• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Dekar173

Justice Man
I'd like some clarification- is dthrow x 10 (starting at 0% on Fox and Falco) guaranteed even with DI? I'm not quite sure if my friends are just terrible at DIing out of stuff, and when I try to escape it's more or less because they're messing up the chaingrab. Please let me know :D
EHHHHHHHHhHhHh?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Fighting against IC's will be much easier with more full hops and platforms. You can play safe and camp on platforms. Try to never touch the ground.

"I'd like some clarification- is dthrow x 10 (starting at 0% on Fox and Falco) guaranteed even with DI? I'm not quite sure if my friends are just terrible at DIing out of stuff, and when I try to escape it's more or less because they're messing up the chaingrab. Please let me know :D"

It's guaranteed, although you may need to Boost Pivot Grab depending on what throw you're on and how stale it is, whether you jab, etc. A tipped fsmash after the dthrows is also guaranteed.

It also works on Pikachu and Shiek. I forget which, but some of these four characters can be dthrow'd 11 times. I forget if it works on Wolf or not.

Yes, they can DI behind you on the last one. The neutral DB is the safest and most reliable.

Shadowblazen

Smash Cadet
Yeah I realized.. FD is my worst nightmare. All that seems to work is a bunch of retreating fairs everything else gets sheildgrabbed to a loss of 1 stock.
Try to ban FD if you can. But if you must play there, here's what I'd do:
Stand on the ground right outside their blizz range and watch what they do. If they retreat, move forward because they just gave you more stage control. If they approach you, please **** them. If they camp in place, camp right back and look for openings in between blizzards. Ice blocks aren't a problem. Use properly spaced safe pokes (d-tilt, rising/retreating f-airs) to apply pressure when you can. Mix up short hops and full hops, but remember that full hops could leave your underside open to IC's u-air. Use your second jump to get away and reset the situation if you need to. If they're not covering the ground with blizzard, you can approach with d-tilt. If you ever decide to grab, well it's probably a very bad idea but if you do for some reason--retreating pivot grab > u-throw. Obviously the bottom line is that once you land a hit on one or both of the IC's, you should try to follow it up and switch to aggro immediately. Either push them to the edge, into the air, separate them, or, even better, get them off the stage. Once you're in an advantageous position like this, just proceed to lay on the hurt. You know, gimping Nana and all that. If you do well, there's a good chance you might even be able to call it a stock. Meh, FD is a pain. Play gay and patiently and
plank or counterpick Snake
. Just stick to places with platforms if you can. It makes life a lot easier.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Which mod wants the honor of locking all of Neon-X's threads and whos gonna flame him for not putting a flame shield on when he posts a bunch of new threads?

Hes new, go easy on him =P

Gah777

Smash Lord
Lol okay, so they make a good couple. What I meant was are marth an zelda a good team for team battles? How well can they cooperate? What are some good strategies? Can/do they cover each others weaknesses? Over all are they a good fighting duo?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
They cannot all be unpunishable o.o Slow DB I can explain for the PS attempt, but what about the DB that ends with the 4th hit being DownB. That combination of DB is 7 hits that allow you to DI behind marth before the final hit goes and you can punish him there.
Obviously DB Down is punishable >_<

I assumed general knowledge didn't have to be addressed.

mventre

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone could give me any good tips (or practice tips) for executing Marth's grab-release on Metaknight to whatever (fair or dancing blade ..I'm not going to attempt dair yet). It seems that after MK is release out of the grab I cannot get to him in time to land a fair or initial hit of dancing blade. Are you suppose to immediately dash once MK is released from the grab? Also, would the fair hit him right before he hits the ground or alittle before? Thanks ..

Turazrok

Smash Master
Running off the edge towards an opponent below the stage, what options do I have that can gimp him?

vaderseven

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone could give me any good tips (or practice tips) for executing Marth's grab-release on Metaknight to whatever (fair or dancing blade ..I'm not going to attempt dair yet). It seems that after MK is release out of the grab I cannot get to him in time to land a fair or initial hit of dancing blade. Are you suppose to immediately dash once MK is released from the grab? Also, would the fair hit him right before he hits the ground or alittle before? Thanks ..
I logged on to ask the same question.

I am just trying to get the grab release to fair down and I either seem to walk out of the grab release (which is fail), throw MK (also fail), OR i dash forward but i do so LATE so no chance to fair (again FAIL).

What is the correct way to time and execute the dash to fair?

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
go into 1/4 speed and look at marth when he is able to move, and learn the timing he is able to move. after that dash right when u can move. i think marth will take two steps or maybe one in addition to his dash step. then u fair.

personally i dont use DB out of air break, but that's just me.

@Turazrok

bair, depending on weight and FF speed DB1, DS and grab ledge. This is what i would use in the scenario you gave us.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
For the GR on MK, you'll hit him a bit before he touches the ground (visually his body won't touch the ground).

The timing is tricky, as you need to buffer the dash. You have to input the dash while MK is "breaking out" but still grabbed. It'll feel like you're doing it way to early, but that's how the timing feels.

FF DB1 and Bair are fun, but Fair would be simplest and safest in most occasions and in most people's preference.

You can also walk off and use a Counter. If you position it correctly, meaning that you perform a Counter in a way so that you face the stage, you can get an easy stage spike.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Running off the edge towards an opponent below the stage, what options do I have that can gimp him?
If you want to be a little safer: Run off>Fastfall>Ledge grab>Ledge drop>Fair

If you want to be a little quicker: Run off>Bair

Another option is: Run off>Fastfall>Pivot Dolphin Slash

A mixup: Run off(>Fastfall)>U-Air

Or: Run off>Fastfall(>Ledge grab>Ledge drop)>Shay-Air

clowsui

Smash Legend
that's extremely unsafe considering gw's disgusting options to punish you

but i'm pretty sure the di is towards

the better option is to di away and out of it into shield then up b...alternatively you could just not shield and space a dtilt or if the gw has horrible reaction time fsmash

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
Does NEO have any new videos?... I learn from watching pros, but mikehaze's style just isn't as "me" as NEO's.

Also, we need an updating video thread.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Wow cool! Good thing tourney isn't over yet :D. Thanks for the link.

Edit: Oh nevermind I thought it was a stream, unless if I'm wrong about being wrong XD.

Is that Neo btw?

C.J.

Smash Master
How fast and fluid he moves never ceases to surprise me. When I first saw the recording, I thought it was sped up some before I looked at the timer, lol.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
His marth is the product of constant and consistent hours of hard work.

I would never dream of wasting as much time on this game as he does, but he enjoys it so props to him. Shows what dedication can get you.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Hey peeps :D

Yeah I don't know if any of you guys still remember me, but i've been playing brawl+ for a while but another smasher made me come back to play vBrawl. So i missed a lot, that's the feeling I got. So yeah, basically, i have trouble with killing, and yeah that's the only thing i ''lost'' in the time i played B+. So any tips on how to kill better? I can read Air dodges and stuff, but the thing is, Fsmash or Usmash never hits D=.

LFL

Smash Journeyman
What should i be doing in training mode? I've seen the video of the Marth on battlefield. I'm just wondering if there is anything else i should be practicing.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
When playing against IC's, is it better to choose the higher or the lower port?
Higher.

What should i be doing in training mode? I've seen the video of the Marth on battlefield. I'm just wondering if there is anything else i should be practicing.
Practice literally eveyr aspect of your game. Movements, spacing, attacks, anyhting you can think of.

Yeah I don't know if any of you guys still remember me, but i've been playing brawl+ for a while but another smasher made me come back to play vBrawl. So i missed a lot, that's the feeling I got. So yeah, basically, i have trouble with killing, and yeah that's the only thing i ''lost'' in the time i played B+. So any tips on how to kill better? I can read Air dodges and stuff, but the thing is, Fsmash or Usmash never hits D=.
Grabs are your easiest way of killing, next is just playing constant pressure until they slip up.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
What Marth on Battlefield? o.0

Yeah, grabs are very fun to kill with too, or at least for me. Nothing like grabbing someone at 180% and upthrowing them :D, except may be a Shieldbreaker kill.

Other relatively good kill moves that can be used are Dancing Blade, Dolphin Slash (risky so be sure to know when you should use it), utilt, and of course any tippered aerial.

Oh that leads me to a question. Which of Marth's aerials have the most knockback? Is there a chart or anything somewhere? I know there's probably a lot of things to consider like stun DI etc, but which one is generally the strongest? I feel that Nair is strongest but I'm not sure =/.

And how much does Neo really play?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

Up+B OoS. Nair. Bair. Utilt.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242138

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
And the fact that DB1 cancelling leaves you open to every single attack while shield protects you against everything but grabs, but since nobody is gonna try and grab a running marth, shield is very nice.
Or you could just boost walk everywhere like i do =D

Top Bottom