• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yea I was super impressed with Chad...
I had no idea that he was still... good... lol.
<3 pleasant upsets

watching FC made me wanna pick up Pika again... but then I just played Pichu instead :3

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
come to apex plz, then there will be a minimum of 3 pikas there (unless i ***** out and go falco...but that's not going to happen ;))

good job to both of you btw, making pika look viable! :) lol

Spyro

Smash Ace
It must be nice having people to play with foreveraloneguy.jpg

It's been like attest 4 months since I've gotten to play Melee with anyone :c

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
lol why so sad? its not like youll meet her or something :awesome:

in other news, i can shielddrop 100% consistently now :bee: but only in shield tilt...otherwise its only like ~80% from center, ~50% under pressure...

edit - one more thing i wanted to mention...pikachu can do a perfect horizontal waveland off a backwards short hop.

AXE 09

Smash Master
lol why so sad? its not like youll meet her or something :awesome:

in other news, i can shielddrop 100% consistently now :bee: but only in shield tilt...otherwise its only like ~80% from center, ~50% under pressure...

edit - one more thing i wanted to mention...pikachu can do a perfect horizontal waveland off a backwards short hop.
I actually did not know that about the waveland thing lol. Thank you for that info!

I've been working on my shield dropping too =) It's very useful, although frustrating to learn but definitely pays off.

And welcome back to the Pika boards, D!

:phone:

AXE 09

Smash Master
^I never wanted to john about it lol. But if you want a 100% honest answer, I was very COLD. Like my hands were freezing, and I only played half of 1 match to warm up (just like 2 stocks). I know how badly I mess up tech skill when I'm cold and not warmed up, so that made me extremely nervous to play you cuz I know that if I want a chance against a player of your level, I need to be playing at my best.

For whatever reason I get cold pretty easily, so being cold and nervous at the same time made me shiver a lot. That's why I was shaking so much right before our match if you saw me.

I absolutely hate johning though, cuz you definitely deserved your victory. So although I was upset afterwards, I accepted my defeat, and just continued to warm up. I started to feel 100% warmed up after I finished my 1st loser's match vs swiftbass, so from then throughout the rest of the day, I felt way better physically (wasn't freezing cold anymore lol).

You definitely deserved your victory though. What happened happened. Regardless, we both made the top 8 so we **** :)

But yeah, that's why I wasn't shivering anymore and acting all crazy by the time we had our rematch. I just felt way better

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's not a john, I was just curious about the reason behind it. But ya the venue was a little cold, your hands in general can get cold if you didn't play enough. I had that happen to me in a few sets in pools too. But ya I was definitely pissed when you beat me 3 games in a row, you outplayed me.. no fair! lol. I didn't adapt fast enough to change the momentum to my side in general. I started going for more trades in game 3 but it wasn't enough, you are too fast and it's pretty hard to keep positional advantage vs you.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I did notice that by our third game, you were changing up a lot of things and our last match was way closer. You were definitely adapting lol. And I was lucky we didn't have to play 1 more match, cuz the way things were flowing, you probably would've won. Regardless, you are an amazing player man :) It was an honor playing against you and also teaming with you once again. SO CLOSE to winning at least 2nd. I know we could've done it.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
correction - pikachu can do perfect horizontal wavelands off shorthops in either direction.

o_O

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I did notice that by our third game, you were changing up a lot of things and our last match was way closer. You were definitely adapting lol. And I was lucky we didn't have to play 1 more match, cuz the way things were flowing, you probably would've won. Regardless, you are an amazing player man :) It was an honor playing against you and also teaming with you once again. SO CLOSE to winning at least 2nd. I know we could've done it.

Oh hell ya, next time let's both be more accurate. I felt like I was playing under my normal potential in teams overall so I'm sorry for that, I did not land many hits and I got hit a lot! =(

-Chad-

Slackerator
I thought you switched mains to fox dude?

lol who I play in tournament is basically who do I feel comfortable with at that moment vs whats my best chance at winning.

seems like most of the time that is pika, sometimes its one of the other bunch of chars I play (Mario, Fox, Link, Falco, Marth)

basically my main has been pika for the entirety of my melee career

N64

Smash Champion
i'll never forget about you chad! pika<3

Good **** to both of you at FC. One of the only parts of the stream i got to watch was you guys in P:M teams. Was entertaining.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Axe, I thought you did some pretty neat tricks with Pika's fair to extend combos in a lot of different situations at FC and I thought it was pretty cool. How useful is it or is it one of those things where if your opponent sees it enough they can get out of it?

AXE 09

Smash Master
I've found it to be pretty decent actually. Like if you get every hit of it on your opponent, you can end with an immediate Nair or Uair. Although it's sort of a gamble, cuz your opponent might be able to get their Nair off before you do (if they have a fast Nair). Although, I've found that most of the time, mine comes out first. I win with it more than I use, so I use it lol. I do remember a few times at FC where their nair came out first though. I specifically remember that happening vs Drephen, so you guys will see haha.

Using it when my opponent is grounded though hasn't exactly worked out for me.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
meh jab reset works much better for missed techs, rather than committing to a shorthop out of a hard read for any one tech option...

if you land a fair on a grounded opponent they'll usually do something predictable right after, usually shield. (if they don't know about the low hitstun)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I've found it to be pretty decent actually. Like if you get every hit of it on your opponent, you can end with an immediate Nair or Uair. Although it's sort of a gamble, cuz your opponent might be able to get their Nair off before you do (if they have a fast Nair). Although, I've found that most of the time, mine comes out first. I win with it more than I use, so I use it lol. I do remember a few times at FC where their nair came out first though. I specifically remember that happening vs Drephen, so you guys will see haha.

Using it when my opponent is grounded though hasn't exactly worked out for me.

You say that but I know that you KNOW exactly when to attack. For you it's not a gamble, reactions! =P

Top Bottom