• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Hey guys you know what that thread needs ? It needs an OP that has :
-how to DACUS/BDACUS
-how to boost grab/BPG
-how to IAP/phantasm cancel (someone find that one post that perfectly explains everything about phantasm, I saw it there a few months ago I swear)
-the links to the CG, the frame data and the hitbox threads
-what to do with jab cancels
-maybe basics of zoning with lasers and phantasm

I haven't been here in month and it's still the same questions that come back all the time.

Hey guys you know what that thread needs ? It needs an OP that has :
*'stuff'*
I haven't been here in month and it's still the same questions that come back all the time.
Answering these questions is what keeps the little activity we have left lol
What effective KO setups does Falco have? I always have to make a read with up smash to KO my opponent. Or build up damage until up tilt and back air KO easily.
Nothing can be done about that.

Dthrow is the best set-up he has for Usmash. Low to the ground, but not low enough the opponent can quickly get to the ground. Completely ruined by any DI straight up.

The rest comes with baiting or perhaps applying pressure. Player dependent, but often times pretty reliable. This is what really gets you kills with Falco are his baits.

Someone else can mention the laser stuff.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Since this is a question.

Xeylode, how did you come up with your name?

I'll go and make up a guess that its an acronym.

Deaths' Evil Residential (insert 6 letter word, begins with w)
So apparently we can tech the areas with the capsules on brinstar.

Calvonta "Calvo" parker

Smash Apprentice
AiB

On AiB, my Falco is really smart I have BIG problems playing Falco on WiFi. Mainly of corse, its the constant stream of lag spikes. Is there a certain way to play Falco on wifi?

Oh, btw my AiB account name is *pappleparker

Does Falco have any "true" combos?
If you tried really hard to find a way out of anything you might call a combo, you probably would. SDI makes many things impossible, but only TAS legitimately does anything like that.
The only combos that come to mind are the chaingrab and laserlock. If you want your guaranteed combos go for Melee or Smash64.

I suppose you could include slip mechanics as a combo or tech chasing in those rare situations.
Because I couldn't stand being called anything but Drew at my first tournament.
But now, your name shall be Truth.
On AiB, my Falco is really smart I have BIG problems playing Falco on WiFi. Mainly of corse, its the constant stream of lag spikes. Is there a certain way to play Falco on wifi?
First time I have ever seen a question for Wifi lol
You just abuse whatever it is your opponent cannot beat consistently.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Yes, any platform will allow you to do this. Although Halberd's platform is higher than BF, so some characters will be able to recover in time.

Lion1

Smash Rookie
You input direction and the first c-stick up at the same time, then you let the Control Stick return to neutral before inputting the second c-stick up.
YES! This is what I was looking for! I kept dashing first and THEN inputting the up c-stick. Thank you so much :D :D :D

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
Does anyone know the NTSC no tripping code?
I took a look at codegecko but I couldn't find it.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
Well, about the combo part... you can actually combo with a fast-falled dair > dsmash/uair on most characters at around 30% and it will be a true-combo... Just sayin

I assume you mean you Dair someone when they are grounded and they don't lift off the ground at all.

Nair -> Utilt can be SDIed out of. If you lucky, you might be able to automatic smash DI out with the control stick if you caught on the very edge of the moves. But other than that, I believe there is a slight advantage for Nair/Utilt to work. I'd have to find the post I did on landing Nair before the 4th hit.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Well, about the combo part... you can actually combo with a fast-falled dair > dsmash/uair on most characters at around 30% and it will be a true-combo... Just sayin
They can shield our Jab ( Frame 2 ) if they don't pop up from the ground.
Then they can Shield our Dsmash ( Frame 8 ) if they don't pop up.

Nair -> U-Tilt works well, it's difficult to react to when hit by it.
Also, if you catch them and it drags them up, I do believe you have a small advantage over them.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
What I'm about to ask isn't specific to only Falco, but I'd like to know what Falco players think of this:

If you are going to play a dittos match with any character in tournament, what is your strategy for stage bans/selection? I feel like when I play against another Falco in a meaningful match I don't know where to take them. Do you want to take them to a fair stage for the ditto or something that's bad for your character that you know how to better play on than your opponent?

At the last several tournaments I went to I've been playing against quite a few other Falco players in pools etc. I keep losing the ditto because I still haven't learned how to play it yet and I think my stage picks could have a good amount to do with it. What do you guys normally do?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Your stage picks aren't a big deal. For those on the outside, I'm one of the Falcos he's talking about. I've said this to you before, but I feel like mentioning it here could only be beneficial.

In the Falco ditto, it doesn't matter if I play you or Kismet, I don't want to deal with being chain grabbed. With players I feel comfortable against, I don't want to put myself into a position where I could choke it away. With players I'm not comfortable against, I don't want to be boxing for a stock against someone who I think is better than me.

That being said, I strike to the jankiest stage you'll let me. Castle Siege, Lylat Cruise, or YI. Not PS1. I'll take BF above that for the platforms. I'll CP you to Brinstar or RCruise/PS2 if you ban it.

I find myself comfortable on janky stages and if a stage isn't good for Falco, then it isn't good for you either, but at least I'm comfortable on it. Keep in mind your opponent's secondaries when doing this though. Impaling yourself on a pocket MK or Wario could be painful.

As far as approaching the ditto, it's a battle of fundamentals. Space better. Make better decisions. Know when your opponent wants a kill. Just play your game and play it better than him. Knowing Falco's range from your perspective is actually a lot different from knowing it from an opponent.

I see it as a gamble.

I do not always trust in my skill for winning a match or I do not always trust some random elements and would rather rely on attempting to win with little influence from outside factors.

So, going back to neutrals is always my first thought to really get down to the "just me and my opponent". However, if it really rather one sided against me, I'll choose something weird like Delfino or Frigate. Brinstar is my personal ban because I do not attempt well to the stage at all.

About the dittos in general, try figuring out what troubles you most often. For me, I figured out it was the risk of the CG -> spike that always ruined my chances to win the match. I've gone completely platform camper until they damage me over 35% and then play the match-up rather normally.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Your stage picks aren't a big deal. For those on the outside, I'm one of the Falcos he's talking about. I've said this to you before, but I feel like mentioning it here could only be beneficial.
Well it's not just you because it seems like I've already played dittos against all the Falco players in the area in tournament, but the matchup drives me nuts because I feel like I shouldn't lose a ditto at every tournament. I'll figure out how to play the matchup in due time though.

I find it interesting though that you would want to take somebody to Brinstar as Falco.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Learning to DI and tech the Dair if you do get Chaingrabbed is essential for this MU and every Falco should know how to do it anyway. You never know when someone will force you to the ditto. Do not neglect the little details.

Outside of the first phase where both Falco's are trying to get the grab, the rest is fundamentals. Spacing, safe laser and Phantasm play etc. And of course reads.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Well it's not just you because it seems like I've already played dittos against all the Falco players in the area in tournament, but the matchup drives me nuts because I feel like I shouldn't lose a ditto at every tournament. I'll figure out how to play the matchup in due time though.

I find it interesting though that you would want to take somebody to Brinstar as Falco.
I have never lost on BStar as Falco as far as I can remember.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I think people consider stages bad because people say they're bad.

If you tried and learned the stage it could make matchups a LOT easier...making your ban more significant.

ZTD | TECHnology

Coming from a URC member (aka someone who listens to people ***** about stages) , like 80% of people who say a stage is bad either:

1. Do not know the stage. Playing on it a few times during tournament doesn't count ad knowing it.

2. Know their character is hindered there and is unable to keep character bias out of their argument.

3. Aren't very smart to begin with.

Sometimes...more than one of these hold true for the same person.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
What I'm about to ask isn't specific to only Falco, but I'd like to know what Falco players think of this:

If you are going to play a dittos match with any character in tournament, what is your strategy for stage bans/selection? I feel like when I play against another Falco in a meaningful match I don't know where to take them. Do you want to take them to a fair stage for the ditto or something that's bad for your character that you know how to better play on than your opponent?

At the last several tournaments I went to I've been playing against quite a few other Falco players in pools etc. I keep losing the ditto because I still haven't learned how to play it yet and I think my stage picks could have a good amount to do with it. What do you guys normally do?
if you are playing a ditto stages are completely irrelevant.

the only thing you can really do is look at why you lost, maybe ask your opponent what your falco could do better (I do this even when i win).

You really just got own up to the fact that sometimes you get outplayed, and you can't get mad or upset. You just have to accept your opponent was better than you and learn as much as you can from your loss.

If you look at it in another way, stages can make all the difference. I play on neutrals all the time. Whenever I play on lylat, ps1, frigate, I attempt to get off the ledge with lasers because it easily works on FD, BF, and SV. However, the lip on the former stages catches my 2nd jump and often die trying to UpB.

For a sudden moment, I forgot this is not SV/FD/BF and that ledge option is not available to me. Instant lose of a stock due to a one time lull in thinking. You can't affect the falco ditto itself, only the player controlling him.

@TC: So, what often makes good points in stage discussion? I only ever focus on the obvious things because they often make the biggest difference. Lylat has lower platforms than SV, you can more easily cover those platforms with Usmash attempts or aerials and push people off them focusing them into slip edge mechanics.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
sometimes I think the most important thing about a stage is the hieght of its platforms.

And then I kill myself on PS1 when i forget about how that ledge hates side b's *sigh

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
It all comes down to stage knowledge.
If you know a stage really well, you'll do fine on it no problem.

However, if you don't know a stage at all, or well enough, you'll do bad on it, then consider it to be a bad stage.

If you and your opponent are evenly matched, and you go to a stage that you know and he doesn't.
Odds are going to be in your favour.

Character vs Character.
Player vs Player.
Player vs Character.
Stage vs Player.

The four Mu's of Brawl!

ZTD | TECHnology

@TC: So, what often makes good points in stage discussion? I only ever focus on the obvious things because they often make the biggest difference. Lylat has lower platforms than SV, you can more easily cover those platforms with Usmash attempts or aerials and push people off them focusing them into slip edge mechanics.
Well its just mainly demonstrating consistency and impartiality in your arguments. Focus on all of the big as well as small details on the stage and how they can affect a specific scenario . I just don't wanna hear: "RC is bad..
this one time I played on it...etc" if you get what I'm saying.

Its funny because there is the tendency to want to read those short ones that are obviously not worth it, but one never wishes to read the longer ones.

Here's a good question for everyone.

What goes through your mind when you playing matches? Try to detail specific moments if you can.
For myself, it depends on my mood and stuff. Often times, I do not think of anything except simply react and do stuff from memory.

-At times, I'll focus on a few basic things like "avoid grab at all costs. So roll away more, phantasm away, dash away, get to platforms, etc."
-Or from time to time I'll think, "I noticed him rolling a ton, I'll ignore everything else really and focus on spacing rolls and predict when he will roll".
-"Alright, I got a grab and it's wario, listen for button mashing 1) relative silence = pummel more than necessary than throw 2) mashing = wait and see for air release"
-"I've been getting off the ledge far too much with sideB, mix it up, jump, laser, airdodge, something"

Random stuff like that.

ZTD | TECHnology

Things I commonly ask myself while playing Falco:

What is my opponent doing after I down throw him?
He got through my camping too easily. I must have a pattern...what is it?
What does my opponent try to do in reaction to my Phantasm?
What is a safe distance to short hop from?
I'm getting hit too much out of Phantasm...there must be telltale signs of when I'm going to use it...what are they?
What does my opponent do when I'm in boxing range?
When I chase my opponent in the air what does he do? Can I trap him with an aerial based off his reaction?
How can I get the grab safely?
The reason I like this thought process is because of how Falco operates. He is a creature of opportunity and can usually put himself at a really advantageous position just by a few simple means (camping from long range, down throw...etc) Because of this, if you ask these questions and more like them during the match you'll be more adept to capitalizing when those opportunities arise.

Top Bottom