• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
oh yeah no doubt, i use it all the time, i was just trying to help him make sure he was conscientiously separating the dash from the upsmash, instead of essentially all at once, like all the other things i said

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Could use some help on where to counter pick King Dedede, Wario, and Zamus because I use Falco for those 3 characters. Any help would be appreciated.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
I think I've discovered yet another new but useless thing with Falco.

Get within 1/2 a Dash distance from the edge/platform. Then Dash and Reverse Phantasm toward the stage. Falco does this strange version of the phantasm along the stage grabbing the edge. It can hit, but it's super situational. I tried baiting people with lasers but, meh.

Denzi

Smash Master
I think I've discovered yet another new but useless thing with Falco.

Get within 1/2 a Dash distance from the edge/platform. Then Dash and Reverse Phantasm toward the stage. Falco does this strange version of the phantasm along the stage grabbing the edge. It can hit, but it's super situational. I tried baiting people with lasers but, meh.
We knew about it. There's hardly any circumstance where it's better to use then just quarter-circling the ledge (which is faster).

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Could use some help on where to counter pick King Dedede, Wario, and Zamus because I use Falco for those 3 characters. Any help would be appreciated.
Help with this anyone, seems like it's been avoided, lol.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Where ? You mean what CP stages ?

DDD : Jungles Japes, or FD.
ZSS : FD.
Wario : I don't really know, probably JJ.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I've decided to definitely re-pick up Falco. May I ask for suggestions on what I should master quick? I defintiely gotten down IAP, SHL/SHDL, the Gatling Combo, and his Pivot Grabbing down. I'm working on Boost Pivot Grabbing now. Anything else you recommend?

Cross.

Smash Ace
Those are pretty much falcos bnb along with bpg so after you learn that you should be good. Boost smashing is something else thats worth learning since Usmash is his best kill move. Being able to shorten and extend the illusion is nice, but its pretty difficult and not really necessary.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I've decided to definitely re-pick up Falco. May I ask for suggestions on what I should master quick? I defintiely gotten down IAP, SHL/SHDL, the Gatling Combo, and his Pivot Grabbing down. I'm working on Boost Pivot Grabbing now. Anything else you recommend?
Despite knowing all this, do you know how to Falco?

You need to feel the Falco style of play.

Smash Apprentice
Is it a good idea to use side-b to get around the stage?

Is fair a good attack?

Is there any way to tell the timing on SHL?

What's better U Smash or U Tilt?

What's better, D Smash or D Tilt?

Thanks!

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect

Is fair a good attack?

Thanks!
SideB to transport? only if you are in a tight spot.

Fair sucks major ***

usmash for killing, utilt for damage racking

Dsmash for killing (though it has bad range) and Dtilt totally sucks, maybe use it on lower percentages into a grab

Hope it helps :)

kATAlyst

Smash Apprentice
if dtilt is fast and can be followed by a bair or nair or retreating lasers, is there something bad about it that i dont know about?

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
if dtilt is fast and can be followed by a bair or nair or retreating lasers, is there something bad about it that i dont know about?
The range is trash, it's like the same range as your grab, maybe a little farther, and when your using Falco, wouldn't you want to rather use your grabs?

Edit: BTW thanks for the advice with the counter picks everyone who answered, I usually get Jungle Japes banned on me (because it's good for both Falco and DK) I should of mentioned that before, but what counter picks other than Jungle Japes are good against those King Dedede, Wario, and Zamus, sorry I forgot to mention that.

dtilt mother****ers, do you use it?
I use Dtilt when I am beating up on the punching bag. Apart from that I do not use it.

Is fair a good attack?

Thanks!
Pretty much everything xonar said. And I am not sure about phantasm for transportation. I typically don't use it unless trying to recover, mindgame after opponent has lost a stock, or getting some damage done while playing keep away. I feel that phantasm is faster to travel across the stage than normal running (not sure though), so perhaps an IAP to follow up across the stage if the opponenet gets sent flying from one side to the next.

The main problem with Dtilt is that it is over shadowed by Ftilt. Ftilt has better range and is not likely to miss should someone try to jump (I've had dtilt miss because they jumped at that time and I get hit instead). Plus, the start up frames and cooldown frames are pretty similar, but factoring in the frames needed to crouch it takes longer and ftilt is less punishable should you miss.

On a personal note I think that ftilt has more favorable knockback. I would rather send up horizontal rather diagonally up. Dtilt is probably a better combo starter at lower percents, but after that the appeal to me is less because an aerial follow up from a dtilt typically doesn't connect as the person just airdodges, counterattacks or just jumps to avoid the hit. With ftilt you can still keep them low enough trajectory that you have better stage control.

Edit: BTW thanks for the advice with the counter picks everyone who answered, I usually get Jungle Japes banned on me (because it's good for both Falco and DK) I should of mentioned that before, but what counter picks other than Jungle Japes are good against those King Dedede, Wario, and Zamus, sorry I forgot to mention that.
I think that FD is the best against them. No platforms for any of them to hide on. If you already won on FD before and thus cannot use it again maybe go with some other flat stage like smashville.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I think that FD is the best against them. No platforms for any of them to hide on. If you already won on FD before and thus cannot use it again maybe go with some other flat stage like smashville.
Okay, thanks for the help.

Just for some random question, but... what were falco's decent ledge options?

Jump, Attack, Roll, Get-up, Phantasm, Laser, Reflector are the only ones I can remember, but I thought their were more.

Ftilt > Dtilt
OBJECTION!!!

Laser > ftilt > dtilt > fair

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Wow... His options are worse than in my mind's eye xD

500 post.
His being Falco or me? You listed a lot of things so I just listed what else I thought was left. But you were kind of vague so a lot of things got bunched up. Like "attack" could be ledge attack or ledge drop > aerial. Phatasm could be phatasm to attack or phantasm back onto the ledge. N'aw mean? So I wasn't sure how specific you wanted things.

---

Out of curiosity, who or how many people are in the FBR?

Obvisoulsy falco = his

How ever specific you wanted to get. I'm noticing my options are getting really messed up anytime I try to recover.

And FBR xD

The Federal Back Room xD

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm pretty sure it stands for the F***ing Back Room.

Because nothing is exclusive enough unless emphasized by a curse word.

Anyone think we should merge the falco discussion with the Q&A thread? That seems to be where we have taken the general discussion to anyway.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Walljump opens up so much.
Including opponent run off > bair > stage spike.

But yeah, when opponents respawn I occasionally ledge grab > ledge drop > jump towards the stange > wall jump > regrab ledge to waste their invincibility frames. Works well on FD since you just glide along the bottom side of the stage when you do it. I've never tried this on like Yoshi's Island or something where you're exposed.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Hi. Long time Jigglypuff main but she wasn't cutting it so I switched to MK. Now he might get banned. So if he does, im thinking about maining Falco. He is my favorite Star Fox character "HEY EINSTEIN IM ON YOUR SIDE!" lmao and birds are my favorite animals.

So im wondering... I know he has a nice ground game but how is he in the air? I need a good aerial character. N-air is great I know that, back air can kill but how is the priority on his f-air? Thanks. :)

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Hi. Long time Jigglypuff main but she wasn't cutting it so I switched to MK. Now he might get banned. So if he does, im thinking about maining Falco. He is my favorite Star Fox character "HEY EINSTEIN IM ON YOUR SIDE!" lmao and birds are my favorite animals.

So im wondering... I know he has a nice ground game but how is he in the air? I need a good aerial character. N-air is great I know that, back air can kill but how is the priority on his f-air? Thanks. :)
Personally, he prefers the air. Not really. eating apples elaborate later

Emperor Time

Smash Lord
what is iap ?
&& is
there any
easier way to
short phantasm canceling

&& how do u
spin sliding ?
Discuss.

IAP=Instant Aerial Phantasm. Shorthopping before using the phantasm cuts the end lag.

For cancelling, all you can do is practice the timing :/

Spin sliding....................................Was that what Tommy G calls a foxtrot.....?
Uh, it's just like moving the control stick lightly from left to right. You'll be spinning while you go foward.

I feel inclined to make a "yodawgyo" joke.

Just wondering and wanted an opinion. Momentum Canceling horizontal knockback with falco is best done with a bair > jump. But by losing the jump you make Falco's recovery options really limited as you can no longer adjust yourself like you could if you did have your 2nd jump back.

So I want to know do you think it's better to use that 2nd jump for the horizontal knockback or to just use the aerial and skip the jump allowing you that chance to have an easier time to recover back onto the stage?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Sigh, so I've been having some trouble as I moved on with falco, and I'd love some help on it.

First of all, the spike after chaingrab goes wrong most of the time because I'm to late with the spike, how can I get the spike earlier? Is there some kind of timing on it that I don't know? I thought about buffering the jump, but I don't know the buffer frames of downthrow.

Second, boost pivot grab, normally to boost pivot grab I dash, back on smash stick, back on analog and Z, but often I get the timing wrong and do a normal pivot, could I change the input to get a higher success rate? Also, is the timing on a boost pivot grab in chaingrab anything out of a normal grab?

Third, DACUS/boost smash, I hear people use up+Z for the upsmash (meaning z is set to attack), is there any other input that makes it easier? I use A to dash attack and smash upsmash, works 30% of the time, but I'd like a higher success rate, any help on that? and whats the difference in input between a dacus (with dash attack hit) and boost smash (sliding upsmash)?

Last but not least, some matchup advice against D3, I usually get the damage racking right, and finishing happens eventually, but when D3 gets me off stage he gimps me with his long-ranged bair, which this d3 manages the hit with the tip and use to intercept air dodges, making me unable to retaliate, and D3 gets me offstage with his bthrow and grab range enough.

Pfew, my wall of text for today ^_^

Sigh, so I've been having some trouble as I moved on with falco, and I'd love some help on it.

First of all, the spike after chaingrab goes wrong most of the time because I'm to late with the spike, how can I get the spike earlier? Is there some kind of timing on it that I don't know? I thought about buffering the jump, but I don't know the buffer frames of downthrow.

Second, boost pivot grab, normally to boost pivot grab I dash, back on smash stick, back on analog and Z, but often I get the timing wrong and do a normal pivot, could I change the input to get a higher success rate? Also, is the timing on a boost pivot grab in chaingrab anything out of a normal grab?

Third, DACUS/boost smash, I hear people use up+Z for the upsmash (meaning z is set to attack), is there any other input that makes it easier? I use A to dash attack and smash upsmash, works 30% of the time, but I'd like a higher success rate, any help on that? and whats the difference in input between a dacus (with dash attack hit) and boost smash (sliding upsmash)?

Last but not least, some matchup advice against D3, I usually get the damage racking right, and finishing happens eventually, but when D3 gets me off stage he gimps me with his long-ranged bair, which this d3 manages the hit with the tip and use to intercept air dodges, making me unable to retaliate, and D3 gets me offstage with his bthrow and grab range enough.

Pfew, my wall of text for today ^_^
My opinion would be it’s your dash. You always have to dash before SHing a Dair. Also, if you are trying it at the edge then you might not be getting enough room to jump. Who are you trying the spike on? Some can just escape because they can only be Daired before the max CG percent like fox. He cannot be CGed to 40% then spiked, FFs too quickly.

Not sure for the BPG except to just practice. I do however know a possible solution to the Boost Smash. I cannot get the Boost Smash to work unless I use down on the c-stick and Z. But the difference is how I push the control stick. Typically if you push directly left or right on it you’ll dash. But you can also dash if you pus h the control stick into the upper-left or upper-right. And the good thing about this is that you can hold the control stick in that position so that when you input Down on c-stick to Z you’ll still do the upsmash. This works because the game will recognize the upper-left or upper-right input as “up” on the control stick. So all you have to worry about is the timing of the attack.

Upper-Left/Upper-Right on control stick to dash (and hold) > Down on c-stick > Z

Top Bottom