• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

FourStar

Smash Ace
i used to main pika but i main falco now

i just like talking about pika stuff
plus i still play pika a lot (when i do manage to play) both in and out of tourney
Isn't it weird going from pika and adjusting to falco? like they way they play is like on different spectrums. at least for me it is....

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
yea i suppose

but its not very hard to get the general idea of falco's playstyle lol

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
wait, how so? other than their comboing (sort of) i dont see the similarities...

FourStar

Smash Ace
Lol fox is more similar in the way that both pika and fox have strong up moves (tilt, smash and aerial). Plus i personally like fox flows better as a character

OliClutch117

Smash Apprentice
I feel fox is closer because of there similar go to moves and the flow of both their combos. Also fox has a better recovery and adjusting from Pikas good recovery to Falcos really short recovery is a real bother.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
hm

i thought you said pika was similar to falco <_<
if you meant fox then i agree lol

FourStar

Smash Ace
Ok so i'm really having trouble shorthopping with fox and pika right now. idk why but any techniques to help?

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
practice until you dont mess up. lol no way around it

i havent tried this before but you could try to psych yourself into thinking that the jump button is really hot and that'll make you tap it a lot quicker. forgot who i heard this from

FourStar

Smash Ace

i havent tried this before but you could try to psych yourself into thinking that the jump button is really hot and that'll make you tap it a lot quicker. forgot who i heard this from

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman

My technique is to light my controller on fire so it's hot and I have to tap it quicker.

Seems to work pretty well

My thumb hurts a bit though

I should point out that having a brand new controller actually makes it harder to short hop consistently. With that said, go buy a new nintendo brand one

AXE 09

Smash Master
I'm still here lol.

Keep in mind that in order to short hop, you need to release the x/y button before Pikachu leaves the ground. So after you press x/y, Pikachu stays on the ground for 3 frames (in a sort of crouching animation like he's getting ready to jump), and then he's airborne on frame 4. You have to release the button within those 3 frames.

I've gotten used to pressing and then releasing the button quickly, but a lot of others use the "sliding" method. They basically barely push x/y with the edge of their thumb, and then slide their thumb off of the button. You can slide your thumb downwards or to the right if you're using X (which is what I use).

Remember that Pikachu is the hardest character to shorthop with in the game (tied with Fox and a few other characters), so don't feel bad if you can't do it consistently right away. It does take practice.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you have to release it within 2 frames. it checks on the last frame of jumpsquat whether or not the button is pressed.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Lol screw you Vman. Pikachu > YL > Fox > Kirby > dirt > the worms inside the dirt >>> Yoshi

So if you want to short hop is the sliding method the best way to go then?
Not necessarily, but it's just a method that I know helps some players. I personally just press the button and release it, but I know plenty of others like to slide their thumb instead.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
The key to being able to short hop consistently is by trying to short hop :0. Seriously though, I guess if you feel more comfortable sliding, that's fine, but I think you should just go to practice mode and give yourself goals like:
do 5 in a row from a standing position
do 10 in a row from a standing position
do 20 etc
then try doing that again except from a dash
then eventually make sure you can shffl perfectly at least 20 times in a row, or however many you want (should be forever).

Also what the hell are you guys talking about, pikachu sucks. I guess not as much as yoshi, but certainly he is worse than popo's stool

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
the worms inside the dirt is like high tier though don't sleep on them

make sure you can shorthop in different scenarios btw. i remember there was a time where if i wasn't doing a running sh nair i wouldn't be able to shorthop. muscle memory is weird

Top Bottom