• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What are some good setups for GnW kills? Other then d-throw to d-smash (w/o tech) or d-throw to tech chase u-smash, and the ocasional fake out f-air, ive had some problems killing elusive opponents like sonic and zss, and would like to know some nice setups for kills, thanks
Edgeguards usually are how you kill people that are hard to hit. G&W has the tools to effectively edgeguard every character in the game.

D-tilt is surprisingly good for setting up kills just due to the ability to put people in a really bad position offstage (ESPECIALLY powerful vs Snake and other predictable recoveries). Chef when people get hit by it gives you massive frame advantage into w/e you might think fit.

N-air has been mentioned, and the first hit of N-air at certain percents combos into D-smash/F-smash just nicely. U-air first hit does as well but is usually less practical, but killing with U-air is actually pretty overlooked generally because N-airing people tends to be easier or because U-air is often used in trap setups. At fairly high percents, U-tilt and to a lesser extent F-tilt work as KO moves. I actually like U-tilt in high percent KOs because it's pretty easy to catch airdodges or anti-air with it. D-throw F-tilt it should be noted I think combos on the entire cast when they don't tech.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Against MK, dash attacking the edge while he is trying to recover to it can stage spike. Works against side-B and down-B. Sometimes it works with shuttle loop, but not against nado.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
To answer the question in case others were wondering:

If you manage to get Wario in a grab release (his feet dangle over a ledge) then you can follow up with: fsmash (kills at 74% on FD), dsmash (slightly charged), dair spike (guaranteed but difficult), or even judgment.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
You can also punish with judgement if they air dodge to the ground if you bait it

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Thanks Zac, that's what I was wondering. I forgot that you can't grab-release him on solid ground, since the last time I did it was on a platform with his feel dangling.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
As I remember, no, he does not. He has the 3rd most powerful Up Smash, with Ivysaur holding the second strongest, and Lucas holding the most powerful.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I'm not sure where DK fits in, off the top of my head. I believe G&W has higher base knockback/knockback growth on his, but I don't know for certain. I can't check at the moment, as I'm actually heading out to play some Brawl with friends.

Either way, the answer to the question remains no. G&W's helmet packs a huge punch, but not the biggest punch.

KAB1

Smash Apprentice
As I remember, no, he does not. He has the 3rd most powerful Up Smash, with Ivysaur holding the second strongest, and Lucas holding the most powerful.
Actually, you have Ivysaur and Lucas backwards; Ivysaur has the strongest up smash while Lucas' is the second strongest, on a grounded opponent. For an aerial opponent, it's Ivysaur with the strongest, then DK, then Lucas.
Source: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156908

So now that I helped with that, could someone tell me how to SDI out of G&W's bair? People say to do it but then they never mention how. It would really be much appreciated! :)

Edit: Thanks guys.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Regarding SDI'ing from the Turtle, all you have to do is flick your control stick from a position of the one diagonal you are heading and upwards. By the direction you are heading, it depends if he's tippering it and moving back, in which case you wanna just minimize damage and back out, or if he's moving into you in which case you wanna SDI INTO him. SDI'ing into him and using an attack is the best way to punish a misspaced Bair.

So, diagonal position depending on your which direction you want to head, then Up on your analog, and keep doing this back and forth using these two points on the analog. You don't need to set your control stick back into a neutral position.

Basically, what Kitamerby said :p

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Which is why fullhop B-air is surprisingly awesome. especially against big characters.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Falco dropped down from the ledge and immediately jumped, it seems, causing a footstool. I don't believe Falco's ledge hop looks like that or goes that high, so I'd say it's a footstool (Your Uair was close in timing, but it looked like the jump resolved before Uair would have increased his jump).

Sephirothdotcom

Smash Cadet
Falco dropped down from the ledge and immediately jumped, it seems, causing a footstool. I don't believe Falco's ledge hop looks like that or goes that high, so I'd say it's a footstool (Your Uair was close in timing, but it looked like the jump resolved before Uair would have increased his jump).
alright thanks! i was leaning towards that, but just havn't been able to redo it, cuz everytime we did, the footstool animation actually came out, so i guess that one time it was timed so that the animation was canceled by my u-air.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Are you referring to the falling animation when you get footstooled? G&W doesn't go into that animation when footstooled when he's in his Parachute.

Pixeldude

Smash Rookie
hmk.

Also, I always approach with the turtle. What are some other good ways to approach?

super beans

Smash Cadet
hmk.

Also, I always approach with the turtle. What are some other good ways to approach?
hitting them wiht a few bacons and grabing is a pretty cool thing :p

i also like falling nair to u tilt lock to nair to 9 hammer if u get lucky *at low precents works best*

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
It's not super armor, I didn't take any damage. And I thought it was proven a few weeks after the game came out that G&W's upsmash does NOT have invincibility like it did in Melee.

super beans

Smash Cadet
It's not super armor, I didn't take any damage. And I thought it was proven a few weeks after the game came out that G&W's upsmash does NOT have invincibility like it did in Melee.
hmm yea u didnt take any damage. O: i got no idea lol

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I'm pretty sure the consensus is that, during G&W's Usmash, his hurtbox shrinks away from his head. His body can still be damaged, but the helmet region just can't at a certain point; It's disjointed. Also, Usmash also has a ton of range if you remember the G&W hitbox video.

So because it's super disjointed, you remained unscathed.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu G&W Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho!

Q: How does G&W fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can G&W abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see G&W's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]
<beep3

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
I'm surprised you didn't ask me, Lou, or Today. IMO, I say G&W would have a hard time against ROB.

Top Bottom