

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
What are pika's answers to a frame perfect falcon cc out of dd? He can't really space for ccing when falcon is dding and upair doesn't break it till 20%. Cause I enjoy what I do to pikachu's as falcon when they get tired of pichu.

I'm pretty sure(fancy) my falcon can wreak some pikas which I used to think was fairly even. But it rolls back to falcon if he plays it silly with a lead. Mm axe like I need to pichu vs Your yl xD

I wanta say pikachu is like pichu and can run under some fun stuff but i can't remember if its that or if he's like pichu where when dding against marth when You run away it reduces marth's jc jump range that will land on You by about half nearly lower than his duck. But that jab is even lower than that.

N64

Smash Champion
Approaching falcon can be rough. Guy is too fast. Usually pika has to just go in and do deep nairs. If falcon ccs it, he can't really retaliate with anything. If he tried to dash out of the way, he has to dash so far that he transitions into, and turning around to punish is slow an awkward. If he contests it with uair or knee or something he'll probably beat it, but that's the risk. If pika doesn't commit to approaches, I can see falcon running circles around that and getting a stomp or grab -> pain town.

The match is so sway-y, 0-deaths back and forth if players guess right and/or react well. Also makes it really FUN.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Does Pika have much influence on the pace of the game? o 3o

may seem like a silly question but not sure.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Pika nulls out falcon incrediblely hard even pichu can with upairs. It's too disjointed or falcon to deal with. And when You know falcon will retreat on dd jolts are funny. So it's pretty easy to ločk falcon to the ground… which kindof sucks. Most falcon will jump because it's normally a great option. Vs pika it's dumb. Dding cc falcon is even sillier. Really bulling foe space is how it's played mid percent and higher.

N64

Smash Champion
He does, BEHR, but it's more prominent (or at least more noticable) in some matchups. Pikachu's mobility lets him pick his fights more often than most chars, so this can prevent the opponent from having too much influence on the pace of the game. In some matchups, Pikachu can apply pressure well. In others, he has to be more cautious. But in all of them he'll be moving pretty much whenever he can, and when used well this can make your opponent have to react more to your movements than you will to his.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
i had a big post written @behr but then i was dumb and its gone. fourtunately n64 pretty much summarized it ~_~

i guess ill write it again lol

if you watch old pika footage, traditional pikas tend to be really defensive. they rely on dd waiting into nair/grab punish, which is great because pika has the mobility to space out the opponent for accidents/whiffs. kind of fox-esque. (id also like to add that they use uair walls pretty frequently, probably because uair is amazing) the recent(ish) trend is a more aggro playstyle, largely opened up thanks to (IMO) crossup nair mixups vs shield. this can speed up the pace sometimes since you're frequently presenting urgent decision-making scenarios to the opponent...but each opponent reacts to pika pressure differently so it's not the best 'pacemaker' hurrhurrhurhurhrur

however, pika doesn't have a lot of tools to zone when waiting - his jolt is pretty bad at midrange and he doesn't have much disjointed range on anything other than uair (something most opponents are very wary about, you'll rarely find them trying to stay above pika). you can make the opponent play around your tilts a bit but they're not very threatening and don't guarantee much. overall you'll need to maintain a decent amount of space if you want to control pace effectively since you don't have many safe zoning tools. i guess you could try some janky stuff like retreating fair/uair or something. <_<

it's also incredibly frustrating to find openings vs strong defensive zoning/faster characters, so controlling pace becomes harder. bleh

disclaimer - this might be a bad post because im falling asleep. i hope not lol

Top Bottom