• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
i was messing around and found out that if you hold up, THEN press jump and A, you charge an upsmash. Is this know? I have no idea how this might be useful, but maybe it could lead to a new AT? I'm optomistic :).
You can also press Up and A at the same time. Hax, right?

Clel

Smash Journeyman
I don't main marth, I main Fair and second Dancing Blade, and I was just wondering what tier are those characters and why don't they have a character board? >(

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
i was messing around and found out that if you hold up, THEN press jump and A, you charge an upsmash. Is this know? I have no idea how this might be useful, but maybe it could lead to a new AT? I'm optomistic :).
I think you did a JC Usmash. So yes, it is known.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
1. Yes, really.
Fair has 8 frames of landing lag.
Fair has UP TO 30 frames of hitstun before it goes into the 'air dodge/attack' to cancel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3n4A...e=channel_page
Wow very helpful :).

And thanks for the video too. Nice combos thar.

So I'm guessing, the closer to the tip you hit them, the more hitstun they recieve?

Lol, Fair and DB I'd have to say, are Top Tire moves characters.

Alfa

Smash Apprentice
Strike Wario's Weak Point For Massive Damage!

Hello, Marth Boards, my name is Alfa, and I have a request. I have recently created a thread detailing the percents that other characters kill Wario at, and would like some input from your boards, as to whether or not I have gone through, and gotten the data for every hitbox that Marth has. I would appreciate your input, and ask that you post your responses in the thread I made, and not in here. Please note that so far, the data consists of the first percents that Marth kills Wario at from both the centre, and the edge of Final Destination, without any DI/Momentum Canceling at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The thread is here:

Strike Wario's Weak Point For Massive Damage!

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Not exactly. Good against crossups/ADs over you/Wario in general
Oh, oh lol.

Do you want that one sentence explained? If you do I'd gladly be of help, but I'm pretty sure standard reasoning on your side would explain it all.

Its horizontal range isn't too small.
Oh yes, yes it is. Running Usmash is decent, but you won't get anywhere with a standing one.

Apart of a select few situations in which your opponent is coming from above, you always have better options than usmash.

Daffy

Smash Rookie
Does anyone think marth os overrated cause I think he is. He's good but he's not like s tier bs where all of the moves are just so easy to connect with.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Does anyone think marth os overrated cause I think he is. He's good but he's not like s tier bs where all of the moves are just so easy to connect with.
Who says that he is S Tier?

We can't say whether or not we agree with said ratings, unless you provide them, since you're obviously not looking at the Tier List.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You know,

The reason why I think Marth and Meta Knight isn't such a terribad match up, and many Marths say ICs are even or still slightly advantaged to us, is because super theory bros puts Marth as one of the best characters in the game. He has options for everything in this game, with varying strengths, but the fact he DOES have those options in the first place, put's him above just about every character bar MK.

Marth is mad good, he is an excellent character, he just isn't "broken". And a character's ability to have move connects aren't everything... but your point is stupid... Marth has pretty amazing combo ability ... Hitting people with Marth is generally not the problem, it's his recovery or "backed into a corner" zoning that mess with him.
Depending on your definition of S tier though... I'm pretty strong on the ideal Marth is in the same tier as Falco/Wario.

Player-3

Smash Hero
You know,

The reason why I think Marth and Meta Knight isn't such a terribad match up, and many Marths say ICs are even or still slightly advantaged to us, is because super theory bros puts Marth as one of the best characters in the game. He has options for everything in this game, with varying strengths, but the fact he DOES have those options in the first place, put's him above just about every character bar MK.

Marth is mad good, he is an excellent character, he just isn't "broken". And a character's ability to have move connects aren't everything... but your point is stupid... Marth has pretty amazing combo ability ... Hitting people with Marth is generally not the problem, it's his recovery or "backed into a corner" zoning that mess with him.
Depending on your definition of S tier though... I'm pretty strong on the ideal Marth is in the same tier as Falco/Wario.
if your backed into a corner just jab jab jab jab jab jab jab

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
I think its simply marth's learning curve that holds him back. the amount of effort it takes to beat somone with marth is exponentially greater than the effort needed by the top tier characters, but not for lack of his ability to do so.

in theory marth has all the necessary tools to win, but to utilize those tools takes an amount of dedication and skill far beyond what the average player like me is capable of. where other characters peak with less required effort. its like playing a spacie in melee where you needed an insane amount of tech skill and reflex to pull off moves and strings that required lightning fingers. only with with brawl's marth you need all of it in your head. how you react, adjust, and use a situation mingled with flawless precision and understanding of your opponent is the essence of marth. and its an essence that is hard to grasp

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I think its simply marth's learning curve that holds him back. the amount of effort it takes to beat somone with marth is exponentially greater than the effort needed by the top tier characters, but not for lack of his ability to do so.

in theory marth has all the necessary tools to win, but to utilize those tools takes an amount of dedication and skill far beyond what the average player like me is capable of. where other characters peak with less required effort. its like playing a spacie in melee where you needed an insane amount of tech skill and reflex to pull off moves and strings that required lightning fingers. only with with brawl's marth you need all of it in your head. how you react, adjust, and use a situation mingled with flawless precision and understanding of your opponent is the essence of marth. and its an essence that is hard to grasp
Marth's learning curve really isn't that substantial. Snake, a very good character, has an enormous learning curve, but that doesn't affect his placing in the tiers.

Tiers are written, debated and decided based on the character's performance at the highest level. For example: Mario's placement would be decided by the level that Boss has brought him to, not where all of the scrubs have him, because that's considered his highest level of play in the current metagame.

To even mention that learning curve has any sort of relation to tier placement or character ability is, in all honesty, foolish.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Oh yes, yes it is. Running Usmash is decent, but you won't get anywhere with a standing one.
Not for me ;). Usmash will mostly not be the best choice to use OoS, but its horizontal range is good enough to punish anyone, who unsafely attacks your shield, a good amount of times.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Not for me ;). Usmash will mostly not be the best choice to use OoS, but its horizontal range is good enough to punish anyone, who unsafely attacks your shield, a good amount of times.
The timer on your .gif is bothering me.

While I'm on a .gif rant:

How do I turn a video I've taken into a .gif?

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
is the fthrow to dair used by anyone here on characters that are not the space animals?

SZ2K

Smash Rookie
I'm so sick of metaknight!! What's a good secondary for Math users to have for him??? My Marth has gotten so much better since I started going to tourneys.. I go in so confident. But I always beat out everyone till I get to a metaknight and that'll usually be ATLEAST one of my 2 eliminations. I always go through the first few rounds thinking I have a great shot at prize spots, but I just can't beat metaknights with Marth. I'm usually way ahead of my opponent and I can control the game so easily, but the way this character moves is just so stupid I dunno what the hell to do. I've looked at all the guides, but I have no one to practice with and fighting against metaknight seems extremely situational knowing what to do when he does this or that. So in conclusion... whats a good secondary for a Marth user? I'm not just looking for the best character to use against metaknight period, but a good enough character that a Marth user would be comfortable with. All help is appreciated!!!

Albert.

Smash Master
I'm so sick of metaknight!! What's a good secondary for Math users to have for him??? My Marth has gotten so much better since I started going to tourneys.. I go in so confident. But I always beat out everyone till I get to a metaknight and that'll usually be ATLEAST one of my 2 eliminations. I always go through the first few rounds thinking I have a great shot at prize spots, but I just can't beat metaknights with Marth. I'm usually way ahead of my opponent and I can control the game so easily, but the way this character moves is just so stupid I dunno what the hell to do. I've looked at all the guides, but I have no one to practice with and fighting against metaknight seems extremely situational knowing what to do when he does this or that. So in conclusion... whats a good secondary for a Marth user? I'm not just looking for the best character to use against metaknight period, but a good enough character that a Marth user would be comfortable with. All help is appreciated!!!
uhhhh...

I hate to do this but.

uhhh

MK

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yes, sorry to say, but Marth will probably be your best choice against MK. Snake can fight MK without being "pwned." Really depends on who you ask, but even if people say Snake is better against MK than Marth is against MK, Marth would still be a better choice simply because you don't have to learn a completely different character.

DDD, Falco, and Snake are some of the better secondaries. I recommend DDD though, as he deals with Snake well, which is, although may be even, a tricky matchup for Marth.

There's also a thread around here in the Marth Boards that explains thoroughly how to counter MK in many different situations.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Diddy can secondary marth fairly well since diddy does good agaisnt mk and marth has no bad matchups other than that and like.........rob

C.J.

Smash Master
I think Shaya mentioned you can fthrow (once) -> dair most of the cast. But you see it mostly on spacies/sheik because you can fthrow multiple times and actually get the kill from it. But I only know it works on spacies and sheik for sure. You'll have to have shaya answer for anyone else.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
oh, i know that they work. i have a vid of it on a good snake player.
you can multiple fthrow dair DDD but edge guarding it decently hard.
you can two fthrow diddy to spike and average edge guard.

there's a lot more.

i was just asking if anybody who goes to tourneys use it. or just successfully uses it. i just find them extremely helpful and think marth's should use them.

i don't see them used at all in vids.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yeah, there are a lot of tricks and combos that are really good out there, and they are known, but I guess the meta-game hasn't evolved yet for people to be doing those things consistently enough to find them in tourney play. I mean, Brawl is, after all, only 1 and a half years old right now. Five years from now, they'll probably start using all these neat combos like fthrow chain to dair and such.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
huh, well i use them a lot. if need, ill make a vid one day.

a lot of marths hate first hit of nair. but at higher percents it combos into utilt and DS for a easy kill this helps me cuz like everyone with marth i sorta have a problem killing. its especially usefull with a ledgehop.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
huh, well i use them a lot. if need, ill make a vid one day.

a lot of marths hate first hit of nair. but at higher percents it combos into utilt and DS for a easy kill this helps me cuz like everyone with marth i sorta have a problem killing. its especially usefull with a ledgehop.
It also combos at lower percentages.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
yea exactly, i think its super crafty tbh lol.

first hit nair into grab just seems sexy to me.

Top Bottom