• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Denzi

Smash Master
Just a thought, should i turn my c-stick to b-stick to make shining easier? I always have a hard time shining after dropping off ledge then comming up with shine. So i was wondering would it be worth the trade to get the shine much easier and faster or quick uncharged smashes? Thank you.
Don't do it. C stick is sooo much better when it can be used for SDI, well spaced/retreating aerials, quick smashes, etc. You also need it set to smash to perform a Boost Smash.

If you're having difficulty pressing the B button immediately after your jump, I'd suggest changing either the jump button or the shield button that you don't use (because you do have two of each) to Special.

Hope that helps.

Zanthos25

Smash Cadet
If someone can answer me, I'm curious if Grab releases have been tested throughly with Falco. Specifically...

1)Grab release to Fair on the cast at 50%+ damage

2)Grab released to F-Smash. Unlikely but...

3)Grab release to Shine. Not very advantageous doing this if it works, but if it's off the edge who knows? Past chaingrab percent of course.

4)Grab release to U-Smash or Boost upsmash. This probably doesn't work.

Have we concluded that grab release with Falco is ineffective to his metagame? Forgive my ignorance if this has already reached a conclusion. Just curious about this. Has this been tested with the entire cast and proven ineffective?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Grab release to fair is a bad idea overall because you cant follow it up (33 frames landing lag), so id say change it to nair ;P

for the question, Ive got some troubles with SHDL lately, havent played a while and i cant do it.
ive practiced up to 2 hours now and i still cant do it, when i do get into the feel i just have to concentrate on timing to much to be able to apply it efficiently.
any tips?

Zanthos25

Smash Cadet
Grab release to fair is a bad idea overall because you cant follow it up (33 frames landing lag), so id say change it to nair ;P
Well, does grab release to F-air work at all? If you use it in the middle of the stage you will be hit with landing lag, yes. However, if it is used at the edge of the stage, perhaps you can grab release, F-air the opponent and phantasm back to the stage. That is, if the F-air does indeed connect.

Keep in mind this would be in the rare situation that you grab your opponent facing toward the blastzone (end of the stage) and he has over 50% damage (past chaingrab percent).

Not sure of the KO power of Fair but, since most Falco's keep it fresh (don't use it in the match at all) it could pull off some surprise KO's.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
falcos keep it fresh because of the landing lag, in the air bair punching is faster and stronger and in short hopped dairs and nairs are better combo setups

fair is just sucky.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Falco does not release anybody to the air on normal ground.
ground releases provide 10 frame advantage on ness and lucas, and 10 frame disadvantage on DK

I brought this up a while ago so I have some very situational data
You can release some characters to the air on steep enough slopes (stairs of Delfino, CS pt1/3, fully tilted lylat)
from this air release you can boost smash MK if timed well and if your boost smash goes far enough.
all characters have a different air release flight path, so idk about anybody else
except i think it was discussed you get free anything (except regrab) on air released wario.

when grabbing somebody at the edge of the stage, if you are not pummeling them they will release to the air, but they go too far to follow up with anything (except maybe SH shine), this excludes wario who will be released close enough to do ?anything? to.

also grab releases are % independent, they will always be the same regardless of what percent they are at

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I don't believe all characters get grab released the same way (different heights and "stun"). Also, there's two types of breaks: into the air and into the ground, so that would affect what you would do afterwards. Following up a Dthrow is probably the most consistent option you have and it's been thoroughly tested what works/doesn't work. Dthrow to: jab, laserlock, DACUS, Dair, chaingrab and probably a lot more things we haven't figured out are really reliable.

That's not to say that the grab release is useless or whatever. It'll just require a lot more testing than what the Q&A thread can provide to figure out what's a viable follow up for which character. It doesn't even need to be character based testing. Finding something that's useful on one/any character would be good to know.

From the list you provided:

Fair tools pretty uselesss since it's weak, has little knockback, and a laggy ending.
Fsmash would depend on a lot of things I think.
Shine doesn't really have enough knock to push them off anything.
I thought the Boost Smash would be the most reliable ending actully =/

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
glad that issue is solved, to add another question:
what are the advantages of fthrow over dthrow?
and just to repeat :lick:

for the question, Ive got some troubles with SHDL lately, havent played a while and i cant do it.
ive practiced up to 2 hours now and i still cant do it, when i do get into the feel i just have to concentrate on timing to much to be able to apply it efficiently.
any tips?

Loops

Smash Apprentice
Help with Icce climbers CG?I get wrecked when i verse my friends Ice Climbers, basically he grabs me once and its either high percent damage or i lose a stock. I used marth, and MK has my CP for Ice Climbers but its ridiculous since he can still Chain grab them and if i make a mistake once in spacing, it can lead to his CG spike combo or atleast get me to a high percent then end off with a strong smash.When i use falco i can only use lasers and phantasm basically without getting punished right away. I need alot of hlep on this match up please help.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
i watched laser storm, but its not what i was looking for, it was just some falco jumping and doing lasers while unreadable red text flies across the screen.

isnt there a video where somebody shows the timing (in slow motion prefferably) and where i can hear the button sounds so i have an idea of the rythm?

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Hey falcos iv decided im gonna start to pick up your character what threads are worth looking at iv read all stickies anything i should look at thx ',; )

faceholerope

Smash Cadet
i watched laser storm, but its not what i was looking for, it was just some falco jumping and doing lasers while unreadable red text flies across the screen.

isnt there a video where somebody shows the timing (in slow motion prefferably) and where i can hear the button sounds so i have an idea of the rythm?
it would be much easier for you to just practice the timing yourself. you won't get it perfect the first time obviously but it will help much more than someone trying to show you the exact timing.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Pictochat is actually my favorite stage, yes falco does well.

spikes make a great finisher for chaingrab, just RBPG and throw him into the spikes
the plant is the exact same
the fire is very misleading, dont use it cause the damage is horrible, most people try to abuse the fire but just dont
the diagnol stripes across the stage are in falcos advantage if used well, especially if you're on the stripe as you'll make easier upward kills, and approaching a character below is easy cause of short hop dair
the domino like stripes are very cool for falco as you can walljump bair people very nicely here
the trampolines are great if you get in first, as if they follow you can outprioritize them with your high priority dair, remember to not make this to repetetive
the house with animal is quite neutral, shouldnt be much of a deal, you can attack from below with uptilts/upsmashes, and force opponents off with short hopped shines

hope that answered your question.

now for mine, when do you buffer actions when spiking after a chaingrab? thanks in advance :)

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
I know Damage + Knockback is different for angled tilts.

But I THINK..:
I'm sure lower ones do less, but have a more desirable knock back. While the up ones do the same with less knockback. Not sure though.

From what I've done. Damage is the same. Knockback is equally the same. Range is equally the same as well. The only difference that is pretty obvious is you just send the hitbox out in a different area. high, middle or low. The other difference I might see is a slight, slight variation in the angle of knockback. low seems to keep them lower and high hits them up high. Although, I did that in training against ness.

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
I'm a brazilian smasher and we're discussing pictochat to counterpick, but some players are talking that falco is broken there, I'm falco player but usually I just use FD, Jungle Japes ou Yoshi's Island (Melee) to counterpick, so I need to know if falco is broken in pictochat and if he is I need to know why

faceholerope

Smash Cadet
Pictochat is actually my favorite stage, yes falco does well.

spikes make a great finisher for chaingrab, just RBPG and throw him into the spikes
the plant is the exact same
the fire is very misleading, dont use it cause the damage is horrible, most people try to abuse the fire but just dont
the diagnol stripes across the stage are in falcos advantage if used well, especially if you're on the stripe as you'll make easier upward kills, and approaching a character below is easy cause of short hop dair
the domino like stripes are very cool for falco as you can walljump bair people very nicely here
the trampolines are great if you get in first, as if they follow you can outprioritize them with your high priority dair, remember to not make this to repetetive
the house with animal is quite neutral, shouldnt be much of a deal, you can attack from below with uptilts/upsmashes, and force opponents off with short hopped shines

hope that answered your question.

now for mine, when do you buffer actions when spiking after a chaingrab? thanks in advance :)
that should help.

wangston

Smash Lord
We should have a Falco tournament result threads. I want to know how other falcos are doing in tournaments.

Have the TO constantly update the first post with peoples results. I wouldn't have to be more than the amount of people and the placing, that would be enough info.

Denzi

Smash Master
I was under the impression we already had one of those it just became inactive.

You would be correct. Most of the reason for this is that Blad01 seems to be much less active now, and it was his thread. It might be a good idea for someone who's here more often to just remake it.

wangston

Smash Lord
I might tackle this, I'm active on smashboards just not extremely active on the falco boards, they aren't that active anyways.

I'm trying to think how I want to organize it. The sonic boards have it by months, ness people just have it. I think I will organize it by name and then ascending order in months. It will look something like the the falco video thread but with tournament results.

also i'm debating whether or not to use 2009 results only or just use everything.

Top Bottom