• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Melancholy

Smash Ace
I've been trying to use up+b more offensivly, but I am having trouble. When is the best time to use up+b? What aerials should I be using out of it? Any tips for using it as a more attacking move?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Best time to Up-B is when they attack. Works especially well if you Up-aired them first.

F-air and U-air are your best options out of Up-B. F-air is a solid attack, and U-air resets the situation.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
also works well when you're on the edge of the stage and your opponent is trying to pressure you.
Though becareful, don't do it right away because a lot of players know of this and they will be ready for it.
Just don't be so predictable with it, stall on a the edge a bit before going for the up and B back on stage.

VaJaJ

Smash Cadet
If peach is using her dair on me which way should i di to get out? (If escaping is possible) thnx in advance

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
I really like n-air out of up-b if they airdodge the up-b's hitbox. Especially if you up-b straight off the ground so you can follow it up with a f-air since you keep your second jump. Mindgaemz.

DrPain

Smash Cadet
Up-b and chef work well together, too.

Speaking of chef, sometimes it sticks and I can't do anything. Please help, because this is an embarrassing way to die. As G&W I need momentum, and that doesn't help.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Don't use chef out of up-b. There's a bug where it will buffer all 5 pieces of food and there's nothing you can do to stop it short of getting hit out of it. Use normal aerials out of up-b. If you do get caught in the buffer, just mash B to make it run through more quickly. It's really the only way out once you're in. Though sometimes it will catch your opponent offguard for unintentional mindgames (the best kind) and you get a neat little f-air opportunity out of it. But it's better to just not risk it and do...really ANYTHING but chef out of up-b. Judgement isn't even a bad idea sometimes as a mixup. Just don't ever use chef out of it. Ever.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
If you just happen to get the two in succession, can your opponent get KO'd with a 9 after being caught with an 8 and frozen?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
If you just happen to get the two in succession, can your opponent get KO'd with a 9 after being caught with an 8 and frozen?
If you hit an iceblock with a nine, the opponent will NOT get sent flying.

You have to time it so that your attack (judgment) comes out at the exact moment after they pop out of the ice block.

The time the opponent stays frozen is dependent on how fast they wiggle.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
I knew it. I told Dj_Iskascribble that it wasn't possible, but he says it can be done while they're in the icebox

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Oh I knew that, I just wanted to confirm that you can't get 9'd while you are in an icebox from an 8.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i was talking about as soon as they break the ice
like the 9 K-O

tho it would need much better timing;/
lol nvm

Mr. Grey

Smash Cadet
I usually Up smash when there frozen if there at low percentages, and If there at high percentages I try to Fair, just cause I think its easier to time, maybe its just me idk.

Sometimes if I catch them in the air with an 8 ill jump up and Nair cause I dont have time for anything else.

I usually get a lot of 8s when I pull out the hammer :(

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You can space B-air so that it doesn't hit his grenades when he grenade shields. Dashing shieldgrabs are also a good option, and throwing out F-smash defensively helps when scouting what he's going to do.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
is there a better way to approach a snake than constant down + a and u air tricks?
Count the grenades, then approach with bair. Never approach on the ground with fair (especially at high percents).

If they are above you, approach with nair or uair. Learn to time uair and cancel it (land on the gorund) into other useful attacks.

Sometimes running up and shielding works. If they ftilt your shield, it's possible to turn around and bair them. The timing is very tight.

The less you approach Snake in the overall match, the better off you are. If you approach too much, the snake will learn how to beat your approaches and punish you when they matter most. You don't get many chances to approach, so you can't afford to screw up, not even once.

Mr. Grey

Smash Cadet
My question is, shouldn't we have a stage discussion thread?
I mean specifically for G&W, a stage by stage analysis, something like:
Rainbow Cruise:
Tilt lock:YES
Counter For: Etc.
Ban against: Etc.

Then some details like whether or not you can Uair kill easily on a stage or things to look out for against certain characters.

I just feel like if people knew some levels better, like Brinstar for example, they would feel lie they had more options when an opponent counter picks.

Especially if they knew what to look out for against certain characters.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
I usually Up smash when there frozen if there at low percentages, and If there at high percentages I try to Fair, just cause I think its easier to time, maybe its just me idk.

Sometimes if I catch them in the air with an 8 ill jump up and Nair cause I dont have time for anything else.

I usually get a lot of 8s when I pull out the hammer :(
Lucky you, I pull mostly 1s from the hammer

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
What the hell do I do against Oli? Should I be dominating him? My friend plays him and we go back and forth, it always comes down to last stock. Any strategies to help dominated an oli? Or perhaps a character that dominates oli?

cemo

white walker
i think bair works good in that situation.
or like... anything.

olimar with no pikmin barely has any moves, so it shouldn't really present much trouble.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What the hell do I do against Oli? Should I be dominating him? My friend plays him and we go back and forth, it always comes down to last stock. Any strategies to help dominated an oli? Or perhaps a character that dominates oli?
Vs Olimar is alternating between camping and pure aggression. What you do in this matchup is constantly space D-tilt and N-air to bat away his Pikmin. Keep in mind, well-spaced SH N-airs are able to hit him from his blind spot, and if he shields, you can jump away. At any rate however, your main goal is to force him to retreat until he has no space, or to get him to do something punishable like a running grab. Once you punish him, you have the advantage in followups.

Once you get him in the air or offstage, you want to be as aggressive as possible without leaving yourself vulnerable to whistle counters. Grabs are invaluable against him because his techroll sucks and because you can juggle him easily, so grab = **** in this matchup. If he doesn't tech, Olimar mains tend to get really predictable which way they DI, which can get you a free F-smash out of D-throw (hint: he wants to avoid getting gimped by D-smash). He's also incredibly easy to techchase chaingrab provided you can predict/react to his tech well.

The matchup I think is slightly in G&W's favor, especially factoring various counterpick stages. G&W in general has more stages that benefit him in this matchup.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
I havent played regular brawl in a while because my friends only play brawl+ :( and i dont have a wii but i was thinking of easier ways to land a hammer. I was thinking of maybe if you hit them with chef which stuns, freeze, stop idk watcha call it but can you follow up with a hammer after that. Lets say you were to do a combo like nair>uptilt(2x) then chef and sh hammer. I guess my question would be is the lag after chef to much for you rush and do a hammer if they are in the air.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
If you're asking if the food Chef shoots out has enough hitstun to guarantee a Judgement, the answer is no because vBrawl has 0 hitstun. That's not to say your opponent won't be caught off guard by getting hit by the food, so you MAY be able to hit them with it while they're surprised/unresponsive, but that's the extent of combos in vBrawl.

cemo

white walker
What does it say about GaW's metagame, when it's shifting to add his more gimmicky/punishable moves?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly, I don't know what you mean Phen.

Because all I can say is that the average G&W user gets too predictable and doesn't use enough of his moveset.

Almost all of G&W's moves are very useful, with the exception of his F-tilt really.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Ftilt is useful. I have been using it more lately. It comes out 33% faster than any of his smashes, has pretty strong knockback at high percents. Very useful if you are at the edge of a stage.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
What? Ftilt is still better than Utilt, and like I've noted before, it's a great move to throw out at high percentages against opponents because of the startup/lack of starting animation and it's solid knockback. It at least sets up edgeguarding scenarios when it doesn't kill, and the damage is good too.

Really, the only move you shouldn't use is Judgment. The only time I personally might throw it out besides in a friendly match is punishing an opponent in a freefall state, like MK after getting Uaired during his tornado. Obviously there are still factors like percentages to consider, but that's about the only scenario I might use it in.

Also, I will be ignoring Phen's silly remark.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Really, the only move you shouldn't use is Judgment. The only time I personally might throw it out besides in a friendly match is punishing an opponent in a freefall state, like MK after getting Uaired during his tornado. Obviously there are still factors like percentages to consider, but that's about the only scenario I might use it in.
You're kidding me right? :S

*Looks at the last tournament he went took 2 days ago*
*Counts how many judgments he got (1 in every teams match + a few singles)*
*Refers to video of a tournament match*

Watch the first 30 seconds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y47sa8rjYKM

-Ran

Smash Master
Judgment is a low risk, high reward move. The more you use it, the greater a chance that you'll see it hit with a nine. Probability means nothing if you never use the move. Furthermore, as a move that people aren't accustomed to seeing, they won't have a move queued in their head to defeat it.

Trust me, I've played Zac a few times. If you're smart about the Judgment, the worst you'll get punished is a few percent points for something that could lead the a straight up kill.

cemo

white walker
I mean, the consensus for a while was that moves like, judgement, chef, were all straight up -bad-.
Sure, they can be useful, but I feel things like chef and judgement are only effective if you use them sparingly, and if people catch on to you, you get punished heavily.

Not that I mind, I like to play high risk - high reward, but I feel Game and Watch is slowly becoming a character that has to rely on these 'bad' moves to win, and what does that say about him?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I'm sorry, but I don't share the same views on the move. It has fairly high risk in a startup similar to his smashes and a cooldown that isn't to write home about, and the reward varies from "Free stock" to "I just got a 1 and ate a Snake's Utilt". Low Risk/High Reward doesn't really accurately describe Judgment. If you make a point to overuse the move, then yeah you are going to see a lot of nine kills, mainly because you place way too much emphasis on trying to land it. How many of your hammers werent nines? Probably a noteworthy amount.

It's easily his worst move. Granted, it's still a usable move and low tiers would love it's ability to gamble a stock, but to say it's anything but his worst move (Well, actually Utilt could be just as bad but their individual usefulness is hard to quantify) is silly.

Phen, Chef has never been a bad move, and it's never been a really risky move either when you apply it correctly to situations. There's nothing wrong at all with having a move that can't be thrown out excessively when it's good when it is used.

G&W doesn't have to rely on either chef or judgment to win. I don't know where you got that ridiculous notion, but it's wrong; G&W's moveset is solid across the board and it has always been so. Don't mistake a single person curiously asking if he can chain judgment as a shift in Game & Watch mentality.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
G&W doesn't have to rely on either chef or judgment to win. I don't know where you got that ridiculous notion, but it's wrong; G&W's move set is solid across the board and it has always been so. Don't mistake a single person curiously asking if he can chain judgment as a shift in Game & Watch mentality.
That was me BTW. I just wondered if it might be possible. When i get a chance to play vbrawl, ill try it out. I was tired of getting punished when i pull out a hammer. The safest way i use it is when they are outside the stage and a 6,8, and definitely 9 is a good edge guard move. Also i love using chef, it gets people irritated and throws their game off and it can gimp folks with bad recoveries if they are not careful. So i say chef is a good edge guard tool when trying to stay unpredictable.

On a side note: I love 9ing snakes when they recover. Makes me all warm in my tummy.

Edit: I didnt want to double post but i had another question. Since ive only been playing brawl+ lately i noticed i can carry people in helpless across the stage with uair. Is that also possible in vbrawl? That would be sweet if it was but i doubt it cause ive never heard of that being possible.

Top Bottom