• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

N64

Smash Champion
I generally don't like swordsmen. I also know the sheik matchup isn't all in pikachu's favor. So, Marth, link, and sheik.
As dkuo said, Fox and Falco are probably your best bet. Falco + Pika seems like a more common (and theoretically good) combination.
Peach or sheik could also give you good mileage if they are more your style.

Also, i'm glad you like my guide :)

AXE 09

Smash Master
So Marth, Link, and Sheik?

I actually feel that Fox does better against all 3 of those characters than Falco does, but it's definitely arguable.

Also call me crazy, but I feel that Doc would be a good choice too

Mormon Mammoth

Smash Cadet
Provo, Utah, but I still love Austin, Texas
I have never really played as the spacies. I wouldn't mind fox. One of my friends recommended jigglypuff, because, as he put it, I "have the capacity for cruelty to achieve it."
I also haven't played against good jiggs, peach, or doc.
Thank you for the feedback.

Also call me crazy, but I feel that Doc would be a good choice too
Axe, that is crazy enough that it just might work.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I generally don't like swordsmen. I also know the sheik matchup isn't all in pikachu's favor. So, Marth, link, and sheik.
Just in case you didn't know, Pikachu's uair can't be crouch cancelled. Neither can Pikachu's d-smash. I feel like a lot of people tend to spam crouch cancel against low tiers, but Pikachu has good answers to it.

FourStar

Smash Ace
I feel like the only reason why Pika is ranked so low on the tier list is due to aerials being less effective than marth's, falco's, fox's, and all the high tier characters. But really if you use Pika right he is better than most characters

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Well, he is above most characters on the tier list <_< so yeah he's better than most characters lol
I think he might be above doc, and is definitely above ganon. but that's probably my limit

he lacks range and effective zoning tools too, not just bad aerials. his nair and uair are actually pretty damn good

N64

Smash Champion
I feel he's in an ok spot. Could move up 1-2 spots from the 2012 tier list, but doesn't have to. He has a disadvantageous matchup against the top 8 (vs cfalcon is debateable), so i wouldn't feel right putting him above any of them. And he at least does as well against the top 8 as ganon, doc, and samus, so I think he's in a good spot.

FourStar

Smash Ace
I feel he's in an ok spot. Could move up 1-2 spots from the 2012 tier list, but doesn't have to. He has a disadvantageous matchup against the top 8 (vs cfalcon is debateable), so i wouldn't feel right putting him above any of them. And he at least does as well against the top 8 as ganon, doc, and samus, so I think he's in a good spot.
Like against peach, captain falcon and fox i feel he is really strong. but then again i was watching axe :p

FourStar

Smash Ace
Well, he is above most characters on the tier list <_< so yeah he's better than most characters lol
I think he might be above doc, and is definitely above ganon. but that's probably my limit

he lacks range and effective zoning tools too, not just bad aerials. his nair and uair are actually pretty damn good
I feel like aerials are good but would be better if he wasn't so small and light

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Random story: a hot chick wanted to buy me a drink and I ended up arguing with her hotter friend about how good Pikachu is in melee. I don't know how we ended up on that topic in a crowded bar, but yeah.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
if she dissed my boy pikabro id be obliged to

granted idk if thats what happened but w/e

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Oh wow.

In other news, I went all Pikachu in a recent small tournament. Didn't win but I feel like I'm getting much better with the character. Pika pika! :D

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
^nice. i saw the bracket, and koji beats my pika occasionally. he's getting really good really fast ~_~

AAH HAPPY BIRTHDAY AXE

AXE 09

Smash Master
@Doomolish: Only the hottest

@ChivalRuse: Good job reppin that Pika!! Any vids?

@Dkuo: Thank you so much! :)

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
I still think Pikachu is the most underrated doubles character by a long shot. I want to go double Pikachu in a tournament with you so bad, Jeff.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
one designated onstage turbo aggro, the other designated ledgecamp gimper

perfect

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
since the pika board has been a little aimless/dead recently im just gonna throw a topic out

what do you guys think about pika's cc game? are there any specific tactics that you find to be reliable regarding cc, perhaps in specific matchups?
im asking this since i barely use cc in my game at all, other than cc sdi tech/edgecancel

i cant imagine any reliable punish options out of cc other than dsmash/usmash, maybe grab. possibly tilts on higher %'s. everything else either feels too slow or doesn't have a great payoff imo

N64

Smash Champion
You listed most of the things I'll use it for. Mostly, usmash. If i think someone will come in with an aerial I can cc and then try to follow up with something, i'll cc->usmash them. Or if they come in with a projectile (laser, turnip, etc.) to protect themself, cc->usmash if I think it will still beat their approach.

CC->dsmash is also ok, but I probably rely on it too much. Against better opponents it will often just get you shieldgrabbed.
CC->dtilt works alright against other tilts. Also works pretty well in pikachu dittos i think. Edge of dtilt will usually hit, and that will push them just far enough away for you to be in position for a nair approach right after (or just give you space if you need it).
CC->uair is alright if someone is trying to overshoot you with an approach. It's usually worse than just shield->uair, but it could mess up their l-cancel timing, or the nature of the aerial might push you back slightly still and help you hit the uair.

Overall, I think the main issue with his cc game is that it requires him to take damage, and pikachu doesn't like taking damage. It can pay off if it lets you get a good usmash or start a combo with uair or something, but generally these options aren't quick and/or strong enough (as you mentioned) to make good use of ccing something. It's almost always better to shield, and I'll usually only cc something if I want to mess with my opponent's l-cancels or if my shield is already low and i'm worried about shieldstabs (and still have to take a hit).

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Random story: a hot chick wanted to buy me a drink and I ended up arguing with her hotter friend about how good Pikachu is in melee. I don't know how we ended up on that topic in a crowded bar, but yeah.
so i assume you at least tried to go out with this girl who would argue about smash at a bar

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
CC -> grab / running grab is excellent vs Sheik tilt spam. You can set it up by running in and holding down. It should work especially well if you've conditioned the Sheik to tilt you out of your nair approach. All you have to do is set up the same timing and then substitute a running CC instead.

I don't like crouch cancelling much in other matchups, though, because trading damage is not so good when you have a light character like Pikachu who dies at lower percents. Furthermore, he has such high mobility and ability to vary his approach that it's seems wasteful to take any damage in order to find a counter, when dash dancing properly can set up your approach and lead to damaging combos more reliably.

Speaking of crouch cancel, I need to use Pikachu's d-tilt more in general. The range is great and the lag is nonexistent.

AXE 09

Smash Master
CC->dtilt works alright against other tilts. Also works pretty well in pikachu dittos i think. Edge of dtilt will usually hit, and that will push them just far enough away for you to be in position for a nair approach right after (or just give you space if you need it).
DEFINITELY this. Lots and lots lol. I do CC dtilts a lot just because it puts them in a great position for a SHFFL Nair approach. Works great in almost every matchup IMO

CC -> grab / running grab is excellent vs Sheik tilt spam. You can set it up by running in and holding down. It should work especially well if you've conditioned the Sheik to tilt you out of your nair approach. All you have to do is set up the same timing and then substitute a running CC instead.
This is a really great idea. I think I'll start doing that. Thank you ChivalRuse =)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It's actually a pretty hard strategy to implement properly. You have to keep in mind the percent threshold when f-tilt starts breaking CC (at exactly 82% on Pikachu if f-tilt is unstaled). That's the easy part. The hard part is being grounded when the Sheik f-tilts and getting her to f-tilt. Good Sheik players will be shielding and or moving around and grabbing more than tilting, especially at low percents. But it's definitely something to keep in mind, especially early on in a set when the Sheik is still trying to figure you out. But anyway, I'm glad that you appreciate the idea. :)

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
As a Sheik/Marth player, I just like to grab Pikachu out of the nair. huehuehue

N.A.G.A.C.E: I actually ended up leaving with another lady instead. Though smash girl was a cutie and I regret not at least remembering her name.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
@axe

i know you're still playing the match vs fly right now (lol)
but were you di'ing out of his dthrows? or was fly just not cging you at all

edit - i guess the last match answered my question -.-
pika ics...mannn

edit2 - also i feel really slow for not realizing this until now...people who setup their shield while facing away can counter crossups more easily...-.-

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
As always, even though I don't main the blue Pika no more, Axe your Pika is an inspiration to get better at my current main. Love watching you play, you'll get'm next time!

soju

SD God
Tip of the Day: approach with bair on tall characters who like to grab you( marth, falcon, sheik, peach) after you come in with an aerial. They will whiff their grab and you have a split second for a free punish. Back to the pika cave- soju out!
*bonus-its also a roflcopter so you can look silly yet style over your dreaded foes
**super bonus-Did I also mention bair is also the best move to do falling through a platform because it's pikas only move that falls through platforms, try it out and figure out neat-o stuff with it that I haven't, like falling inside the dreamland waffle to your death or punishing that pesky marth utilt under platform with bairs silly hit and hurt box.

@FourStar- you can be bay areas best pikachu when you beat me, which is rather easy since im a crazy ol pika player who likes to find the most akward use of moves, challenge me anytime

FourStar

Smash Ace
Tip of the Day: approach with bair on tall characters who like to grab you( marth, falcon, sheik, peach) after you come in with an aerial. They will whiff their grab and you have a split second for a free punish. Back to the pika cave- soju out!
*bonus-its also a roflcopter so you can look silly yet style over your dreaded foes
**super bonus-Did I also mention bair is also the best move to do falling through a platform because it's pikas only move that falls through platforms, try it out and figure out neat-o stuff with it that I haven't, like falling inside the dreamland waffle to your death or punishing that pesky marth utilt under platform with bairs silly hit and hurt box.

@FourStar- you can be bay areas best pikachu when you beat me, which is rather easy since im a crazy ol pika player who likes to find the most akward use of moves, challenge me anytime
LOLOL will you be at nor cal regionals? cuz if you are maybe we can do some friendlies?

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
so uhhhhhhh i might be moving to cali in a few months. just a heads up ;o

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
As a Sheik/Marth player, I just like to grab Pikachu out of the nair. huehuehue

N.A.G.A.C.E: I actually ended up leaving with another lady instead. Though smash girl was a cutie and I regret not at least remembering her name.
idk man seems like a questionable choice not going for smash girl. a girl who is cute talking about smash is at min gf matrial

Top Bottom