• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Denzi

Smash Master
Although that's the way that I've heard a lot of Falco's do it (Retreating lasers), I kinda taught myself waaaay back, and I couldn't work that out, lol.

I do my retreating SHDL by running back like a half step and then RARing the lasers. It works for me, and my laser game is pretty good.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Although that's the way that I've heard a lot of Falco's do it (Retreating lasers), I kinda taught myself waaaay back, and I couldn't work that out, lol.

I do my retreating SHDL by running back like a half step and then RARing the lasers. It works for me, and my laser game is pretty good.
thats how i do it too, I never wavebounce my lasers, because it seems so minimal. But Sethlon said he used it back when he mained falco, so it must be occasionally useful.

King Horus

Smash Rookie
yeah i can do everything in the video EXCEPT pivot boosting, i don't understand it at all. Dash> Dash attack> reverse> grab?

just seems like a regular pivot gran when i try :/

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Horus, if it looks like a regular pivot grab, then you're pressing the grab button too fast and it's cancelling out your dash attack.

Try to delay your grab by a little bit. If just your dash attack comes out, then you're pressing it too late. Just mess around with the timing, and eventually it'll be second nature.

As for wavebouncing, the only thing I've found it useful for is to quickly switch from a retreat to an approach. And even then I hate approaching with SHDL.

Just wondering. The whole idea of falco's playstyle in short is summarized by this pretty much?

-Lasers/Reflector to camp and funnel people into close combat
-Jabs, SH aerials and tilts to exchange blows to rack up damage
-Follow up knockback with lasers and aerials to get them offstage
-Edgeguard with Aerials and lasers
-KO with lasers to smashes or punish mistake with a smash.
-CG any mistakes at early percents.
-Phantasm to reset/add damage.

Vlade

Social Outcast
IMO it's 55:45 ROB's favour. ROB can gimp HARD. Otherwise you have to play a bit gayer than usual since ROB is pretty poor at approaching falco imo (obviously some people will disagree with that statement).

Question: I don't believe it! Does it really increase your boost smash distance by setting L or R to attack?

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
IMO it's 55:45 ROB's favour. ROB can gimp HARD. Otherwise you have to play a bit gayer than usual since ROB is pretty poor at approaching falco imo (obviously some people will disagree with that statement).

Question: I don't believe it! Does it really increase your boost smash distance by setting L or R to attack?
If I do it perfectly, I can travel slightly less than 1/2 of FD with L as attack.

Just wondering, which is a better method of hitting someone who is trying to hang on the ledge, (namely MK). I've seen the ftilt used, but doesn't the fsmash have more range on it? And we do know it will hit MK hanging on the ledge.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Just wondering, which is a better method of hitting someone who is trying to hang on the ledge, (namely MK). I've seen the ftilt used, but doesn't the fsmash have more range on it? And we do know it will hit MK hanging on the ledge.
Fsmash can be seen from a mile away so you're probably not going to hit with it.

So can just walking up to the ledge and just randomly hitting the angled ftilt. I've seen SK92 or sethlon do that a few times in there matches against someone hanging on the ledge. That is way more obvious.

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
so i dont play falco much, and dont go on these boards, but i felt i had to when i was playing my friends yoshi...

basically i ledge attacked (low % one) then immediatly started spamming lazer, the ledge attacked knocked them down, and it worked kindof like a jab lock.

i know you know about using lazer to jab lock, but i didnt find the ledge attack -> lazer combo anywhere sooo yeah

oh, and i did some testing and it doesnt work on a few smaller chars... and fox >.> so if you didnt know about this there it is

Denzi

Smash Master
so i dont play falco much, and dont go on these boards, but i felt i had to when i was playing my friends yoshi...

basically i ledge attacked (low % one) then immediatly started spamming lazer, the ledge attacked knocked them down, and it worked kindof like a jab lock.

i know you know about using lazer to jab lock, but i didnt find the ledge attack -> lazer combo anywhere sooo yeah

oh, and i did some testing and it doesnt work on a few smaller chars... and fox >.> so if you didnt know about this there it is
Yeah, we knew. It works from 0%, but it's not actually guaranteed on any character.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
How can I properly use Falco spike? Does it need to hit at the start or connect in the best hitbox?

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
But Sethlon said he used it back when he mained falco, so it must be occasionally useful.
lol nice logic

sethlon likes to play flashy, as a lot of falcos also do.

wavebounce lasers are pretty useless, b reversal lasers are the same thing except you dont get that momentum boost which falco doesnt even need since he likes to stay away from his opponent in most cases.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Can you use Wavebounce Lasers in anyway to recover?

I can only think Mindgames on platforms where you walk off to the left and bounce towards the right, ect.

But you can you use it to change momentum?

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Having lag off screen isn't so bad as opposed to losing a stock.

It's obviously a better option to attempt a return to the stage than to just die.
I can't test it since my Wii just recently broke.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Can you use Wavebounce Lasers in anyway to recover?

But you can you use it to change momentum?
I was playing with this for a few minutes this afternoon. Lasers can, to an extent, be used to recover, but it's situational. You have to get out of your tumble first, which afterword, you may or may not have enough momentum or be far enough from the stage to even bother using it.

That being said, it's so sexy when you do manage to do it. You get, more or less, the distance from the short-canceled (what's the proper nomenclature for that?) phantasm.

Also, bringing RJCUSs back up from a few pages ago, I noticed that, on some of the taller characters, you can get some horizontal knockback on it. Is this worth it, of would the "punch" hitbox on the Bair be better in most situations?

Denzi

Smash Master
Also, bringing RJCUSs back up from a few pages ago, I noticed that, on some of the taller characters, you can get some horizontal knockback on it. Is this worth it, of would the "punch" hitbox on the Bair be better in most situations?

If you have enough time to RJC an Usmash, why not just RAR a Bair? That'd be better in terms of both speed and power.

Unless your Bair is extremely stale. Bair is like the one aerial I over use the most, so I find my Bair has pretty much no killing power. Or maybe I am not connecting the strong hit. Either way, free damage.

---------------

I had been looking at japanese vids of people using falco and came across this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEm-rQHRtvQ

After watching that I noticed that the falco in that video used the reflector a lot. I know recently we have been telling people not to use the laser except for extremely occasionally and mostly for just reflecting projectiles. Actually, avoid using at all pretty much except projectiles. But I started thinking that the way that falco used the projectile was SHed at times and thought from there how come I never see any other falco in the US doing that?

I mean, SH Shine seems to be superior than standing Shine so how come we never really apply it to that?

Looking at the application there shouldn't be any difference in lag between standing and SHing when done correctly. And since we are airborn it gives up mobility to move backwards to space should the shine have been baited for some reason.

I know the main reason to avoid SHing when trying to use it as an attack as you can simply miss hitting the target if they are grounded, but this would mostly be against projectiles. Although, it could be a great use against Wario who typically is all aerial. But I don't know. I'm just speculating the ideas of maybe bring around some uses for shine. Range, high priority, just seems the pefect move to abuse if we found the right areas for it.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
That video is oooold. I remember talking about that video in like... November.

Back then North American players did use reflector that much. The problem with reflector is that, even if you do it retreating, it's not safe on block and alot of the time isn't even safe if it hits. Characters like MK can get hit in the face with it and still have enough time to punish with a running grab.

Back in October I remember some people referring to Falco's reflector as the ultimate spacing tool. When really, it's like a really laggy Zair, when the entire attraction of Zairs is that they're lagless.

I know about the hitting with it. I simply mean for hitting back with projectiles. Using as an attack is not good. Using SHing a shine against a projectile just seems greater than standing shine.

For projectile reflecting use only, I see no cons for SHing a shine, only pros.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Oooohhhh, I get you.

I haven't really given it much thought, but I reckon that what you gain (aerial mobility) from it wouldn't really balance out what you lose (Reflector would take 7 frames longer to come out.)

It might be worth looking into, as one of those slight change, nothing major things.

Does it really take 7 frames longer? I would think that it would be simaltanious on the frame of jumping and Shine. But I do not know.

SSBLawl

Smash Rookie
I figured some other Falco goers may be interested in this who have not quite learned/got this down, or maybe not. But, I had a question/concern with the distance of the Boost Smash tech.

How exactly do you get the boost smash to go a far distance as seen here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipgEXVecAVI):
In the first few seconds of the clip he goes a very great distance along the stage. I can only achieve shorter distances and I have been trying as slightly different timings as much as possible.

In order to achieve what I do I follow the guide (The Din Peregrine one) and use the Forward -> Dash ->Down C Stick ->Up + Z method. I know the tutorial says it's about the speed between the Dash and Up Smash but (without arrogance) feel I have pretty quick fingers and I still can't quite achieve this. Is there something I am missing?

Can anyone give me an inside tip or any help in order to achieve a long distance Boost Smash as shown above?

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Falco's jumping animation takes 7 frames (or is it 6?), so it would take that many frames longer for the reflect box to come out, which could either be bad or irrelevant, but never good.

That's why IAP actually has a longer start-up than normal Phantasm, because he needs to jump first.

SSBLawl

Smash Rookie
You have to set a button to attack and set use it in place of Z. Just set L to attack and you'll be able to do it.

Btw, the url is malformed.
Set L as a simple attack, so then what would the button formation be exactly with this? Sorry about the URL, didn't check it. It's the one from the Boost Smash section of the Din guide on sticky.

I think I understand but not fully sure.

EDIT:

So, Forward > Dash > Down C > UP + L instead of Z?

Sorry if I am butchering your help :-X

kATAlyst

Smash Apprentice
im going to a school noobfest tourney, and due to some strange regulations its 2stocks and 3 min. if i use falco should i plank or play aggresively?

on a side note, is there an easy way to gataling instead of full length dacus? my fingers move too fast

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
honestly, with respect to most of falco's other techs, gatling is pretty slow. its two seperate movents, while boost smashing, iap, SHDL buffered dair(<- this part), RBPG, etc. are essentially one fluid movement of the fingers.

Denzi

Smash Master
honestly, with respect to most of falco's other techs, gatling is pretty slow. its two seperate movents, while boost smashing, iap, SHDL buffered dair(<- this part), RBPG, etc. are essentially one fluid movement of the fingers.
So? It is still quite a good move. Little ending lag, good damage racker, punishes powershielders, etc. It's a good thing to use, so use it.

Emperor Time

Smash Lord
Set L as a simple attack, so then what would the button formation be exactly with this? Sorry about the URL, didn't check it. It's the one from the Boost Smash section of the Din guide on sticky.

I think I understand but not fully sure.

EDIT:

So, Forward > Dash > Down C > UP + L instead of Z?

Sorry if I am butchering your help :-X

Yeah, that's right. And don't worry...it's a Q&A thread :p

Top Bottom