• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
lol I feel quite silly for having not been told that sooner. I always thought people believed you had to crouch in order to do any jab cancel stuff which is just silly. All tilts and smashes will activate on the IASA frame and later. Just time it and you can do it quickly. Yea, falco's jab2 activation window lasts until frame 29 lol I guess crouch is really only necessary for jab1 repeats. Maybe if I played Ike I would have noticed that sooner.
I was going to say if you use Ike/Mario/ZSS/Snake you'd have known by now.
Ike - combo with first 2 hits
Mario/ZSS/Snake - first 2 hits can be used over and over against shield to guarantee(???) not getting shield grabbed

There must be more characters (Lucas, Ness) but their uses are generally on shield as well.

Does jab>grab have better frame advantage (or less worse frame disadvantage) than jab>jab>grab?
Oh and Luxigo. In my experience with Falco I'm pretty sure jab1 > grab is more effective, but therefore overused. People adapt to it and destroy you if you do it more than once. Jab1&2 is a mixup, but it seems to have the same frame disadvantage as Jab1 > grab. The fact that they're both frame disadvantages should mean that it's only safe as a mixup and not as what you should be going for.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If I remember well Xey's post about it jab2 cancels are safer than jab1, but both jab1 and jab2 > grab are unsafe.
Jab(>jab)>shield is the only thing safe afaik.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Agreed. Teluo told it the way it is. Jab2 to grab is undoable, and Jab1 to grab is a baddie tactic that may work like once or as a mixup.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Once or twice? Any time you catch them jumping where they think they're going to be somewhere else, grab is not a bad option in addition to use as a mix-up when you have them looking for attacks to shield. Not the go-to option, but definitely useful more than "once or twice."

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Yes I was isolating the part of what you said that made no sense. I was doing this to make me asking "what?" a more answerable question. Are you trolling?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If your saying jab1 to grab isn't amazing then you must have played against ppl with super godlike SDI and reaction times.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Mario/ZSS/Snake - first 2 hits can be used over and over against shield to guarantee(???) not getting shield grabbed

Oh and Luxingo. In my experience with Falco I'm pretty sure jab1 > grab is more effective, but therefore overused. People adapt to it and destroy you if you do it more than once. Jab1&2 is a mixup, but it seems to have the same frame disadvantage as Jab1 > grab. The fact that they're both frame disadvantages should mean that it's only safe as a mixup and not as what you should be going for.
Can repeated jabs for falco be used to "guarantee(???)" not getting shield grabbed as well?

Jab1>grab is used so much because it's amazing. Whenever I use it, I get the grab more than 90% of the time. When I don't, I still rarely get punished for it.

Isn't almost everything in brawl a frame disadvantage? According to your underlined sentence then, almost everything is only safe as a mixup and not as what you'd go for. Not sure about what you mean by "what you should be going for" as well.

The only frame advantage that falco has (and one of the few in brawl altogether, iirc) is silent laser to grab.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Can repeated jabs for falco be used to "guarantee(???)" not getting shield grabbed as well?

Jab1>grab is used so much because it's amazing. Whenever I use it, I get the grab more than 90% of the time. When I don't, I still rarely get punished for it.

Isn't almost everything in brawl a frame disadvantage? According to your underlined sentence then, almost everything is only safe as a mixup and not as what you'd go for. Not sure about what you mean by "what you should be going for" as well.

The only frame advantage that falco has (and one of the few in brawl altogether, iirc) is silent laser to grab.
Well I mean in that it's an attack that you do on frame disadvantage and the opponent has an obvious reaction (spotdodge, punish). Of course a lot of the game is avoiding frame disadvantages but this is done by avoiding being punishable at the same time. Standing in front of the opponent and giving yourself a frame disadvantage is clearly punishable.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Well I mean in that it's an attack that you do on frame disadvantage and the opponent has an obvious reaction (spotdodge, punish). Of course a lot of the game is avoiding frame disadvantages but this is done by avoiding being punishable at the same time. Standing in front of the opponent and giving yourself a frame disadvantage is clearly punishable.
But I'm asking, how do I avoid being punishable if almost everything is punishable?

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I'm not sure if jab, when it hits, will combo to grab. I don't believe so at the peak range, but if you're close then probably it works.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
It doesn't but, like LzR implied, it's fast enough to not let people SDI/react to it.
So it's legit if they're expecting longer jab cancel sequences, but they can punish if they mash/expect it.

@Crackle: Even with Snake I never use jab1 -> jab1 ever. I mean, Jab1 -> ftilt is guaranteed with the inner hitbox and the correct character. And Jab1 -> grab/ftilt are good enough mix-ups as it is already including the occasional Utilt on someone you jab in the air.

@Teluo: Poke was the one who brought it up on Marth to use the double jab. I just looked at it in frame advance a bit more. I would need to find the post again, but I believe double jab was not something marth could punish. Falco could shield before marth could do something and it was similar with other characters. Falco just doesn't' get any advantage on characters from his jabs for the few characters and scenarios I tried replicating. Usually it ended in like a -2 to 0 frame disadvantage for falco off of jab1 which is still much better than most characters in this game. In the end, all the stuff I have done with jab points to say that falco gets no advantage off of jabs into his other attacks, but he can be safe by going into shield.

I think a person will never SDI a jab except by mistake or in a bad spot. For example, if you always dthrow -> jab someone in friendlies at the ledge, then they might SDI the jab since the Falco had a habit. Its those mistakes and ill fortune that I think you certainly need mix-ups. If you buffer jab1 -> grab, then you might completely whiff on someone rolling or dodging if you hit a shield with jab in the first place. Or, you might jab them, but they planned to jab you and were too slow so they buffer a jab and hit you back by mistake. Its because of this that I find jab1 -> shieldgrab the better option to just jab1 -> grab since you can powershield occasional jabs sent your way.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Why would you even jab after Dthrow? It does like 4% while a spike does much more and has crazy followup potential. And it's important not spike characters with great recoveries offstage, but on the stage for techchasing.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Jab is guaranteed if they DI down, down and away, or away as long as they are under 100% iirc. Far past the threshold that spike still works.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
@Crackle: Even with Snake I never use jab1 -> jab1 ever. I mean, Jab1 -> ftilt is guaranteed with the inner hitbox and the correct character. And Jab1 -> grab/ftilt are good enough mix-ups as it is already including the occasional Utilt on someone you jab in the air.
Snake's Jab1 to Jab 1 is worthless. What on earth were you responding to that I had said?
At most I can say Falco's Jab1&2 on repeat is a good mindgame for opponents near the ledge.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Ugh.
Falco's Jab 1 is -6 on Hit.
Jab 2 is -4 on Hit.
Jab loop is -Infinity on Infinite Hits.

Our safest option to getting a Grab outside of shield grabbing a miss spaced move is using double Jab because we're able to block any aerial or move that's frame 5 or slower. But if we apply human reaction time. No one will be able to react and execute that move fast enough. Unless they're mashing the button. Even the Marth's I play, I told them not to Up B the second Jab when it hits them because Falco will always power shield it, no matter the situation. Which makes Jab x2 -> Shield Grab our safest option to getting a grab.

The transition to Jab 3 is entirely unsafe.

For Jabx2 -> Jabx2 again, that repeat. I will say it's entirely viable as long as you don't try to do it more than two or three times, because, human reaction time and human error will allow us to be able to do this.

And doing Jab -> Grab is to be reserved as a Mix up from your normal Jab game, as the Jab will usually and more than likely cause people to sit in their shield.

Now, Jabbing a shield is ridiculously unsafe as people can grab Jab 1 before Jab 2 even has a chance to come out, and before we're able to spot dodge.

And the Dair will never hit anyone once they go into tumble. After CG percents, Down D-Throw -> Jab is very well since is tacks on more damage than any of our other throws. This only hits if they Di incorrectly. Which, no one Di's our throws properly.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Assume I hit Marth with Jab1 and he mashes UpB, can I get Jab 2 out fast enough to combo assuming I am not waiting, or can he theoretically mash out?

Speaking of Marth, I land jab2 and shield and he doesn't UpB. What are the options for both sides and how do I make the situation advantageous?

:phone:

Isn't it always better to spike from dthrow at the ledge instead of jab?
Why would you even jab after Dthrow? It does like 4% while a spike does much more and has crazy followup potential. And it's important not spike characters with great recoveries offstage, but on the stage for techchasing.
First, understand I was using an example to illustrate a point. The point I was getting at was a situation where a person knew with a high degree of prediction that a jab was coming. That situation was on the ledge after dthrow.

Now, yes, jab is not the ideal punish after a chain grab compared to a spike. But, I even stated that my example was in friendlies and not an actual match. Dozens of dittos I have done in friendlies never ended in CG -> spike but rather lesser options cg -> jab or gatling.

Its an insignificant detail why someone would jab over say spike. The more important thing for my discussion was making sure people understood what I was explaining regarding SDI on jab, and it seems to have failed.

Snake's Jab1 to Jab 1 is worthless. What on earth were you responding to that I had said?
At most I can say Falco's Jab1&2 on repeat is a good mindgame for opponents near the ledge.
To restate our previous conversation. You told me that if I played falcon/ike/snake I would have known about the crouch canceling idea better. Well, I play snake all the time, but I still did not know about it. I was explaining that I never use jab1 -> jab1. I assumed this is what our discussion was about since I see no need to crouch cancel from jab1 to say a tilt or a smash. You just time it properly. Jab 1 -> jab1 apparently needs crouching to actually work. And snake doesn't have an IASA on his jab2, so crouching there is useless as well. Thus, I did not think you would be referring to jab1 -> jab2 at all.

Nope. Nope, nope, nope. All they have to do is recognize a situation where they cannot stop you from jabbing and SDI. Then Wario claps you in the ear.
Again, I even said "a bad spot" which as you said, "situation where they cannot stop you from jabbing" would fall into the category of a bad spot.
Ugh.
Falco's Jab 1 is -6 on Hit.
Jab 2 is -4 on Hit.
Where did you happen to get these? From what I have done, it can vary by about a frame or two depending upon the character and how decayed it is. Also, there is some sort of mechanic where if they are low to the ground they seem to enter more lag which generally gave falco this 0 advantage on some. It was with just SDI up on a single frame that they no longer had this extra lag. Landing lag is part of it, but it lasted longer than 2 or 4 frames.

The transition to Jab 3 is entirely unsafe.
Its funny though on how often people cannot punish it right even among decent players.

This only hits if they Di incorrectly. Which, no one Di's our throws properly.
Not sure what the better DI is. Always thought it should be a mix-up since falco can easily cover nearly all options off of a dthrow. And the rest of his throws not really sure since Dthrow is so good. Could you give us your thoughts on that?
Assume I hit Marth with Jab1 and he mashes UpB, can I get Jab 2 out fast enough to combo assuming I am not waiting, or can he theoretically mash out?

Speaking of Marth, I land jab2 and shield and he doesn't UpB. What are the options for both sides and how do I make the situation advantageous?
Yes. Marth cannot hit you between jab1 -> jab2. If we are being realistic, he might still hit you because he managed to SDI behind you or above the hitbox for jab2. If jab1 and jab2 connect as soon as possible, then Marth cannot punish you for it.

If Marth doesn't UpB, then he either falls to the ground, does an aerial (if he is in the air high enough due to SDI or was falling to the ground in the first place), or he would jump. Falco's options are shield things since you choose to shield. Falco cannot get hit if jab2 connects and he manages to shield.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
With the jab, do you mean stuff like jabbing them and then they fall to their death if you don't react fast since they were expecting a spike? Or that they SDI straight into another grab?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I came here to Answer Qusestions, The thread seems off, I think it needs repairs.

They would get the extra lag from a hard/ soft landing. As our Jab will bring them up in the air, then place them back on the ground. Average sofr landing lag is 2 frames and hard landing is 4 frames. Which would explain your 0 frame advantage.

Judging from what Ryker said, if he didn't try to shield immediately after Jab 1, it has a larger disadvantage than before, since Wario's Uair is frame 8.
- I had originally got -6 for Jab 1 because I was not able to shield Marth's Up B, ever ( Through Jab -> Shield ) and it hits on frame 6.

- The -4 disadvantage was from your frame data which basically said..
- Marth's Up B hits frame 6.
- Falco is able to shield on Frame 5 after Jab 2 ends and we hold shield.
- Shield is Up on Frame 5 and 6. Marth's Up B hits on 6.
- Power shield happens within frames 1, 2, 3.

To Di his D-Throw Properly, Just Di..
- Up.
- Up Away.
- Up Toward.

Other throws.. I have no clue.. I don't use F-Throw ever and I only use B/ U-Throw for doubles.

As for LzR's question, it gives us more damage and can throw them off when they Di down, causing them to mess up their tech timing, for a Laser lock or Gatling Combo.
And if they Di up, the Jab can bait an air dodge into a smash punish when they're around 60-70%.

Wow. This is going back quite a ways with that thread.

I really only use it to reflect stuff these days. I'll occasionally throw it out randomly after a rapid jab. I run into people who decide they want to DI away and try to attack instead of SDI behind me, so I will shine them for doing that.

Oh, and if I feel like it, the reflector gets thrown out against aerial opponents that love to sit there like peach in her float or toon link on the SV platform over the edge.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I use it to interrupt aerial approaches sometimes.
I also use it to interrupt grounded approaches when they just dash in. ( Only when they're around +40% )
Those are my uses for it.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I use it as horizontal aerial spacing occasionally. It can reset a situation you don't like against characters like GaW or Marth. In general, however, it's not a good move.

I find it most useful against Tink, Falco, Pikachu, and Snake. Mostly as, well, a reflector.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Air catching! <3

Also, does anyone else use the Gatling Combo to bait shield grabs at random times ? Free Usmashes are pretty nice if they don't PS cancel the dash attack.

It will, but the percents it works up to is not as great compared to when people DI in a way which puts them towards the ground.

Dthrow -> jab usually works in the range of 70%-90% I thought. I think keitaro or DEHF tried doing something with the percents once. I just do not usually use jab follow-ups all that much.

I need to use gatling more. Always forget about it.

kismet2

Smash Ace
It will, but the percents it works up to is not as great compared to when people DI in a way which puts them towards the ground.

Dthrow -> jab usually works in the range of 70%-90% I thought. I think keitaro or DEHF tried doing something with the percents once. I just do not usually use jab follow-ups all that much.

I need to use gatling more. Always forget about it.
Gatling combo is an awesome combo

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
You know how sometimes Falco phantasms to the top of the ledge and he doesn't grab the ledge or land, and instead goes back into his normal falling animation? Why does this happen?

Ultimate~Anarchy

Smash Rookie
You know how sometimes Falco phantasms to the top of the ledge and he doesn't grab the ledge or land, and instead goes back into his normal falling animation? Why does this happen?
@ luxingo-It is a weird ledge cancel that is able to be controlled, just like wolfs side special.

(My Question.) Does the standing cg work on all the characters? The reason i ask is because it only seemed to work on fast falling characters for me.

Top Bottom