• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Is it possible to FF nair 1st hit to a follow up move out of the grab release on mk?

Can Marth boost pivot?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Each hit of Dancing Blade counts as a separate move, so it refreshes your set quickly. Also, it means that if you connect with only the last hit or two, you have major kill power.

Marth can boost pivot.

I'll ask in the Smash lab about clashing frame data tomorrow, but assuming yes since jabs just bump into each other over and over.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
"Each hit of Dancing Blade counts as a separate move, so it refreshes your set quickly. Also, it means that if you connect with only the last hit or two, you have major kill power."

Oh wow, can't believe I never knew that o.0

So from what you said, DB will refresh other moves, but it does not refresh itself, correct?

Nike.

Smash Hero
Against ness, how can marth deal with retreated fair, both short and fastfall? DS out of shield wont work and fair doesnt seem to outrange his and I end up taking 1-2% everytime.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Down tilt his feet.
Whilst Marth is crouching, Ness has to move in closer, giving him less leeway to retreat as well.

And clashing moves has to do with HIT LAG.
Try clashing anything with Wolf's forward tilt and see what happens.

This allows Marth to use his JAB, with its 3 frames of hit lag only, to gain small frame advantages on clashes.
For example, using Jab to clash against Snake's ftilt. You get a few frames 'profit' for doing so, and as Snake's ftilt does outrange Marth for the most part, aiming for the clash to outspeed him (just like how a low tier/****ty character would against us *lol sigh*) usually gives Marth enough time for a guaranteed dancing blade (if you're prepared for it).

goodkid

Smash Lord
What does it take to become a good Marth main?(Dedication/Spacing/Matchups?)

How do I get better @ reading & predicting my opponents?

-It seems like everyone on this board knows how to do this.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
What does it take to become a good Marth main?(Dedication/Spacing/Matchups?)

Reading/Watching a lot. Lots of time and practice. Just play a lot and play with a purpose in mind. Dedicate time to learning everything you need to know whether it be spacing, what to do in certain situations, etc.

How do I get better @ reading & predicting my opponents?

Playing enough to know all of your opponents options in every situation, and knowing which option they are most likely to use based on effectiveness and trends you've noticed.

-It seems like everyone on this board knows how to do this.

No. Most of do to an extent, but very few of us can actually play Marth at a really high level.
Replies in red.

Helior

Smash Rookie
HOW DO YOU BEAT A LUCARIO?! a fsmash of lucario cant be punished and he ca roll away too fast :( plz help

Helior

Smash Rookie
Ive eanding that topic but that says that the only punish option for lucario fsmash is the shielbreaker :O

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Ive eanding that topic but that says that the only punish option for lucario fsmash is the shielbreaker :O
Lucario's fsmash barely has any cooldown, but the startup is very long. You shouldn't be giving him enough room/time to be consistently putting out fsmashes. pressure the **** out of him. Learn to be alert and pay attention to rolls so that you can punish with db or a smash. Also, knowing your opponents tendencies will help with punishing rolls and his fsmash as well, though that really shouldn't be a problem.

Reizilla

Is Steel2nd really a girl?
I never thought he was, which is odd, considering how usually when people have girl avatars, I usually think they're girls, but he used "she" when he was locking that other thread. I'm using "he" as a grammar rule, by the way.

One more thing, anybody know how long it usually takes to get a blue name?

Reizilla

He's not a girl, and you need to host a in person tourney or wi-fi tourney to obtain a blue name.
Ok, that's what I thought. And I already have hosted an in person tourney (2 actually) and applied and linked to the thread. That was a couple of days ago, so I just wanted to know how long I had to wait since I have another one coming up next weekend.

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about db1 to grab...Well its more of a request
i never do this but ive seen some other people use this.
I just want to never everything there is to know about db1 to grab.
thanks in advance

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I have a question about db1 to grab...Well its more of a request
i never do this but ive seen some other people use this.
I just want to never everything there is to know about db1 to grab.
thanks in advance
It's a mixup/gimmick depending on the person your playing. Since it's reaction to shield a DB, a safe on the block DB1 can lead into the grab.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
controlling the ground is a little difficult especially with all those mines on the ground
Actually, ther grenades are more the problem. His c4 is pretty easy to avoid and you can bait him into detonating it. The downsmash can be taken care of with your invincibility frames after death; you could also throw Snake into it.

It's not so much controlling the ground as it is just playing it. You need to be able to take care of both ground and air. Just don't get above him; that's hell on Earth.

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
Anybody have any good situations to use SB?

These are the only ones I know of so far:
1st hit of DB- SB
Retreating Fair- SB
Pass through Fair- Bsticked SB

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Anybody have any good situations to use SB?

These are the only ones I know of so far:
1st hit of DB- SB
Retreating Fair- SB
Pass through Fair- Bsticked SB
The first hit of DB to SB is more of a gimmick and your at a frame disadvantage afterwards.

Ledge drop Sb is a nice little mix up to catch your opponent off guard.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Nair goes through it if well spaced.

It's just that when Tornado is used optimally, Up B isn't going to be effective out of shield. Nor is many other options on reaction...

Player-3

Smash Hero
how2beat snake

i got beat today in tourny by 2 snakes

and one of them was lambchops, it was a pretty close match

the other snake was a pretty good one, but i just dont know the matchup

i think i got a replay of one of the matches so ill see if i can get it uploaded, but srsly, i was winnning until i got hit by an explosive

then it was like an exploding train wreck
\:

and yes i was sairing

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Sairing? Shaya airing? or is it something else...

Predict possible times that he might DACUS into/towards you, and use a dtilt... it'll hit him out if he does come.

Keep him in the air... juggle him or something

Get rid of his downsmash (if needed) with your invincibility frames after you lose a stock or roll onto the stage or etc from the ledge.

Bait his ftilt and DB him

I find dtilt one of the more useful moves against Snake, just cus of its pokefulness :)

You can try to DS out of his ftilt / jab.

Catch his nades and glide throw into combos !!

Gimp?

Idk much actually about most of his individual moves...

Brutos

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I'm actually having trouble against a friend that plays snake. I have a hard time predicting the snake dash while he controls the stage with mines. any quick advice?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Whenever you feel like he might DACUS, (which, in most cases is when you're about half the distance of a snake dash away from him), then just throw out a dtilt. It'll hit him out of it and you can follow up with a DB.

If he throws nades at you, then you can use them to glide toss them back. It's a good way to get you closer to him.

If you start approaching him faster, he might start snake dashing to the other side more. Be prepared to dtilt :).

Try to notice patterns. For example, when does he put down a mine? What does he do after the mine? Does he snake dash to the other side and then detonate it? Or does he snake dash away first to the middle of the stage then put down a mine? Learning his patterns will also help you predict when he will DACUS...

What I'm about to say may seem pretty obvious, but if you're still having trouble... if you've played Snake or have a good idea of how Snake plays like (which you probably do), then pretend that you're playing as Snake, isntead of Marth for a quick second. Think this: will a DACUS work here? If yes, throw out a dtilt. If no, then approach him like any other character.

Top Bottom